Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I thought only citizens, and hex of course, could post in the Curia, but how could Ponti post in the Consul debate thread when he isn't a citizen anymore unless there is something I'm not aware of.
    This situation has been noted and is being investigated. This required a consult with Hex to determine the citizenship status of the member in question. Apparently posting permissions are still being worked out.
    Last edited by Gaius Baltar; July 31, 2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: update

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

A usergroups permissions error that should be fixed now.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

It seems no one is intrested in a discussion that might give a boost of renewal, a boost TWC definitely need.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Congratz to Caillagh for his well deserved Novus. Well done Mate
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Thank you!

Also, thank you to everyone who voted. I'm very honoured.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

As I don't see any sign of an election having/being started, I guess it's useful to remind the Curial officers that my term as a Magistrate has ended this day.
    Last edited by Veteraan; September 03, 2019 at 09:15 AM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Tis the hallmark of my time as consul apparently to forget to check the Politia election dates thread only right when it would be most inconvenient to

Magistrate election is up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hader View Post
    Magistrate election is up now.
    What badge?

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...e-Applications
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...istrate-Debate

I don't see the Magistrate badge in both threads.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

I'm relatively new to the Curia, though been here for quite a while. From the short period of time since I've become a citizen and became more exposed to dealings of the Curia the word that comes to mind is disorder. The political turmoils are fun and all but the current state of this institution is chaotic given that one looks for substance. Is it simply lack of substance? Maybe there is no drive. Mods leaving the site with the development of Steam is a major factor for sure. Or is the system flawed enough to undermine content creation? There just seems to be too much noise. To be honest, I'm not really sure what being a citizen added to my site experience.

There is clearly a need to reform the Curia, both in shape and form. However, its not something that can done through overhaul suggestions of individuals, and it shouldn't be done through amendments. We need a new institution that acknowledges the realities of our time. Of course, first and foremost this is a site about Total War games. That link can not be severed. However, it should be reformed. Steam's monopoly on mods is a reality. There is no going back to good old days. So, new ways to attract fans should be created. That's perhaps the primary task. There are many other sections that could be approached differently.

While individual efforts to change the Curia is great but the real change should be coming from the Hex with their consensus and the contribution of all Citizens. They should come up with a framework, a new system, fresh and simple, so that Citizens can substantiate that through their proposals. From scratch. A new constitution. New ranks. Clear hierarchy. Clear guidelines. Clear structure. A system that encourages and often require participation. In a site like this change should come from the top. The other way will probably not work.
    The Armenian Issue

Everything you have suggested have already been done, and then done away with. Citizenship was supposed to promote good posting/ participation, but it turned into something else. The Curia "as an institution" was supposed to be one means to an end. Admin can't do everything. Citizenship was supposed to afford the site a means to evolve with the times. At some point, citizens stop seeing both Curia and Admin as open to change. What once was will never become if left to individuals to see everything differently. This is why I suggested a group to promote citizenship to those members who are good posters; it could re-energize a concept that worked for many years. Though, if we do not learn from the past, the site is doomed to be right back here (if it ever manages to get from here). BTW, site survived without mods. Modders weren't especially recognized until the Artifex Act. The big problem is content. people prefer videos now to written guides. This is why (years ago now) that the site make connections with youtubers (many of which are members of this forum) to at least form a mutually beneficial relationship. Back then, the site was more active and had something to offer. I am not sure it will work now.

The proliferation of different online media platforms geared towards gaming, coupled with what seems to be an overall decline in engagement with the Total War franchise compared to its heyday, are certainly contributing factors to TWC’s decline. This, combined with the growing obsolescence of BBS sites, means TWC will always be a niche community, even within Total War. Therefore, I don’t think any combination of good ideas will bring back the good old days. Hell, I don’t even own anything newer than Rome 2 and I still mostly play Rome 1....on my phone.

I’m not sure what the utility could be of getting Total War Youtubers (twitchers? Lol) to name drop or link to the forum on their channels as a way to increase traffic to the site...? I’m sure it’s been discussed periodically as mentioned, but perhaps could be better leveraged with a little fundraising and some contacts.

That said, I think playing to TWC’s strengths could be a great way to retain active members (a bit hypocritical of me to say since I was AWOL for a couple years). Most people who are into sitting down, writing something out, and posting it online for the world to see are engaged by the sense they are being seen and gratified. I believe the admins/content creators understand this and, from what I’ve seen, are doing a great job spending time and effort to create new contests, awards, and ways for users to be heard. Rather than trying to recapture what was lost, I think more aggressive exposure for TWC will complement the great work that is already being done to reward those who stick around and keep the place going for all of us.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

How it can be done, whether it can or can't be done, is not the first thing people should decide on. Do you guys want to save this place? Or let it rot away?
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    I'm relatively new to the Curia, though been here for quite a while. From the short period of time since I've become a citizen and became more exposed to dealings of the Curia the word that comes to mind is disorder. The political turmoils are fun and all but the current state of this institution is chaotic given that one looks for substance. Is it simply lack of substance? Maybe there is no drive. Mods leaving the site with the development of Steam is a major factor for sure. Or is the system flawed enough to undermine content creation? There just seems to be too much noise. To be honest, I'm not really sure what being a citizen added to my site experience.

There is clearly a need to reform the Curia, both in shape and form. However, its not something that can done through overhaul suggestions of individuals, and it shouldn't be done through amendments. We need a new institution that acknowledges the realities of our time. Of course, first and foremost this is a site about Total War games. That link can not be severed. However, it should be reformed. Steam's monopoly on mods is a reality. There is no going back to good old days. So, new ways to attract fans should be created. That's perhaps the primary task. There are many other sections that could be approached differently.

While individual efforts to change the Curia is great but the real change should be coming from the Hex with their consensus and the contribution of all Citizens. They should come up with a framework, a new system, fresh and simple, so that Citizens can substantiate that through their proposals. From scratch. A new constitution. New ranks. Clear hierarchy. Clear guidelines. Clear structure. A system that encourages and often require participation. In a site like this change should come from the top. The other way will probably not work.
    Before you continue I suggest that you read this. Also, read the other threads.

I skimmed through those threads. Seems like GeD was doing most of the work by himself and it was not actualized. He can't possibly do everything by himself. That's why I think the efforts should be coordinated by the Hex. Perhaps each Hex could divide up the discussion and patron each subject (technical details, content, citizens, etc). Make citizens do the thinking, have Hex guide the brainstorming, and GeD can approve. Once we have a good plan there can be a fundraising from members to fund it.
    The Armenian Issue

I skimmed through those threads. Seems like GeD was doing most of the work by himself and it was not actualized. He can't possibly do everything by himself.
    I think GED posted that thread a few years after he bought TWC, so I don't think GED did all the work as he wanted to share his views about the Curia.

Of course I could be wrong, so if anyone who know when GED took over TWC then feel free to correct me.

That's why I think the efforts should be coordinated by the Hex. Perhaps each Hex could divide up the discussion and patron each subject (technical details, content, citizens, etc). Make citizens do the thinking, have Hex guide the brainstorming, and GeD can approve. Once we have a good plan there can be a fundraising from members to fund it.
    I don't think that would work (what I bolded), instead it should be the opposite and what I mean the citizens could do the brainstorming while Hex do the thinking, just to make sure if an idea is feasible to do or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    The proliferation of different online media platforms geared towards gaming, coupled with what seems to be an overall decline in engagement with the Total War franchise compared to its heyday, are certainly contributing factors to TWC’s decline. This, combined with the growing obsolescence of BBS sites, means TWC will always be a niche community, even within Total War. Therefore, I don’t think any combination of good ideas will bring back the good old days. Hell, I don’t even own anything newer than Rome 2 and I still mostly play Rome 1....on my phone.

I’m not sure what the utility could be of getting Total War Youtubers (twitchers? Lol) to name drop or link to the forum on their channels as a way to increase traffic to the site...? I’m sure it’s been discussed periodically as mentioned, but perhaps could be better leveraged with a little fundraising and some contacts.

