Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Everyone with CDEC medals should qualify imo. Also, bring back the CdeC....

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I don't think we have enough active citizens to even fully staff the CdeC
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

A weak excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    You mean when I oversaw one of the most active periods in Curial history?
    From nothing to artifically inflate due to the modding awards. it summarily dropped thereafter. It would be partial argument if it was sustained in some way.
    "I'm not being problematic in my capacity as a moderator, I'm being problematic in my capacity as a Consul!"
    The pettiness is incredible, keep it coming please - it's the main reason to come to the Curia these days.
    Seriously, why add to it? If it is petty, then drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    If you were not so prompt at spreading your rant against Moderation, you would have noticed that I'm acting here as Consul and not as Moderator. Regarding my answer itself, would you have prefererred to get an hypocritical answer?
    For your information, the debate thread is dedicated to discussiut the applicants and their motivations. As far As I'm concerned, I have not applied to become Magistrate. Hence the reason why your post has been moved here as it's related to the onongoinglection.
    But yes, I could have done like my predecessor and just have deleted it as off-topic.
    It seems like the correct action to take from my POV.

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Yet, you are the one creating drama right now. A really petty one at that. A false one too given that lately I've been on the side of moderators more than I have criticized their actions. I really didn't expect your conduct to stoop so low.
    This is the problem for improvements. people treat the Curia as an extension of the Mudpit. Consequently, something as simple as this turns into the unnecessary drama that should have had ended as quickly as it started.

Quote Originally Posted by M D View Post
    Hilarious to drop in after years away and see not a single topic of conversation in the CVRIA has changed!
    Also that Patricians are back, but alas I do not seem to qualify.
    First, welcome back if you are returning. Either way, I prefer "major Darling" it had a certain "something" about the name.
    Patrician isn't what the original patrician class was, but you probably figured that out judging by your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    I don't think we have enough active citizens to even fully staff the CdeC
    Build it and they will come. (Sorry, too classic of a quote from Field of Dreams. The Curia took a big drop in a number of participants once the CdeC was dissolved.

In all seriousness, if we cannot discuss anything with any sense of rationality, it seems we may not be the best judge on what a citizen is.

Nobody will come Pike. People aren't leaving the site because there is no CdeC.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    It seems like the correct action to take from my POV.
    This is the problem for improvements. people treat the Curia as an extension of the Mudpit. Consequently, something as simple as this turns into the unnecessary drama that should have had ended as quickly as it started.
    Indeed. Lifthrasir could have simply acknowledged his partial treatment of candidates as well as extending his questioning to an other candidate with the same kind of conduct he questioned and it would end as quickly as it started. Instead, he approached a simple criticism with hostility. Random members treating the Curia as an extension of the Mudpit is one thing but when the staff does it it muddies the waters extensively. You are right to point that out. Thank you.
    The Armenian Issue

Nobody will come Pike. People aren't leaving the site because there is no CdeC.
    I was being facetious. It was a setup line for the point starting with "in all seriousness."

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Indeed. Lifthrasir could have simply acknowledged his partial treatment of candidates as well as extending his questioning to an other candidate with the same kind of conduct he questioned and it would end as quickly as it started. Instead, he approached a simple criticism with hostility. Random members treating the Curia as an extension of the Mudpit is one thing but when the staff does it it muddies the waters extensively. You are right to point that out. Thank you.
    You already asked the question and he already answered it. There is no purpose in belaboring a point you do not agree with. If it becomes a pattern, then you can propose a VoNC.
    Last edited by PikeStance; August 07, 2022 at 01:10 PM.

You already asked the question and he already answered it. There is no purpose in belaboring a point you do not agree with. If it becomes a pattern, then you can propose a VoNC.
    Apparently its only belaboring when I respond to a point. Got it... I considered a VoNC for sure but that would be a better course of action if that conduct persists as you point out indeed.
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; August 07, 2022 at 01:32 PM.
    The Armenian Issue

With regards to the very future of the tribunal, I think we all have bigger fish to fry.

Let's move this discussion here...
    I support this proposal however Tribunes are not, per the Const., considered to be Curial Officers as they are not elected and as such they are not subject to votes of no confidence or any other aspect of the Constitution that specifically applies to Curial Officers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Akar is correct. No matter what the result is, this can't be considered as valid. However, I leave it open for discussion.
    I stand somewhat corrected:
    Resolutions can be Amendments, making changes to this document8; Decisions, suggesting changes to the site; Nominations, proposing a member for a Curial award; or Votes of No Confidence (VoNC) against Curial Officers or Staff Members. A VoNC may only be initiated for neglect of duty or abuse of authority10 and, if successful against a Curial Officer, results in their immediate removal from office.
    It would seem there isn't a technicality Afterall. As I previously noted, there isn't a provision for what happens in the event of a successful VoNC of a staff member. I know of previous conversation, it becomes an advisement for the Admin.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Let's move this discussion here...

I stand somewhat corrected:

It would seem there isn't a technicality Afterall. As I previously noted, there isn't a provision for what happens in the event of a successful VoNC of a staff member. I know of previous conversation, it becomes an advisement for the Admin.
    That is clearly a leftover from previous times, Pikes. The Curia can certainly suggest anything to the Hex via discussion or decisions, but a VonC is a very precise Curial procedure that has been applied, so far, only to Curial officers, and never to Staffers, so let's not stress this. Lifth left the threads open for discussion, so if the Citizenship wants to express non-confidence to the two actual Tribunes, they might, and I'm sure that the Hex will consider that. Anyways, as far as I can see, the solution that the Hex is proposing to deal with this whole issue is tending towards having no more Tribunal, which means both the actual Tribunes will be removed in any case.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

It is certainly not a leftover of anything. It has always been there.
    If the admin acts without any reservation to the wishes of the Curia, then there is not point to the Curia's existence at all.

Blog Entries

It is a leftover, I'm pretty sure of that. Anyway, since it would be pointless to spend hours and hours of time to check when and where it should have been removed, let's live with it and move forward; in any case Hex has always the last word on pretty much everything, included this.

If the admin acts without any reservation to the wishes of the Curia, then there is not point to the Curia's existence at all.
    I don't see anyone in this discussion stating that the Hex does so, do you? Anyways, this discussion is pointless as well, as we have had it atl 10 times before. You have your view of what the Curia "should" be, and sadly for you, this is far from the reality, as it has been proven over time again and again and again.... I would just stress out the point that the Curia as a functioning awarding body makes perfectly sense and justifies its existence without need to invent, or pretend, things that are not.

Anyways, let's get back to more actual and compelling matters.

As per the latest passed amendment, the Constitution and the Annals have been amended accordingly.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    It is a leftover, I'm pretty sure of that. Anyway, since it would be pointless to spend hours and hours of time to check when and where it should have been removed, let's live with it and move forward; in any case Hex has always the last word on pretty much everything, included this.
    What an awkward way of conceding the point.

I don't see anyone in this discussion stating that the Hex does so, do you? Anyways, this discussion is pointless as well, as we have had it atl 10 times before. You have your view of what the Curia "should" be, and sadly for you, this is far from the reality, as it has been proven over time again and again and again.... I would just stress out the point that the Curia as a functioning awarding body makes perfectly sense and justifies its existence without need to invent, or pretend, things that are not.

As per the latest passed amendment, the Constitution and the Annals have been amended accordingly.
    It was never an award committee. It still isn't. it is silly notion. You become a citizen to give out awards?

The site is far worse shape than a misplaced pissing content.
    Your Admins
    Abdülmecid I
    Alwyn
    Caillagh de Bodemloze
    GrnEyedDvl
    lolIsuck
    pannonian
    Squid

Out of 7, you have at most 4 active members.

You would be hard press to find more than double that active in the Curia.

There are also just 6 moderators. Every single member of the technical staff are inactive and that has been true for well over 5 years.
    Now you have two inactive tribunes, one of which have been inactive for four months.
    You also have "content director" with no apparent staff. (I supposed staff members were removed, but i would not be surprise if the directors represent 50% of the staff. When I jopined content directors weren't even admin.

The bottom line, if you care enough to post, then you might as well have a say in the matter.

Pardon my sarcasm.

The Curia was never an awards committee. It de facto became that as activity decreased as a result of administrative neglect but that's not it's main function, not even today. This site is going to be 20 years old in 8 months time. Of those 20 years for about 13 you had to be a citizen to achieve any higher function on the site. In fact there was a period when the only staff work non-citizens could do was content.

Blog Entries

Pardon my sarcasm.
    You are pardoned

The Curia was never an awards committee. It de facto became that as activity decreased as a result of administrative neglect but that's not it's main function, not even today. This site is going to be 20 years old in 8 months time. Of those 20 years for about 13 you had to be a citizen to achieve any higher function on the site. In fact there was a period when the only staff work non-citizens could do was content.
    I'm not going into this discussion again, I've post extensively about it here.

Back to more proactive stuff, I posted this special issue in the Curial CMS, with the hope to make it easier for people to approach the Curia and to answer some of their questions in advance.
    Last edited by Flinn; August 08, 2022 at 09:16 AM.

The trend of TWC being marched to the gallows by inactive staff members who refuse to stop gatekeeping and insist the site die a slow death because of their unwillingness to allow volunteers to help in the running of the site is frankly shameful. Choosing to abolish the Tribunal instead of appointing any of the four people interested in the magistrate role to tribune or even contemplating a compromise is just the best example of this we have.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

You're shooting at the wrong target IMO. The 1st responsible is the site owner who, by his long absence, has left the Admins with no or extremely limited means of action. In such case, what can we expect other that the current situation?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Are there any action that requires GeD's approval?
    The Armenian Issue

I fail to see how GED's absence contributes to the inevitable failure of every institution on TWC due to "inactivity" and Hex's unwillingness to make any appointments to solve these problems unless he left a standing order that no new staff may be hired without his approval.