Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

  1. #6241
    Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Patrician Consul

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    12,940

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    This is a glorious day for the Curia. Common sense finally prevailed.



    Quite the opposite. This has increased the value of your badge because it is now what it was always meant to be, a reward, instead of a burden or obligation.
    I don't think it affects citizenship much one way or the other honestly, but more so is a way of getting more value out of the curia as a whole. Some see it as doing so (potentially) at the cost of devaluing personal citizenship, I don't see it devaluing any individual's citizenship, but also not really increasing it in any way either.

  2. #6242
    Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Patrician Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland
    Posts
    5,299

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    Thanks for considering me worthy of the Phalera. Receiving it from the hands of such distinguished people makes it all the more meaningful.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi

    I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.

    On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

    Under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Neadal/Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

  3. #6243
    Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Patrician Consul

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    12,940

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    PSA: Forum movements are mostly happening around now, if you're browsing anything in the Curia, Proth, Q&S, and any other forum affected by moves from the proposal, some funky stuff may happen while the moves occur and some viewing permissions may take time to update. Let me know if any permissions/viewing issues persist for more than ~10 minutes.
    Last edited by Hader; February 21, 2019 at 04:25 PM.

  4. #6244
    ♔atthias♔'s Avatar Modding Staff
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the netherlands
    Posts
    3,922

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    congrats to iskar for getting the phalera

    and a belated welcome for non binary person as a citizen (I will have to get used to a different name)
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

    If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

    Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

  5. #6245
    StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Censor Administrator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    8,166

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    Please have a look at this thread. I'm trying to implement the changes laid out in the Curial overhaul, but there were some things that were not specified completely. Some things I'm adding it I think are within the spirit of the amendment, but there are other things I'm not sure about that might require an additional amendment be voted on.

  6. #6246
    Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Patrician Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland
    Posts
    5,299

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    Thanks for diligently doing this crapload of work entailed by such a major change, Stealthfox. You have my confidence that you will act with good measure in filling in any gaps that may have been left by the amendment. Minor and logical changes may be enough to be informally acclaimed here though (instead of a formal vote), if you still feel something goes beyond your remit.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi

    I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.

    On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

    Under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Neadal/Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

  7. #6247
    StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Censor Administrator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    8,166

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    Thanks Iskar.

    I just finished Section III. That should be most of the changes to the Constitution other than a few odd questions on things that might require additional amendment.

    Now that the Constitution is updated to reflect the changes, including the new offices, I plan to work on the Prefect elections tomorrow.

  8. #6248
    Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes
    Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    The alcoves in the Koningin Astridpark
    Posts
    5,709

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    How are we gonna handle the Praefect elections? Just elect 2 people, and then they decide between themselves whether 1 of them will stay in office for 3 months and the other 6 months so that we elect a new one every 3 months?
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; February 21, 2019 at 10:21 PM.




  9. #6249
    Van Zandt's Avatar pulvis et umbra
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West of the Trinity
    Posts
    6,130
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    On another note, Curial Information and Announcements has not been updated recently. Perhaps this type of recording keeping has passed it prime?

  10. #6250
    Settra's Avatar the Imperishable
    Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nehekhara
    Posts
    14,183

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    How are we gonna handle the Praefect elections? Just elect 2 people, and then they decide between themselves whether 1 of them will stay in office for 3 months and the other 6 months so that we elect a new one every 3 months?
    Elect two people. The one with the most votes stays 6 months, the other one stays 3. After 3 months we elect a new one for a full term.
    Last edited by Settra; February 22, 2019 at 02:47 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!


  11. #6251
    PikeStance's Avatar ⚜️ Omnipresent ⚜️
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Shenzhen
    Posts
    11,693
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    What about the Wiki? The focus on mods here contra the official forum? What about the numerous things offered by Staff here? The many publications, the Screenshot competitions, the writing competitions, the art support bit, everything Content Staff does really,, Gaming Staff RPG and Hotseats, the Curia is still special. The activity, friendliness and proffesionalism shown by the site runners too, and how much they care about the site and not the bling, from friendly, amazing feedback to what people write to providing emotional and personal support on tough matters.

    I do not mean to come across as a suck-up. This forum has, in my opinion plenty to offer to make itself stand out, and I love TWC and the members in here too for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    The vote is the most important thing. Whats more important, a minor country being in the UN or one of the Big Five's veto powers? Citizens still have the final say over what gets added to the site, and to appease your perspective, without us nothing can be done.

    Letting non-citizens in means there is MORE for us to do, and what we do will hopefully be of a higher quality because we will have more insights and points of view to help shape the proposals/changes that are passed by the Curia.

    There are, at most, 30 members of the Curia who actually engage in Curial stuff. These 30 people are the only things that hold together this entire site? Sorry but no, just no. There is much more that makes up TWC than the Curia and we should all be working to broaden those areas rather than focusing so much on 1 body which is barely active, and which the great majority of people who use TWCenter are incapable of even being involved in since they're not Citizens.
    Caligula and KA,

    First, let's be blunt. An interest of the site has always been for the Mods. Unless we get mods back on the site there is little chance of any recovery. You could argue that multiplayer gaming is also an attraction. However, we all know there are competing for both. The lack of interest in the site on the part of citizens speaks to the issue. Openig the Prothalomos will not in any way promote interest.
    As I have stated many times the best way to promote the site is to actively seek out members who have invested their time and contributed to the site. Unfortunately, the standards for citizenship rose from its humble beginnings. Perhaps a more disturbing trend is the lack of patrons. This speaks to a greater issue of a lack of value for citizenship. The notion that citizenship is "elitist" stems from both factors, patrons are the gate and the standards are guards at the gate. My patron once remarked that in order to qualify for a large award one does not have to shoot lightning bolts out of their butts. Citizenship is similar. You do not have to create a boatload of content in order to qualify. I have attempted to demonstrate this. Zoner16 is one good example. I have sadly seen members participate, contributing to the site, and then after 6 or so months, disappear. After waiting to see if anyone would bring the person forward, I would approach only to find to my disappointment that this member is no longer active. One has to wonder if we had if this person would still be here providing insight.

    Keep in mind, one does not have to be a skilled modder to be an Artifex, they just have to produce content. One does not have to be a brilliant writer, just produce content. One does not have to be a brilliant debater, just participating in creating content. If we were to set a high standard, then maybe behavior. However, not even there are standards high. a warning in the past 6 months. That is all that is required. For the most part, you can receive warnings has a citizen and you will be able to receive them for a while before a more serious action may be taken. I am not advocating letting in the 'devil," but we do not need to only consider those who may qualify for sainthood either.

    Specifically, we can look at gaming. It has been a while since we passed the award for non-staff members. I do not know if anyone has been awarded, but I find it hard to believe that anyone worthy of such an award is not worthy of citizenship either. Thus far, the award has only gone to "staff." Citizenship operates on a "pay it forward" principle. Someone takes notice of you and patronize you. You then "pay it forward, and patronize someone else and so goes the system. Patronizing has always been more intrinsic than extrinsic in nature. The selling point was a slightly more important voice on the site. Now that voice is muffled. How does one seel the notion of citizenship to anyone now? If the drive wasn't there before, it is not going to magically appear.

    It has been since 2014 since we have more than 30 applications. In 2017, there were only 12 applications. Gone are the days of 4+ a month.

    Sad thing is that this proposal "solved" a nonexistent problem while leaving the one problem untouched and it devalued the one means to help the site recover.
    MODDERS WANTED | MY PATRONAGES
    Imperial Splendour is looking for Modders and Researchers. SEE AD HERE
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

    Under the Patronage of Omnipotent- Q | Member of the House of Wild Bill Kelso
    Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack |
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier


    Honourable Society of Silly Old Duffers | House of Noble Discourse

  12. #6252
    Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Patrician Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland
    Posts
    5,299

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    Keep it in perspective, there are no more than thirty of us for whom the Curia constitutes an important part of citizenship and an 80% majority of those obviously did not consider the opening of the Proth as a devaluation of it. Maybe it devalued your personal citizenship in your personal perspective, which is sad, but certainly not ciitzenship in general where the majority opinion is concerned.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi

    I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.

    On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

    Under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Neadal/Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

  13. #6253
    Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southern Sweden
    Posts
    3,879

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Openig the Prothalomos will not in any way promote interest.
    Then you need to present a solid argument why you think that open up the Prothalamos will not promote interst.

    So far I haven't read anything from you about why "open up the Prothalamos" does not have the result the member who made such a proposal stated.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

  14. #6254
    PikeStance's Avatar ⚜️ Omnipresent ⚜️
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Shenzhen
    Posts
    11,693
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Keep it in perspective, there are no more than thirty of us for whom the Curia constitutes an important part of citizenship and an 80% majority of those obviously did not consider the opening of the Proth as a devaluation of it. Maybe it devalued your personal citizenship in your personal perspective, which is sad, but certainly not ciitzenship in general where the majority opinion is concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Then you need to present a solid argument why you think that open up the Prothalamos will not promote interst.

