CONSVLES
    PVBLIVS HERRENIVS BARBA /LVCIVS VALERIVS POPLICOLA

PRAETOR
    AVLVS FESTINIVS PROCVLVS

QVAESTOR
    HENIVS AEBUTIVS IOVINVS HICESIVS

TRIBVNVS PLEBIS
    LVSIVS OVIDIVS MARO
    Last edited by Raglan; December 15, 2009 at 03:32 PM.

Senator

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Barba/Poplicola

Consul Poplicola! When is the invasion of Macedonia? Or, maybe tell us about war plans in future,
    our great father? Caesar asks, clearly.

If anyone in the senate needs reminding or the quaestor wants to take a look here are the plans I came up with for Greece last term.

Here's the financial situation as of present:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As you can see, our upkeep for the army is very detrimental to what we need, especially given the size and makeup of our armies. To correct this I would propose setting a standard for our armies and creating two, incredibly powerful and full-strength armies for our consuls to command in case of conflict and maybe a smaller one for garisson duties that the Praetor would command if the situation does not warrant consular intervention. Now, back to Greece.

When I got there I noticed many problems concerning population. People are still being forced from the countryside to live in Apollonia via a growth initiave the Epeirotes passed during the war. The locals are still following it and it needs to stop. As of now, the population of Apollonia is 9396 people as of the last census, with an average growth rate of 9 for every 100 people in the city. By stopping the initiative, we get rid of 5 of that number.

I also motion that we replace the temple of Hermes in the city with the temple of Mercury instead of tearing down the shrine altogether. This way we already have a foundation to build on, the god is familiar to the city since Mercury performs the same role as Hermes did and we can introduce our culture into the city, making them happier. An added bonus is 46 denarii since it increases the religious fervor of traders and merchants.

Also, to combat the population and squalor problems, we should increase the taxes to their highest levels to dissuade more people from moving to the settlement, which will diminish the number of immigrants to 3 of every 100 people per half-year.

Ambracia already has a building being constructed and has a low public order so I say we let it finish.

This would be our economy afterward:

OOC: We should also use this command line when we edit the save:
    add_population -834 Rome
    That will simulate the events with Pallas.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Tribune Lepidus speaks

I would ask the Consuls to put my motion concerning the Censorship from the last term to a vote, if they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Put it to vote.

OOC: All yours Winter .

ooc: yeah, we should use that cheat .
    ic:

I would hesitate to modify the lifestyle of those people even more than it has already been disturbed by our very recent arrival to the region. Besides, why should we want to halt the growth of the population of the city? A larger city could provide greater income to us, plus we may need the larger population if we want to turn Apollonia into the gateway for trade between Italy and the East. As for the rest of the plan, I support it, especially as replacing their gods with ours will certainly help us in getting the gods' support on our future plans. We cannot allow to have people under our rule not worshipping the gods in the proper Roman way.

I would also like to remind the Senate that we should start sending diplomats to the Carthaginians to settle a peace agreement as soon as possible...

That growth initiative pulls people off their farms to the city, so Epeiros was already infringing on their lifestyle.

I will accept the benefits if the taxes they would ensure us though, so I'm fine either way it comes out. It was an astute observation that I didn't notice from the point of view I saw it in.

Senator

We need to make peace with Carthage! This gives us a good trade.
    Why we need to be in war with them?

EDITED by Raglan - We don't know the future
    Last edited by Raglan; December 15, 2009 at 02:03 PM.

A note is nailed to the Senate door:

Conscript Father's and all who may attend,
    At the point where the sun reaches its zenith the trial of Senator Marcus Longinius Caesar shall commence. The accused faces the charge of murder of citizen Drusus Pomponius Herminius.
    All Senators and Citizens are welcome to see justice dispensed.

Praetor Aulus Festinius Proculus
    Last edited by Crozimodo; December 15, 2009 at 02:12 PM.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Senators, I thank you for your patience while i compiled my report, though i note that the Pontifex Maximus hasn't made his sacrificies for the term yet (hint Ozy). i also thank Senator Valerius for reminding us of his own reacent plans. Though as you will see have my own opinions as to the best direction for Rome.

First of all Senators, the current reports for Rome and her territories.

As you can see, Rome is not actually to badly off. She earns a steady income and has some reserves in the coffers. Ofcourse it would be good to increase this, but at the moment there is nothing dire.

As you all know rome is still recovering from the war, and the money in our coffers has mainly come from that same war. As such i have decided that a focus on Rome and her immediate surrondings is desireable. After all, why fight if not for Romes betterment.

And with this in mind, i propose the following building plan

For Rome herself, i suggest a Pro-Consuls palace, it would increase the effiency of the State in Rome, and give us a magnificant piece of architecture. A visiable monument to our sacrifice being worth it. This will cost by all estimates 6,840 denari.

Then for the surronding countryside and cities, especially for Asculum, Capua, and Apulania, i believe developing our farmlands is of much worth, it has a two fold beniefit, it will increase our own produce, earning more in taxes and improving the lives of those who live in the area, and it will decrease Romes reliance on Egyptian grain, saving Rome money as well. This development will cost 2,800 denari in each area

I noticed when examining the reports from Neopolis that they have no road structure of any sort, not even permant dirt paths. This for a city so close to Rome i consider a travesty. And thus i propose building a road network for the area. It will much help trade coming from the south, something i know the Senators here will approve of once they learn that olives and wine will be of better quality and cheaper because of it. This investment will cost 7,000 denari, and although may not see an immediate return, will have many long term beniefits, not least those olives i just mentioned.

When looking at Cannae, the city that has so reacently joined our State, i discovered that while the city is reasonably well developed and needs no real investment at this time, the taxes they pay are quite small. Certainly they pay a lower rate than Rome. Thus i would suggest bringing their tax rate in line with the rest of Italy.

And speaking of taxes, in Croton, i discovered that they are currently paying far higher taxes than anywhere else, something that the locals are beginning to complain about, and i certainly empahise with. I would lower their taxes a little and again bring them into line with the rest of our lands.

Croton i also discovered was unfortuantly devistated during the war. They currently have NO places of worship, this is something that i'm sure the Pontifex will despare of, and so i would propose raising a shrine there. I personally favour Juno, but will leave the exact God up to the Pontifex. This shrine will cost 2,000 denari.

Finally my last proposal, is for Tarentum, this area was reacently discovered to have silver in its hills, and so building a mine would take advantage of this resource and add much to our coffers. This small investment would cost 2,000 denari.

I looked over Greece, and what we own there. All but one settlement had ongoing building work, so i saw little ned to invest there. I also believe that investing in Rome should come first, and thus my report is aimed at Rome and her prosperity.

here is the final cost of my suggestions

as you can see, this quarter will be a negative one, however the improvements i suggest have real long term value, and Rome will have begun to recover from this expense by the next election, a small period of spending for definate value.

Senators, i hand the floor over to your quiries and debate.

You talk of all these plans for ROME's benefit, yet what are all these plans for?

Croton
    Tarentum
    Cannae

Last I checked, these were our enemies not long ago and barbarian and Greek settlements, not Roman, not yet, most of all those Calabrian meat sacks. If you want to call them Roman citizens then you have to motion a vote to give them citizenship if they want it.

I proposed one temple be built. 4,000 Denarii is not that much money compared to the support we would gain from the people and the tax income from the miners.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

I'm sorry Senator, i'm not fully sure i understand your complaints. you ask that i build a temple, which is exactly what i propose in Croton. The income from the mines will be siezeable and directly beniefit Rome, and you say i should punish Cannae. I am suggesting increasing their taxes. Short of open torture, i fail to understand your complaint

The temple in Apollonia, why not build that one as well?

My only problem is with all of this money laying around that we aren't using, and that you said that you were going to build things in Rome instead of Greece, yet you are building other things in southern Greek Italy instead.

Unless you see a problem with helping ease the act of culture differences for which we are suffering from massively in Apollonia? Which is the largest of the Greek states that we conquered.
    Last edited by dragoon47; December 15, 2009 at 02:57 PM.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

because i believed that some reserves are a good idea. if i build a temple in the south of Italy i do not have enough funds to build one in appolonia.

2,000 in reserve isn't actually that much. And to build your temple we would need 4,000 or sacrifice one of my proposals.

I also, speaking as the most Greek person in here, believe it to be a bad idea to build a temple of Roman Gods in Appolonia. You argue that they are simular, but not perhaps in the eyes of those that worship the God being replaced. It would be a rallying point for rebellion. I know the Greek mind, and they will not care much if it is us that collects the taxes rather than their former King. But to interfere in their culture....

Fine, we'll see if Apollonia stays under Roman rule without trouble first then. Sorry, it's this business with the recent trial coming up, it has me on edge and I'm sorry if I offended you, I used fairly strong words, fairly ignorant ones as well. I ask for your forgiveness.

Why apologize for speaking what is right? I see no suggestion for Rome when I'm sure projects could be initiated. I highly doubt that our own city's needs have been completely met already. Present us with a list of possible construction works and then we'll decide if your words about strengthening the Greek side of our Republic because of a lack of need in Rome herself is true.

