Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - **Complete**

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire

Quote Originally Posted by dezikeizer View Post
    I understand that that's what you meant, but you forgot to put the word of in that sentence.
    Wow, I must have looked at your comment about five times and still not picked up on the "of." Some days I am just especially dense.

Thanks, I've fixed it.
    Read the review of I am Skantarios! in the Critic's Quill here.

Default Taking the Fight to the Turk

From the Diary of Diadohos Skantarios, 1456-1459 AD.

Location: Outskirts of the fortress of Arta in western Macedon.

With the thaw of spring, I left Thessalonica for the fortress of Arta. Quelling the unrest in the once-great city took no small measure of both my patience and my administrative skill. The Greek citizens took their revenge on the Turk for so many years of oppression in an orgy of violence and looting. However, once they vented their rage on the Muslims, they then turned on those Christians who had cooperated with the Turk, then those who had benefitted from the occupation, and soon, those who had nice houses or rumors of hidden wealth.

After hanging several dozen of the worst offenders, the population had settled down enough in order for me to feel comfortable departing. I took with me the bulk of the cavalry I brought to the battle then linked up with some new cavalry from Mystras. I dispatched the bulk of the new infantry (as well as a Mangonel) to Thessalonica in order to keep the city under control and discourage any quick Turkish reprisals.

The march through the mountains to Arta was quick and the citizens in the small communities along the way welcomed us with open arms. My men soon took up siege positions around the fortress and awaited the signal from our spies that the city was "prepared" for our attack. However, the signal did not come. Frustrated at this delay (we have no time!), I reluctantly order the construction of siege equipment to take the fortress by storm.

No sooner had the first of the cut timbers arrived when extremely disturbing word reaches me. Thessalonica is under siege by a large, veteran Turkish force! The garrison I left behind is composed of almost entirely of new recruits and are outnumbered almost two to one. They cannot hope to stand up to a determined assault.

To continue the siege of Arta would condemn those left behind to certain doom. Worse yet, it would show those that now flock to our banner that we cannot stand up to the Turk. That we will provide no safety to those areas so recently reclaimed. On the other hand, the forces at my disposal number less than 400 cavalry. We still do not have sufficient horse archers nor heavy cavalry to compete head to head against a full Turkish field army. Even the addition of my forces to the garrison of Thessalonica would leave us outnumbered and outclassed.

In the end, I decide that I must commit my forces to battle. This is the greatest gamble I have taken in my life but one bet I cannot leave on the table. We must not abandon our friends and comrades to a battle they have no hope of winning.

That very night, I order the siege engines abandoned and the forces mustered for an immediate departure. It is a testament to the commitment of my men that not a word of protest is muttered and that all forces are prepared for march by the morning. We move out at with all haste back through the mountains we so recently crossed; moving at a breakneck pace and not pausing to pick up the stragglers. The only force I have to augment us on the march is one company of archers already on their way from Athens. This is the force I take into battle with the Turk.

I will not have a chance to coordinate my attack with the garrison. I can only hope they will see my banners over the horizon and sally out to my support. Either way, my fate will be decided today. We either win today or lose the city.

Second Battle of Thessalonica 1458
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

From battle report filed by Diadohos Skantarios to Basileus Theodorus, 1458 AD.

The enemy arrayed against us is formidable. They are strong in all facets of arms, they are all veterans, and they are prepared. They are led by Ahmed Gazali, the conqueror of Sophia and Bucharest. He is a veteran of many battles and one of the Turk's finest generals. He will not be easily fooled.

My only advantage will be the terrain and our own mobility and shock. I must use both the fullest extent.

Before the battle, I assemble the men and make sure they all know the stakes for this battle.

From speech recorded by imperial chronicler. June 1457. Plains of Thessalonica.

"Men, I stand before you today as your general, your comrade, and a proud son of Greece.

"We fight today against the Turk. Hard men and fierce warriors. These are not the Venetian merchants of our previous battles; men loaded down with gold and grown soft with easy living. These Turks are the sons of the steppes and Christians slaves forcefully converted to Islam. They have been brought up as professional soldiers and know no other allegience than to the Sultan and Islam. They are hardy warriors and are deadly in battle... they are also just men. They will die like any other man. Shoot an arrow into them and they will bleed. Stick a sword in their guts and their entrails will spill out onto the field. There is nothing magical about them. They have turned against God and He has turned against them. His favor will shine on us today, not the Turk.

"There is no rich prize to fight for today. There is no plunder to be had save what the Turk has brought to the field. What we fight for today is the safety of our comrades in the city and the lives of the Roman citizens of Thessalonica. We fight today for our Christian faith and the hopes for the glorious salvation of our brothers and sisters of Thessalonica, Thrace, Macedon.

"Lose today and know that our cause is lost. Already you know that Constantinople is under siege and fighting for their lives. We cannot help them but we can help the rest of our empire. We are the Roman field army. We are the strong right hand of the emperor. Should we falter today, there is no one to take our place. Lose today and we lose the city and our last, best hope for ultimate victory. Lose today and there is nowhere to run. Nowhere the Turk won't find you and your family.

"If this be the last day of the Roman Empire then I am happy to be fighting beside you men. As a solemn vow to you, I swear now that I will either stand victorious on this field or be buried under it. Will you stand with me? Will you fight with me?! Will you crush these faithless Turks under your boot and grind their bones to dust?! Will you strike a blow to the Turk so loud that it will reverberate all the way to Mecca!?!

"Let us show the world today that the Roman Empire is not dead! Let us show them that we have returned and will destroy all those that oppose us! Fight with me and bring victory for the Empire!!!"

I array our forces on the two small hills that dominate the western side of the battlefield. The horse archers move quickly into place to begin the attrition of their archers and horse.

The horse archers start to take casualties but inflict four casualties for every one they take. Soon, reinforcements begin to appear to the north. The garrison has sallied out to engage!

The archers of the garrison soon add to the storm of wood and iron coming down on the heads of the Turks. Our archers concentrate on the Turkish horse in order to limit their mobility.

The casualties they take are appalling.

Our Mangonel soon adds a rain of liquid fire coming down on upon the Turkish infantry.

The effect is both both potent and terrifying.

The Turk seem to be either confused or content to let the battle play out at a distance. Their cavalry do not engage us. In fact, they split their forces equally to meet both the threat from my army and the garrison. Once the arrows of our archers and the fire from the Mangonel is expended, I order my own cavalry to charge against the Turkish horse and crush the last of their cavalry.

The remainder of my horse circle around the southern enemy formation and charge the rear of the enemy northern element.

I lead this charge and personally take down Ahmad Gazali. His days of terrorizing Christians are over.

Soon, the enemy horse is swept from the field. The enemy archers try to engage my infantry but there is no safe haven from which to fire. My horse take them at a charge and ride down the ones who flee. The enemy heavy infantry, the Janissaries, belatedly charge uphill at my own infantry waiting for them. Whilst engaged with the garrison infantry, my horse charge them from the rear.

Even when charged from the rear, the veteran Janissaries do not flee. They fight hard and bring down no small number of both my infantry and my cavalry.

The battle is long and hard. My own bodyguard suffers terrible casualties and I suffer my own wounds at their hands. However, the victory is no longer in doubt.

Soon, not even their lifelong commitment to the Sultan can keep the remaining Janissaries from running. Fortunately for us, their lifelong commitment to the Sultan and Islam comes to a premature end.

The victory is complete and the few survivors route off the field.

I offer the prisoners I have taken for ransom as we need the money desperately.

However, it seems the Sultan's commitment to his soldiers does not match theirs to him.

The prisoners are executed accordingly. I leave that work for the garrison as my own soldiers take a well-earned rest.

We have won a great victory! For the first time in living memory, a full Turkish army has been annihilated in battle. The Turks are not invincible after all! The celebrations last long into the night.

I order numerous elements of the garrison back to Mystras for retraining as well as ordering the muster of new militia into the garrison. I know that they cannot stand up to a determined Turkish siege but I can only hope the Turk doesn't know this.

After a short rest within the welcoming confines of Thessalonica, I soon order my men back across the mountains to resume what we started at Arta. Let the Turk wonder where we are and discover that no area is safe from the Romans. Despite my earlier siege, the garrison of Arta has not been reinforced. The Turk either believes that we are too far away or are too depleted from our most recent battle. Either way, we will show him that he is wrong.

Battle of Arta - 1458 AD.

My spies in the fortress soon signal that all is in place for my assault.

We quickly move through the undefended western gate. When the Turks realize that their gate guards have betrayed them, they flee back to the confines of the inner keep. My horse archers pace them during their retreat and pour arrow fire into them as they run.

Those few that have not been killed by arrow or lance on their flight back into the keep cower in the central square. My foot archers take their positions on the battlements while my horse archers maneuver to the flanks.

It is over quickly as arrow fire brings down the remainder of the garrison. The fortress is ours.

