Thread: "Liberation"-a Roman AAR

Default "Liberation"-a Roman AAR

Having read a fair amount of AARs based around XGM, I thought I would try my hand at it. I will focus more on the story-telling side than simply telling it as it is, but I do intend to go into detail about the battles. I have-in my own eyes-a fairly mediocre skill at story-writing, but I'll give it a shot and see how it comes out.
    I didn't particularly want to start an AAR at the beginning, as it has already been done countless times, and everyone knows more or less how it goes. So instead, I have let the campaign run for a while, in an attempt to get a more unique setting.
    So anyway, without further ado, here's the first part:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Caius Tiberius stood at the head of the procession. Beside him, holding his hand was Valerius’ son Marcellus, only six years old. Behind them both, several slaves-under strict orders to appear aggrieved-carried Valerius Brutus on an ornate throne, his milky, dead eyes staring into nothingness.
    The procession passed through the streets, past the column of Decius Mus, hero of the Pyrrhic war and into the central plaza, where the crowd awaited them. The funeral pyre lay at the centre on a raised platform for all to see.
    As the procession trailed past the rows of people, many of them cast flowers on their path as a mark of respect for the hero of the Punic War.
    The procession reached the pyre and came to a halt. Caius stepped to the side with little Marcellus and the slaves carried the throne up to the top of pyre. The priests of Jupiter, Saturn, Apollo and Mars all said their little speeches, praising the dead man for all he had done, and mourning the fact that he would not live to see his dream fulfilled. With all that said, the four priests took a torch each and set the pyre alight, allowing the flames to consume the man who had done so much in the short time in which he had taken power.
    After the crowds had dispersed, Caius immediately went to the palace. Waiting there were his most trusted advisers, Quintis Petronius and Spurius Luculius. They went up to Caius’ private quarters, where a map of the western Mediterranean lay on a table. Various markers were scattered around it, representing the locations of Rome’s various armies, cities and territories.

“Right,” said Caius. “We need to act fast. I cannot afford to stay here another day, I have to get back to my army in North Africa. And of course, we will need someone to take over Valerius’ army.
    “I always told Tiberius that we should just take Carthage itself and be done with it, but he was always adamant that it would be more proper to take their capital last, despite the many strategic inconveniences this was causing us. But I am not Tiberius. I say we take Carthage at the earliest opportunity. This war has gone on far, far longer than anticipated.
    “However, the Carthaginians will not simply let us take their precious capital with a fight, and for that reason I shall take my army and Tiberius’ old army back to Lilybaeum to gather more men. Only then will we be fully capable of taking the city.”

9 Months later:
    Caius was sat in his chair in Lilybaeum when the messenger arrived. There was a knock on his door and one of his bodyguard entered the room.
    “Someone to see you sir.”
    “Thank you, Lucius,” he turned to the messenger: “Yes? What is it?”
    “A message to you, sir. From Hadrumetum.”
    Caius took the papyrus scroll and began to read:
    “Greetings, Caius Tiberius, Commander of the 1st Legion of the Republic of Rome.
    For far too long, Rome has occupied the city of Hadrumetum. We have suffered greatly under your rule, but until recently, we at least kept our culture and our ways intact.
    But now, you ask too much of us. You have sent your Roman administrators, your Roman priests, your Roman architects with the express intention of obliterating our heritage, ways and culture. We have seen it happen to Corsica and Sardinia, but we of Hadrumetum will stand for none of it. As you read this, your soldiers in our beloved city have been forced out. Never again will you taint our city with your foul, inferior Roman ways. We have organised a levy, and soon we will begin our reclamation of our rightful, ancestral lands.
    Tell me, Roman. Have you ever fought an elephant?
    Yours faithfully,
    Himal Amilkas.”

“Do you wish to send a reply, sir?” asked the messenger.
    Caius thought for a moment.
    “No, I don’t think so,” he replied. “Rather, I wish you to send a message to Captain Marcus, the commander of the Hadrumetum garrison. Tell him to stand his ground where he is. Tell him he may only retreat to our other African holdings if the elephants in the levy army are killed.”

Sure enough, the Carthaginians came out of Hadrumetum and attacked the ex-garrison army. There was no real way to win the battle, as the garrison had never been particularly well-trained, and consisted entirely of Vigiles and skirmishers, as they were considered the cheapest. No one had ever expected such a backlash from the colonisation programme.
    Captain Marcus stood in the front line of the formation, in amongst the skirmishers. They would be essential in the battle about to take place.

To the far right of the army, in a small wood, an additional unit of skirmishers lay in wait, on the same flank as the Carthaginian elephants.

The idea was to use the Vigiles and general as bait, luring the Carthaginian army forwards whilst the skirmishers took down the elephants.

The opening moves in the battle consisted of a flank attack, by the Numidian cavalry. This was repelled, and the cavalry were routed.

As the battle wore on, the Vigiles routed, but there was still an elephant left alive. This was killed by what was left of the skirmishers. The objective had been fulfilled, but the Roman army was defeated.

[Author’s note: there should have been more pictures than that, and I certainly took more, but for whatever reason, they appear to be missing from my PC. However, the other battles so far recorded (to be posted in the next update, which I am writing) do have plenty of pictures displaying key moments in the battles]

If you feel like leaving feedback, make sure you are critical. The more criticism I get, the better the next update will be.

Default Re: "Liberation"-a Roman AAR

I probably think myself a worse writer than yourself, which is why I haven't started an AAR for my current project. So, no complaints from me. Eagerly awaiting the next installment.

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

This sounds like it could be very interesting - I'll keep reading. And good luck killing those carthagenians!

Update 2 is here. I should point out that I did also take Mediolanum from the indie Gauls, but it was such a dull, repetitive battle that I didn't consider it worthy of being written up, especially since it has very little to do with the characters I intend to be following in this AAR.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The news of the “victory” near Hadrumetum came at a bad time. Ordinarily, Caius would have been delighted to hear of the elephants’ destruction, but the day before, he had received news of the bad sort. The Gallic wars had come to and end, but Rome’s allies had not come out on top.

On the other hand, reinforcements for the African campaign would be arriving in the next few days, allowing the capture of Carthage to become a very real possibility. But first, there was a Carthaginian fort that needed taking care of…

After the fall of Hadrumetum, two forts that had effectively bee blocking Carthage from getting armies out were besieged. Though they had lasted a fair while, they had both been forced to surrender. No Roman forces were able to help, as they were all tied up with Hadrumetum or else were too weakened by losses to be of any use. As a result, the forts had been abandoned and the men inside forgotten.
    Aulus Nigidus, appointed commander of Valerius’ old army was given the order to take the forts. They were only lightly defended, and should be able to be taken with relatively few casualties. More to the point, they could be taken on the spot, with the help of the onagers he had acquired with the Lilybaeum reinforcements.

Aulus Nigidus and his army arrived at the fort about two hours before noon. His scouts had reported that the enemy was aware of their presence and was barricading themselves inside.
    Aulus lost no time in ordering his onagers to move within striking range. Once this was done, he immediately gave the order to begin bombarding the enemy barricades.

It was not long before the enemy gates and walls were broken. Aulus decided that only the Hastati would be necessary for the assault, and ordered them to take up positions in preparation for the assault. In the meantime, however, he ordered an artillery barrage against the troops inside.

On having delivered what casualties his artillery and archers could, Aulus ordered the assault to commence. Two centuries would go through each breach in the fort wall, while a single century would enter through the main gate and head for the centre.

What follows is a soldier’s account of the assault, presented to Aulus Nigidus after the battle:

“My unit was ordered to move through the front gate and head for the centre, the initial plan being to engage the Libyan Spearmen at the centre whilst the two units to the right would go around a group of tents and hit their flanks. If we had stuck to our original orders, we may have faced a lot more casualties, at least in my own unit.
    “We ran through as fast as we could, giving the enemy no time to get much of a defence up. Straight ahead, perhaps 100 cubits away, stood the Libyans. Being in the third row, I had very little idea of what was going on, but I was told afterwards that the men in the northernmost breach hit trouble almost instantly in the form of a unit of Carthaginian militia.

“The highly-trained hastati could probably have held out relatively easily against such inferior foes, had it not been for the enemy general ordering the cavalry-under his personal command- to attack the men pouring into the breach. Our centurion spotted this and ordered that we change our plan and hit the flank of the enemy there.

“I hurled my Pilum and charged with the others. One militiaman was knocked down by the force of the charge. He survived-only to try and get up directly in front of me. I placed my foot on his spear and thrust my sword into his throat.
    “Having dispatched him, I looked around, to check for any enemies around me. There were none, as the main fighting was taking place a few metres away. I did, however, catch sight of a man on horseback dressed far more elaborately than the others. Even as I looked on, however, a gladius thrust upwards into his ribcage, whilst another blade slashed his horse’s belly, sending it crashing to the floor.

“On seeing their general’s death, the other men began to pull back to make a last stand in the centre of the fort. We cut down all the fleeing cavalry, but a few Militiamen made it away from the fighting, making it into the centre.
    “At first we gave chase, intending to cut them down with ease. But then we spotted that the units intended to flank the Libyans had in fact engaged in a frontal assault amongst the tents. We raced through the centre, paying little heed to the survivors left there-they could be dealt with later. All that mattered was relieving those hastati.

“Almost at once, the Libyans broke and ran. However, seeing that there was nowhere to go, they instead chose to stand their ground and take as many of us with them as possible.

“Before long, the last Carthaginian was dead and we were all yelling thanks to Mars that we had taken the fort with so little losses on our side.

-So ends the account of the battle as told by Hastatus Magnus Virga.

Next update: the siege of Carthage!

gaius_caesar's Avatar Decanus

Damn that was epic!

Thank you very much!
    I will try to keep a pace of about 1 update a week, although christmas and coursework may delay some future updates.

By the way, I have noticed I have received 3 "Reputation" points for this AAR. Many thanks to those who gave them, it is encouraging to get positive feedback.
    Last edited by nasher168; December 18, 2009 at 12:21 PM.

lol

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

How about we try not to post in threads that havent been used this year.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

who gives a ?