Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Sticking to the definition of that word, it doesn't mean "only" in its current use. If you want to clarify this, then the sentence in the Constitution has to be corrected accordingly.
    Those definitions didn't really clarify the use of 'any' in our situation. I think in our context the most logical understanding is that 'any citizen' means 'only citizens' because it specifically states 'citizens'. A statement such as 'any MP may propose a bill in Parliament' would hardly mean that anyone can propose a bill. If the intention of the Overhaul was to also allow non-citizens to make proposals that's fine, but that's not what is permitted at the moment.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    Now I know why he likes to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    @Lifth
    We have another one
    you guys, you should stop disclosing what we do in private for amusement , you know??
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Oh no, have we breached Staff nda? Oh no, do we have to be punsihed? The whip Flinn? Oh noooo
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Those definitions didn't really clarify the use of 'any' in our situation. I think in our context the most logical understanding is that 'any citizen' means 'only citizens' because it specifically states 'citizens'. A statement such as 'any MP may propose a bill in Parliament' would hardly mean that anyone can propose a bill. If the intention of the Overhaul was to also allow non-citizens to make proposals that's fine, but that's not what is permitted at the moment.
    The logical understanding of a statement about "any citizen" is that it does not make any statement about non-citizens. Neither does it explicitly permit nor forbid them to do anything, hence why in the light of the spirit of the recent amendment we should clarify that any full member may table a resolution in the Proth.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

If we are going to ignore the language of the Constitution then what is the point. If you do not like it, then propose an amendment. As far as I am concerned, the "66" did shake things up (while ignoring the "White Elephant"), so the spirit is already there.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Who complained about a non-citizen posting a proposal in the Prot? Seems logical that it should be that person to propose an amendement
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

The whole point of opening the Prothalamos was that non-citizens can table proposals and participate in proposal discussions.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

I made a post about this here.

I essentially agree with Katsumoto, his example about parliament is a good one. You can't interpret that line in any other way than that it only allows for citizens to post proposals. The wording "may" is simply an alternative to a "should" or "must." It may be within the intent and spirit of the overhaul amendment to open the Prothalmos to allow proposals by non-citizens, but I feel like this is a much bigger change then simply allowing posting for discussion/commentary and needs to be explicitly voted on rather than slipping it in.

I'm neither for or against this at the moment. I will say I do not want to close a non-citizen thread as invalid, so I will ask non-citizens to hold off on making a proposal until we can get an amendment to clarify this.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I've never liked disagreeing with you boss but this is extremely daft. You can comment but you can't start threads? WTF? That makes as much sense as a drunk rhino on the interstate? Seriously, who among the people who voted yes even thought of that interpretation? Please raise your hand anybody who did think like that.

And just what does it matter who posts a proposal as long as it needs 3 citizen support to go a vote and only citizens will vote on it?

Not to mention that it goes explicitly against what GED said so many times about everybody who access to a sub-forum being allowed to use every feature they have access to.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; March 08, 2019 at 11:58 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    I will say I do not want to close a non-citizen thread as invalid, so I will ask non-citizens to hold off on making a proposal until we can get an amendment to clarify this.
    I think such an amendment could include something of what GED posted here.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    I've never liked disagreeing with you boss but this is extremely daft. You can comment but you can't start threads? WTF? That makes as much sense as a drunk rhino on the interstate? Seriously, who among the people who voted yes even thought of that interpretation? Please raise your hand anybody who did think like that.

And just what does it matter who posts a proposal as long as it needs 3 citizen support to go a vote and only citizens will vote on it?

Not to mention that it goes explicitly against what GED said so many times about everybody who access to a sub-forum being allowed to use every feature they have access to.
    I think this is more of a circumstance I did not necessarily notice would be an issue after the passing of the overhaul proposal. It's something that just needs rewording/clarification to achieve the desired intent without muddying the waters about it. I would definitely want non citizens to be able to and welcome in creating threads in the Proth, though thought needs to be given to any special circumstances and just the wording of the constitution in general on the matter. It's an unfortunate letter-of-the-law versus spirit-of-the-law circumstance, but should be addressed nonetheless. There's no need to blow it out of proportion one direction or the other though.

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post

I thought it was just to allow peregrinii to comment directly to proposals. Radical move as is. As far as I am concerned, being able to comment directly but not make actual proposals may be an enticement for interest in citizenship This is actually a blessing in disguise.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I thought it was just to allow peregrinii to comment directly to proposals. Radical move as is. As far as I am concerned, being able to comment directly but not make actual proposals may be an enticement for interest in citizenship This is actually a blessing in disguise.
    Or just another reason to not even bother participating for non citizens.

In any case not something you or I or any citizen can really speculate on. All I can say is the intent of what I think to be best is to allow some degree of non citizens being able to make proposals.

I had opposed the amendment for reasons already expounded on. Based on that, It is not my responsibility to amend the Constitution for you or suspend my reading skills and by assuming your intent. I assume those in favor would have made all of the necessary changes. Your oversight is not my problem. As it is right now, Perengrinii cannot propose. If you want that to be the case, then you need to do what Steathfox did and make an amendment to do just that. It is not to convince everyone to ignore the wording of the Constitution.

I prefer it changed so that there is no room for excuses.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I had opposed the amendment for reasons already expounded on. Based on that, It is not my responsibility to amend the Constitution for you or suspend my reading skills and by assuming your intent. I assume those in favor would have made all of the necessary changes. Your oversight is not my problem. As it is right now, Perengrinii cannot propose. If you want that to be the case, then you need to do what Steathfox did and make an amendment to do just that. It is not to convince everyone to ignore the wording of the Constitution.

I prefer it changed so that there is no room for excuses.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Hey these new badges look great.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Yep, Squid finished uploading them not long ago. He did say it might take some time before they all show up in the system. So don't panic yet if your's isn't showing, give it some time first.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

I noticed Seether and Pikestance have broken image links of their Artifex badges for me, not sure why.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

The new badges look nice, but because they use the entire space (no overlapping images), there isn't a nice "gap" with the user titles, so it looks very busy and the user title is squeezed between two images. I wonder if it possible to increase the spacing.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

That will be wizard territory - nothing in the control panel.