Arta rejoins the Roman Empire and we now have another military compound to train our soldiers and act as a stepping off point for either an assault into the Balkans or onto the Adriatic coast.

While in Arta, word reaches me that the Turks have finally assaulted the capital!

Second Battle of Constantinople - 1459

From battle report filed by Basileus Theodorus, 1459 AD.

The Turk has decided that they cannot starve us out nor overawe us into submission. How foolish to think that in the first place. Our food reserves are vast, it would take a decade or more to starve us out and we would never willingly allow their false god into the holy city without the blood of 50,000 Christians to lubricate their path.

The forces arrayed against us are as vast as the last host to come.

I do note that they have been forced to hire mercenaries to fill out their ranks. Could their reserves of manpower not be limitless after all?

They are led by an experienced general and their forces are all veterans. They will not break easily.

I form up my men in much the same way as the last siege. I place stakes in front of the gate with spearmen just behind. They will take the inevitable cavalry charge head on and hold those forces in place while my javelins and archers devastate them from above and from the flanks. I trust the walls to my archers and heavy infantry. My greatest concern is my lack of heavy infantry. Devastated during the first battle, they are too few to hold the enemy shield to shield. My archers must make up for the lack of swords and fight them from a distance.

My son and I will hold either side of the gate and encourage my men to stand their ground. No speech is necessary this time. They all know the stakes. It is victory or death. Under the eyes of God and their Emperor, they will fight well.

The Turks approach at a leisurely pace pushing their siege engines in front of them. My archers and ballistas take their toll and make them pay for their slowness.

Our first bit of good news reaches us as one of their siege towers catches fire from our flaming missiles.

A mighty cheer erupts from a thousand men as the siege tower is fully engulfed in flames and comes crashing down showing God's favor on us.

Soon, however, their battering ram reaches the gates and their remaining tower reaches the walls. The Janissaries pour out of the tower while the ram continues to pound on the gates.

My crossbowmen make them pay for their hesitation on the walls.

The Turk inevitably breaks down the gates and comes pouring through the gateway.

My javelins and arrows pour into their flanks while my few remaining spears and shields hold them from the front. Fire pours on them while they hesitate in the entrance.

At the height of the fighting, the enemy general charges through the gates. He doesn't see the spikes waiting for him and is thrown from his horse. One of my spearmen sees him fall and finishes what the spikes started with a careful thrust through his neck armor.

When the enemy general goes down, my infantry charges and the rout is on!

My son and I follow the routing enemy through the gates and chase down the fleeing enemy. My infantry soon join in the chase and sweep all before us.

The victory is complete. The Holy Mother has saved us once again. Well, her and more than a few well-placed missiles.

The prisoners are offered up for ransom but the enemy refuses. The Sultan obviously cares nothing for the lives of his soldiers.

The prisoners are made to carry the bodies of their fallen brothers to the growing Islamic burial pit outside the city. When that is complete, the prisoners join their brothers in "martyrdom."

The news of my father's victory reaches the field army like a blessing from Heaven. We rejoice in the newly captured fortress of Arta and toast to the health of the Emporer and the glory of the Roman Empire. The celebration lasts well into the next day.

As the year of 1459 concludes, a letter from Anna reaches me with an interesting proposition. She has met with a princess of the Kingdom of Hungary. Her name is Maria Arpadhazi. She is 23 years old and the daughter of the current King. Although rather unremarkable in most ways, she does show promise as both a future wife and, much more importantly, a key to an alliance with Hungary. A secure northern border and assistance with the war against the Turk are exactly what we need.

The Hungarians have declined an alliance before but perhaps now that we are fresh off two stunning victories against the Turks, they will look more favorably upon a partnership with the Roman Empire. Perhaps I can accomplish in the bedroom what my diplomats failed to do in the council chambers.

I consult with my father and he agrees. Anna is authorized to offer "whatever it takes" to make this marriage happen.

In true diplomatic style, a few gentle words and (more than) a little gold secure the alliance.

The marriage must take place in the newly constructed chapel of Thessalonica. The approaches to Constantinople are still too dangerous to risk. After a simple but elegant ceremony, the marriage is complete and the signatures are in place for our new alliance.

Maria is a sweet girl and we take to each other instantly. Before the year is out, she is already carrying our first child.

As a result of my sister's efforts, she is now hailed as a diplomatic genius.

My father can be justifiably proud of all his children. Anna is a true servant of the Roman Empire.

The only sour note on the year 1459 is that the Venetians, true to form, have reneged on their earlier ceasefire and have blockaded the port of Iraklion.

This comes as no surprise. The pathetic state of our fleet is almost too inviting for the greedy Venetians. They are pirates and traitors by nature. I swear that we will settle accounts with them very soon.

The decade concludes with two heroic victories. Roman arms are feared once again. Still, the Turkish horde is vast and the armies of Islam are still on the march. There is much hard campaigning to go and today's victories could too easily become tomorrow's defeats. We must continue the struggle and build on the momentum we have gained.

I am Skantarios.

The world in 1459.
    Last edited by Skantarios; February 03, 2010 at 10:02 PM.

Kallum's Avatar I win, you lose!
    Somewhere behind a desk, following the world from behind the save glowing screen that is my desktop

This is quite possibly the best Byzantine AAR I've read so far!

+ rep
    Carl von Dobeln's son
    How it all began
    Author of the Basileia ton Romaion Series book 1, 2, 3
    The work has been done, the trilogy is completed or has it?

Very good AAR indeed! +rep

cisse's Avatar Civis

Nice!

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Brilliant update! Keep up the great work! +rep

While the Turks are in Durazzo and Skopje there's little more that Venice can do than blockade... what next? A thrust towards Adrianople maybe? Let's hope that the Hungarian Alliance pays off and they divert some of the Turk's focus.

Default The Fight in the Balkans

From the Diary of Diadohos Skantarios, 1459 AD.

Arta, 1459 AD. Following our victories near Thessalonica and Arta, I tarry for the winter in Arta. This is a pleasant time for both the army and myself. Our two lightening marches across the Pindus Mountains and the two major battles fought last year have weakened the army both in numbers and vigor. We need time to recover and regroup. The winter is mild and my troops spend the days in drill and feasting on the food stores the Turks have left behind.

My new bride is diligently working on her Greek and I have even picked up some Hungarian. I am gratified that she is so quickly with child and I hope for a strong heir to continue the Laskaris line. She is a good woman and a strong partner. She, too, will be an asset for the Roman Empire.

Toward the late winter, she shares a letter with me from her father, King Bela, that he has proposed an offensive against the Turks and his Council of Nobles has agreed. Already, the forces of Hungary are marshalling and should be ready to strike the first blow in the new year. I pray that this letter is true and that the Turks will face another Christian foe to the north and be forced to fight on a two-front war. My only concern is that no official correspondence has reached me from the Hungarian Court to this effect. It could be that they are keeping the offensive a secret but it would be so much better if we could coordinate our efforts. I guess the bonds of allies only run so deep.

A messenger from Constantinople has arrived after running the Turkish gauntlet. My father writes that the city's garrison is taking in new soldiers every day and that the militia have recouped their losses following the most recent siege. In a secret addendum to the letter, he also says that the first company of Siphonories will be ready for battle in the coming spring. This new technology should go a long way toward tilting the balance of the infantry battles to come and provide needed relief for our spears and swords defending the capital. He also decided to send my adopted brother, Nikodimos, to the west to take charge of the city of Thessalonica. This is dangerous in the extreme as he must ride fast along the Aegean coast with only his personal bodyguard for security. However, the risk must be taken. We cannot afford to have so much of the imperial line tied up in any one city and be subject to the fortunes of battle. Should a catastrophe occur, the imperial line must live on to continue the fight.

With the coming of spring, my army is ready to move out. We have been unable to replenish our many losses but our troops are now fit and ready for the coming offensives. Our choice of destination becomes much clearer when two pieces of information reach me. The first is that our spy sent north to Scopia has managed to infiltrate the fortress and tells me that he has arranged for the gates to be open upon our advance. Also, the garrison of Scopia has been sent away and that only a single Turkish nobleman with his personal guard is in charge of the defense of the fortress. What became of the large garrison of Scopia soon becomes clear in the second piece of critical information. The garrison has come south, to Arta!

The Turkish field army is only a few days march away from my location and is clearly intent on recapturing this fortress. I silently curse my idleness as the forces I have available are totally unsuited for defense of a stronghold. We are mostly cavalry with only a few archers. We cannot hope to hold this place should a full Turkish field army besiege us.

I determine to immediately march out of Arta and make full speed for Scopia. My spy can only stay so long before discovery and I cannot be caught in a siege here. I send out riders at a gallop to Thessalonica to send some of the infantry newly arrived there to Scopia while I lead the cavalry north back through the Pindus Mountains. All haste is made and here, again, I can see the folly of remaining so long in one place. While my own bodyguard can make Scopia before the winter, the rest of the cavalry cannot. I determine that I will press on and join the infantry sent north from Thessalonica and conduct an immediate assault on Scopia. Should my spies be successful in opening the gates, I will immediately attack with the forces on hand. Should the spies fail, we will begin construction of siege equipment and await the arrival of the cavalry.

In Arta, I leave some of the cavalry behind as well as our archers. They are of sufficient strength to keep the fortress in hand but cannot stand up to a siege. I can only hope that the Turk will react to my movements and forgo a siege of Arta and continue in pursuit of my forces. In case they do not, I send the pregnant Maria south to Mystras along the coastal road. I hate to part from my new bride but I cannot risk her and the child she carries with the campaign to come. I know that I will miss the birth of our child but the risks of her traveling with the field army are unacceptable. I promise her that one day I will escort her into Constantinople as the future empress she is. One day...

Upon my arrival at Scopia, I link up with the small force of infantry from Thessalonica and march on the fortress. Soon, we are in place and ready for battle.

My spies, true to their word, send out the signal that all is ready. I order my forces in for the attack.

Battle of Scopia

The Turks have, indeed, only a single nobleman and his guard to hold the fortress. His name is Cenab Ihsanoglu and he styles himself as the "Emir" of Scopia.

He is a veteran of many conflicts and has a sizeable bodyguard. However, no bodyguard alone, of whatever size, can stand up to a determined assault by Romans. It seems the Turk continues to underestimate our strength and overestimate their security. We will make them pay for their folly and arrogance.

Our forces, while not large, should be more than sufficient.

We assault the fortress without even breaking out of march formation. Surprise is our ally and I intend to use it. I send my spears in first to secure the gate.

The Turkish general, seeing that he has been betrayed by his own gate guards, flees back to the supposed security of the inner keep.

However, my spies have been thorough. The gates of the inner keep are no more secure than the main gates and are thrown open to us upon our advance.

Cenab is totally unsure of how to react and wastes precious time in the central square as our archers take up position on the walls of the inner keep. They begin to rain arrows down on Cenab and his bodyguard while they stand by helpless to respond.

After he loses several of his bodyguards, Cenab must have realized that his position was hopeless. Out of either bravery, desperation, or a desire for martyrdom, he orders his bodyguard out in a suicidal attack against my spears who have taken up a strong position just outside the gates.

I then order my own bodyguard to charge them on the flanks. We cut them down quickly. Cenab fights bravely, but the end was never in any doubt.

With the death of their general, the remaining guards panic and surrender. The fortress is ours!

The fortress is sacked for what little gold it can provide. Those funds are added to our depleted treasury. Following the battle, I order the destruction of the Turkish mosque and the construction of a proper Orthodox chapel. The irony is not lost on me that Turkish gold is being used to fund Christian chapels and churches.

I also order the new Bishop of Thessalonica, Tiverios ek Konstaninoupoleos, to come to the Scopia region and take charge of the conversion efforts in the area. He is a man of strong faith but some unusual habits. Perhaps that is what is needed to turn back the tide of Islam in Europe.

Once these arrangements are in place, I leave the fortress to rejoin the cavalry of the field army. I will not make the same mistake of Arta. The cavalry will remain outside the fortress. There is more than a little grumbling from the men that they have lost out on the spoils of Scopia. I rather rudely inform them that this is a lesson to remember and that they will need to march as hard as I if they wish to share in the rewards of victory.

The year closes with my forces in winter camp in the mountains. I intend to move south once the spring thaw comes and link up with new forces coming from Mystras.

The news I receive from my diplomats is extremely encouraging.

Hungary has fulfilled their promise and have declared war against the Turk! Added to this, our Orthodox brothers to the north are now also at war with the Turks. Whether they were motivated by Orthodox Christian brotherhood or they sensed weakness from Turkey due to our recent victories, a three front war for the Turks may be more than even they can manage.

The signs are encouraging indeed.

I am Skantarios.
    Last edited by Skantarios; January 28, 2010 at 11:09 PM.

Default Holding Onto Our Gains - Maneuvers in Macedon

From the Diary of Diadohos Skantarios

April, 1460 AD.

The winter spent in a snowy mountain camp with the cavalry of the field army. Word reaches me that the Turks have given up thoughts of taking Arta and are following our path to Scopia. They have paused west of Thessalonica but show no signs of putting the city to a siege.

I can only conclude that they have decided that it is more important to destroy our field army than regain their lost territory. This burst of strategic logic from the Turk, correct as it is, can work for us. My cavalry is very mobile, we have an intimate knowledge of the terrain, and we should be able to stay one step ahead of them. I lead my men through the small goat paths and trails of the Pindus and put myself behind them and to the south. I can only hope that our movements have gone unnoticed.

I link up with the infantry and artillery reinforcements from Mystras and take up a strong position to the south. We shall block their advance to either Mystras or Arta.

On the diplomatic front, there is extremely troubling news. The forces of the Papacy have put up a naval blockade on the port of Mystras.

Simultaneously, one of our ships transporting a diplomat to the Crusader states is attacked by the previously-neutral Egyptians.

This puts us at war with both the Egyptians and the Papacy in the same year.

I do not believe in coincidences and this stinks of conspiracy. Has the schism between the Empire and the Papacy grown so deep and so divisive that they would lay down with the heathen in order to attack us? I also sense that Venetian gold has played a part in this. Has the Pope sold himself and his ideals so cheaply? War with the Papacy is something that we have never sought. We have only made war on the Catholics after they started hostilities with us. Now that the Pope has openly declared against us, we will be seen as "fair game" for any adventuring Catholic prince with dreams of imperial glory.

Fortunately, our relations with the Hungarians remain strong and we receive word that they have, indeed, launched an invasion from the north with the goal of taking Sophia and Brasov. I offer prayers for their success.

I am Skantarios
    Last edited by Skantarios; May 26, 2010 at 11:38 PM.

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

Brilliant AAR. Don't let this die
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

Default The Battles of Thessalonica

From the Diary of Diadohos Skantarios, 1461 AD.

I have received information that the main Turkish field army in the area has, indeed, moved north to Scopia. If they hoped to trap me there, they are falling several steps behind.

One spectacular piece of news also reaches me from my spies to the north is that the Hungarians have taken Sophia! Coupled with my seizure of other two Turkish fortresses in Greece and Macedon, the Turk now has no other training grounds in this area and will be hard pressed to replace their losses.

My spies also report that the Turks have left behind a small force west of Thessalonica that seems intent on blocking any advance north from Greece proper. This target proves too temping for us and I resolve to attack them and further attrit the forces in the area.

Third Battle of Thessalonica - 1462 AD.

From battle report filed by Diadohos Skantarios to Basileus Theodorus, 1462 AD.
    The Turks are led by a nobody captain. Although veterans all, their forces are also seemingly depleted from an earlier battle.

My forces should prove more than a match.

As I have the advantage of both cavalry and missiles, I intend to use them accordingly and, hopefully, reduce my casualties. I have no heavy infantry at my disposal, though. Speed and distance will be my allies today.

The Turk holds back and seems content to lay in low ground and attempt to bring my forces into close combat where they have the advantage. I send my horse archers to the flanks and advance my Mangonel and archers to within firing range.

My light archers take the brunt of the enemies missile fire but soon the Mangonel has achieved an excellent firing position. The fire from my Mangonel and archers provides the necessary impetus to the enemy infantry and they move to engage.

I withdraw my Mangonel crew and charge their remaining cavalry while my own heavy horse circle around to the enemies rear. While the enemy heavy infantry is fully committed to fighting my archers, I send my horse to charge their rear.

The enemy soon break and the rout is on.

None escape the relentless pursuit.

This minor victory clears the approaches to Thessalonica. The prisoners of the engagement are executed in what is becoming standard practice in this war. We expect no mercy from the Turks and shall give none in return.

I withdraw to the south to link up with some needed heavy infantry enroute from Mystras. They will serve me well in the coming battles as my primary deficiency is the lack of swords to stand up to the Turkish Janissaries and halberds. The casualties they inflict on my horse are frightening and not something that we can sustain.

The best news I receive this year comes from my diplomatic corps. They confirm what we had long hoped for; the Muslims are now fighting amongst themselves. The two greatest Islamic nations are now at war!

I am overjoyed at the prospect of the Turks and Egyptians killing each other. Every death they inflict on each other is one less enemy for the Roman Empire. I had long thought that the aggressive natures of both those peoples would someday lead to conflict between them. I knew all this talk of Muslim brotherhood was just that, talk. The world is only so big a place. If I can continue to frustrate the Turk in Europe, perhaps he will turn his offensives against the east instead.

The only bad news of this year is that the Almoravids are now at war with us. Apparently, our almost non-existant navy has proven to be too much of a temptation for them and they have established a naval blockade at Arta. While the immediate threat from the African Muslims is remote, I can only wonder about the cumulative effect. With all the great Islamic nations aligned against us, is a call for Jihad too far away? We barely have the strength to fight the Turk and cannot hope to stand against all the armies of the Prophet. I can only hope their disunity will lead them to continue fighting each other and not rally against us.

I will close with a rather ironic item making the rounds at camp. Apparently, my father has erected another monument to my victories in Constantinople. This one for the victory at Scopia. At the commissioning of the monument, the crowd took up the chant of "Skantarios the Conqueror!" Somehow, that story has made it's way to camp and the soldiers have now picked up on it. I have tried to squash such idle talk but the name seems to stick. Even the local townsfolk are now shouting it as I go by. I will have to make sure that such silliness does not become infectious. An inflated ego is the last thing I need right now.

We still have a long ways to go and the Turk still fights at our doorstep.

I am Skantarios.

Default The Battles of Thessalonica (cont)

From the Diary of Diadohos Skantarios, 1463-1464 AD.

I have moved out of winter quarters in northern Greece. The biggest news is that Maria has successfully given birth to a daughter. We name her Likenia Laksarias. This is a family name and one that she will bear proudly. Fortunately, she looks more like her mother than me. While I must admit to being somewhat disappointed that our first try did not produce a male heir, I am proud of my strong daughter. Anna has shown what a potent weapon a noble female can be in her dealings with other nations. I have no doubt that Likenia will be equally adept.

Maria is still young and will bear me more children. I have full confidence that a male heir will follow soon.

On the military front, reports come in that the Turkish field army has turned away from Scopia and started back south, just as I had predicted. They are obviously chasing my army and wish to bring me to battle. I have led them on quite a merry chase back and forth through the Pindus. They are now camped west of Thessalonica and in position to block any movement through Thessaly. They are also sitting across our trade routes and preventing any land trade in the region. This is clearly a challenge to us and the Turk obviously views our military might with contempt. Since he has marched so long and hard to bring us to battle, I feel that it is only right that we oblige him.

Further avoidance of this force jeopardizes all of our gains and will sow the seeds of doubt in our allies and our populace. With the additional forces coming north from Mystras, I am now confident that we can meet this Turkish army on field of battle.

I order my army north to meet them on the road to Thessalonica. I coordinate these actions with my brother, Nikodimos. He is tasked to send a portion of the garrison to take up positions behind the Turk. I order him not to come with these forces as I cannot risk all of my father's adult, male children in a single battle. He protests strongly but my senior position carries the day and he remains in the city. Should I fall on this battlefield, he must take up the mantle of commander of our remaining forces and fight on.

We bring the Turk to battle on a clear day under the sight of God.

The Fourth Battle of Thessalonica - 1463 AD.

The Turkish forces arrayed against us are the cream of the Sultan's army.

Their forces are comprised of Janissary Heavy Infantry, Janissary Archers, Fari Horse Archers, heavy cavalry, and spearmen. They are veterans and led by an able general of many campaigns, Ahmed Gazali. They come with the expectation of victory and will fight to the last. So be it.

My army is still comprised of mostly new recruits with a few veteran companies.

We do have some heavy infantry that have recently come up from both Mystras and the garrison of Athens. These are hardy men, true Greeks, and they fight for their land and their religion. I do not doubt their commitment. They also comprise almost the sum total of our field strength. All the rest of our soldiers are committed to defending our new provinces.

The garrison troops of Thessalonica soon appear to the north of the Turk led by Captain Ioannikios and begin marching on their rear. The Turk splits his forces to deal with this new threat, committing roughly one third to this new threat. This is exactly what I had hoped. What I had not planned on was the Turks sending their horse in a desperate charge against my own cavalry. Soon a wild melee develops as lance and sword meet in a swirling melee.

Our horsemen eventually get the better of the engagement and clear the field enough for our infantry and artillery to move into position.

The infantry guards the front while the archers and Mangonels concentrate their fire on the Janissary Infantry.

We have the better position and soon the combined fire begins to take their toll on the Turk. We take losses amongst our own infantry from the fire of their archers and the desperate charges of their remaining horse. Ahmed Gazali then throws his own bodyguard into the fight and becomes separated from the rest of his forces.

This is the moment I have been waiting for. I commit my own bodyguard and my heavy horse against him and meet him in single combat. He tries to run but one of my men cuts him down. The fatal blow comes, fittingly, in his back.

The remaining infantry put up a strong fight and bring down many a Roman in their stubborn display of valor.

The casualties are appalling on both sides. My heavy foot fight well but the Turk has strong armor and the experience of many battles. My own horse charge again and again against their flanks and rear. Only a few break and run. The rest fight to the end.

My own force lose roughly a third of their strength, mostly from the foot but also from my heavy cavalry. The garrison forces of Thessalonica suffer especially high casualties, almost two thirds of their strength including Captain Ioannikios.

The victory outside Thessalonica is being hailed as heroic. However, all I can think about are our losses. Almost seven hundred Romans lost... We cannot fight a war of attrition against the Turks. We are too few and he too many. The losses from the Thessalonican garrison provide another valuable lesson. Soldiers not commanded by a strong general are easy prey on the battlefield. I will not forget this.

News from my diplomats and spies is a mixed bag. Constantinople is under siege yet again.

I must admit that the lack of panic I show at this news is a sign of our changing fortunes. My father reports that the garrison is strong and eager for battle. They have the confidence of earlier victories and the long-anticipated development of the Siphonores has bolstered the morale of the defenders. I can only hope that the strong walls of the city will remain a bulwark against the Muslims and continue to be the rocks that the Islamic waves crash and break against.

Another encouraging piece of news comes from Epirus.

The Turks have laid siege to Ragusa. It seems the Turk wishes to replace their recruiting grounds lost in the west at the expense of Venice. May the accursed Venetians and the heathen Turk spill each other's blood until they are both spent.

A review of our diplomatic situation is also of a mixed blessing.

We count many more enemies than friends at the moment. The great military powers of Islam are aligned against us. Also, with the Papacy openly hostile to us, it can only be a matter of time before other Catholics seek to expand their power and territory at our expense.

Still, our great war with the Turks remains our focus and all of our energies are directed at the one aim of expelling them from Europe. Fortunately, the Hungarians remain our steadfast partner and I hope that their recent success at Sophia is only the beginning of their offensive against the Sultan.

A review of the overall situation reveals that we are still in a very weak state compared to the other powers.

We barely muster one fifth of the military power of the Turk and one third of their populace. The cards still seem stacked against us, our recent successes notwithstanding.

Although our military power may be weak, we are on the rise. We have begun new buildings in most of our major cities and fortresses. Troops are flocking to our banner and new levies are coming in almost every month. We will be able to resume the offensive as soon as our losses at the most recent battle of Thessalonica are made good.

Reports from Anna have come in that she has established relations with both the Spanish and the Franks. Neither seem in any position to aid us at the moment but trade routes are established and both have agreed to send ambassadors to our court. The Franks refused her offer to exchange maps and we were in no position to pay their price. She will try again after she has visited with the English. She is the toast of Europe and the soft (but strong) face of our Empire. May the day come soon when I can again see my sister.

I end the year of 1464 back in Thessalonica as I await reinforcements from Greece and Macedonia. When they arrive, I will strike against the Turk.

I am Skantarios.

The world as we know it, 1464 AD.

The world as it actually is, 1464 AD.

I really appreciate everyone's kind words of encouragement. I have been on a kind of tear today doing updates but that is because I will not be able to post for a few days. Not sure on exactly when I will be able to post a new update but I will probably get to one by this weekend.

Special thanks to those who have posted comments (dezikeizer, Deadly Rabbit, cisse, Holy winter, Kallum von Dobeln, Beer Money, Ivan the Terrible, and yackady). I also greatly appreciate the rep points given.

If there is something more that you would like to see in this AAR, things that should be clarified, or something that is detracting from its readability, I would be happy to hear that as well. As this is my first AAR (and possibly my only one given the time commitment), getting it "right" is important.

Again, I will have to take a little break but I will be back with more updates soon.

Excellent AAR with amazing detail! +rep of course

cisse's Avatar Civis

Very nice! I'm curious - did the campaign start with those starting positions? The turks seem very strong indeed! I mainly play SS as mod, but I've never seen these starting positions.

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

Its the 1450 or something campaign. The latest one.
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

Cisse; The campaign is Jam's 1450 campaign from the RR/RC mod. At the beginning the Romans only hold Mystras Trebizond and Constantinople, have very few troops and a woeful economic position, and on VH/VH it is damn near impossible, so apart from the kudos Skantarios deserves for his writing, he's also a pretty handy total war player. Loving this AAR, one of the best I've read.

cisse's Avatar Civis

Ah, I've never downloaded the RR/RC submod for SS, so that'll be the reason I don't know it then.

Catching up and I have to say this AAR has gotten even better. The writing is flowing really nicely!

Nice work on the major effort! +rep

Apparently I have to wait till I can give you more rep but its in the queue.