Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: The Civil War - Priviews and infos.....(Last updated 28/01/2011)

Default Re: American Civil War.....(Last updated 11/12/2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Megahurt View Post
    Downloaded the ACW campaign and the fix, extracted it all to the data folder as required and no campaign. I go to single player and select Grand Campaign as stated above and all i get is the brittish available in 1783. No other playable factions.
    What am i doing wrong? Please help.
    You don't do anything wrong so the problem must be some other mod file(s) that have remained in your directory and you have to remove them. Especially mod files of the type "movie" are not shown in Mod Manager since the don't need activation (as the ACW pack files) so check carefully your data folder.

Also check to be sure that there is a folder named ACW in data/campaigns and in there is startpos.esf among other files. If everything seems o.k. re-download the mod in case of a corrupted download.

I installed the mod and played the custom battles but when i try to load the campaign the game crashes in the middle of loading, what did i do wrong?
    "This is mankind’s dream, mankind’s desire, mankind’s destiny! To be the strongest, to go the farthest, to climb the highest. To compete, to envy, to hate each other, and devour one another!" - Rau Le Cruset

Darkpriest667's Avatar Campidoctor

Ok ... first off I LOVE this mod...

I loaded a campaign up and of course played as the confederates....

I've noticed a few things I wanted to ask about....

1. There is a missionary in south carolina or georgia a protestant.. that is yours.. but cant move and isnt on the agent list....

2. You cant build churches to recruit more missionaries... you oddly start with some catholic churches... but that doesnt do you much good if you are a protestant country

3. For some reason the Confederacy starts at war with Spain.. Although interesting... not accurate...

4. Although I love the "southern cross" flag that you have given the CSA its also wrong... The Southern Cross wasnt used until 1863. The original flag of the confederacy was the stars and bars.

I really like the mod.... The other thing I notice is you can stomp any other unit in the game that isnt a union unit... which.. is fun.. but makes it pretty easy to wipe out anyone else on the map... This is the only mod I really care about playing a whole lot except maybe Darth's Mod that would probably fix all the other annoying bugs in the game.. But yours is just excellent and I am really satisfied with it... I am very thankful someone decided to do it :-)

Here is a picture of the stars and bars if you would like to reference it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CS...-21.5.1861.svg
    In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k @ stock
    CPU HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212+
    MOBO:ASrock Fatal1ty p67 professional series
    RAM: Gskill 16380MB @ 1600mhz
    GPU: XFX 6970 2048MB
    PSU: Corsair TX850M
    CASE: Coolermaster HAF 932
    HDD: 2 x Samsung F3 spinpoint 1TB each
    ODD: Asus DVD Burner 22x

The mod doesn't work with any others mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post
    1. There is a missionary in south carolina or georgia a protestant.. that is yours.. but cant move and isnt on the agent list....
    He belongs to US and not CS.

2. You cant build churches to recruit more missionaries... you oddly start with some catholic churches... but that doesnt do you much good if you are a protestant country
    There is one church protestant (Carolinas) but the others are catholic left from French and Spanish that build them. You can't build or upgrade churches due to a vanilla bug but it is easy to be fixed in next update. Until then download the attached ACW_churches_fix.7z, decompress it and place the pack in ETW/data. Activate the mod with Mod Manager and you'll be able to build churches. You have to demolish teh catholic if you want to replace with protestant.

3. For some reason the Confederacy starts at war with Spain.. Although interesting... not accurate...
    I can fix it but in the next turn it will happen again. That is because of the faction expansion penalty. The same happens with US and G. Britain, so it will be left like it is.

4. Although I love the "southern cross" flag that you have given the CSA its also wrong... The Southern Cross wasnt used until 1863. The original flag of the confederacy was the stars and bars.
    Thanks for the info but I have to discuss it also with the ACW: B&G team in order to change them.

I really like the mod.... The other thing I notice is you can stomp any other unit in the game that isnt a union unit... which.. is fun.. but makes it pretty easy to wipe out anyone else on the map...
    Here is a picture of the stars and bars if you would like to reference it
    This is a very important feed back and thanks for that, since modding do not leave me much free time to play a campaign. So you say that the unit stats are unbalanced in favor of American factions?

Crawdad21B2O's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post

This is a very important feed back and thanks for that, since modding do not leave me much free time to play a campaign. So you say that the unit stats are unbalanced in favor of American factions?
    my two cents, having played as both factions extensvely:

The american units are tweaked in range, accuracy, morale, size, and recruiting cost.
    The longer Weapons ranges are true of all factions, though. the key difference is morale and accuracy. the way things are, Confederate units of all types wipe the floor with any european land army--and, pound for pound, the union army as well-- but lack in production capablity and technology of the europeans or the Union. At sea, they're at a disadvantange, but note this was historically true. It indeed takes a skilled CS or US naval commander to deal with any of the major european factions navies, as they are able to produce heavy first rates from the start. Fortunately, the AI-controlled Spain builds 20 ship flotilla's of sloops and brigs, which are easily dispatched with a fleet of 2 4th rates, one 5t rate flag ship, two 5th rates, and 2 6th rates (using chain shot to slow those quick little bastards down, then blowing them out of the water with a whiff of round shot from the heavier 4th rates).

On land, spanish infantry gets it's arse handed to it on a platter by good southron (as well as yankee) fighting men, which is fair considering spain was in a decline by this point. my issue is that the british and french also get steamrolled, both of which had world-class militaries at the time.

my solution: increase the morale of british and French troops, allow them to recruit CW era artilley, and for the spaniards, well, lower their recruiting cost (to give them a numerical edge) or have mexico already there, with dirt cheap units and poor morale.

Also, get rid of grenadiers for the europeans. the AI employs them in the traditional 18th century fashion: firing a volley and then closing to throw grenades. Sadly for them, grenade range is woefully short given the now muderously lethal rifled muskets of the mid 19th century. Against US or CS infantry, they really have to time their advance to be able to get off a volley of grenades-- though, to heir credit--given the tighter formations of CS or US infantry, the 'nades are absolutely devestationg. sadly, 9 times out of 10, grenadiers are routed before before they have a chance.

However, against dismounted US or CS cavalry, which reload faster, the grenadiers are so woefully outmatched it's hillarious. if you hold your fire and time it just right, you can open up on them right as they prepare to throw, in which case they drop their grenades and thus accidentanly kill whatever friends of theirs survived the volley. in conclusion, euro infantry vs American Infantry= routing europeans, but euro grenadiers vs US/CS infantry= steaming pile of european goo. They just get blown to pieces.

On Cavalry: Hussars, Ulhans, and other strictly melee' cavalry is practically worthless and invariably ends up as expensive cannon fodder. Dragoons, Caribineers and other missile cavalry does okay. Solution= allow euros to recruit us cavalry, in their faction color for accuracy's sake.

Euro artillery is terribly vunerable to US and CS cavalry, given the latter's ability to fire with extreme lethality even at a full gallop. the problem is range. Solution= allow them to recruit CW-era artillery.

As for the Native american factions, well, frankly, they can't even comepete without a 10 to one manpower advantage. That is fair, historically, so simply lower their recruitment costs to almost nothing= 25$ per unit, I'd say.

I haven't invaded india or the middle east but it's fair to say that war elephants and muslim swordsmen will simply be good target practice for CS or US artillery crews. they alrady have a recruiting advantage though, so leave as is.

Darkpriest667's Avatar Campidoctor

He belongs to US and not CS.

There is one church protestant (Carolinas) but the others are catholic left from French and Spanish that build them. You can't build or upgrade churches due to a vanilla bug but it is easy to be fixed in next update. Until then download the attached ACW_churches_fix.7z, decompress it and place the pack in ETW/data. Activate the mod with Mod Manager and you'll be able to build churches. You have to demolish teh catholic if you want to replace with protestant.

I can fix it but in the next turn it will happen again. That is because of the faction expansion penalty. The same happens with US and G. Britain, so it will be left like it is.

Thanks for the info but I have to discuss it also with the ACW: B&G team in order to change them.

well im sorry but now that ive installed the church fix the game continually crashes on me.... so i dont know what the deal with that file is.. but it fouls the entire mod up... Also i have no idea what the mod manager is... so ill just reinstall the mod as is and try again

apparently the save is just corrupted.. does anyone know how to delete saves? or is not available in the mod... also how do i remove the mod..
    Last edited by Darkpriest667; December 18, 2009 at 10:49 PM.
    In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k @ stock
    CPU HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212+
    MOBO:ASrock Fatal1ty p67 professional series
    RAM: Gskill 16380MB @ 1600mhz
    GPU: XFX 6970 2048MB
    PSU: Corsair TX850M
    CASE: Coolermaster HAF 932
    HDD: 2 x Samsung F3 spinpoint 1TB each
    ODD: Asus DVD Burner 22x

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdad21B2O View Post
    my two cents, having played as both factions extensvely:
    Your two cents were golden !

Quote Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post
    well im sorry but now that ive installed the church fix the game continually crashes on me.... so i dont know what the deal with that file is.. but it fouls the entire mod up... Also i have no idea what the mod manager is... so ill just reinstall the mod as is and try again

apparently the save is just corrupted.. does anyone know how to delete saves? or is not available in the mod... also how do i remove the mod..
    If you don't use Mod Manager go in C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts and in your user.empire_script.txt add the line: mod "Churches_fix.pack";

The saves are in C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\save_games

For winXP it is in C:\Documents and Settings\(User Name)\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts or save_games

To remove ACW mod just remove the ACW pack files from ETW/data folder.
    Last edited by husserlTW; December 19, 2009 at 07:52 AM.

Hi,
    I played the mod for about 4 hours without problems, I played huge battles and allways was great. No laggs nothing, but now in every battle after 5 minutes, every 20 seconds I get a big lagg or an fps drop. When the lagg is over the game runs perfect for 20 seconds and again.

What can I do to fix this?
    please help me fast.

Quote Originally Posted by freazy View Post
    Hi,
    I played the mod for about 4 hours without problems, I played huge battles and allways was great. No laggs nothing, but now in every battle after 5 minutes, every 20 seconds I get a big lagg or an fps drop. When the lagg is over the game runs perfect for 20 seconds and again.

What can I do to fix this?
    please help me fast.
    Sorry I have no answer to that. Another player had similar problem but in that case was a CTD form the first battle he had and I thought that it was a VGA card issue.

Anyway I am preparing a new version where the stats have been reworked since now it is too easy for both American factions in the battlefield. I'll uploaded it soon with new Battle AI improvement by Darth Vader and I hope this issue will be solved.

This mod is one of the best mods in Empire
    I have update empire copy but the church fix dosen't work(I'm active with mod maneger)
    Horse bug(Don't bump the thread)

Default Re: American Civil War.....(Last updated 23/12/2009)

UPDATE: Updated version v. 2.1 has been added.

ChrisJoker's Avatar Semisalis

UPDATE: Updated version v. 2.1 has been added.
    I dont understand when I installed this mod v2 and v2.1 and the previous ACW pack file and got rid of all my mods in data folder startops and user empire script my game gets a ctd in start up when i activate the mod plss help!!
    "An army of sheep led by a lion can defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep".(Arab proverb)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJoker View Post
    I dont understand when I installed this mod v2 and v2.1 and the previous ACW pack file and got rid of all my mods in data folder startops and user empire script my game gets a ctd in start up when i activate the mod plss help!!
    Do not activate the mod.

Great mod, but I have some questions. Almost all CSA infantry looks the same. Why is that so?

Hi again,
    I fixed my problem but now I noticed that every unit in the CSA and some of the Union army look the same. In the CSA every unit has the old cowboy hat. But normally they just have some small hats and they have coats. Maybe some new details on the units would be nice.
    A nother thing is, that it would be nice if you do some historical Battles, like Gettysburg, Freddericksburg, Antietam, or some kind like that.

Pro-opera Jungian's Avatar Tiro

Hello all!

I have not downloaded this mod yet but I've been thinking about it. I'm not much of a mod person, but I am a big ACW person, so I might, but I have a few questions (most of which probably have obvious answers, but like I said, I'm new at this.)

1. Can my regular ETW campaign function? I'd gather not, but was curious anyhow.

2. Besides time line, how much different is this from regular ETW?

3. Are the provinces different on the campaign map?

4. Are all the generals historical generals, or just Grant and Lee?

5. And finally what special units are there and how do they work?

Sorry for bombarding all these most likely simple questions, but I like the sounds of this mod but the page does not give much information. It looks great though and I appreciate all the work you guys do, thanks!

Do not activate the mod.
    a yeah sorry about that but if i dont activate it ill be playing the normal vanilla game how im i going play the civil war mod if i dont activate it i cant play it either way
    "An army of sheep led by a lion can defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep".(Arab proverb)

Quote Originally Posted by Lusen View Post
    Great mod, but I have some questions. Almost all CSA infantry looks the same. Why is that so?
    Quote Originally Posted by freazy View Post
    Hi again,
    I fixed my problem but now I noticed that every unit in the CSA and some of the Union army look the same. In the CSA every unit has the old cowboy hat. But normally they just have some small hats and they have coats. Maybe some new details on the units would be nice.
    A nother thing is, that it would be nice if you do some historical Battles, like Gettysburg, Freddericksburg, Antietam, or some kind like that.
    The units are made from the ACW: B&G team (you can have some more info in their thread). You have to know that ETW is not friendly at all in modding units. When new updates are up they will be included.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-opera Jungian View Post
    Hello all!

I have not downloaded this mod yet but I've been thinking about it. I'm not much of a mod person, but I am a big ACW person, so I might, but I have a few questions (most of which probably have obvious answers, but like I said, I'm new at this.)

1. Can my regular ETW campaign function? I'd gather not, but was curious anyhow.
    None of your vanilla files are overwritten. If you want to play vanilla you have just to remove temporarily the mod packs from your data folder.

2. Besides time line, how much different is this from regular ETW?
    Actually there are 2 new factions with unique units.

3. Are the provinces different on the campaign map?
    No.

4. Are all the generals historical generals, or just Grant and Lee?
    Just Grant and Lee

5. And finally what special units are there and how do they work?
    Download and see.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJoker View Post
    a yeah sorry about that but if i dont activate it ill be playing the normal vanilla game how im i going play the civil war mod if i dont activate it i cant play it either way
    Follow the instructions first correctly and then make your questions. The ACW packs are "movie" type and not "mod". The game engine when meets in your game installation "movie" packs, it loads them automatically and last in order. You don't have to and you must not activate them.

The units are made from the ACW: B&G team (you can have some more info in their thread). You have to know that ETW is not friendly at all in modding units. When new updates are up they will be included.

None of your vanilla files are overwritten. If you want to play vanilla you have just to remove temporarily the mod packs from your data folder.

Actually there are 2 new factions with unique units.

No.

Just Grant and Lee

Download and see.

Follow the instructions first correctly and then make your questions. The ACW packs are "movie" type and not "mod". The game engine when meets in your game installation "movie" packs, it loads them automatically and last in order. You don't have to and you must not activate them.
    to be frank what u just said wasn't mentioned in the instructions.So ur saying to have no mods in data folder and clean start ops and clean scripts and then drop the ACW packs in the steam apps data and just play the game? beacuse i have already done all those things and i just end up playing the reagularvanilla ETW.