Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    You are pardoned

I'm not going into this discussion again, I've post extensively about it here.

Back to more proactive stuff, I posted this special issue in the Curial CMS, with the hope to make it easier for people to approach the Curia and to answer some of their questions in advance.

Sorry but you are simply wrong here.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    I fail to see how GED's absence contributes to the inevitable failure of every institution on TWC due to "inactivity" and Hex's unwillingness to make any appointments to solve these problems unless he left a standing order that no new staff may be hired without his approval.
    That's not a secret that the site needs a deeper reforms than we, as members, can achieve. Like any institution, if there's no leader giving the path, that's the end of the road soon or later. Without the site owner willing to make the site evolving, nothing will really change.
    For instance, what you're currently proposing in the Proth about the Tribunal is just a poultice on a wooden leg even if I support the effort.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

The Magistrate election is over. Gaius Baltar has been elected as Magistrate (see results here). Congratulations.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post

jokes aside, you are more than welcome to comment on that, I'm open to be instructed in the ways of "knowing it better"
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Are there any action that requires GeD's approval?
    All technical changes for the most part, directional changes, adjustments to core documents ie, modding policies/terms of service (a big factor to the slowdown sometime back in resolving issues with modding when that was a big thing in the QS). Besides that a bottleneck where as Pike noted, a good portion of the administration is also inert, leaving us firing on roughly half cylinders with a low amount of candidates for Hex and limited agency even in becoming one as 'status quo' iirc was the directive before Ged became almost entirely absent.

After that it falls to volunteer motivation. There's an unfortunate cycle here where there are few who are willing and carry trust while there are a few beyond that who are willing but I think it's fair to say, don't make themselves the most desirable candidates. So even if it's possible to fill some places on paper, the odds have to be weighed between leaving a certain thing inert or risk it dropping even lower. Otherwise as evidenced by the many holes in the staff list there is straight up a lack of interested people, leaving functionaries like Hex spending their limited time covering gaps. So while certain actions may not require his approval they do require parties who can simply upfront the benefits, and also carry out the work. For me, I have a number of aspirations both on the wiki and in forum sections - cleanup, streamlining, cutting purely obsolete content or updating it. The sense of emptiness and lack of backup I freely admit holds me back from putting much time in and I've found myself much more interested in pursuing fresh projects. The entire apparatus slows accordingly.

Noting my limited access (I'm certainly not a Hex and this is generally based on public notes and inputs) and that I can only speak for myself, these are key contributors to what is, yes, not an ideal status quo. The absence of the top shot caller regardless of direct approval or not is very demoralizing to a system and a site that's been on a downward spin. If initiative cannot come from the top down then you have a very large hill to climb to try and bring it from the bottom. I'm sure MCM could corroborate, ex-staff from the old days who came with a fresh look and a lot of initiative who eventually surrendered to the very difficult circumstances.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dismounted Feudal Knight View Post
    I'm sure MCM could corroborate, ex-staff from the old days who came with a fresh look and a lot of initiative who eventually surrendered to the very difficult circumstances.
    Bingo.. but then if you tried and failed, it's your fault. It's much easier to sit on the corner, point fingers and whine.

I spoke with MCM various times, we did have ATL one video conference, we did get in touch for weeks.. to no avail, of course, because anyone who's seen the TWC of old can only be horrified by the state of abandonment that the site is lingering in.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    The Magistrate election is over. Gaius Baltar has been elected as Magistrate (see results here). Congratulations.
    Thanks to everyone for voting. Lets make the Curia great again!

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

jokes aside, you are more than welcome to comment on that, I'm open to be instructed in the ways of "knowing it better"
    This is not needed!
    Less arrogance and more humility

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    This is not needed!
    Oh man, the irony of this is simply amazing

So, your goal here is to perpetuate the problem? because this is what you are doing.

Blog Entries

Well you could say so, but actually I just aligned with the level of discussion I was dragged into. At your service

Well you could say so, but actually I just aligned with the level of discussion I was dragged into. At your service
    There was nothing in these two responses that warranted a snarky response at all. This is what you chose to do. Other than diagreeing with you, there was nothing there that should had provoked such a response from you.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What an awkward way of conceding the point.

It was never an award committee. It still isn't. it is silly notion. You become a citizen to give out awards?

The site is far worse shape than a misplaced pissing content.
    Your Admins
    Abdülmecid I
    Alwyn
    Caillagh de Bodemloze
    GrnEyedDvl
    lolIsuck
    pannonian
    Squid

Out of 7, you have at most 4 active members.

You would be hard press to find more than double that active in the Curia.

There are also just 6 moderators. Every single member of the technical staff are inactive and that has been true for well over 5 years.
    Now you have two inactive tribunes, one of which have been inactive for four months.
    You also have "content director" with no apparent staff. (I supposed staff members were removed, but i would not be surprise if the directors represent 50% of the staff. When I jopined content directors weren't even admin.

The bottom line, if you care enough to post, then you might as well have a say in the matter.

Pardon my sarcasm.
    The Curia was never an awards committee. It de facto became that as activity decreased as a result of administrative neglect but that's not it's main function, not even today. This site is going to be 20 years old in 8 months time. Of those 20 years for about 13 you had to be a citizen to achieve any higher function on the site. In fact there was a period when the only staff work non-citizens could do was content.

Blog Entries

There was nothing in these two responses that warranted a snarky response at all. This is what you chose to do. Other than diagreeing with you, there was nothing there that should had provoked such a response from you.

No Pike, there was

I've asked Adrian (whit whom I later spoke in private, just to clarify), to expand. A lapidary sentence about me "being wrong" is a way too simple answer to a 3000 words post, innit?

This is not needed!
    But you thought I was being arrogant and not showing humility, again not bothering to comment on the object of Adrian's and mine interaction.

So yes, your post definitely dragged down the level of the discussion into going personal and not so covertly offensive, and my response was in line with that.

Try again.

Meanwhile, we remain at your service

No Pike, there was...

But you thought I was being arrogant and not showing humility, again not bothering to comment on the object of Adrian's and mine interaction.

So yes, your post definitely dragged down the level of the discussion into going personal and not so covertly offensive, and my response was in line with that.

Try again.
    Meanwhile, you post this immature image

So, your animosity was triggered because Adrian didn't afford you a clear talking point in which to argue incessantly about the same thing. You think another round would be more fruitful?

Blog Entries

Oh my, how you dare to call Silvio "immature"?

Again, going personal and commenting on the behavior, a glaring example of what higher standards are. If you can't stand the level of discussion you yourself have decided to set up, then I've got a song for you.

It's a great song by the way, almost wasted in this petty discussion.

Blog Entries

Ok, guys, time to move on. Shall we?

Blog Entries

Since new Tribunes have been appointed, I've archived the current VonCs in the Prothalamos' Archives

At the same time I've started a new discussion.
    Last edited by Flinn; August 11, 2022 at 10:22 AM. Reason: forgot a word :P

Blog Entries

So fellow people, this dude is going to have some deserved holidays. I leave the Curia in your good hands, don't burn it down when I'm away, because I would hate myself for having lost such a show.

I'll see you soon, I'm gonna enjoy some family time

Blog Entries

We should make an amendment to prevent Flinn posting such kind of pics

@ Flinn, I promise to wait for your return before to burn this place down

Burning this place down would be lame if Flinn wasn't here to witness it, we clearly have to wait until he gets back