That said, I think playing to TWC’s strengths could be a great way to retain active members (a bit hypocritical of me to say since I was AWOL for a couple years). Most people who are into sitting down, writing something out, and posting it online for the world to see are engaged by the sense they are being seen and gratified. I believe the admins/content creators understand this and, from what I’ve seen, are doing a great job spending time and effort to create new contests, awards, and ways for users to be heard. Rather than trying to recapture what was lost, I think more aggressive exposure for TWC will complement the great work that is already being done to reward those who stick around and keep the place going for all of us.
    This is the "other" argument that has been made. There is nothing we can do, so no change. A site can only be relevant if it useful to its users. The voice was lost ages ago. There is no magic to rekindling it.

That is basically useless. It was GED's plan that he wanted feedback. The plan was a more role-playing angle type stuff that would not have generated much interest outside of those interested in blogging.

I don't think that would work (what I bolded), instead it should be the opposite and what I mean the citizens could do the brainstorming while Hex do the thinking, just to make sure if an idea is feasible to do or not.
    That's pretty much what I'm saying with just different words. Notice I suggested that the Hex would guide the thinking. Hex have experience and knowledge in how such a site is run. Let the citizens do the thinking and come up with ideas. From scratch, without ties to any existing institution.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    This is the "other" argument that has been made. There is nothing we can do, so no change. A site can only be relevant if it useful to its users. The voice was lost ages ago. There is no magic to rekindling it.
    Well, there’s certainly more than “nothing” that can be done. Correct me if I’m wrong, but TWC has always had a steady supply of new faces to fill the ranks of staff when existing users inevitably drop off the radar. I see lots of new faces, and I think the push to find and recruit new active citizens eager to contribute has produced results. A healthy dose of initiative aimed at driving up exposure and bringing in bodies could help spur more of a good thing that’s already being done.

What I push back against is the idea that TWC needs to be “saved” with some big new plan that has no guarantee of a payoff, notwithstanding the subsequent irony of semantic choice for the non-working PayPal link in my sig Plenty of people are putting in countless hours for free to keep the site going and generate new content, and have been for years. The Staff and Hex are doing a great job under the circumstances; many people consistently so for over a decade of their lives. If each of us can match such dedication, I’ve no doubt TWC will always have a place in the Total War community.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    That is basically useless. It was GED's plan that he wanted feedback. The plan was a more role-playing angle type stuff that would not have generated much interest outside of those interested in blogging.
    Is it? I think not.

So, I take it then anything you proposed will work while anything that's proposed from other citizens does not work.

Besides, what has blogging to do with this. Nothing, absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    Well, there’s certainly more than “nothing” that can be done. Correct me if I’m wrong, but TWC has always had a steady supply of new faces to fill the ranks of staff when existing users inevitably drop off the radar. I see lots of new faces, and I think the push to find and recruit new active citizens eager to contribute has produced results. A healthy dose of initiative aimed at driving up exposure and bringing in bodies could help spur more of a good thing that’s already being done.

What I push back against is the idea that TWC needs to be “saved” with some big new plan that has no guarantee of a payoff, notwithstanding the subsequent irony of semantic choice for the non-working PayPal link in my sig Plenty of people are putting in countless hours for free to keep the site going and generate new content, and have been for years. The Staff and Hex are doing a great job under the circumstances; many people consistently so for over a decade of their lives. If each of us can match such dedication, I’ve no doubt TWC will always have a place in the Total War community.
    If you think there are a lot of new faces, I would say you have been gone for some time. Staff positions has decreased and citizenship have decreased as well. Even if someone were to present a grand new plan, it would never see the light of day. I would agree, it doesn't have be a complex scheme.

Is it? I think not.

So, I take it then anything you proposed will work while anything that's proposed from other citizens does not work.

Besides, what has blogging to do with this. Nothing, absolutely nothing.
    I was part of the discussion. GED created the blogs. He didn't want just anyone posting blogs because he new citizens who routinely write inappropriate thins (TOS violation etc). His "plan" was a system by which members would be vetted. Ironic that you tell people to read it, but it doesn't see you had.

Well, other people's ideas have failed. What was "implemented" fro my initiative have been so altered that it rendered it useless. Of course, that is not to say it would have worked. I have always said, whatever is done, it will be long shot. I warned what seem like 5 years ago that we are approaching the tipping point. Well, we passed it. Anything now is just a hope and prayer.