Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - **Complete**

Civis

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire

How in the world are the turks manageing to send epic stacks against you when they have all of five cities?

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Well it's relatively easy to make a full stack with just one city, provided it's upgraded high enough and you have enough money. It just depends on how far the Turkish cities have been upgraded.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

I think the Turks are trying their hardest... against the greater of two foes.
    Oh; Skantarios, thou art the first recipient of my +rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernem View Post
    @Skantarios

would you please compete for the MAARC! An AAR as yours should be displayed and will be shurely awarded!
    Okay. You've all convinced me. I have submitted my AAR to the MAARC!

I appreciate all the support and the gentle nudge to submit my work. Please vote when the competition begins.

And, again, thanks for reading!
    Read the review of I am Skantarios! in the Critic's Quill here.

Working on the next update now. I won't have it up tonight but perhaps tomorrow or Thursday. I have also taken a pause to consider my options on how to proceed with the campaign.

I have decided to do this in four phases:

1) Drive through southern Anatolia. Take Smyrna and Isparta and, perhaps, recapture Ankara with a move south to take Iconium.

2) Consolidate forces and establish stable defensive front.

3) Make a raid to Alexandria and Cairo and tear out the economic heart of Egypt! Perhaps take Nicosia in the process.

4) Return to Anatolia and commence drive down the coast of the Middle East with the goal of capturing Jerusalem and then continue to Mecca itself.

Those are the broad strokes. I may extend any of the phases somewhat in light of the strategic opportunities that present themselves. Depending on my strength at the time, I may also embark on some sub-campaigns with some of the other family members should resources be available.

Thanks to all who have submitted their insights on how best to proceed!

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Turkey Lord View Post
    Oh; Skantarios, thou art the first recipient of my +rep.

Thank you very much!
    Speaking of which, I don't know too much about the history of the Eastern Roman Empire, which Anatolian settlement is most precious to the empire? (And will that be influencing your campagin?)

Historically speaking, the cities on the southern coast on Anatolia were most important due to their Greek background and the rich trade possibilities. They also formed the basis of the original Roman province back in the 100's BC. Also, for a long time, Antioch was considered the "Third City of the Empire" and played a very symbolic role but that is a conquest for a slightly later time.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNat View Post
    This is only a suggestion but u could turn West to Italy and be orginal also it might be more interessting that just slugging it out with Egypt the whole time. It was Byzantine soil once with Belisarius conquers.

As of now, I am going to stay out of Italy. I think the conquest of Rome is more of a "lifetime goal" of Skantarios. For the near term, he is more concerned with beating back the Muslims and reestablishing the old Eastern Roman Empire. The fight for Italy is in the future but it is definitely on the radar screen.

This AAR is truly magnificent, one of the best I've read from the whole TW series. +rep to you Skantarios. May I suggest that upon the death of Skantarios you keep the savegame so you can make a sequel AAR some day? That would make an amazing AAR, maybe you could rebuild the Empire in the west too?
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Bernem's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Skantarios View Post
    Okay. You've all convinced me. I have submitted my AAR to the MAARC!

I appreciate all the support and the gentle nudge to submit my work. Please vote when the competition begins.

And, again, thanks for reading!

Yeah, great news. I'll certainly vote for you!

You should also consider helping out your northern allies against the HRE. I see you share a border with them now.
    Send an army just strong enough to capture their settlements and give them back to Hungary, and then raid as much German territory as possible in the 'burnt earth' style

I have just returned to the forums after a fortnight without a pc... and I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed the epic struggle against the forces of the Jihad. Please permit me to ask some questions, and make some suggestions.

I would love to see Benedek campaigning in the north to support your Hungarian allies, as suggested above. Hungarys given you a stable frontier for a long time, you don't want to see them weakened or knocked out of the struggle.
    I think the Sicilians deserve an expedition almost as much as the Egyptians. If you can quickly take Palermo and Syracuse you can easily defend the straits of Messina and force an unwelcome peace upon their rump state.
    Your Campaign in Anatolia needs you to take and hold Cilicia... a strong expeditionary force and strong garrison can hold up wave after wave of Egyptians while you clean up the rest of Asia Minor.
    And do you use Mounted Acritae at all? I use them extensively, to assassinate generals and heavy targets with their javelins, and then to chase enemy light infantry and routers off the field, they take heavy casualties but they are cheap and pack a punch. Also Skythikon are excellent horse archers, and Alamanoi handy heavy swords, etc from your hetairia recruitment stations can be very useful.

