Thread: Dirty Units

Casper the Ghost's Avatar Foederatus

Default Dirty Units

I feel a little bad for asking this and I hope you won't be offended. When the battle is loading before the deployment screen I see a load of clean units; and when I go to deploy them, they load an overlaid dirt texture that makes them look very dark ages.
    Is it to possible to disable this in one of the mod files on my system? as I find it very hard to visually distinguish the units from one another once they are all brown and it seems to cause a noticeable slowdown on my graphics card (nvidia 9600 - compared to other total conversion mods such as Third Age).

Default Re: Dirty Units

I've found the units get dirty over the course of the battle, the more they're running around, the dirtier they get. This might be due to having everything on the highests settings, but better let the devs make a call on that.
    Therefore, I conclude, that Valve should announce Half Life 2 Episode 3.

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Casper the Ghost View Post
    I feel a little bad for asking this and I hope you won't be offended. When the battle is loading before the deployment screen I see a load of clean units; and when I go to deploy them, they load an overlaid dirt texture that makes them look very dark ages.
    Is it to possible to disable this in one of the mod files on my system? as I find it very hard to visually distinguish the units from one another once they are all brown and it seems to cause a noticeable slowdown on my graphics card (nvidia 9600 - compared to other total conversion mods such as Third Age).

The files that effect the dirt and blood in the mod can be found in this folder ---

C:\Medieval II Total War\mods\IB2\data\overlaytextures

These are files from dirt and blood mod of
    Crimson Tide (Marku)

I believe if you remove the files from this folder you will default to the original dirt and blood files from creative assembly. I have not tried it yet but you could just rename this one folder, overlaytextures to overlaytextures2, and then run the mod and see what happens.

Maybe someone else has tried this already.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Casper the Ghost's Avatar Foederatus

Thanks midnite, that seemed to work great. I renamed the folder and it loads perfectly using the original overlays, which seems to help my computer on a bit. The only thing is that they still appear in the deployment phase before the units move around and have a chance to get dirty. Is there a setting that controls how long it takes for dirt to appear?

for some reason mounted units seem to get dirty much faster than infantry, at least with my installation. this make taking in-game screenshots a real pain. that is why i use the files attached bellow. they should remove grit all together, which some might find somewhat boring...

Ive done all this.... but it dosnt work.... I want to get rid of the dirt all together.... HOW? xD