Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Cavalry units-some artwork before previews

EarendilElenthol's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Cavalry units-some artwork before previews

The bows you use, aren't they a bit long? I seem to recall that bows used for horse riding were less than 1m and yours are conspicuously close to 1m or more? What do the sources say?

the reconstructions based on archeological founds leads to thje following results: a "normal" magyar bow in the 9-10th century was 1260mm long in "armed" form.
    it was a very good experimetn , unfortunatly its in hungarian, but you can notice its very academic:
    http://www.hm.gov.hu/hirek/kiadvanyo...1legeza_laszlo

d.

Very good source! I tried to read it with Googletranslate and saw that you used the nerve length. That length is often longer than the bow, I know it form when I sought info on english longbows. It is sometimes used to strengthen the bow itself as well. I would think, from this article, that the bow length is twice the s3 (middle part) length and twice the 2s 1 (the horn end), because the bow is symmetrical and they give only halves. That gives twice 338 = 676 mm bow, which is more consistent with the figures that are perhaps based on the strength of a bow halve? At least this comes close to the length of nerve attached (676×2=1352, but the nerve has ends, dont know how that works with those old bows)

In the figures a line gives the newton related to the length of the bow and as you see the tests are from 0,0 to nearly 150 N with a bit over 400mm. All other tests were in this range, (the blocks on the line) which makes it unlikely to me that the bow was 1260mm, that being 3 times the range within the figures. In every figure the normal bow has about 200N at 500mm.

Again, the text is badly translated and I'm less than a amateur on this subject, but I feel that something doesn't fit in. I think that my idea's are not the right ones, but I can't underscribe your conclusions either. Do you have other sources?

(This is not meant as criticism, it is at least to improve my knowledge and hopefully your historical accuracy)

sure its the nerve length but this type of bows dont need to strengthen with the nerves,s if you remove a little part of it its about 1000 mm, which is quiet good.
    Also I remmeber the same measure ,when I used to shoot with bows.
    Anyways I will ask it precisly from the leader of the hungarian bow assotiation.

d.

I think that I read somewhere that Hungarian composite bow was a short one. Kill me, but I can't remember where I saw that... From the other hand the latest cavalry unit by Dome (which we discuss here) is not Hungaryan, but a Petcheng one.
    Last edited by Silesian_Noble; January 19, 2010 at 11:32 AM.

beautiful units again, dome! I tend to be a bit perfectionist and because of that: the knee parts of the lancer look a bit weird, as do the shoulders. Again, very good work. +rep

Amazing work as always! Cheers!

I feel releaved! You asked us to wait for the update so damn long, that I was really worried, especially because you are the number one in my private ranking of M2TW unit makers. But now I can see you are still with us and haven't forgot your profession Units are simply great, but you know I need to see them in action (in game screens) to say you smashed your competitors once again

Beautiful unit, even I do not have any remarks

hehe, yes
    it's very hard to modell the mediavel hungarian army. Not to much source (nearly nothing) ,but after the light cavalry it will be much much easier. The heavy cav's are prety well documentated, and I can use the forigner examples too.

EE you mentiond me that you need help with armours.

Yup, my encyclopedia is yet far from finished, and I miss quite some knowledge about east middle european stuff (hungary and poland). Would you mind checking it and see if you can find additions or mistakes? I have spent the last few weeks on rosters for germany and thousands of medieval deeds and letters to find correct names, so I do not know what parts exactly need change in the encyclopedia.

acsc2000's Avatar Libertus

simply amazing! really!
    +rep

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

After a loooong absence on these forums its fantastic to come back and see the extremely skilled work you have come up with Dome!. Really, these units are the most organic and detailed I have ever seen a modder of Total war come up with, and whats best is that they are Hungarian! These hussars really do justice to the importance the historical hussars had on Hungarian history. Your making a Hungarian army that does justice to this great nation mate!
    Great work Dome, and Csatadi!!!
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

thanx guys!

I've seen some excellent artwork, but these units of yours... they're downright lifelike!

wooow cant breathe awesome stuff

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli