Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    It would be an unusual step, but if you put a proposal forward for a trial period I'll back it. I don't think there's anything in the constitution saying you can't trial something. Say for three months and then hold a ratification vote... We won't really know until it's tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    ^Indeed. We also have precedent for this, the transparency legislation comes to mind.
    There you go.

Mind you, if you balls this up Brew we're going to string you up in Bee season and smear you in lemon curd.
    Are we talking about shortening the application time now or?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    ...depending how long it takes to GB to recover from his week-end

Sorry Mate, I couldn't resist
    Dammit Lifth, that was our secret

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    Might be me but the constitution doesn't even specify how long the application period is. It only specifies the election/resolution voting periods but by all means I might be reading over it.
    Maybe I am misunderstanding your posts, but...

After a two day discussion period the Curator adds a poll lasting five days.
    The discussion period can be extended at the discretion of the Curator, provided an explanation is given
    It is mandated a 7 day period. It can be discretionally longer. IMO, it does specify even though it allows an extension.

I would be in favor of extending (specifying) the discussion time to 4 days, while reducing the voting period by one, to 4 days.
    This would allow for plenty of discussions to take place when needed while at the same time it adds only one day for applications that go smoothly. A 3/5 split also works as well.

----

There is nothing preventing a resolution from having an expiration date or a renewal/final ratification provision.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Maybe I am misunderstanding your posts, but...

It is mandated a 7 day period. It can be discretionally longer. IMO, it does specify even though it allows an extension.

I would be in favor of extending (specifying) the discussion time to 4 days, while reducing the voting period by one, to 4 days.
    This would allow for plenty of discussions to take place when needed while at the same time it adds only one day for applications that go smoothly. A 3/5 split also works as well.

----

There is nothing preventing a resolution from having an expiration date or a renewal/final ratification provision.
    That is merely for citizenship applications. The proposal I have tackles applications for offices and elections for offices and leaves citizen applications alone. Imo they are the right overall duration. Perhaps switching the debate time with the voting time would be preferable. Certainly not make it longer overall.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    That is merely for citizenship applications. The proposal I have tackles applications for offices and elections for offices and leaves citizen applications alone. Imo they are the right overall duration. Perhaps switching the debate time with the voting time would be preferable. Certainly not make it longer overall.
    I see.

Yeah, I think it can be a 3/4 split. 2 days is a bit short.

Forums should be like Hot southern summer days; It is best sitting in the shade sipping a glass of ice cold lemonade.

At 12:23 Beijing Time (+8) I noticed this
    There are currently 1151 users online. 27 members and 1124 guests

Most users ever online was 5,066, September 29, 2015 at 12:39 AM.

PikeStance, AdmiralThrawn, Benirons, Colos1987, CommodusIV, Cyclops, Cynoscephalae, DeeDoubleYew, Evan MF, Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, Goat rider, julianus heraclius, karaislam, Levite, Nerendas, night_postman, No Bias FTW, Powell, SanyuXV, Sixela, Star_destroyer, super deportee, Surgeon, tlobster12
    Pretty low number of members, though it is not uncommon for this time of the day. BUT, 1124 guest.... straighten hair, fix tie, stand up straight; being watched, must be on best behavior

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

There are a healthy number of spiders and bots included in this (I would guess 10-15%) but it's still a good number.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

How are taken into consideration members connected but "hidden" in these figures? Are they invisibles or are they considered as "guess"?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

My bet would be they are included in the member count - because I am able to see them in the list and hence I think they are simply not displayed but are otherwise regarded by the system as any other member account.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

It says there are 27 members online but only 24 names are shown so they are included.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the clarification guys
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I’ve been here when there was less than 5. Sadly I don’t have the screen shot anymore, but it was a crazy time, we played a game with a hot dog and Tabasco sauce, made our eyes water. I’ll always have the memory.

Blog Entries

Buzz word of the week!!.

Facetious; by definition, is a synonym of 'flippant' - describing behavior meant in light hearted jest.

Facetious; in real life, irritating.

Not suggesting we have a discussion about this. Just pointing it out in the hope of preventing irritation becoming conflict.

Be good.

Opps, double post, Meh. I'm a flippant God.. !

This thread Proposal Augustus Brewster was done in jest, but why not have a large award for service to the Curia and thus to the community at large.

Sure, the Phalera technically applies, but I always thought of the Opifex for modding and Phalera was posting in other sections. The Curia s more of a service.

Curial Service Award - To qualify for the Curial Service Award, the nominee must have served the Curia with distinction as a Citizen for at least six months.

Augustus Award - To qualify for the "Augustus Award", the nominee must provide exceptional dedication in service of the Curia as a Citizen for at least one year.
    In my proposal for GB for CSA, I stated I felt the award was lacking in recognition of his service to the community. eh?

I don't know, just spitballing.

Blog Entries

Too many awards kill the awards. At some stage, we need to stop as it makes the awards meaningless.

Blog Entries

Same as Lift said.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I agree.Thje curia only needs 2 awards, the service medal and a large award (I guess the loincloth might cover that)
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

Novus.
    Awarded for exceptional contributions to the site in the capacity of a staff member.

Well there's that. (The ugly paperweight thing).

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

We've worked out the remaining details for the Ostrakon proposal and will be posting a specific amendment this evening.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    We've worked out the remaining details for the Ostrakon proposal and will be posting a specific amendment this evening.
    Good to know

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    This thread Proposal Augustus Brewster was done in jest, but why not have a large award for service to the Curia and thus to the community at large.

Sure, the Phalera technically applies, but I always thought of the Opifex for modding and Phalera was posting in other sections. The Curia s more of a service.

In my proposal for GB for CSA, I stated I felt the award was lacking in recognition of his service to the community. eh?

I don't know, just spitballing.
    Somewhere I'm actually agreeing with you. I've pondered if I should post this, mostly because you got the idea for me and that feels a little as furthering my own cause.. Anyway, I do think that the Curia should have a large award as well. Going just by the facts anyone who served for six months can get a CSA, but people who've done things to shape the constitution, the office and really put in their blood sweat and tears deserve a higher tier of gratitude. Mainly the likes of Iskar, Frunk, Lifth and Veteraan(to name a few) did enough to warrant a large award for me. Perhaps bumping the CSA to warrant Patrician status for it's holders is something to be considered. Attaining the "higher" class of citizenship by serving the citizenship body seems right to me.

Novus.
    Awarded for exceptional contributions to the site in the capacity of a staff member.

Well there's that. (The ugly paperweight thing).
    That is also only for staff, Curial offices do not fall under staff work. The only work around for a large award would be indeed the Phalera but to me that is indeed for the crack debaters and such.