Loving this aar, I will be voting for you!

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

Possibly best AAR ever made in the history of AARs?
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

@eregost
    Second.

Content Emeritus

@eregost
    Second.
    Again, third!

I'm so voting for this one!

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Great update as always. Good to see the Jihad is finally over.

Default Counter-Offensive in Anatolia and the Defense of Arta

From the Diaries of Emperor Skantarios.

June, 1492 AD

My armies are once again on the move! Being back in the saddle at the head of the glorious troops of the Empire is a feeling that I had missed more than I care to admit this past year. Still, my happiness is tinged with a degree of sadness as I look about and see so many new faces. Many veterans remain but there are so many new, young faces... Seeing these eager soldiers reminds me of how many of my comrades are gone. How many we have lost.

As we approach the Straits, I recall keenly the last time I made this journey just two short years ago following the Battle of the Bosporus. Then, I was in command of just a shadow of an army coming back to lick our wounds. This time, I resolve that we shall not return short of complete victory.

We make the crossing of the Straits in good time. The Home Fleet is keeping the Bosporus clear of hostile naval forces and once again we have mastery of at least these waters. The incredible expense of fleet construction keeps us from expanding our control further but I hope that one day we can bring back the Black and Mediterranean Seas under our control.

Reports from my advance scouts show that Genessios continues to hold out against the Turkish army. However, they also report that the Turkish siege equipment is nearing completion and that they could attack at any moment. I hold little hope that the garrison can beat back the invaders should it come to that. I spur on my forces at a forced march in a race against the clock to reach Canakkale in time.

As we crest the last hill before the fortress, we see the Turks breaking camp and moving to the siege engines. We've made it just in time.

The Turks see our standards, abandon their camp, and turn to face our army.

Second Battle of Canakkale - July 1492.

Spoiler for Second Battle of Canakkale

From Battle Report Filed by Emperor Skantarios to Imperial Archives - 1492 AD.

The Turkish general goes by the name Timur. This auspicious name does not match the size and quality of his forces.

I note that he is lacking in spearmen and his forces consist mostly of archers with only a little heavy cavalry.

My forces have received some of the veterans that were away for retraining but we are still weaker than in previous years.

To compensate for the lack of my veterans, I have brought some spearmen as well as a few archers. These men will hold the attention of the Turks as my horse archers and light cavalry move to the flanks. We are outmatched in a ranged duel so we will instead rely on shock and speed to win this battle.

The Turks have arrayed themselves on a hill overlooking a valley and seem in no hurry to move away. They are clearly counting on the height of their position to give them an advantage in the battle.

My infantry are on the opposite side of the valley and out of range of the enemy Janissary and heavy archers.

I send my light cavalry out to the wings. When they are almost in place, Timur begins repositioning his forces to meet my new disposition. When the foot archers start to move, I give the signal for the light cavalry to charge.

My men move quickly but the terrain hampers their movement. They take some losses from the enemy's arrows but soon close and crash into the archers.

I personally lead the charge against Timur and swamp him with my heavy cavalry.

Timur is crushed under the weight of my chargers. I wonder for an instant if he was, indeed, in any way related to the infamous general of the Timurids.

With the death of their general, the few survivors of his bodyguard flee.

The few heavy infantry are meat for my horse archers and offer little in the way of resistance.

We take more casualties than I would have cared for but the victory is ours.

With the defeat of Timur, the siege of Canakkale is lifted!

Genessios comes out to the battlefield and presents himself to me as a supplicant. The defeat near Smyrna obviously still weighs heavily on him and the anguish of the loss is etched in his face. He has clearly driven himself to distraction wondering what punishment I would levy against him when we finally meet.

I allay his fears immediately and embrace him as a father would a son in front of the men. The mistakes of the past are forgiven; we can start fresh. It's just good to see my son after the troubles of the past few years. His relief is palpable and the shadows on his face seem to fade away in a moment. We leave the battlefield together as we make our way into the fortress.

Once we enter Canakkale, Genessios introduces me to his bride, Chrysi. She is a fine but unremarkable girl. Unfortunately, their union has produced no children, yet, but they are both young and there is plenty of time.

My spies report that there is a small Turkish army stationed just south of Smyrna.

Perhaps an attack on the army will draw out the garrison and we can defeat them both without having to commit the time to a siege? After installing the infantry at Canakkale, I order our forces to start the march south. I take only my cavalry and the horsemen from the garrison.

I also decide to take Genessios with me. Getting him out of this fortress and away from the soft embrace of Chrysi will, I believe, go a long way towards restoring this man's confidence and get him "back in the saddle" and ready to command troops once more. I need my son to be an able field commander and not simply a garrison captain.

We make a quick march south. I am dismayed when we pass by the battlefield of our previous defeat by both Genessios's reaction and the state of the Roman bodies. Genessios is clearly distraught and has obviously not put the disaster behind him. As for the state of our honored dead, they have been left where they lie by the Turks. There is naught more than bones and a few scraps of clothing remaining but I will not have these men's dignity tarnished any longer. I order a detachment of our men to go to the nearest town and "requisition" strong peasant men with shovels, wagons, and wheelbarrows. We then set out and gather the remains of our brothers for a proper burial. The ceremony is somber and bitter. So many lost for so little gain. The Turks' disregard for our dead angers us in a way that is both unfamiliar and dark. When it comes time to continue the move south, my men are in a particularly foul mood. I almost feel sorry for the first Turks to face them. Almost.

The remainder of the march is conducted at lightning speed. We stay well away from the city in order to not arouse their suspicions. Our scouts confirm the location of the Turkish army south of the city and we come upon them just after dawn. They stumble out of their camp and draw up their battle lines. From my position, I can see riders speeding back to the city to alert the garrison and, I hope, bring them as reinforcements. Perfect...

Second Battle of Smyrna - October 1492 AD.

Spoiler for Second Battle of Smyrna

From Battle Report Filed by Emperor Skantarios to the Imperial Archives 1492 AD.

The first Turkish army commanded by the noble Bahadir Denktas consists mainly of some spearmen and short range horse archers. I do note that they have a full company of the fearsome Janissaries.

The garrison of Smyrna makes haste to link up with their countrymen.

They consist of some halberd militia and Janissary archers. The archers could cause some problems for us if we are not careful. We just won't give them the chance.

Our forces are relatively small but are positively rabid with desire to come to grips with the Turks.

The Turk's nearly two-to-one advantage in numbers is insignificant compared with our resolve to avenge our brothers.

I decide to split my army up into two parts. I will command the forces facing the field army and will keep my loyal Serbian heavy cavalry with me as well as most of the horse archers. Genessios will command all the light cavalry and one company of heavy cavalry. His task will be to ensure that the garrison reinforcements never reach their brothers.

The battle begins when my Cavalarii horse archers race out to the flanks to find some high ground and bring down the Turkish horse.

Their fire on the enemy horse is accurate and deadly. The enemy horse fall by the dozen.

To the north, Genessios leads his men in a devastating attack against the Janissary archers. Genessios has been waiting years for his revenge and he attacks the Turks with abandon.

Genessios has always been a fine horseman and a fierce warrior. In fact, his skill in battle is what led me to appoint him as the commander of my bodyguard before I adopted him as my son. From the devastating effects of his charge, it is clear he has lost none of his skills as a soldier. The enemy archers buckle under the powerful charge and we soon put one company to flight. The horse circle around the halberds and charge again against the archers who were able to avoid the first assault.

All the rage and anguish of the past four years melts away in a blood soaked cleansing as both Genessios and our light horse take out their anger on the archers. Only a few are able to run fast enough to escape. The vast majority don't.

The Turkish general has lost most of his bodyguard to our archers. I vent some of my own rage as I lead my bodyguard against him. Unfortunately, one of my own men beats me to the kill.

After the general falls, I allow my Magyars to finish the rest from a distance.

The few who flee are ridden down and in a relentless pursuit.

The victory is complete and nearly bloodless for our forces. The mood of my men and me is clear. There are no prisoners taken.

We return the "favor" done by the Turks to our men of the First Battle of Smyrna. The enemy dead are left where they fell and allowed to rot in the sun. Let the dogs and carrion feast on Turkish bodies this year.

With the complete defeat of the two Turkish armies, the city is left open to us and we sack it with relish. We have avenged the defeat of four years ago and struck a terrible blow against the Turks in southwest Anatolia. Smyrna is ours.

I order reinforcements sent down from Adrianople and Canakkale to consolidate our position.

June, 1493 AD

I wish to continue the march east without too long of a pause in order to build on the momentum of the past year. Therefore, I have continued on to Isparta with only my core forces. The spies I sent east have successfully infiltrated the fortress but have not given me the signal that the gate guards have been bribed.

When my forces approach the citadel, the gates are firmly locked against us. Therefore, I am forced to lay siege to the citadel and await the reinforcements coming from Europe. Vitos has sent me a messenger and states that he will be here early in the new year and is bringing cannons to blast a way into Isparta. If my spies can't succeed, then my gunpowder will.

I have also received reports that the Sicilians have laid siege to Arta. Again. What caused them to break off the siege last year is still not known. Whatever it was, they have decided to give a siege another try. The garrison there is strong and I am not overly concerned.

As I sit outside of Isparta, I have time to reflect on the events of the past few years and go over the Imperial Chronicle. As I review my entries in this record, I realize that I have been remiss in recounting the changes to our Imperial Family over the past ten years. The growth of our empire in the recent past has necessitated the need for strong governors and generals to augment the nobles of our bloodline. Therefore, I gave permission to Genessios (in his capacity as Megas Domestikos) to adopt several promising generals into the official family. I must say that Genessios has been selective and made excellent choices.

The first general adopted was from a recommendation from the Council of Nobles. His name is Georgios. He was installed with the rank of Lord Seneschal and currently oversees the economic activity in Europe. I also gave him the responsibility of being the administrator for Bucharest. I have heard rumblings that he is not happy with his current post but continues to serve admirably and with honor. I will continue to watch him though in case his discontent with his current position gives him ideas about rebellion.
    Spoiler for Georgios

The second general adopted was Vitos Vasilidis. He was adopted from the ranks after he successfully destroyed a bandit army south of Scopia. He is a strong military man of no little ability. I must also admit, he is my favorite. He has made quite a name for himself putting down minor rebellions and battling bandits in Europe. As I have need of good military men in Anatolia, I have given him charge of bringing down reinforcements from Sofia and Adrianople. Even now, he is marching hard for Smyrna and will join me in the assault for Isparta.
    Spoiler for Vitos

The third general adopted was Kalamodios Kymineianos. He was adopted only two years ago and is currently serving as governor of Sofia. He is an able administrator but otherwise unremarkable. He will serve in lower level functions that still require an administrator linked to the Imperial Family.
    Spoiler for Kalamodios

The final general adopted by Genessios was Aleksios Chortasmenos. He was adopted only this past year. He is a decent general known more for his loyalty than any particular ability. Still, loyalty in these troubled times is worth more than gold. I have installed him as the governor of Nicea and have provided him a large garrison to safeguard the city versus the Egyptians and Turks.
    Spoiler for Aleksios

Although I authorized Genessios to make these adoptions, I am somewhat concerned that he is gathering too much power to himself. As my adopted son, he wields considerable influence. However, I have made it perfectly clear that Vasileios is the rightful heir as my father's other biological child. Should something happen to me, the succession is clear.

However, for security's sake, I will restrict the command of field armies to only men of direct link to my father or myself. The rest will have to content themselves with supporting and administrative roles. We will have great need of this if we are to continue the expansion of our Empire.

The adoption of these men is made even more necessary as the marriage of Anna and Benedek has yielded nothing but girls (three so far!). Why is our bloodline so cursed that we cannot seem to produce male heirs? If we are to have a continuation of the Laskaris name, then Vasileios will have to produce them. Therefore, I have given him permission to seek out an appropriate princess to wed.

Some years back, he swore that he would not marry until the threat of Jihad was over. Now that the city is secure, it is time for him to find a suitable bride and start to produce an heir of his own. There are many eligible princesses who travel through our land, perhaps he will take a liking to one of them and bring us another ally.

March, 1494 AD.

The construction of the siege equipment was tedious but necessary. Vitos has been true to his word and arrived after a forced march. The cannons he brings are very welcome as is the smattering of infantry. With these forces, I feel confident in an attack. Also, I wish to see if the reports on Vitos's fighting ability have been true or just propaganda from back home.

Battle of Isparta, April 1494 AD.

Spoiler for Battle of Isparta

From Battle Report Filed by Emperor Skantarios to the Royal Archives 1494 AD.

My spies have failed to open the gates for a second time. Therefore, we are forced to conduct a standard assault. Not my preference but so be it.

My spies report that the Turkish garrison consists of some heavy cavalry and horse archers as well as some archers and one company of spears (at least the spies were able to provide an accurate report!).

The enemy is distinctly lacking in heavy spearmen. This will bode well for us since the bulk of our forces are horsemen.

Our forces are mostly cavalry augmented with some infantry, archers, and three companies of cannons.

We split our forces up into two parts. To the north is the siege equipment, the infantry and some of the cavalry.

They will hold the attention of the garrison while the forces under my command attack the southern wall.

We have the cannons and most of the cavalry. Vitos is given the task of leading the initial rush through once the cannons have opened up a breach for us. He will prove his mettle this day.

The cannons pound away on an unguarded section of the wall until it is nothing but rubble.

The Turks respond slowly and allow time for Vitos to fly through the breach with his bodyguard and light cavalry. He soon gets involved in a stand-up cavalry fight with the enemy heavies and their horse archers.

This is no classic cavalry battle with charge and counter-charge. This is stand-up butchery from the back of a horse. The fight begins to go poorly for him so I lead my bodyguard and more cavalry to support. As I make my rush to the walls, I give the signal for the ram to attack the gates. For now, my archers and ladders maintain their position.

We soon overcome the enemy cavalry at no small cost. The flight of their cavalry causes the infantry on the walls to panic and attempt to flee to the inner keep.

Our horse pin them between Vitos's forces and my own.

At this point, the enemy general commits his own horse to the fight and he is brought down by our Pronarii heavy cavalry.

The final company of infantry abandons the walls just as the gate is battered down. My spearmen chase them back to the inner keep.

We crush them between our two forces. No infantry manage to make it through the gates to the inner fortifications.

Our cannon then blast through the second set of gates but the remaining cavalry continue to hide in the inner keep and do not sally out to meet us.

I refuse to take any more casualties in this fight and so order the archers to scale the walls with their ladders and then rain arrows down on the few horse hiding inside.

The battle, and the citadel, are ours.

We take over 100 casualties which, considering our numerical advantage, is too many. My desire to attack this fortification was, perhaps, too hasty.

We sack the citadel and tear down their mosque. Vitos truly proved his worth in this battle. I therefore install him as commander and leave him with the infantry and some of our depleted cavalry as a garrison. More reinforcements are on the way but it will still be some months before they arrive.

With the taking of Isparta, the presence of the Turks in southern Anatolia has come to an end. They are now confined to the rough coastal areas in northern Anatolia and other coastal areas further east.

The Turks may be gone from southern and central Anatolia, but the Egyptians are here in force. To them, I must now turn my attention. I set out from Isparta with my core cavalry forces and move north into the mountains of central Anatolia. I must brush aside some small Egyptian forces along the way. They flee when our banners appear but the retreat back in our line of advance. I have no choice but to bring them to battle.

Central Anatolian Skirmish - September, 1494 AD.

Spoiler for Skirmish

The enemy consists of the dangerous Mamaluke horse archers and some heavy foot archers.

My forces are overwhelming but I have no wish to take serious casualties in such a petty fight, so I will be careful.

I choose a rainstorm to attack to minimize the casualties from arrow fire.

The battle was simple. We send our horse archers to high ground.

Then charge the infantry archers.

I lead the attack against the horse and they are driven from the field.

Their captain is not so fleet of horse and is run down.

We take a few losses. I offer their forces up for ransom but it is refused.

The year is drawing to a close and I decide to take up winter camp in the mountains of Central Anatolia.

We will wait here for reinforcements and to block the enemy's path back to Isparta should they wish to try to take the citadel. Also, the mountains should give us an advantage should the enemy come and try to dislodge us. In the spring, we will continue our campaign in Anatolia and attempt to take Ankara back and avenge the loss of the province to the Egyptians.

While in winter camp, I receive a barrage of letters from my diplomats and generals. The first is from the garrison of Arta. The Sicilians have attacked!

Third Battle of Arta - October 1494 AD.

Spoiler for Third Battle of Arta

From Battle Report Filed by Captain Psellos, Commander of Arta, to Emperor Skantarios - 1494 AD.

The Sicilians are led by another noble of the Sicilian court. He has brought with him mostly archers, some light infantry, and two companies of heavy cavalry.

We outnumber the Sicilians by a wide margin and our infantry is better.

Further, we have augmented the garrison with another Mangonel.

The Sicilians rush the walls with ladders.

Fortunately for us, the assault forces consist of Muslim Archers and are no match for our heavy spearmen on the walls.

The Sicilian siege tower falls victim to fire and burns to the ground short of our walls.

Our Mangonels are now in range of the main body of the enemy and begin to throw barrels of fire over the walls.

We score several direct hits against the massed ranks of the enemy.

Better yet, our Mangonel scores a direct hit against the Sicilian general and his bodyguard.

He is consumed by fire along with his men and they all die a very painful death.

Even though their general lays dead in the field, the Sicilians press on with their attack and soon the ram has broken through our gate.

Their determination fails them with the first burst of Greek Fire from the Siphonores. The enemy flee back to their ships in a disorganized mob.

The few prisoners we take are offered for ransom. However, the Sicilians refuse to pay it. The prisoners are either sold off as slaves or executed.

The successful defense of Arta has once again cleared our western shores of the enemy. However, I have no doubt that the Sicilians will come back again as soon as they have finished licking their wounds. Their stubborn determination is only matched by their stupidity.

I receive further dispatches from Constantinople that Vasileios has decided to marry the young Hungarian princess visiting our lands. This princess, Judit, is visiting near the capitol and the advantages of strengthening ties to the Hungarian court are obvious. Perhaps I would have preferred a princess from another land to bring us a new ally but the alliance with Hungary is paramount to our plans for the future. Also, my own experience with a princess of Hungary has been nothing but positive. After ordering a report on her from my spies, I believe she would make a good match.

I believe the negotiations for the marriage will make a good mission for Likenia and so send her with authorization to offer what is necessary in order to broker the marriage. I am surprised by her response to our proposal. The Hungarian princess has turned down our offer of 5000 florins in favor of a lesser amount and our assistance in the fight against the Germans.

Judit will not say so openly but apparently the fight against the Germans goes poorly. She does reveal that they have already lost one province (Kassa).

She also states that the Germans are threatening Esztergam which lays only a few weeks march from their capitol.

The Poles have stood with Hungary but they are also hard pressed and have retreated back to their own territory.

Even though no hostilities currently exist between us and the "Holy Roman Empire" (a true farce of a name and a standing insult to us), I cannot have my northern front torn asunder by the incursion of the Germans for both practical and sentimental reasons. In practical terms, the Hungarians have long kept our northern border stable and have been good and true friends. They have traded openly and honorably with us, respected our borders, and shielded us from incursions by the Venetians and the Papacy. Also, King Bela was long a friend to my father and has been trusted ally to me. Finally, for sentimental reasons, Maria would never let me hear the end of it if I allowed her country to be subjugated by a foreign power.

Therefore, I hastily send a dispatch to Benedek with authorization to raise an army and march to the Hungarian's defense. He is the perfect choice as he personally knows most of the Hungarian commanders and was (is?) a confidant of King Bela. Also, Anna has pestered me constantly to give Benedek a better posting than the small castle of Iasi up in the cold northern regions. Although I am loathe entrusting another general with so much power (and one who may have conflicted loyalties), I see no other choice. I will remind Vasileios to keep the gates of Constantinople barred and the garrison troops loyal to the Laskaris family.

The Germans are strong and this will be no easy fight. Should Benedek fail, I must consider the possibility of turning my own army around and leading the counterattack myself. Time will tell if it comes to that.

I have sent couriers to our fortresses in the north to begin recruiting the troops to assist Benedek. Raising troops for an offense in the north will take some time, though. I hope the Hungarian forces can hold out long enough...

Finally, I send a personal note to King Bela with a simple statement: "We are coming."

I am Skantarios.
    Last edited by Skantarios; January 30, 2010 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonius View Post
    This AAR is truly magnificent, one of the best I've read from the whole TW series. +rep to you Skantarios. May I suggest that upon the death of Skantarios you keep the savegame so you can make a sequel AAR some day? That would make an amazing AAR, maybe you could rebuild the Empire in the west too?
    It is an interesting thought. I probably will keep the save game(s) from this for at least purely sentimental reasons. As for a sequel, I will have to give it some time before I think about that. This one still has a ways to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernem View Post
    You should also consider helping out your northern allies against the HRE. I see you share a border with them now.
    Send an army just strong enough to capture their settlements and give them back to Hungary, and then raid as much German territory as possible in the 'burnt earth' style
    You read my mind. When the Hungarian princess requested help, I thought that the perfect "Casus Belli" for a move against the north. Need to keep that front secure. Of course, the last thing I need is yet another enemy. The list is getting long...

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly Rabbit View Post
    I would love to see Benedek campaigning in the north to support your Hungarian allies, as suggested above. Hungarys given you a stable frontier for a long time, you don't want to see them weakened or knocked out of the struggle.
    In progress.

I think the Sicilians deserve an expedition almost as much as the Egyptians. If you can quickly take Palermo and Syracuse you can easily defend the straits of Messina and force an unwelcome peace upon their rump state.
    Tempting to take the fight to the Sicilians. They just keep coming. Unfortunately, the actual island of Sicily is controlled by the Spanish.

Your Campaign in Anatolia needs you to take and hold Cilicia...
    You are probably right on that but I don't want to delay the expedition to Egypt too long. Will see if there is an opportunity that lends itself to the attack.

And do you use Mounted Acritae at all?
    Not really. I have in the past but they are just so short range and run out of ammo so quickly. I'll give it another look though.

Quote Originally Posted by eregost View Post
    Possibly best AAR ever made in the history of AARs?
    Flattered but really that is too kind. Really. Still, I appreciate that you are all liking it so much. Gives me motivation to keep up the quality (and quantity).

Speaking of which, I will try to get up another update on Saturday. I have to do some playing and then knock out all the work to get the post up but I should be able to do it by Saturday (Sunday at the latest).

Again, thanks for all who are reading!

Great AAR truly wonderful. Hope you can beat zee Germans.

Nice update.
    Be careful with your military dealings with the catholics, you wouldn't want a crusade following the Jihad.
    Tiny little correction, but at the bottom of the report for
    the Second Battle of Smyrna: "X and me." is incorrect, it should be "X and I."
    I could so be a teacher.
    Keep it coming.

Content Emeritus

Could you post the minimap,so we can see how big the empire has gotten?

Thank's for the reply to my questions! As many have said above, this is a magnificent aar. A lot of promising aars fall by the wayside, so I hope you continue to find the time and energy to keep putting this one out.

Looking forward to the next stage in the campaign!

Great update, Great AAR +rep
    Et Tu Brute?