Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Does the constitution explicitly state the procedure for single candidate elections (snap elections)....

Or is that an interpretation sans explicit procedure.. ?
    The Constitution explicitly states there needs to be a ratification vote with yes, no, and abstain even if there is but one applicant. This is noted in section II where elections in general are explained. Section III just states there needs to be a snap election in the case no runner up is willing to serve as replacement censor in the case of recusal. I would say it is understood this election is subject to the general procedures for elections in section II (since section III is primarily concerned with what the Triumvirate and Magistrates do and not with how elections work).

Regarding this whole affair (and the exchange with mish in the commentary) I must admit I would appreciate a ratification vote to observe proper procedure and give Van Zandt the formal legitimacy he deserves besides the widespread informal approval.
    Given this was really just a snap election for a temporary replacement I do think invalidating the whole process and rerunning the entire procedure would be a bit out of proportion, but a post facto ratification vote of 24 hours could easily be held without slowing things down or placing an extraordinary burden on anyone, while putting things back in good order with the Constitution.
    Last edited by Iskar; June 04, 2018 at 03:47 PM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    I would say it is understood this election is subject to the general procedures for elections in section II ....
    Neither section references the other, and the language in Section III outlines a different procedure than is listed in Section II. The terminology "shortened election" in Section III is even different.

Not trying to build on the semantics but it appears another amendment is needed to aline the two sections.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

You could make it explicitly clear by adding "subject to the procedures in Section II" to the appropriate footnote in section III, that is true, although section II authoritatively defines how elections work which then applies to any further mention of the term ("shortened election" not being a fixed term denoting a structurally different procedure, but just a description of another election with the special quality of lasting just one day).
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

If all this is becoming such a problem I'm going to throw the towel. Everyone is first to comment but participating themselves is a step to far. I'll get the CR done, leave the store in good order and open a curator election. This is becoming more of a burden then any fun/giving back to the community.

After 16 day's I will have served a year. That's good enough for me to close up shop.

PS: Now that I reread the shortened election thing in Section III I have to admit it talks relatively much about the election procedure and how the winner is determined (plurality of votes), so I can see where people come from that read this as an election procedure in its own right, differing from that in Section II.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I do so love saying I told you so..... The constitution is not clear cut and short (snap) elections are not explicitly covered by the single candidate ruling. The single candidate stipulation should be in both sections, or the recusal clause should be in section II. Either or.

I was inclined from the beginning to give Brew some leeway on this, nothing stated since has changed my thinking..

@Brew, from one perspective you made a 'mistake,' from another you acted within the parameters of the constitution. Either way no one died and despite attempts from the CCT to make a mountain out of a pimple the issue can be easily fixed. I know from experience (I think), a year is more than most can stomach of any office. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Don't worry, if you really up, I'll be the first to let you know (if I beat Ponti to it)...

You could make it explicitly clear by adding "subject to the procedures in Section II" to the appropriate footnote in section III, that is true, although section II authoritatively defines how elections work which then applies to any further mention of the term ("shortened election" not being a fixed term denoting a structurally different procedure, but just a description of another election with the special quality of lasting just one day).
    PS: Now that I reread the shortened election thing in Section III I have to admit it talks relatively much about the election procedure and how the winner is determined (plurality of votes), so I can see where people come from that read this as an election procedure in its own right, differing from that in Section II.
    Probably a quick amendment to "tidy it up"

Regarding this whole affair (and the exchange with mish in the commentary) I must admit I would appreciate a ratification vote to observe proper procedure and give Van Zandt the formal legitimacy he deserves besides the widespread informal approval.
    Given this was really just a snap election for a temporary replacement I do think invalidating the whole process and rerunning the entire procedure would be a bit out of proportion, but a post facto ratification vote of 24 hours could easily be held without slowing things down or placing an extraordinary burden on anyone, while putting things back in good order with the Constitution.
    Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    If all this is becoming such a problem I'm going to throw the towel. Everyone is first to comment but participating themselves is a step to far. I'll get the CR done, leave the store in good order and open a curator election. This is becoming more of a burden then any fun/giving back to the community.

After 16 day's I will have served a year. That's good enough for me to close up shop.
    If we are accepting some ambiguity, then actions taken are mitigated. A quick amendment to tidy things will do the trick.

GB, I wouldn't overreact. People that seem to care are fine with your actions, those that don't (if any) don't.

Blog Entries

Curator Report is up here.

@ Halie, thanks and I wouldn't expect anything less

@ Pike, I wouldn't call it over reacting in anyway.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Right.....

I'm on my phone, so please excuse the brevity.

One, thanks GB for your report, good job

Two, before the simplification, each election had a reference to the section explaining elections in general. Best to restore the this if it was lost in translation.

Three, GB, don't take anything to heart. You're doing good! Don't be frustrated, keep it coming. People don't mean to critisize you personally, they simply do not agree with you. Happens to me all the time, no big deal.

Gentlemen, the vote has concluded and Aikanar has been elected magistrate.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Thanks everybody who voted for me

Blog Entries

Did we discuss members posting anything other than ‘Voted’ in vote threads? I’m sure we did but can’t recall if it was recent-ish or ten years ago.

Also pretty sure comments other than ‘voted’ were (constitutionally) prohibited as they may indicated a particular choice.. Though I presume that’s been lost over time..

Strictly speaking all other comments are not allowed in vote threads:
    Quote Originally Posted by Section II, Article III, R&P
    When a resolution is moved to vote, the Prothalamos thread is left open and the Curator posts the latest version of the resolution, and a link to its Prothalamos thread, as a new poll in the Curia Vote forum. Subsequent posts in this thread are limited to the notification of having voted.
    I guess this rule is enforced rather by its spirit than by its letter where comments are innocuous in nature (i.e. not related to which choice was or is to be made in the vote), though.

Well, it doesn't say you have to say "voted" just to informed that you notified that you had voted. Humor is tolerated as as long as it doesn't go beyond "notifying" you had voted.
    Personally, I rarely read beyond the poll. Let's keep in fun.

Blog Entries

Ah right. Personally I’d rather see that rule enforced. There’s plenty of opportunity to have fun elsewhere.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE

If you're referring to my comment for Van Zandt's voting post, then I apologize. I wasn't aware that such rule (official or not) existed.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 21, 2018 at 11:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Hello y'all,

I will be on a short vacation starting today until Monday the 9th of July. Bolton will be here to take care of proceedings.
    Have a nice week y'all.

Cheers,
    Brew

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE

Hello y'all,

I will be on a short vacation starting today until Monday the 9th of July. Bolton will be here to take care of proceedings.
    Have a nice week y'all.

Cheers,
    Brew
    Have fun old bean.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Hello y'all,

Have a nice week y'all.

Cheers,
    Brew
    have a good time maat
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Blog Entries

Re: the magistrate vote... Good grief...