Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Brew did great as Curator and he's a shiny example of stepping up when nobody else does. I commend him for that. However, I guess he did not run the last time for good reason and I would love to see the young guys step up and take on the responsibility. We have active members here who would have what it takes to do the job, assembling a good team of CAs and taking over what was handed down to them.
    Or we could just add into the constitution that Brew is our curator, for eternity... Someone willing to make such a proposal?

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Brew did great as Curator and he's a shiny example of stepping up when nobody else does. I commend him for that. However, I guess he did not run the last time for good reason and I would love to see the young guys step up and take on the responsibility. We have active members here who would have what it takes to do the job, assembling a good team of CAs and taking over what was handed down to them.
    I should've added this.
    What Aik says is basically my preference. If a new bloke rises I would have no issue with retracting the application and offer to be an assistant.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    Or we could just add into the constitution that Brew is our curator, for eternity... Someone willing to make such a proposal?
    ... and so ended the Republic, the Curia passing the Senatus Consultum Ultimum and the citizens cheering the Augustus.

-----

Regarding what Brew said, anyone taking up the purple could be certain to rely upon the expertise of previous officers. I'd be happy to provide counsel to any new Curator as would surely many greater Curators than me as well, so nobody needs to be afraid of the challenges of office.
    Last edited by Iskar; October 08, 2018 at 04:44 PM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Bad luck Pike old boy.............

Jolly good that Brewster has stepped up to the plate , no better man for the job, I say!

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    ... and so ended the Republic, the Curia passing the Senatus Consultum Ultimum and the citizens cheering the Augustus.

-----

Regarding what Brew said, anyone taking up the purple could be certain to rely upon the expertise of previous officers. I'd be happy to provide counsel to any new Curator as would surely many greater Curators than me as well, so nobody needs to be afraid of the challenges of office.
    I've always wanted a custom badge

Quote Originally Posted by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham View Post
    Bad luck Pike old boy.............
    No worries, "Uncle brig!"

The Show must go on...

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    I've always wanted a custom badge

I can't remember how to make the BG transparent...

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

In the Constitution, it says that Votes of No Confidence can be taken against non-Curial Staff Members. This seems a bit dumb, and should probably be removed.

Article III. Resolutions
    Any Citizen can table a resolution for discussion by posting a thread in the Prothalamos.7
    Resolutions can be Amendments, making changes to this document8; Decisions, suggesting changes to the site; Nominations, proposing a member for a Curial award; or Votes of No Confidence (VoNC) against Curial Officers or Staff Members. A VoNC may only be initiated for neglect of duty or abuse of authority9 and, if successful against a Curial Officer, results in their immediate removal from office.10

It has 0 effect against Staff since the Curia can't apply repercussions.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

The article makes clear that a succesful VonC do not enforce removal, so there's no contradiction in the possibility to initiate a VonC against those officials that the Curia do not has mandate to appoint.
    As someone who consider the Curia foremost a body to enable cooperative site influence, where the Citizenry can meet to make statments for and about our perception on site managment, I would call for caution. It would be detramental to remove a process by which we, at deemed need, can officially formulate and voice discontent held by [least] parts of the Citizenry. In fact that is especially as its not in the Citizenry's authority to remove such an official itself through the Curia.
    If then the body that do has authority to act will do so or not, based on the advice from the Citizenry through the Curia, will be that body's choice, and properly so, that is not a problem because deciding removal is not the purpose in those cases.
    Only if we take the, in my view erroneous, view that the Curia is a mere administrative body [over anything but ourselves, Magistrate role aside], rather than a union for Citizen members, should we remove a process by which we may voice discontent with site managment, based on the reasoning that it is not within our authority to appoint or dismiss a non-Curial official operating on TWC and with our community.
    Last edited by Ngugi; October 08, 2018 at 09:19 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alě, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Eh fair enough

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I am not a fan on how VoNCs seem to be generally initiated: dropping one without previous attempts to clarify\remedy the matter at hand leaves a pretty bad taste in the mouth, regardless of issue and result.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 08, 2018 at 10:06 PM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

On that I very much agree - in principle. In practice I'm in fact less worried than in principle, hehe
    Is it a concern with a non-Curial official it should best be the last resort; after attempts been made to turn directly to the official or the responsible officials in that body.
    Things are arguably a little different with Curial officials. Unless its something that can be solved by a private note or common discussion, VoNC is the tool provided, since the official is appointed by this body of citizens. The statistics however implies we usually do handle that in a civil manner, unless Curialists simply seldom misbehave, hehe;

As far as I can track (and feel free to correct me if I missed someone) we have good reason to be glad over the restraint by which this action is initiated; so let us not fear an issue just because a topic is on our current mind [and keep VoNCs apart from Triumvirate-referrals, of course].
    Ongoing case aside, since mid 2011 we had no more than three VoNC:s up for debate*, each against Curial officials, and only a single one gone to vote. VoNCs are, by virtue of their rarity, not something that is initiated casually.

*not counting the April Fools-VoNCs

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alě, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post

That's a really cool sig

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

If 'simply dropping' is indeed the rare exception then I am not going to worry any further about my taste buds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post

Now that is freaking awesome! I can't rep you but you have my eternal gratitude!

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Hey guys. Just to follow up on my last post, I will begin doing my day-to-day duties this week; Citizen applications will go forward as normal, Prothamalos proposals can go forward at the request of the proposer (either in the thread itself, or let me know via PM) and I'll tidy up all the threads that need archiving or posts moving. I'll also keep a set of administrative notes on everything that we've already done and will do in this interim period, that I will pass along to the next Curator.

Unfortunately, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday are my busy days (it's 10:30pm and I've only just got home tonight!), so to be totally honest, it probably won't happen for a few days. I'll see what I can do Thursday evening, depending on what time I get back, although Friday might be more realistic. Apologies for the delay and I thank you all once again for your patience.

Edit: I might be able to quickly add some polls for citizen apps tomorrow if I can get on a computer, as that should only take a second or two.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; October 09, 2018 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    Now that is freaking awesome! I can't rep you but you have my eternal gratitude!
    Plus biscuits and tea.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Tea is evil!

Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Tea is evil!

Tell that to La De Da

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I'm sure that the Old Shap knows from where this comes from
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader