Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

The easiest way would be to reduce the height of the pic and to leave an empty transparent part on it, on top or on bottom or on both.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; March 17, 2019 at 12:38 AM. Reason: typo
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

It'd make more sense to just edit the badges to add 12 pixels of transparent space above em (seems to be what was previously there, eg see Flinn's still un-updated Hex badge), rather than editing the visuals of the images to add empty space. Just adds 1-2kb extra, so its no biggy.
    You'd just have to get Squid to update the badges.

I don't believe there was any spacing before. The space that was there was due to the "ID" image being larger than the badge itself.
    It seems less work to increase the padding than to change every image.

Blog Entries

Not possible as we're not allowed to have bigger badges. What I suggested above is basically how the former one were made (from my understanding).
    In any case, that's up to Katsumoto but for my part, I'm happy as they are now.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

At the risk of being a curmudgeon, I preferred the previous badges.

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

I was shocked to see these badges, can we have an option to at least have the old ones as an option?

Update:
    Anyway i removed it, but if we had these badges before some years i wouldn't even try to win the Artifex badge.
    Last edited by b0Gia de Bodemloze; March 16, 2019 at 08:37 AM.
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

They have some appeal and we should wear them for the next few months as 3 Kingdoms winds up. After a period of time we could switch back. This is essentially what happened with the Medieval 2 badges and titles.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

They are new and different. In a few months, they may grow on you. You'll never know.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I don't believe there was any spacing before.
    Actually, there were a little space before, because the badge symbols was a bit higher than the frame of a badge.

Just compare the old ones e.g the Duffer badge with the new 3K bagdes and you will notice a little space above the top frame of the badge.

The new ones, however, doesn't have the badge symbol higher than the top frame of a badge.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Actually, there were a little space before, because the badge symbols was a bit higher than the frame of a badge.

Just compare the old ones e.g the Duffer badge with the new 3K bagdes and you will notice a little space above the top frame of the badge.

The new ones, however, doesn't have the badge symbol higher than the top frame of a badge.
    This is what I was referring to

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    They have some appeal and we should wear them for the next few months as 3 Kingdoms winds up. After a period of time we could switch back. This is essentially what happened with the Medieval 2 badges and titles.
    To be blunt, I couldn't care less what CA is releasing at the moment. Nor do I see any reason to advertise it for them.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

It's not an attempt to advertise for CA. It's an effort to keep this site relevant and try to attract new members from the current fan base.

Also, as a few others have said I agree it would be nice if we could get some additional padding around the badge.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Wouldnt it be splendid if the duffer badges were official eh? my life would be complete,the new badges are in keeping with the 3 kingdoms theme, and rather Stirling artistry I must say, we may be able to switch back after the 3 Kingdoms hubbub has ended?

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

No. You were not.

Since you posted directly after Caligula's post most people assume that the poster is commenting the previous post and no other posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    It'd make more sense to just edit the badges to add 12 pixels of transparent space above em (seems to be what was previously there, eg see Flinn's still un-updated Hex badge), rather than editing the visuals of the images to add empty space. Just adds 1-2kb extra, so its no biggy.
    You'd just have to get Squid to update the badges.
    I don't believe there was any spacing before. The space that was there was due to the "ID" image being larger than the badge itself.
    It seems less work to increase the padding than to change every image.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham View Post
    the new badges are in keeping with the 3 kingdoms theme, and rather Stirling artistry I must say, we may be able to switch back after the 3 Kingdoms hubbub has ended?
    Plus one old boy.
    The new ones are indeed very nice, but I would very much prefer to have my old badge back, after 3K's release etc. I'm a creature of habit and the Ancient theme matches my beard perfectly
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 16, 2019 at 11:37 AM.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by b0Gia de Bodemloze View Post
    I was shocked to see these badges, can we have an option to at least have the old ones as an option?

Update:
    Anyway i removed it, but if we had these badges before some years i wouldn't even try to win the Artifex badge.
    You're shocked there's new badges despite the fact that the badge competition was advertised for months in big bold colours across the top of the forum?

I have noticed the spacing but it's a pretty minor issue in my opinion, I would have to fiddle around with every badge's layout to make it work, which I don't have the time or inclination to do at the moment (especially if we're not planning on having the badges around for long). I would hope some forum setting or code could be adjusted instead to give it more space rather than having to make the badge even smaller.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Quote Originally Posted by b0Gia de Bodemloze View Post

Update:
    You could try to do the same trick Noble Savage did with his post profile.

Not sure what happen with his profile, though.

No. You were not.

Since you posted directly after Caligula's post most people assume that the poster is commenting the previous post and no other posts.
    Actually, that was the second post. The first post was this
    The new badges look nice, but because they use the entire space (no overlapping images), there isn't a nice "gap" with the user titles, so it looks very busy and the user title is squeezed between two images. I wonder if it possible to increase the spacing.
    Anyway, we are both wrong. There was a natural gap as you can see below. The overlap is insignificant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    The easiest way would be to reduce the height of the pic and to leave an empty transparent part on it, on top or on bottom or on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    You're shocked there's new badges despite the fact that the badge competition was advertised for months in big bold colours across the top of the forum?

<snip>
    Nice try, but I don't buy it.