Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - **Complete**

Civis

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire

Once you have razed/forced the rebellion of half the germanic nation you should be able to sue for peace. Its worked for me before (send a stack or two up, in in the forests if anything to strong is in your way, then sack any settlement you come across, raze every happiness buliding, and run away. Army of priests/spies helps somewhat.)

@EmberFlame: what a devil strategy (= Blitzkrieg).
    Last edited by Holy winter; January 29, 2010 at 03:10 PM.

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

^
    Blitzkrieg against Germany?
    *headexplode*

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Turkey Lord View Post
    ^
    Blitzkrieg against Germany?
    *headexplode*
    Must've divided by zero.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Great updates. Yeah, it's probably best to leave the Sicilians alone since they don't have sicily. Just one thing:
    stationed just south of the Smyrna
    I don't recall there being a river called Smyrna, so you may want to change that sentence.

Default Battles for Anatolia

From the Diaries of Emperor Skantarios.

February, 1495 AD

My forces have spent the winter in intensive training in preparation for the campaign against the Egyptians in Anatolia. I have received no word as of yet from the north where Benedek is gathering forces to come to the aid of the Hungarians.

We are just preparing to decamp when an army of the Egyptians attacks us here!

Battle of the Anatolian Plateau - March 1495 AD.

Spoiler for Battle of Anatolian Plateau

From Battle Report Filed by Emperor Skantarios to Imperial Archives - 1495 AD.

The Egyptians are led by one of their young nobles. Yet another fool from the Egyptian court who thinks he is a match for me and my Romans...

He brings to battle a well balanced force with a large number of the Egyptians best troops.

Mamaluke horse archers, heavy foot archers, and Tabardiyya heavy infantry comprise the bulk of his army. They are all deadly in their own way. They will pose a difficult test for my cavalry.

My forces are all tough veterans with a smattering of new troops and some mercenaries.

Our biggest advantage is our speed and the shock power of our charge.

We will be at a disadvantage in a missile battle as the enemy has more archers and they are all firing powerful, long-range composite bows. Also, a swift charge will come to nothing against the powerful heavy infantry of the Egyptians. So, we take advantage of our height advantage and array ourselves with the targetsmercenaries in front, long range horse archers behind, and then the heavy and light horse.

The mercenaries will act to draw the enemy's fire while the long range Cavalarii for over their heads and take down the Mamalukes. With luck, our superior position will negate the numerical advantage of the Egyptian archers. Also, the horse archers are all set up in a dispersed formation in order to minimize the casualties from the inevitable fire from the enemy's archers. Also, the enemy foot soldiers will tire themselves out marching up the high hill and will hopefully be less effective and more prone to panic in a melee battle.

The brash Mamalukes charge right up the hill and attack our horse archers. The mercenaries are soon buried under an avalanche of arrows.

I am forced to send some of my light horse into the midst of the Mamalukes to get them to disengage and move back down the hill where they will be at a disadvantage. Our men suffer many casualties both from the Egyptian bows as well as from stray shots from our own horse archers.

Despite the numerous arrows coming down on them, the light cavalry are full of fire in their bellies and continue their charge straight down the hill into the enemy archers!

At this point, our horse archers score a lucky hit on the Egyptian general and he crumples from his saddle. When the Egyptians see their general go down, several of the enemy companies panic and begin to retreat. The battle at this point has clearly lost all cohesion and I decide to take advantage of the chaos and charge my own bodyguard and the heavy cavalry down the hill.

Bodies are strewn everywhere and the footing is difficult. Our charge carries the day and the bulk of the Egyptians flee!

A few of the enemy find some backbone and stand their ground. However, a charge into the rear of their formation routs them off the field.

Our men pursue the enemy without mercy back down the hill.

Only the fleetest Mamalukes are able to make good their escape. The infantry are not so lucky.

We take many prisoners and they are offered up for a hefty ransom.

The Egyptians, of course, refuse. It is a long and tedious afternoon's work dispatching them all...

We take many casualties in the battle and our forces for the campaign are severely reduced. Still, I have no desire to sit idly here in the mountains for another year and resolve to press on with the offensive into the plains of Central Anatolia. Our first target will be Ankara.

Ankara was lost to us only three years ago. Then, we were powerless to prevent the Egyptians from taking it as we were fighting the last throes of the Jihad and my own army was rebuilding. Now, the Jihad is over and our capitol is secure. It is time to take the city back. I have sent three of my best spies to infiltrate the city and "ready" their gates for our attack. There are still many Roman sympathizers in the city from our previous conquest. I am confident my spies will be successful in reaching these men and that the city will be open to us when we attack.

The only obstacle to us is two small armies that block our path to the city. I could bypass them and still make the city in good time. However, to leave them in my rear would cut off my reinforcements from both Nicea and Isparta. Therefore, I must destroy them. The first army flees at my approach. The second shows more backbone.

Second Battle of the Anatolian Plateau - April 1495 AD.

Spoiler for Second Battle of Anatolian Plateau

The first Egyptian army is well balanced but small. They have some of the best troops the Egyptians possess but they are relatively few in number and led by only a captain.

The second force shows damage from previous battles but is still capable in their own way.

My forces have received some new Turkish cavalry from Isparta. These inexperienced, ethnic Turks now fight for us but will have to prove themselves to me and the army before they can be fully counted on.

We have the advantage of being at the top of the hill. The Egyptians have no intention of being shot up at a distance and so advance towards us.

As the Egyptians advance towards us, the Cavalarii take up positions at the top of the hill and to the flanks. They concentrate their fire on the Mamalukes.

It is an unfair fight as we have the advantage of both numbers and height. I send the Turkish horse archers down the hill to engage the Mamalukes (and draw their fire).

The Egyptian heavy archers begin to run up the hill to get in range of my men. Once they are clear of their heavy infantry, I send my light horse to take them at the gallop.

With the routing of their foot archers, the Magyars fly down the hill to take on the heavy infantry.

The second Egyptian army now comes into range and my heavy horse take out their archers.

Their captain tries to flee but is cut down by my cavalry.

He falls amidst the tall grass and wildflowers on the field.

The second Egyptian captain meets much the same fate.

The remaining enemy infantry now make excellent targets for my Magyars.

They are surrounded and assaulted by arrow fire from all sides.

We take some losses from their arrow fire and during the charges. My light cavalry took the brunt of the damage.

I offer the prisoners for ransom. The answer back comes quickly.

With the destruction of the two armies blocking our path, the road to Ankara is now clear. We cover the ground quickly and before any more Egyptian armies can get in our way.

Fifth Battle of Ankara - May 1495 AD.

Spoiler for Fifth Battle of Ankara

Our spies have done their work well. They have linked up with sympathizers in the city and indicate that the gates will be wide open when we attack.

The Egyptian garrison is tiny.

They have enough to keep order in the city but not enough to stand up to an attack.

My forces have been augmented with Turkish horsemen from Isparta and stand ready for the assault.

The battle begins with my always reliable Magyars racing in from the undefended east and west gates.

When the Egyptians realize that their defenses are compromised, they run for the city square to make their stand. What they find when they arrive are my Magyars with their bows ready.

The infantry are assaulted from three sides. Confusion reigns with the enemy as they struggle to figure out what to do. Stay in the square and get shot to pieces, or attempt to chase the cavalry and lose the city?

One company tries to chase the Magyars but it is hopeless.

The narrow lanes of the city only force them to crowd together and make themselves a more compact target.

The enemy huddles together in desperation as the Magyars pour relentless fire into them.

Their armor is strong and some take five or even ten hits to go down. Unfortunately for the Egyptians, the Magyars brought plenty of arrows.

We have taken back the city in an almost bloodless battle! The nobles of the Egyptians flee the city and we occupy the city once again for the Roman Empire. The city shows the effects of being sacked three times in the past ten years. Once busy streets are nearly deserted. Many homes are burned. Complete city blocks are unoccupied. The city has less than half the population it did a mere decade ago...

I call for a garrison force to be brought east from Nicea as well as reinforcements from Europe and Isparta. They will not arrive this year so I must remain in the city for the rest of the campaigning season.

While I restore order in the city, it has given time for the messenger service to catch up with me. Benedek indicates his preparations for the offensive go well. He will set out with his army early next year. His first target will be the fortress of Kassa which adjoins the province of Brasov. This was recently lost to the Hungarians and is reported to be only lightly garrisoned. He also sends a request to adopt a son.

He requests this man join our noble family for several reasons. First, if he is campaigning to the west, he will need someone of authority to organize reinforcements and guard his rear. Second (and probably more important), his marriage to Anna has only produced three girls and Anna is now too old to have any more children. If Benedek were to die on campaign, his line ends with him.

I am sympathetic to his plight. It was only a few years ago that I adopted Genessios into the family for the very same reasons. Why our family cannot seem to produce male children escapes me but I simply leave it up to God. I therefore give him permission to adopt Anthemios. By the reports I receive, he is an intelligent man, a capable administrator, and loyal to our line.

With this adoption, the Imperial Family has grown to the point where it may be hard to keep track. Therefore, I have ordered a family tree produced to show the important men and women of the family and where they are currently located.
    Spoiler for Family Tree

First Names and (Locations) of the Imperial Family of the Roman Empire.
    Laskaris Dynasty - 1495 AD.

During my stay in the city, I also receive news from my diplomats that indicates some important changes in the status of the Turks.

The Turks are not so aggressive these days after losing their hold in Europe and in most of Anatolia. I have no illusions about their true intentions. Nor do I have any change in heart toward them. There will never be peace between our peoples.

Finally, while I am waiting in Ankara, a diplomat from the Egyptians has the nerve to present himself at the city gates. I am in need of some amusement, so I allow him to be brought before me.

His offer is rejected out of hand. The fight with them, and the rest of the Muslims, is to the death. There will be no compromise now or in the future. I allow him to leave with his life in order to relay that message to his Sultan.

I am Skantarios.

The World in 1495 AD.
    Last edited by Skantarios; February 01, 2010 at 01:20 AM.
    Read the review of I am Skantarios! in the Critic's Quill here.

Nice update.
    The family tree is a treat.
    Perhaps another look at the world map in a few updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Turkey Lord View Post
    Nice update.
    The family tree is a treat.
    Perhaps another look at the world map in a few updates?
    Coming in next update. Working on that now and should be out by tomorrow. Also, made some edits as I left off a battle. I guess you were too quick for me.
    Last edited by Skantarios; January 31, 2010 at 12:53 AM.

Was lurking around the few sites I frequent after significantly destroying my life further over IM programs.
    I'm just happy to have more to read.

Good update. And I must say your tactics in defending sieges are best. The Greek Firethrower killed 450 men at gate. I sure love Byzant now.

Content Emeritus

Call me a noob for asking this question, but once you send a princess to marry somebody, how do you get said person to join your faction? Whenever I do this the general she is married to shows up grayed out on my family tree.

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Great update. The campaign goes well so far. Just one thing:
    fighting the last throws
    Shouldn't throws be throes?

Baseball guy- I think you may have some sort of a bug. Your Princess, if she marries a general, should bring the general into your family. If he's greyed out on the family tree there's something going wrong.

Content Emeritus

Hmm. Okay, thanks Deadly Rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly Rabbit View Post
    Baseball guy- I think you may have some sort of a bug. Your Princess, if she marries a general, should bring the general into your family. If he's greyed out on the family tree there's something going wrong.
    This means the marrying backfired and the princess joins the character you were trying to marry faction instead of the other way round.
    Et Tu Brute?

Content Emeritus

Skantarios, I don't know if you saw my first post, but could you please post a screenshot with the minimap on it? I really want to see what the empire looks like now.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire1016 View Post
    This means the marrying backfired and the princess joins the character you were trying to marry faction instead of the other way round.

Really? Huh. How do you get that to not happen? Higher charm level?

Aspirin4o's Avatar Foederatus

Basiclly, yes. The charm is the main defining characteristic of a princess. The higher the charm, the higher the possibility that the said general will join your faction and not the other way around.

Content Emeritus

Alright good to know for next time I play.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballguy View Post
    Skantarios, I don't know if you saw my first post, but could you please post a screenshot with the minimap on it? I really want to see what the empire looks like now.
    Still working on the next update. I had a lot of family business this weekend. I've edited my last post and put up a map at the end. I will start to do that more often for future updates.

Should have the next one up tomorrow.