Glancing at Aebutius, Atreus muttered

μετά από όλα, ένας άνθρωπος σε άπταιστα ελληνικά είναι ένα δεν είναι τόσο εύκολα αξιόπιστο. (after all, a man so fluent in Greek is one not so easily trusted.)

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Quote Originally Posted by Raglan View Post
    because i believed that some reserves are a good idea. if i build a temple in the south of Italy i do not have enough funds to build one in appolonia.

2,000 in reserve isn't actually that much. And to build your temple we would need 4,000 or sacrifice one of my proposals.

I also, speaking as the most Greek person in here, believe it to be a bad idea to build a temple of Roman Gods in Appolonia. You argue that they are simular, but not perhaps in the eyes of those that worship the God being replaced. It would be a rallying point for rebellion. I know the Greek mind, and they will not care much if it is us that collects the taxes rather than their former King. But to interfere in their culture....

Claudius stands up.

What is this nonsense we are Romans Romans shall be living in that city soon enough where are they to pray to the gods? Humm I agree we must accomidate the natives beliefs but not at the expense of our own. We should show the true devotion to the gods and they will grant us good fortune and tidings. This is the true course of action show these greeks the might of Rome and the virture of our ways and they will become loyal. We should Romanise these greeks and not be Greekified ourselves. That is what Rome stands for.
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

A messenger entered the Curia,

"Senators of Rome! I bring news from the South, from the port of Apullia! Weeks ago, an unknown ship was spotted sailing the waters of the Adriatic, and reached the port not much later. The ship was followed by a small fleet which did not dare approach the coast, and remained anchored just outside of the port's waters, leaving the main vessel to enter the port alone. Travelling in it, we found, to our surprise, none other than the King of Epidmanos. His people spoke of an attack, of usurpers from the North, of someone taking his kingdom. Here is a letter, written by him, Ermias, King of Epidamnos.

The messenger pulled out a scroll, and began to read out loud,

Elders of the Senate of Rome,

I write to you as an ally, and wishing the great Roma all the good in this world. Romans, we, the free Epirotes, the ones who fought Pyrrhus from before you fought them, come to you asking for a hand, in the same way we once aided your great General Celsus, the Conqueror of Epirus, the man who slained the tyrant Pyrrhus twice. In the harder days of his campaign, we sent aid to his cause, reinforcing his lines with 4000 of our best hoplites, who fought side by side with him during the siege of Ambracia.

Now, Romans, your former ally begs for your help against usurpers who wish to take my throne. I, the rightful King of Epidmanos, have been attacked, my kingdom has been taken from me by the barbarians of the North, the Scordisci tribes, by their leader named Longarus. He has invaded my land and forced me to become an exile, and to leave to the safe and friendly harbors of Italy.

Today, Romans, all I wish is to ask the aid of Rome to retake what is rightfully mine. Needless to say, you shall always find in me the ally you did with your war with Epirus, something that the Socrdisci will never give you, as their allegiances lay with the Macedonians.

Help us, Romans, as we once helped you all!

Ermias, rightful ruler of the city of Epidmanos

They think that we should ally with them to fight against the Macedonians? Are these people mad?! Senators, the agreement forged between us and them exists between only this exiled prince and Celsus, who conveniently fled the City. For all intents and purposes, these agreements do not exist. No Senatorial approval graced these treaties and thus they are not valid. I find it ridiculous to even think of allying ourselves with these Greeks. Might I suggest a better solution?

Since this prince, this Ermias, is the sole ruler of his exiled government, his removal would prompt a power vacuum that others will attempt to fill. Let us capitalize upon the Greek's willingness to fight amongst themselves. I propose that we send a single man to do what is normally assigned to a hundred armies. Let a single man send this Ermias screaming to Pluto and then watch these Greeks fight themselves to death, forgetting any mentions of a treaty between our two nations.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Tiberius Claudius Drusus stands

Senatores, this morning when I took my breakfast, an eagle perched upon the head of the statue of Mars. In its claws the lifeless body of a serpent dangled. The signs were clear as day. The gods desire a swift end to this war. The Macedonians will break like water on rock when they face the solid might of the legions. These men fight like a tortoise fights- defensively. The legions shall strike with ferocity and efficiency until the tortoise, bleeding and beaten, will skulk back into the muddy hole from whence it came.

For as much as the gods would have their worship and sacrifice, it is clear that they would be more honored by a roman victory against the hellenes. Let us stall the construction of the temples and use the money to fund the army. Once a swift end is brought to this Macedonian regent, the plunder shall be used to erect monuments in humble thanks to the gods for their aid in the wars. We must be god fearing, yes, but we must also be practical.

The legions are already there...why not use them? Let us strike the enemy before they can strike us.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; December 17, 2009 at 09:07 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast