Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Bugs, issues and installation problems thread.

Default Re: Bugs, issues and installation problems thread.

Hi Quetzacoatl

I've downloaded Sparta total war (last version) and installed it on a clean vanilla folder (Rome total war Gold Edition with Rome in 1.5 and BI in 1.6).
    I started playing as Sparta (of course) and I realised that during a battle loading (Sparta vs Athens or Corinths), the loading just stops and then it never gets to the end. So I have to stop my computer and restart again. it just happens sometimes, not everytime.
    But it seems to happen after a large armies battle, (defending Corinth against Athenian army, I attacked the alone Athenian Leader with my army and it never loaded.), the music works and then it stops and I can never go the the battlefield.
    Is there a fix for this? Or an issue?`

Kind regards
    Last edited by Valaraukar; December 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM.

Valaraukar

Make sure your shortcut looks like this [below] at the end; that way it will tell you what error has occurred [it must have the affix; -show_err ] …

….The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:Sparta

Run the game with this and then tell me the error after hitting alt + tab…

You shouldn’t have to restart your machine, just hit alt + tab on your keyboard and it will take you out of the application, or ctrl alt del to stop the program running.

Until I know what the error is I cant help, but we get this a lot and it is nearly always an installation problem, especially if you installed on a vista or win7 machine without turning off the UAC, you will also need to copy rome to a location that is not in your programs folder e.g. your documents and install Sparta there. Then make sure your shortcut is aiming at this new location and has the above line in it.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Hi Quetzacoatl, I finally found the problem.
    It was not a problem from the machine (I play on Windows XP) but the installer you can download on the download page. I realized that the first one was lighter than the other one.
    So I downloaded the heaviest installer for Sparta 3.5 and installed it on a clean vanilla folder...it works perfect now... seems like the other installer is creating conflicts or something... you should take a look at it...
    Again, thanks for the reply, still impressive to have a quick reply in an old thread

kind regards

@ Quetzalcoatl

Ah I see it’s the interface files I forgot to change. I have swapped them over ~ see the attachment for a zip with the two relevant files in. just copy the two images and paste them here…

…Rome - Total War\SPARTA\Data\UI\ROMAN\INTERFACE

Tell me if that works ok and I will post them on the release thread.
    thanks!

That did it mate!

She's all fixed now!

Thanks
    Last edited by Bwisher; December 17, 2010 at 08:51 PM.

It was not a problem from the machine (I play on Windows XP) but the installer you can download on the download page. I realized that the first one was lighter than the other one.
    So I downloaded the heaviest installer for Sparta 3.5 and installed it on a clean vanilla folder...it works perfect now... seems like the other installer is creating conflicts or something... you should take a look at it...
    Again, thanks for the reply, still impressive to have a quick reply in an old thread
    Glad you got it sorted, yes some people seam to get problems with that installer, but sometimes it’s the other way around, thanks for the info though.

I am usually here daily so I don’t mind helping out, and the mod is still getting loads of downloads every week so as long as it does I will help people get it up and running.

She's all fixed now!
    Ah good, I will post that zip on the release thread then, thanks.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

I download it and try to start the game, i get the error: cant start because mss32.dll is missing this problem can solve itself if you re download it, ive tried it many times but it still wont work, get the same error for the megas alexandros mod

Hi love the mod but i have a problem i took your advice and switched the files to fixed the symbol problem between SPQR and the Magna Crecia and it worked but now sparta and macedon have the same sheild as they did before first they were both sparta and now their both macedon, also some of the factions are in lower case

Mag96sor

There is no missing .dll you just havent installed it correctly, or havent put the correct target line into your shortcut. Read the op, install thread and previous posts to resolve this.

twrocks

We all get Sparta using the same symbol as macedon, I have tried swapping it and then the two factions just use the same swapped symbol. I don’t get why it does that its just one of those problems one sometimes gets with modfoldered mods ~ this is why some modders don’t make their mods modfoldered.

twrocks

We all get Sparta using the same symbol as macedon, I have tried swapping it and then the two factions just use the same swapped symbol. I don’t get why it does that its just one of those problems one sometimes gets with modfoldered mods ~ this is why some modders don’t make their mods modfoldered.[/QUOTE]

Thats weird but what about the problem with the lower case factions

Thats weird but what about the problem with the lower case factions
    Whats the problem?

Essentially I think such problems derive from this being a mod mainly of graphical change, that’s how we made it so quick with a small team. Mods like e.g. rtr, rs massively change everything and internally too, so the game has to respond to all that. With this mod we changed the faction names but not internally so maybe the game gets confused. I really don’t know.

Icon9 Re: Bugs, issues and installation problems thread.

I was playing and usually, without fail, when I'm in the middle of a battle or while its loading i get a crash to desktop. I've reinstalled it several times. My RTW version is 1.5 and my BI is 1.4....... any help?????

Do you have show_err in the target line of your shortcut? Because that would give a message on what’s wrong.
    Also perhaps upgrade to 1.6 as that’s the build I used when making the mod.

All these things have been instillation problems before and have been resolved for those individuals experiencing them, I’d suggest reading back a few posts to see how we did it, and you’ll find the info you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    Whats the problem?

Essentially I think such problems derive from this being a mod mainly of graphical change, that’s how we made it so quick with a small team. Mods like e.g. rtr, rs massively change everything and internally too, so the game has to respond to all that. With this mod we changed the faction names but not internally so maybe the game gets confused. I really don’t know.
    its just that sparta and crete factions are displayed in lower case instead so of Sparta and Crete its sparta and crete

its just that sparta and crete factions are displayed in lower case instead so of Sparta and Crete its sparta and crete
    I made a correction to this where upper case variations are made, its on the op of the release thread [I think]. If not then let me know and I’ll make a corrected version of the text file.

edit; hang on i am making it
    Last edited by Amorphos; February 24, 2011 at 06:47 PM.

I made a correction to this where upper case variations are made, its on the op of the release thread [I think]. If not then let me know and I’ll make a corrected version of the text file.
    i already downloaded all of the files and it either didnt work or it wasnt there

Here’s the corrected expanded text, just drop it into the text folder and replace the original.

let me know if this sorts it out, i think it should.

Here’s the corrected expanded text, just drop it into the text folder and replace the original.

let me know if this sorts it out, i think it should.
    it didnt work but luckily i managed to find what the problem was and it wasn't the expanded text but the expanded_bi folder that needed to be edited heres what i did (SEE ATTACHMENT)
    by the way let me know when you find out whats wrong with the shield problem, Thanks
    Last edited by twrocks; February 24, 2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: solved the problem

Hi all,
    Ive been playing this mod for a couple of weeks and it is as simple as its very nice. Without having to report a bug, i would like to ask a few things.
    How can i edit deccr.strat. I unmade the folders from being read ony, but stll i cannot save the file with the name descr.strat.
    Is it possible to add the s1_hoplite animation either by an add on, or to the next version of the mod , as i believe it would benefit gameplay.

Also, exactly how many units can be added in mub?
    Thanks

hi athenean21

I do believe that and loads of other anims are already installed in the mod, you simply need to add them in the DMB for what unit you want. Some of the anims need the ‘shield wall’ formation in RTW_BI, so you will need to run the game in that.

If your install is in the programs folder and you are using vista or win7, then you will need to turn off UAC in control panel/user accounts, and then you will be able to make edits to the files. It is far better to copy the entire install to a location outside of your programs folder, as then the files wont be virtual.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Installing RTW somewhere other than Program Files is the best option, IMO (I'm an Internet security nut, so turning off UAC is pretty much "against Spartan law" for me ), but another option with the file security issue is this...

1. Left-click the the STW modfolder.
    2. Right-click on "properties".
    3. Go to the "security" tab.
    4. Click the "edit" button.
    5. Check all the empty "allow" boxes for whatever usergroups you want in the "permissions for users" section.
    6. Then finally click "apply" in the lower right corner and it should set all the files' permissions so you can edit them.