Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: [Artifex] Visarion [Patron: Gaius Baltar]

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    You're new here and that amazes me that a citizen like you are saying that, especially when I know that has not been the case.
    That has always been the case since I've joined this forum at lest.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Is it?

The result of a poll are always public, but not during a voting process and that's why I posted about it.
    Yes it is, read the constitution, and no they're not always public. Go to the Site Competitions forum and check out the Scriptorium Writing Compeition to see a whole a bunch of polls that are private several years after the vote ended.

If you don't know how polls work hop on to the Thema Devia and make a couple of poll threads to see how it's done and what options you get when making one.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; July 21, 2021 at 04:34 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Wow, no posts since July 22.
    Have we grown bored of ourselves?

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Wow, no posts since July 22.
    Have we grown bored of ourselves?
    There are events in the Politia that would shock you if you knew of them. As senior Censor, I do my best to maintain board integrity. "Don't give up the ship!"

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Give it a few more days and there'll be Drama(TM) here once again, I promise.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Give it a few more days and there'll be Drama(TM) here once again, I promise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Baltar View Post
    There are events in the Politia that would shock you if you knew of them. As senior Censor, I do my best to maintain board integrity. "Don't give up the ship!"
    Please share do not deny our chance for our pretentiousness to shine once again. :/

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

You'll see in a couple days, don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Please share do not deny our chance for our pretentiousness to shine once again. :/
    If it's what I think it is, it's going to be a lame repeat of a previous event.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

When is it not a lame repeat of previous events, Adrian?

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Darn, I was trying to let the section expire for inactivity.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I've been trying to do that to all of TWC for years.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

There we go. Much better.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Alright, here goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Commodus View Post
    If we'd like to continue on the merits or not of ostrakon being an anonymous process to start, by all means carry it in the townhall or its own thread; ...
    Personally, I think that the accused should have the right to face their accuser - head on. Always, regardless the circumstances. If the accuser have a solid enough case, there should not be any or much problems - no matter what the defendant does (or says)... It only becomes a problem when the accuser does NOT have a solid case on the defendant. That's my stance, and that is the way I see it...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Having the accuser and the accused duke it out would only result in a mudslinging contest.
    I think you are wrong about that... See above...

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    It is totally immaterial who initiated the ostrakon as it is a question of merit, not who has an axe to grind with whom. ... - never mind being totally irrelevant: the only one to blame for a post is it's author, period.
    I think you are wrong about that... See above... It is very much relevant whom initiated such a process or made any sort of accusations against others, this on anything - especially so - if the case is not solid enough as it is. If it is solid, it won't matter - BUT - if it is not solid, they don't deserve to get away with it, not without a good and healthy scar to remember it all by... Nota bene, I am strictly speaking on general terms here, and not in relation to any particular cases.

Well, that's what I think... What do others think?

- A

Spend a month in the mudpit and come back and tell me I'm wrong. There are people who love to argue just for the sake of arguing or "winning". It doesn't matter how solid your case is, they'll still argue.

Not to mention that people have a hard time accepting that their case is weak. Notice Akar's reactions when he got told his evidence was low quality.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; August 22, 2021 at 06:39 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    I think you are wrong about that... See above... It is very much relevant whom initiated such a process or made any sort of accusations against others, this on anything - especially so - if the case is not solid enough as it is. If it is solid, it won't matter - BUT - if it is not solid, they don't deserve to get away with it, not without a good and healthy scar to remember it all by... Nota bene, I am strictly speaking on general terms here, and not in relation to any particular cases.
    I get where you are coming from, but if memory serves the consul has (had) the right to withhold an ostrakon that has no merit in his view, merit being the topic of every ostrakon, not motive. Although that hasn't been used afaik by a consul as it would raise questions of bias. It is far better\efficient to have the dismerit of such an ostarkon be demonstrated by the participants. But then if the present ostrakon is anything to go by merit is the last thing on the mind of participants, rather said motive. Which the consul\censor thankfully put an end to, ironically that also seemingly put an end to the participation - so much for discussion merit.
    It is the rampant behavior showcased there that is the reason why an ostrakon is anonymous: the discussion simply won't be about merit of the ostrakon but rather about motives of the 'accuser' from the start - poisoning the well and and turning the procedure into a top contender for 'worst mudpit discussion of the month'.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 22, 2021 at 09:24 PM.

What value does knowing your accuser add to the process? What's the argument for it?
    The Armenian Issue

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Not to mention that people have a hard time accepting that their case is weak. Notice Akar's reactions when he got told his evidence was low quality.
    Ahh yes, who could forget reactions like "That's a totally valid opinion to have, though I disagree" and "Again, valid, but I disagree.". Truly I have fallen to great depths of depravity.
    Last edited by Akar; August 23, 2021 at 04:18 AM.

QED

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    What value does knowing your accuser add to the process? What's the argument for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I get where you are coming from, but if memory serves the consul has (had) the right to withhold an ostrakon that has no merit in his view, merit being the topic of every ostrakon, not motive. Although that hasn't been used afaik by a consul as it would raise questions of bias. It is far better\efficient to have the dismerit of such an ostarkon be demonstrated by the participants. But then if the present ostrakon is anything to go by merit is the last thing on the mind of participants, rather said motive. Which the consul\censor thankfully put an end to, ironically that also seemingly put an end to the participation - so much for discussion merit.
    It is the rampant behavior showcased there that is the reason why an ostrakon is anonymous: the discussion simply won't be about merit of the ostrakon but rather about motives of the 'accuser' from the start - poisoning the well and and turning the procedure into a top contender for 'worst mudpit discussion of the month'.
    From a technical standpoint, it should be irrelevant. if the accuser have "clean hands" it will never be about the accused. Courts have always put the accuser under scrutiny. This being said, even if theaccuser has "dirty hands," but the evidence presented is solid and with merit, a reasonable person should come to a warranted decision.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

In an ideal world you would get no argument. In this world you get the current ostrakon where the persona of the accuser is the topic of the discussion and not the merit of the accusation.

That's what the bolded part in my quoted post means and 'poisoning' is what that approach does. A standard defense approach if there is a lack of defensive arguments I believe. I have no issue with cutting that out by keeping the accuser anonymous, reducing that approach to what it is: a desperate attempt to focus minds on speculative personal traits of the accuser instead of the facts at hand.

There are enough safe guards in place to discourage misuse of that anonymity.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 24, 2021 at 12:01 AM.