    So far I haven't read anything from you about why "open up the Prothalamos" does not have the result the member who made such a proposal stated.
    You are either just being argumentative or you really not getting it. Since when is the majority is always right a valid argument.
    There were 20 votes on the proposal. That's it.

    We are ignoring or evading it. Rather than deal with it, we just choose to ignore it completely. There is little to no sense of efficacy on the site. There isn't going to be a sudden interest by simply opening things up. There is a reason why "citizens" the more active members of the site are not bothering. I wonder how long we can all ignore the White Elephant in the room.

    I supposed we all will see it. The question is; is it too late already? I do not know if the site has the ability to suddenly become proactive.
    MODDERS WANTED | MY PATRONAGES
    Imperial Splendour is looking for Modders and Researchers. SEE AD HERE
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

    Under the Patronage of Omnipotent- Q | Member of the House of Wild Bill Kelso
    Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack |
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier


    Honourable Society of Silly Old Duffers | House of Noble Discourse

  15. #6255
    Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southern Sweden
    Posts
    3,879

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    You are either just being argumentative or you really not getting it. Since when is the majority is always right a valid argument.
    I do get it. Anyone who is arguing about something has always presented an argument to speak for ones cause. And that's what I meant, nothing else.

    Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    There were 20 votes on the proposal. That's it.
    So what... What has that to do with Hader's proposal.

    Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    We are ignoring or evading it. Rather than deal with it, we just choose to ignore it completely. There is little to no sense of efficacy on the site. There isn't going to be a sudden interest by simply opening things up. There is a reason why "citizens" the more active members of the site are not bothering. I wonder how long we can all ignore the White Elephant in the room.

    I supposed we all will see it. The question is; is it too late already? I do not know if the site has the ability to suddenly become proactive.
    You have repeated the same thing over and over again without presenting a good argument of why you're right and other who disagree with you are wrong.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

  16. #6256
    Elfdude's Avatar The Blue Spirit
    Patrician Citizen Censor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,338

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    You are either just being argumentative or you really not getting it. Since when is the majority is always right a valid argument.
    There were 20 votes on the proposal. That's it.
    Valuation is a populist argument i.e. the value of the object or service is determined by the agreed upon value of the people who use or have use of it. The affirmative vote people weren't concerned that the vote devalues their citizenship or at least think the rest of the proposal is more valuable than that loss. If 80% of them made that calculation then it's a safe bet that your main thesis about valuation has nothing to do with why others made their choice. The reality here is that you've never presented a solid argument as to why anyone else should view citizenship the way you do, this disconnect is why your complaints and protest mean little. You've stated in many different ways that this devalues citizenship, and every time someone has responded you've declared it not what your getting at then restated the same thing. At this point I have no idea what the basis for your opinion is and I simply am finding your arguments tedious because it feels like we're going in circles.
    "Pride is not the antidote of Shame but its source, humility is its only true antidote." - Iroh

    "
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    @ Elfdude, I don't give a for your condescending appraisal of my strategy. You haven't addresses a single point because I think you're unable to. I'm embarrassed for you honestly. Never has somebody so pathetically claimed the moral high ground. Piss poor debating, piss poor. I accept your surrender. Absolutely pathetic. Phalera my ass.
    When all else fails insult your opponents.

  17. #6257
    Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    8,588
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    Haven't read all the proposal threads etc, but I wonder why I don't have rights to post in the curial commentary thread? At first I assumed it was closed completely, but I can see others who are "only" citizens can post in it. Something I've missed perhaps?
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.


  18. #6258
    Elfdude's Avatar The Blue Spirit
    Patrician Citizen Censor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,338

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    One can have their rights to post there specifically suspended, did you get suspended in the past? Shoot an admin a PM.
    "Pride is not the antidote of Shame but its source, humility is its only true antidote." - Iroh

    "
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    @ Elfdude, I don't give a for your condescending appraisal of my strategy. You haven't addresses a single point because I think you're unable to. I'm embarrassed for you honestly. Never has somebody so pathetically claimed the moral high ground. Piss poor debating, piss poor. I accept your surrender. Absolutely pathetic. Phalera my ass.
    When all else fails insult your opponents.

  19. #6259
    StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Censor Administrator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    8,166

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    I have seen a few others say they cannot post in Questions and Suggestions or the Infraction and Appeals forum. I don't know if it's already been reported to Hex but I did so just now.

  20. #6260
    Settra's Avatar the Imperishable
    Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nehekhara
    Posts
    14,183

    Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

    I can't post there either after the move. Given that Elf and Aexed can post while former important people like me maisie cannot I would venture to say it has something to do with content or general staff permissions.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •