Thread: Helios 45 - A Burning Desire

Default Helios 45 - A Burning Desire

Contents

18th of January, somewhere in Siberia

It has been twenty days. Twenty days without sun, endless snow. We have no more food, running short of water. So cold, how many fingers have gotten numb? I've lost count. Lying here, the tent barely protecting us against the never ending snowfall. It's dark outside, nothing to do. Nothing but waiting, waiting for death.
    Yet there was but one thought occupying my mind, haunting my half-frozen brain. It has to be released...
    The Helios has to be released today. It's our only hope.

Hey everybody,

Here we are again with another issue of the Helios. The 45th issue in the history of this publication to be exact - the Helios has indeed been around for quite a while. For this issue, we have articles about a lot of different subjects, ranging from two interviews, historical articles and Freddie's "Hot Wire" to a brand new rant by Lord Rahl. On top of that, we also have two new writers: please welcome Katsumoto and Acco who are joining our ranks! Applause and flowers, if you please.
    The new guys have prepared two top-quality articles for your reading pleasure and there are also several other great articles by our more senior writers.

But enough talking! Please enjoy our articles and judge for yourself which ones you like. I'm sure that there'll be something for everyone.

First of all, we have one of our new writers interviewing the US Marine Captain Jin. Those of you who frequent the D&D will probably know him already but I'm sure that this interview will be an interesting read regardless of that. Captain Jin will explain what life as a Marine is like and what challenges he faced. There are also several pictures which show him amongst his fellow Marines. But see for yourselves.

The Few, the Proud, the Marines
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Few, the Proud, the Marines

We regularly hear on the news about the exploits of our service men serving in Afghanistan, Iraq, and other places around the globe. But how often do we hear from the infantry man himself, the guy on the frontline, the soldier who puts himself in the gravest of danger, and sometimes even commits the ultimate sacrifice, so that we can continue with our way of life? Well today ladies and gentlemen, I would like to present to you a Sergeant who served in Fox Company, 2nd Battalion of the 7th Marines Regiment (Reinforced), stationed at Twenty-Nine Palms, CA. He was in Fallujah, Iraq, in 2005. Please everybody welcome Captain Jin!

Hello Captain Jin, thank you for doing this interview. Well, let’s get to it. What made you decide to join the United States Marine Corps?

Well, ever since I was little I wanted to be in the military. I've had a lot of family in the military, but none of them were in the Marine Corps. Despite that, all of them had the highest respect for the Marines and always said they were the best. So that seemed like the area to go when I decided to enlist.

Can I just ask, what is the significance of the “Reinforced” after the “Regiment”?

A normal Regiment is comprised of just three line battalions and a headquarters battalion. 7th Marines has one additional line(infantry) Battalion. See 4th Marines Regiment has been split up since WWII and it's three battalions have been attached to different Regiments. The lore behind that is that it's punishment because back in WWII 4th Marines is the only regiment to surrender to the enemy.
    Lore also states their headquarters element is never again allowed to set foot on US soil again. Marine Corps denies it, but they've never been brought back together and the 4th Marines HQ has been Okinawa since WWII.

How was boot camp? What were your feelings before you arrived there, and how did you feel when you arrived?

Before boot camp I wasn't that nervous until right before the drill instructors picked us up. It was kind of weird ‘cause it was the first time I left home for an extended period of time, 3 months, but overall I just tried to party and enjoy my time with my friends before I went off to recruit training.

Boot camp itself wasn't altogether that difficult. You just have to look ahead and see that it will end someday. 1st Phase they spend a lot of time yelling and screaming in your face and then IT’ing you when you screw up. IT stands for instructional training... I think. It's basically where they pull you aside, and take you the 'pit' which is just some dirt somewhere nearby and they haze you by having you do pushups, sit ups, side straddle hops, mountain climbers, that sort of things till your exhausted. If you're in your squad bay you're told to go up to what's called the quarter deck, which is the front of the squad bay.

You screw up a lot too because you're all new to everything. The days are long, with early mornings and some events always scheduled, whether it's drill, classes on Marine Corps knowledge and history, or MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program), things of that nature. One of the worst things was the lack of food. We went to the chow hall three times a day, but were often kicked out only moments after sitting down to eat, usually because someone did something wrong. You had to use only your right hand to eat, keep your feet flat on the floor, not speak to anyone near you, and keep your head and eyes down on your tray. DI’s (Drill Instructors) catch someone anything doing other than that and they kick you out of the chow hall, and I mean everyone. I had some trouble at doing the in-house stuff, like making name tapes and making a presentable rack and that sort of thing. It's garrison work, I still suck at that crap to this day. I call it arts and crafts trash.

Phase 2 you go up to Camp Pendleton for three weeks of rifle shooting, field week, and the Crucible, as well as a few hikes. Crucible is a three day event where you're basically put through all these physical obstacles, sleep deprived and food deprived and it culminates with like a 12 km hike, I think that's how long it was but I forget.

Phase 2 is more physically taxing cause you are in your flak (the old school ones from the 90s), pack and helmet. Shooting wasn't too bad, but starting with field week it started raining on us and didn't stop until I was done with Infantry school months later, so that was pretty miserable. The Crucible is tough if you haven't done anything stressful before, but overall it's not too bad, you can power through it, especially with everyone else with you.

Phase 3 is just getting ready to graduate. The DI’s have eased off you mostly, you start to see the shabby civilians form into 'Marines'. We march and drill smartly, feel that motivation, etc. Recruits volunteer to get IT’ed and the yelling from DI’s doesn't affect you so much. You do your final competitions like final drill, and the practical application test, and medical test. This along with PFT (Physical Fitness Test) scores and rifle marksmanship scores earn points for your platoon against the others to compete for honor platoon. I was 1st Recruit Training Battalion, Charlie Company, Platoon 1017, and we were honor platoon =D.

Overall, it was rough, but I didn't have too much trouble with it. Still a lot of stuff I have forgotten since it was five years ago.

Ah right, I didn’t know eating was so strict, hehe. What was your first deployment like? How did you feel before, and what was it like when you were there?

A little apprehensive I suppose. To be honest I was pretty at ease with the entire thing. It's kind of a surreal experience you know, you're actually going off to war. You grow up seeing it on tv, or in movies or you play the video games, but here you are actually going. I said my goodbyes back home and I was okay, only a few times some people actually cried which made it harder for me personally, but for the most part I was okay.

When I got there all I could think about was how hot it was. It was 120 degrees or so as we had landed right in July. The entire first deployment was very tough, as our operational tempo was high. On average I was getting about four hours of a sleep in any 24 hour period. Sometimes more, but not often, and sometimes that would stretch out to 48 hours or a bit more with no sleep which was wild.

In 2005 we were still trying to adjust to COIN and the whole hearts and minds idea. That's something that had been preached to troops since the invasion, but no one really knew how to accomplish it. Weird huh? I mean, how hard can it be to win hearts and minds? It certainly isn't the first time the US has been in a hostile environment performing security and stability operations.

As a result we weren't that effective at winning over the local populace. We were sent to Fallujah and my forward operating base was just about two hundred meters away from what was called 'Contractor bridge'. That was the bridge where they hung and burned those contractors before the assault on the city took place, if you remember.

At times I still had problems coming to terms with being there. Not that I minded, but like I said it was still so surreal. I had been at home watching on the news about places like Fallujah, and now I was there. I still remember one of the first days outside the wire, riding in the back of a high back humvee through the devastated streets. I've got my rifle pointed outboard and I'm just looking at the destruction, picturing the fight that must've taken place there. The sun was going down and suddenly the loud speakers on many different mosques came on and started blaring their daily prayer. It was a pretty cool feeling, definitely unique in my life.

Most of the deployment we were all miserable, but when you look back on it, everything is just funny and you think damn, we did that. I remember another night, rolling out at like 3 am to go do some raids on a village south of the city. We had already been awake over 24 hours, everyone was exhausted, and we knew this operation was going to take a while. We're miserably sitting in the back of the truck, freezing our asses off because it's winter. Engine starts up and we start rolling out the wire and I laughingly start to sing the Marine Corps hymn, thought it would be funny. So in a low tone I start "From the halls of Montezuma..." suffice it to say such a thing is forbidden amongst the grunts as it is clearly over-moto, and you had to be accused of being moto. Nevertheless my buddies in the back joined in and we started singing it haha, then as we passed the guard post at the entry control point someone yells "SHUT THE **** UP!", we just laughed.

Again, as I said, most of the deployment we were still trying to kind of learn how to fight the war effectively. We were still doing big, sweeping battalion sized operations, which were ineffective and often only turned up some caches here and there. The enemy hit us hard with IEDs and pop shots mostly, but nothing very organized or effective either. It was probably the most irritating thing about the deployment, we'd get shot at then we'd spread through a village like a fire trying to find the shooter. Or we'd get hit by an IED (which really really, really pisses you off) and everyone would deny any knowledge of it, even hearing the explosion. Mainly out of fear of retribution from the insurgents. People say "One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter". But those pricks weren't there fighting for the Iraqis. Some people were feeding us intel, cause most of these mopes were foreign fighters. They found out who it was, kidnapped their kids and started cutting their throats. I saw plenty of kids dead and half decomposed in ditches with their throats cut to know the pricks weren't anyone's freedom fighter.

We used to bait ourselves for ambushes but they never took the bait. A few times we got in a some hairy stuff. I went out with snipers once and they ambushed a mobile assault platoon like 200 meters behind our position, then got flushed towards us and ran right into where we were at. Saw the snipers and opened up on us and then the Iraqi army saw the tracers and started shooting at us too. We had to fire a red pop to cease that fire.

That sounds pretty intense. What was it like being at shot for the first time? Were you scared?

Being shot at is... one of the most confusing things ever. On one side it's the most exciting feeling ever. I mean, I don't think I've ever been so amped up as when I'm being shot at and am shooting back, but at the same time it's ****ing terrifying. You can't see the bullets, but you can hear them snapping nearby. I always thought it would be like a ricochet or something like you hear in films but it's not. It's a very loud snap, which actually causes a bit of ringing in your ears.

The first time I was shot at was actually that aforementioned outing with the snipers. It's actually pretty hilarious thinking back on it. I didn't react at all how you'd expect some Marine infantry guy to. I was basically staring out the back of this wrecked house, waiting to see if those insurgents that had ambushed the mobile assault platoon were coming through the palm grove. I was peering through these unwieldy, dual eyed, old ass night vision goggles, Seven Bravos. Well, unbeknownst to me, they'd spotted one of the snipers on the rooftop, and they opened fire on the building we were in, shooting up that back wall. The rounds weren't close to me, at least they didn't hit around the window I was looking at, but just along the wall beside the window, and of course the suddenness of these loud snaps surprised the hell out of me and I tried to take cover but ended up just falling forward into the wall, the NVGs got smashed back up into my face. It was pretty ungraceful and stupid looking I imagine. Haha.

Ha, that must have been quite funny to see. Do you have any final words regarding joining the marines, the situation in Afghanistan and Iraq, or war in general?

In the end, I will say that joining the Marines and further volunteering to be in the infantry was an experience I'll always remember and in many ways cherish. Most of the time I was stressed out to such a level it hardly seems fathomable now. I was often physically, and mentally taxed more than I really knew at the time. Things were hard, the life was tough, and it was unforgiving. But I wouldn't change a damn thing even if I could go back. The entire experience made me into a much better man than I was before. A man that takes responsibilities for his own actions, one that takes the initiative to improve his lot in life and to help others to the best of his abilities, and to see the world for what it is. I don't have any presumptions about the reality of the world we live in, the Marine Corps introduced me to reality on many different levels.

As for war... well; I am thankful for that experience. It would be nice to live in a world where there wasn't any more armed conflicts, a place where disputes could be settled with words and not guns and we wouldn't have to send our young off to die for often obscure ideals that may seem just and upstanding in our rights, but are alien to those we try to press them upon. But as long as there are human beings, there will be war... I found the subject to be intriguing since I was young, I studied as many others do and I decided to see what it was as first hand as I could. I intentionally joined the Marines and the infantry during a time of war. I didn't have any illusions about where I was going to end up, even though it was weird to understand as I stepped off the plane.

Some people talk about the legitimacy of the war, and I'll say that looking back on it, Iraq was a bad choice. But for many of us that served there, we've got our own personal vested interest in seeing success there. It's our blood, sweat and tears that went into it, and we are usually the most vehemently against pulling out. I'll be damned if my friends died for nothing or others that lost limbs did so for no reason at all. This is something that civilians can't understand when they demand us to bring the troops home... many of us don't want that, not until the job is done.

I've been out there on the streets with the people. I've made those connections. We weren't a bunch of stone faced killers over there. We were interacting with the people daily. Passing out school supplies and soccer balls to the kids, and candy too. They used to flock to our trucks as we passed because our turret gunners threw out loads of candy to them. We delivered medicine and provided care for others, got acquainted with dozens of families. They aren't just "Raghead Arabs" to a lot of us, they are people with names and faces and we know many of their stories and many of us would love to see them have the opportunity to live in a world far better than any they could imagine. Some say it's naive, and maybe it is, but that's how I feel. It was tough being away from home, but nothing that most of us couldn't handle. When people ask me what I missed most, I tell them porcelain toilet seats. I truly got an appreciation for the feel of a cool toilet seat, and now I understand why it's called the Throne.

Thank you so much for this great interview, Captain Jin, this is a great insight into an infantry man’s life and will hopefully make it easier for some people to understand the typical soldier's thoughts and feelings.

Finally, here are several photos which show Captain Jin and his fellow marines:

Two Marines from My Squad Greeting Some Curious Children.

The Turret Gunner of My Truck. We were Victor One, lead vehicle.

Some of my guys before a big op. Notice the tanks in the back .

Myself and a buddy from Tonga (same as the guy pictured above) trying to get motivated for the Op.

Me messing with a buddy while he sleeps.

Me with some kids we giving candy and water to.

Me and a good buddy of mine.

Patrol in Vietnam--- er.. Iraq.

The ol' Ma Deuce.

My Tongan bodyguard and I.

Me in the CoC of our combat outpost "Old British Fort".

I'm on the far left.The blonde guy next to me is one of my best friends and Silver Star Recipient.

I don't know about you guys but this interview has sure taught me a lot about what being a Marine means. Boot camp seems to be a pretty intense experience...
    But it's also interesting to hear what someone who has actually been to the country thinks about the Iraq War. The war is still subject of many hot debates and we are all curious to know how Iraq will turn out in the end. Either way, I for my part have a great deal of respect for those who risk their lives to protect others.

The following article was written by Major Darling and deals with the subject of teachers. Many TWC members are still at school so I'm sure that quite a few of you can relate to what Darling wrote. There seem to be certain kinds of teachers, each of them having its own unique way of annoying the students...

Teachers...
    Teachers...

Hey guys, this is for you students out there, wherever you are!

So lessons aren’t always our first priority at school. Okay, maybe they very rarely are. But that doesn’t mean that we don’t enjoy the occasional one. And once you get past those boring lessons you are
    forced to take for your exams, you can take some subjects that actually interest you. The thing is, even if it is your favourite subject, there are always the teachers who are going to make those 40 minute lessons a living hell.

The Bitter Teacher

We have all had one of these teachers. Their lifelong dream was to be an actor, or world renowned writer, or a groundbreaking scientist, but they didn’t quite make it. Somewhere along the line, they ended up as a teacher. So now they are hoping that perhaps the students can go on and accomplish what they couldn’t. And as we all go on and leave school (and completely forget about said teacher), they are stuck teaching the same lesson plans over, and over, and over until they retire. Don’t feel sorry for them, though. They are well aware of all this, and they will take any and every opportunity to torture you (in the form of tests, quizzes and 25-page papers).

The Author Teacher

They are extremely smart and have been successful in their field. Congratulations, sir. But my lessons should not be used as your PR opportunity. No, I really don’t want to buy your overpriced book. No, I really don’t want to read all 679 pages. And no, I really don’t want to spend the whole year writing essays that simply agree with everything you have written about in said book so that you will give me a good grade card.

The Delusional Teacher

The subject is a requirement, a last choice, or an easy A (read: you don’t care about it at all). It’s not important – it just has to be done, so you’ll suffer through it to get it over with. While the whole class is well aware of the facts, the teacher clings on to the hope that everyone cares about the topic/is bitter that his subject is a mockery and, as a result, assigns way too much homework. Two essays and 300 pages of reading a week, and three exams at the end of it? Brilliant, thanks.

The Oblivious Teacher

Um, sir? There is a clock above the door for a reason. If you think we are all so enthralled by your mind-numbingly monotonous lesson that we too have lost track of time, you are mistaken. We look forward to our morning and lunch breaks. We love it when the clock reaches that glorious 4.10, signalling the end of lessons for the day. Nothing you say can even come close to that magnificent moment of freedom, so please just don’t bother. When the clock ticks past that last minute no one hears anything else you say over the sounds of the obvious paper shuffling, bag packing and students talking in the hallway. Because their teacher let them out on time.

The Technologically-Challenged Teacher

Most people have had the “How do I send an SMS to your mobile phone?” conversation with their parents. It’s annoying (it’s called a text, Mum). But we shouldn’t have to walk our teachers through the joys of technology. If you’re in an academic setting, you really need to let go of your ancient ways and join the 21st century! The fact that these teachers don’t seem able to upload anything onto the computer is frustrating, and having to print out a copy of every homework assignment is not helping the whole deforestation saga. And an email explaining that the lesson is cancelled would be nice before we get to the classroom and find a note on the board. Hell, even my granddad has started texting and emailing (and he’s really up to date with text speak). I’m sure you can figure it out, sir.

Also worthy of a mention:
    • The Creepy Teacher
    • The Teacher Who Wants To Be Your Friend
    • The Inappropriate Teacher (not to be confused with The Creepy Teacher—this teacher always says the wrong thing at the wrong time, while The Creepy Teacher seems to fancy everyone!)

That's all for this issue, folks!

I for my part sure got a few laughs out of this article. There are certainly quite a few similarities between some of those stereotypes and a few of my own teachers...

The next article is about the famous Siberian Husky. Who can seriously claim that he doesn't find those Huskies cute? I was never a great fan of dogs but when I was little I always wanted to have one of them. Anyway, I'll let Nikos continue. He surely knows a lot about those Huskies!

Breed Profile: The Siberian Husky

Breed Profile: The Siberian Husky

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Breed origins

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Like all species of the modern domestic dog, the Siberian Husky is descended from the gray Wolf (Canis lupus). In fact, the first dogs probably looked very much like the Siberian Husky, retaining the wolf's dense double coat, strong pack instinct and over all appearance. The first dog breeders chose wolves that were more docile and less aggressive. and over successive generations, the wolf was transformed into the dog. As it's name would suggest, the Husky originated in Northeast Asia in Siberia. The dogs were bred by the Chukchi people, a nomadic people from the Chukchi peninsula in modern day Russia.

Since the Chukchi people did not have access to horses, they bred their hardy dogs (the ancestors of modern day Siberian Huskies) to pull their sleds laden with their belongings and families. Since the Chukchi people are nomadic, they would load their sleds with their dwellings and travel long distances following the herds of Caribou and other game that roam the arctic. The Siberian Husky is central to the nomadic life of the Chukchi. Providing protection for the camps during the night, in addition to being the primary mode of transportation. The Husky also provided companionship and warmth on those cold Arctic nights far from home on the hunt. And if food became too scarce, the Husky could even have been eaten as a last resort.

The breed was largely unnoticed by the wider Western world, until the Alaska gold rush of the late 19th and early 20th century. Thousands of enterprising prospectors flooded into Alaska eager to stake their claim and make a fortune. The harsh landscape of the Alaskan tundra proved difficult to navigate with horses, so the American prospectors followed the Native's example and traveled by dog sled teams.

The breed first came to wider attention in 1909, when the first ever group of "Chukchi Huskies" came over from Russia and were entered in the 408 mile all Alaska sweepstakes dogsled race. Although not impressive in their first year, 70 huskies were imported by an impressed dogsledder and during the 1910 all Alaska sweepstakes, the 3 Husky teams finished 1st, 2nd and fourth. The dominance of the Siberian Husky in the dogsledding world had begun. It wasn't until 1925 however, that the Siberian Husky would earn it's greatest fame.

A horrible diphtheria outbreak had occurred in the Alaskan city of Nome, and the only way for the town to receive a shipment of potentially life saving Diphtheria serum was a 340 mile trek by dogsled. Teams of Siberian Huskies raced the serum to Nome and through their efforts, and the efforts of their handlers, the town was saved. One of the Huskies, Balto, who made the final Serum run into Nome, is honored with a statue in New York City's central park. Although another Husky, Togo, was actually the lead dog who's team made the most hazardous part of the journey. The heroic story of the 1925 Diphtheria run helped to spread the Husky's popularity outside of Alaska and the breed soon became popular as a family pet. The American kennel club (AKC) officially recognized the breed in 1930.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Form, function and temperament

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Siberian Husky retains many behavioral traits and a similar appearance to it's ancestor the wolf. For example, both wolves and Huskies rarely bark. Huskies and Wolves prefer howling and "yelping" , a distinctive sound that any husky owner will instantly recognize. Often, huskies will howl when excited, or when they hear another "howl" be it a fire engine or another actual dog! The Siberian Husky is a moderately compact dog, with a strong upper body to pull loads and sleds. Their ears are erect and triangle shaped, like a wolves, and their well furred tails are either carried sickle like over the back, or flat toward the ground.

Because Siberian Huskies were bred in the Arctic, they have 2 sets of fur "coats. The first coat, or outer coat is moderately coarse to repel dirt and other debris. The second coat, or under coat, is very dense and soft to keep the dogs insulated from the harsh arctic climate. Unlike other dog breeds, the Husky will only shed 2 times a year. Once in the fall, to grow in their Winter coats and once in the Spring to grow in their lighter summer coats. This is called "blowing" their coats and they need daily brushing during coat blowing so their coat doesn't become matted.

Like all dogs and wolves, Siberian Huskies are pack animals and are biologically coded to fit into a pack society. If not properly socialized with it's human "pack" Huskies can become aggressive and dangerous to their owners so it is extremely important to socialize your dog properly, starting when they are just puppies. The Siberian Husky is a stubborn and energetic dog that needs a good amount of daily exercise lest their boredom turn into bad habits such as chewing furniture. All huskies like to dig holes and chasing small animals, so they should be properly socialized when young around smaller pets such as cats. It is imperative for all Husky owners to provide their dogs with mental and physical stimuli. Huskies aren't majorly prone to any particular diseases, but yearly checkups and required veterinary vaccinations are best to keep your dog healthy.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Conclusion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Despite it's wolf like appearance, the Siberian Husky is a gentle and loving companion. As a husky owner, I can say that the breed is not for everyone. But for all of the oddities and eccentricities that owning a Husky brings, I wouldn't have it any other way. the Siberian Husky, a truly remarkable, loyal, steadfast and intelligent breed, sometimes a little too intelligent for it's own good! they will always hold a special place in my heart and in my home.

Next up is Legio interviewing his fellow moderator Winter. Winter joined Staff only a few weeks ago and Legio asked him about his first impressions.

Interview with Winter

Legio: Please introduce yourself.

Winter: I'm Winter, I'm the new moderator for the Games and Chat forums on TWC. I'm also still moderator of the Total War RPG forums. Prior to moderation, I spent most of my time on TWC running my RPG You are the Senate.

On the real life side of things: I'm currently a senior in high school in a small Connecticut town. I'm busy working on college applications and fun stuff like that lately, and I'm really looking forward to next year. I hope to go off to college and study classics with hopes of pursuing a professorship.

What made you apply/join for the rank of moderator?

To be honest, Pontifex, a senior moderator on the site, has been trying to get me to join for a while. I finally relented a few weeks ago. I'm glad to say that my reluctance seems unfounded now though. Everyone on staff has been great so far.

How does it feel to be the newest moderator?

I'm really happy with the way the staff has welcomed me into their ranks. They're all really supportive and friendly, and are showing me the ropes well. Its a bit overwhelming at first being the new moderator, and they've helped a lot.

As for the job itself, its not so bad. For most of the time I just browse the forums as usual, now I just stop to take care of the occasional TOS violation here or there. It's definitely better than I expected.

How does moderation feel in general, any ups or downs? Perks?

Its definitely a downer when members feel the need to mock decisions I make, but for the most part I've found that most site users have been more than friendly and cooperative which is definitely a plus.

Have there been times when you felt like moderation was harder than expected? Easier?

Its definitely hard when I have to make a tough call that I know is going to upset people. Sometimes as moderators we have to do things we don't necessarily want to do, and take the heat for it. Luckily, the membership here has been more than cooperative and supportive, for which I am grateful.

Do you have a "moderation style"? If so, what is it?

I don't think I've been around long enough to have developed a "style" yet. I do try to be more lenient in some areas of my jurisdiction, however; I tend to do less severe things in the Thema Devia, for example. That doesn't mean the rules aren't followed - I don't let anything slide that shouldn't. Given the nature of the forum however, I do think my actions there have been for the most part fair.

How often do you find yourself moderating as opposed to doing the things you did on the forum before?

Moderation seems to have fit in well with the time I usually spend on TWC. I've had to cut back on a few things though; I haven't been able to return to my RPG which saddens me. Hopefully I'll work out a new schedule soon, though.

Are there any particular forums or threads that are a hassle to moderate? If so, what are they?

I wouldn't say anywhere in particular is a hassle. There are some threads, especially in the TD, that do require a more careful hand. I'm definitely more patient with certain threads than others, and try to hand out more lenient punishments if they are required.

Anything else you would like to say?

I'd just like to thank all of the members that have congratulated me over this new post, as well as those kind enough to show me support if I've ever made a tough call. I'm working to make the site more enjoyable for everyone, and its nice to see that people appreciate it.

Now for something completely different, we have Acco, a new Helios writer, presenting a piece of historical fiction. The story takes place in an alternate universe where the American Civil War turned out differently than it did in our world. While this might not be everyone's cup of tea, a lot of research went into it and I for my part think that it's a great read. But go ahead and judge for yourselves, folks!

Historical Fiction
    Our flag is proudly floating
    On the land and on the main,
    Shout, shout the battle cry of Freedom!
    Beneath it oft we've conquered,
    And we'll conquer oft again!
    Shout, shout the battle cry of Freedom!
    Down with the eagle...
    And up with the cross!
    Southerns all, at freedom's call,
    For our homes united all,
    Freemen, live, or freemen fall!

Death or liberty!

In the Western campaign, major general Henry Halleck instructed his subordinate, Ulysses S. Grant, to penetrate the Confederate defensive line across the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers. Grant swiftly transported his troops down the Cumberland River towards the Confederate strongholds of Fort Henry and Fort Donelson. After fierce fighting, the two forts were captured, opening the way for future Union attacks into the Deep South. Grant, seizing the initiative, moved further south and conducted another expedition aimed at capturing the city of Corinth, Mississippi. Grant and the Army of Tennessee took up lodgings in the quaint town of Pittsburg Landing. Albert Sidney Johnston, the Confederate general, his army positioned near Grant's, initiated a surprise attack on Grant's force. Thus began the battle of Shiloh. In the first day of action, the Confederates pushed Grant back onto the sands of the Tennessee, but were unable to defeat him. The next day, Grant, now reinforced, lashed back at Johnston. The Confederates retreated from Pittsburg Landing towards their headquarters at Corinth, Mississippi. Grant was celebrated for the victory, however his own personal jubilation was cut short by the events that followed the victory. In order to see whether the Confederates were gearing for a second attack, Grant sent his right-hand man William Tecumseh Sherman on a reconnaissance mission to search for the Confederate camp. Sherman encountered the camp, however he and his party perished in the ensuing fight. Thereafter, Grant was promoted second-in-command of the theater, a position which he found unsuitable. After the Union army had occupied Corinth, Mississippi, the headquarters of the Army of the Mississippi, without the moral support of Sherman, Grant pleaded for an assignment elsewhere, and was granted a minor role in New Mexico, where he would fall into obscurity.

On April 23, 1862, Captain David G. Farragut entered the mouth of the Mississippi River and occupied the city of New Orleans, the largest city in the Confederacy. The Confederate Army of Western Louisiana, under command of Richard Taylor, attempted to prevent the Union advance up the Mississippi River from New Orleans, but was pushed aside. The Union army marched up the Mississippi, capturing Baton Rouge, Louisiana and besieging the major shipbuilding hub of Port Hudson. At the same time, George Henry Thomas, who replaced U.S. Grant, maneuvered west and occupied the major city of Memphis, Tennessee. The Union was preparing to initiate a final offensive that would revert to their control the remaining 125 miles of the Mississippi River that still belonged to the Confederacy. In an act of desperation, Richard Taylor intentionally propagated the falsity that the French intervention in Mexico was done in order to reinforce the Confederate troops in Texas and the Trans-Mississippi theater. In order to prevent the supposed French expedition, the Union proposed an offensive up the Red River in Louisiana to recapture the entire state. In addition, Frederick Steele, Union commander in Arkansas, would progress south and assault the Confederate capital of Louisiana at Shreveport. Once the two forces linked up in Shreveport, they would turn west and occupy east Texas, thus preventing the French from entering the war. The campaign was a complete and absolute failure. Although outnumbered, Richard Taylor managed to deliver a decisive blow to the Union armies outside Shreveport. Steele retreated back into Arkansas, while the main Union army returned to New Orleans. Richard Taylor pursued the Union forces, ending the Union siege of Port Hudson and starting the Confederate siege of New Orleans. After several unsuccessful attempts to break the siege, George Henry Thomas and his army to the north rested in Memphis, refusing to move south because of the stagnation of the Union's army in New Orleans. Unsatisfied with Thomas's performance, Alfred Palmer succeeded him as commander of the Army of Tennessee. Palmer was even more inefficient, and did little different than Thomas. Thus, by 1863, the Western front of the war came to a standstill.

In the East, the Union had as its main objective the seizure of the Confederate capital of Richmond. In July 1861, the Union launched an offensive out of Washington, the Federal capital, but was halted just a few miles outside the city at the battle of First Bull Run. George B. McClellan, general of the Union forces and respected greatly by his subordinates, then began the Peninsula Campaign in the spring of 1862, landing his army on the Virginia Peninsula, close to Richmond. McClellan advanced steadily towards the Confederate capital, but in the Seven Days Battles was forced to abandon the campaign by the Confederate general Robert E. Lee, despite getting within six miles of Richmond. After the Union's third assault was repelled at the battle of Second Bull Run, Robert E. Lee went on the offensive and led his forces into Maryland, only to be promptly turned back at the battle of Antietam by McClellan. The Union followed up the battle of Antietam with an attack on Fredericksburg, Virginia, but was defeated once again. President Lincoln, deciding an attack on the Confederate capital was the best way to destroy Lee and his army, ordered another campaign across the Rappahannock River. Lee combated the Union at the small village of Chancellorsville, and, despite being outnumbered, managed to defeat the Federals once again. After five successive failures to capture Richmond and destroy the Army of Northern Virginia, Robert E. Lee took a gamble and led his army through the Shenandoah Valley and invaded the North. The Confederate force and the Union force commanded by General Meade clashed at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. After three days of fierce fighting, Lee and his army retreated back into Virginia after the failure of Pickett's Charge, a massive infantry assault on Union positions at Cemetery Ridge. General Meade and the Union army pursued Lee half-heartedly, but once they had gotten far enough into Virginia the Union army halted, the two armies taking up opposite sides of the Rappahannock River. Meade was too timid to go on the offensive, and a stalemate ensued, neither side daring an attack on the other.

By 1864, the war had been stylized by soldiers and civilians alike as the "Bore War". Indeed, it was silent on all fronts. In order to reinforce his reelection as president and increase the morale of the nation, President Abraham Lincoln ordered an offensive into northwestern Georgia. The offensive was partially successful, however at the battle of Dalton the Union was sent packing. The Confederates followed up their victory by sieging the Tennessee city of Chattanooga. After holding out for four months, the Union commander at Chattanooga surrendered his army to the Confederacy, propelling Southern morale and leading to the re-occupation of most of Kentucky and Tennessee by Confederate forces. Thanks to the ineffectiveness of the Georgia campaign and the loss of Tennessee and Kentucky, the anti-war Democrats soared in popularity. In a much-hyped election, Lincoln was voted out of office in favor of George B. McClellan, a Democrat who called for the immediate cessation of hostilities. McClellan, a popular commander during the war, garnered much support from his loyal, battle-hardened troops of the Army of the Potomac. So saying, a few months after the election of McClellan, the Army of the Potomac solemnly retreated back into Maryland. Confederate and Northern officials convened officially to draw up a formal peace treaty and resolve a number of future territorial disputes. The two sides signed the Treaty of Spotsylvania, solidifying Southern independence. The treaty also stipulated that the current position of the Confederate and Union armies would determine the current borders between the two sides. This meant that most of Kentucky and Tennessee were annexed by the Confederacy, however the major garrisons of Memphis and Louisville remained in Union hands. Unbeknownst to the Confederate diplomats, the Union army under siege in New Orleans was still functioning, and according to the treaty this implied that New Orleans was Union territory. Despite the South's harsh rhetoric ordering the Union to vacate the strategically important city, the Union army refused to leave, citing the Treaty of Spotsylvania as proof that the Confederate government had no quarrel with the status quo in New Orleans. The Confederacy dropped the complaint after they failed to produce any results, however it remained a contentious issue for years to come.

The Confederacy, after receiving diplomatic recognition from Great Britain, France, Prussia, Austria and other European powers, went about on its own, investing most of its time in attempting to repair its economy and political stability. The antebellum South had long been accustomed to lighter tax burdens, however, due to the unprecedented amount of borrowing the Confederacy did in order to fund the war, large census-based taxes on property and slaves were enlisted. Although the South was nowhere near the total repayment of its debts, its new budget, the steady flow of taxes and the lack of a money-draining war against a large industrial power made it easier for the South to cope with the burden. The Union also had massive war debts to pay off, however they found it easier to do so because of their developed markets and industrial base. U.S. President George B. McClellan had an able economic advisor, Salmon P. Chase, who served as Secretary of the Treasury under Lincoln's administration. Chase managed to put the Union on the right track in repaying its war debts, however the delicate situation meant that every decision with economic ramifications had to be chosen and authorized carefully. One such decision was over whether or not to accept the generous Russian offer of Alaska, which was turned down by the Union for the devastating effect such a purchase would have on the economy and because Alaska, at the time, showed little hope of economic success. Politically, the South developed ultraconservative political parties that took a hard line against the Union, usually demanding the return of New Orleans, Memphis and Louisville. In fact, New Orleans was officially considered by the Confederacy as the Confederate capital under occupation, next to Richmond, the technical capital. The Sons of Southern Liberty won the Confederate presidential elections of 1865 and 1871, espousing an anti-Union platform consisting of states' rights and Southern nationalism. The Union's preexisting Republican Party, of which Lincoln was a member, promoted a hard line attitude towards the Confederacy, while the Democrats were mostly anti-war but nonetheless opposed the Confederacy through other means. As many blamed the Republican Party for the current nation's divide, the Democratic Party prospered. By the late 1860s, the two nations had managed to get ahead of their debts and thus started an era of mutual progress. The new era, and the eras that would follow, however, was labeled by a handful of fearful citizens as the Long Road to Ruin.

To the south in Mexico, Napoleon III of France was struggling to maintain his hold over the country in the face of numerous Mexican Republican victories. Most towns on the Rio Grande border with the Confederacy were captured by the Mexican Republican soldiers. Realizing how lucrative enlisting Confederate support could be, Napoleon III invited the Confederacy to assault the northern-most provinces of Mexico and kick out the Mexican Republican forces. In return, the French would transfer the Mexican provinces of Sonora, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon and Tamaulipas to Confederate control. The Confederacy obliged, and activated its armed forces. The Union was alarmed and transported thousands of soldiers to the state of California, in order to monitor and counterbalance Confederate actions. The Confederate troops, with their high morale and renowned military leaders, routed the Mexican Republican forces with minimal casualties, capturing all the provinces owed to them by summer 1869. Shortly thereafter, the Mexican provinces occupied by Confederate forces were annexed as states, giving the Confederacy a vital lifeline on the Pacific Ocean. The Union, unwilling to grant the Confederacy the right to the Pacific, pushed into Baja California, a long and skinny peninsula of Mexico that juts out of California, without declaring war on France. The few French and local forces in the area were defeated and Baja California was occupied by the Union, effectively challenging the new Confederate possessions. France predictably reacted harshly, condemning the Union's actions and greed, and prepared for war. French expeditions landed on the coast of Baja California, hoping to recapture the lost territory. On the eastern coast, the French Caribbean Fleet docked in Nassau, Bahamas, a British possession. Aiming to deliver a decisive blow to the French naval forces, the American navy initiated an elaborate attack on the French fleet stationed in Nassau. After a day of combat, the French fleet was liquidated, presenting the Union with an uplifting victory. Because the attack took place on British territory, however, Britain condemned the Union for violating their neutrality, and severed all relations with the republic. In retaliation for their defeat at Nassau, France blockaded Boston Harbor (later reduced to rubble by the French guns) and the Chesapeake Bay. The French expeditions in Baja California failed, however, and the French largely gave up the war effort after no significant results were produced. The war significantly altered the Union for years to come. Namely, the war with the French isolated the Union diplomatically. Great Britain refused to communicate with the Union, while the Confederacy and France maintained a clear hatred of the Union. The hatred was mutual, as the citizens of the Union, especially in Boston, Washington D.C. and Baltimore, were hit hard by the war economically. Realizing the need to be surrounded by allies, the Union signed an alliance with the newly-formed German Empire in 1871, adopting many of its characteristics. In addition, the new war-like tendencies that arrived after the war's conclusion, and a severe economic depression the Democrats were unable to contain, led the Republican Party to victory in the 1872 presidential elections, which in turn led to the widespread militarization of the Union and the establishment of a proud military heritage. With two radical political parties heading the two nations, the North American continent was destined for turmoil.

By 1876, the Republican administration had transformed the Union army from a rag-tag group of militiamen into a full-fledged and capable fighting force. No longer did they rely on hastily-called up militiamen. All soldiers were professional, and were drilled by the best drill inspectors Germany could supply. Rising Union military commanders were sent to military academies in the German Empire, where they received extensive knowledge on the art of warfare and tactics. Most importantly, the Union researched the Southern War of Independence, and attempted to highlight the reasons why they had failed to quell the rebellion, and in doing so developed new and innovative strategies to outdo the Confederacy in a future war. After an ambush by a group of Confederate dissenters killed half-a-dozen Confederate troops in Kentucky, close to the Federal garrison at Louisville, the Union began to recognize the potential in funding and supplying proxy forces within the Confederacy. With Union aid and military supplies, the anti-Confederate cause in Kentucky grew like wildfire, rupturing in many cities, including the capital of Frankfort. The Confederacy fought back by aiding Native American groups within the Great Plains against Union settlers.

Finally, in 1878, the Union demanded that the Confederacy cede Kentucky, threatening to finalize the transaction by force if necessary. The Confederacy ignored the demand and mobilized their entire armed forces and militia. As the cities of Memphis, New Orleans, Louisville and Washington prepared for what the future would bring, the Confederate and Union armies occupied their respective borders, staring each other down. The Confederate navy began laying the foundations of the naval blockade of New Orleans, while the army militarized the Delmarva Peninsula. The Union made the first move. Firefights broke out on all fronts, after the main Union army pushed their way past the Confederate border defenses into Kentucky. Outside Louisville, the Confederates didn't put up a fight, retreating east towards the capital of Frankfort. A second Union advance group that penetrated the Confederate border with Ohio easily maneuvered south and occupied the empty major city of Lexington, cutting off the Confederate supply lines. At Frankfort, the outnumbered Confederate forces were routed, losing almost half of their 60,000-man force. In a campaign that last three weeks, the Confederates had been ousted from Kentucky.

The Union navy ambushed the Confederate naval blockade of New Orleans, leading to the surrender and destruction of most of the fleet. Instead of simply watching its ally get pummeled, Great Britain and France joined the war on the Confederacy's side, their navies blockading all the Union's major ports (including New Orleans). At the battle of the Chesapeake Bay, the Union navy was decisively defeated by Anglo-French forces. In the north, British troops poured out of Canada into the undefended state of Maine. The British occupied Maine, but were denied access to New Hampshire after the battle of Portsmouth.

The Union, after annexing Kentucky, declared a unilateral ceasefire, which the Confederacy adhered to as well. At about the same time, one of the largest scandals of the war occurred. A French vessel was transporting parts of a gargantuan statue, entitled the Statue of Liberty, to the Confederate port of Charleston, a gift from France commemorating Southern independence and liberty. The ship encountered a Union war vessel, which proceeded to board the ship, and, upon discovering its contents were destined for the Confederacy, opened fire on the ship, causing it to submerge.

By now, the Union had captured Kentucky, but lost Maine. The humongous Union army once again pushed into Confederate territory, this time slivering down the Cumberland River in conjunction with the forces in Memphis, who advanced down the Mississippi River towards the cities of Vicksburg and Natchez, Mississippi. Extra troops sent to New Orleans broke the siege, seizing southern Louisiana. A second Union army opened up the war on the eastern front, landing on the Virginia Peninsula, imitating McClellan’s strategy in the War of Secession. At the battle of Nashville, the Confederate army was decisively defeated, leading to their evacuation of the whole state into Georgia. Vicksburg and Natchez were captured, and soon the Confederacy lost control over their portion of the Mississippi River, effectively cutting the nation into two. The Confederate force in Virginia was struggling to halt the Union advance, as the first units of the Union army arrived in the suburbs of Richmond. Mobile Bay, Alabama, was captured by a Union naval expedition, and all hope appeared lost for the Confederacy. After Britain and France pulled out of the war, a war with the Union's ally Germany on their hands, the Confederacy lost significant funding. Unassisted, and burdened with the problem of funding the new war, the Confederate dollar lost nearly all of its value. The war then spread to the Western states, with the Union seizing the coastal regions of the state of Sonora, and invading most of Confederate-held New Mexico, culminating in the battle of Albuquerque, where the Union once again defeated the Confederacy, this time weakening their influence west of Texas. In Virginia, the Confederate government fled Richmond as the Union resumed control. Finally, after almost two years of war, the Confederate government announced the disestablishment of the Confederacy on June 27th, 1881. The Union rejoiced, as its armed forces were sent in on all fronts to occupy all Confederate holdings. The Confederacy was fully occupied by 1882, including the Mexican provinces, and the Union was left with the burden of reuniting the nation and reconstructing the south, after so many years of war. The Confederates, however, converted their army into a guerrilla force, and continued to execute insurgent raids on Union forces. Even though the Confederate threat was only debased, the Union still propelled on the world stage, with new prosperous states in Mexico under its rule as well as the rich agricultural region of the South. The era, spanning no more than 20 years, was by far the most turbulent in American history, and is the main reason why they are a the world's sole hyperpower today.

Note from me: For a school assignment, I had to compose a counterfactual essay about any event in history. I chose the American Civil War, because it's a subject that interests me greatly and because of the many intriguing consequences that Confederate independence could have meant for the rest of the world since the 19th century. Seeing as this was for school, I didn't write it that comprehensively (otherwise the teacher would be bamboozled and give a low mark!), and there may be a few historical inaccuracies shrouded here and there, despite the fact that the piece is supposed to be written from the viewpoint of a neutral historian, but I hope that you enjoyed the read and that I didn't waste some of your valuable time. Cheers! ~Acco

After this interesting story of historical fiction - more stories of that kind can be found here, in TWC's own historical fiction forum - here comes yet another article by Major Darling. He sure was busy! This article can be considered a tribute to Sir Donald Bradman, a quite successful cricketer. I for my part know very little about this sport but after reading this article even I was amazed by what this cricketer achieved. So even if you're not exactly a great cricket fan this might well be a quite interesting read.

Sir Donald Bradman, Greatest Cricketer Ever

Sir Donald Bradman, Greatest Cricketer Ever

Legendary Australian batsman Sir Donald Bradman was, without a shadow of a doubt, the greatest cricketer the world has ever seen. Claiming an unbelievable test batting average of 99.94., Bradman’s name is firmly embedded into Australian culture. To this day, he is hailed as a national treasure, while his status within cricket remains iconic. First becoming a symbol of hope for the nation during the great depression of the 1930s, Bradman displayed an iron will and steely determination, which, combined with his physical attributes, made him the phenomenal athlete he was. It was impossible not to revel in and admire Bradman’s skill, as thousands would turn out at grounds just to catch a glimpse of him batting. Quite simply, when the subject of cricket is brought up, one instantly thinks of Bradman.

During a playing career which spanned just over two decades, Bradman stood out among his cricketing peers for his breathtaking performances with the bat. Not one player at this time could match his enthusiasm for the game or natural ability, as Bradman went on to break numerous records before him and captain the great Australian team of the late 1940s, known as “The Invincibles”, quite possibly the greatest sporting team the country has produced. The number 99.94 is now written into cricketing folklore, Bradman’s test average seen as one of the most remarkable sporting feats ever. Not one player since has even come close to this mark, the next highest being that of South African Graeme Pollock, with a still imposing 60.97. In just 80 innings, Bradman made 29 centuries, a rate of better than one every three, and scored an impressive 6,996 runs. In comparison, the likes of Tendulkar and Lara, both hailed as the best batsmen of their generation, took 159 and 205 innings respectively to achieve Bradman’s century total, while the Australian also passed the two hundred mark on no fewer than 12 occasions, Lara himself having the next best total of 9, though having batted in almost three times the amount of innings as Bradman. Bradman’s last few moments in test cricket have also been well documented. Coming out to bat in his final test innings, he needed just 4 runs to claim a career average of 100 but, overcome with emotion from the rousing reception he received, was bowled out for 0. Although he suffered from various health problems during the latter half of his career, Bradman still managed to maintain the same level of performance seen in his best years.

Retiring from the sport in 1949, his public stature continued to grow and throughout his later life he was awarded with various honours. In the same year as his retirement he was knighted, while in 2000 he was named as one the five “Wisden Cricketers of the Century”, with every single member of the 100-strong panel picking him as one of their greatest sports people of all time. Both the Sydney Cricket Ground and the Adelaide Oval have had stands named in his honour, while even postage stamps and coins have featured his face. The word Bradman has become an archetypal name for sheer excellence over the years, with cricketers these days often being commended for their “Bradmanesque” performances. It is unquestionably safe to say that Australian Sir Donald Bradman fully deserves his place in the list of the top 3 sportsmen of all time.

Freddie goes next, once again presenting his "Hot Wire". This time round, he is writing about the different Graphics cards and CPUs and does his best to compare the various products. On top of that, he also talks about the PS3 and the console market in general. If you're interested in the latest news from the computer technology market, I'd strongly suggest that you begin reading right away!

Hot Wire

Fallout 3 and X3 Reunion have occupied many hours of free time this month and right now I’m torn away from my space travel capitalist ventures in X3 to come write about my other passion – technology and computer hardware. For this edition I’m looking to marry up my two loves by looking at how different CPU’s (dual core, quad core, old tech, new technology etc but no overclocking) affects different games. Meanwhile in Amdville they have launched the daddy of all video cards the ATI Radeon HD5970 which comprehensively claims the performance crown away from Nvidia. And away from PC’s I will charting the turn around in fortunes of Sony’s PS3 as of late and seeing what this means for the future of the Playstation brand.

Don’t pay to much attention to my photoshoped (actually I used Paintshop Pro) graphic of Intel’s logo, it was just a gag I came up with when Empire Total War first came out and it wasn’t multi-threaded (a multi threaded game means it uses more then 1 of the CPU’s 4 cores) and as a result large battles would chug along even on state of the art Core i7 CPU’s. However jokes aside it does raise an interesting question on just how your CPU can effect performance given the rise in importance of the ‘GPU’ over the last 10 years. Well just over a week ago Toms Hardware looked at this and needless to so I was quite surprised by the results by some of the results (you can read the full article here).

One of the question we often get ask in the Basement is ‘will my CPU bottleneck this video card’, when looking at results like this the question you should be asking is ‘I play games X, Y and Z. What can I expect in terms of performance from upgrading my video card A?’

When examining these graphs there is one reoccurring theme and that is AMD’s top end card doesn’t need as much CPU power to get the most out of it as Nvidia top card does. Also despite what my mock up graphic above says Intel’s Core I7 is seriously powerful chip as it consistently out performs Intel’s older Q9550 despite being clocked lower. Anyone who has a an older Core 2 Duo chip and is looking to upgrade should give some serious consideration to the Intel Core i7 920 due it’s excellent price/performance ratio.

AMD are on a roll at the moment one month after launching the fastest single GPU card on the market they have now officially launched the fast out and our GPU on the market. Based on two HD 5870 cores and clocked HD 5850 speeds the Radeon HD 5970 is by far and away the quickest card on the market money can buy (review here).

At an astonishing 12.5 inches long it requires an 8 pin and a 6 pin power connection and at maximum load it devours just under 300 watts of energy however if you read the review link above this is in fact LESS then what it’s closest rival the Geforce GTX295 uses.

Sadly however this card is suffering the same issues as AMD’s other top DirextX 11 cards have got and that is poor supply due to low yields of the 40nm process at the fabrication plant. And at this point I do have to question the logic behind AMD’s decision to launch this card now, the HD5870 is virtually overkill for every game out there on the market as it is and offers much better value for money the GTX295 so give the manufacturing issues AMD has with TSCM why have AMD put more pull on a chip that already can’t keep up with demand? AMD has now also played all of its cards for this generation allowing and now Nvidia knows what it has to compete against. In my opinion it would have been smarter for AMD to have fixed the issue with the 40nm process and clear up back orders of the HD 5870 and wait for Fermi to arrive first at which point they could have countered Fermi with the HD 5970.

It’s not often you will find me on the forums talking about Consoles but I can’t deny that as a teenager growing up through the 90’s the original Playstation was very much a part of pop culture and an icon of that era. Now for those of you who don’t know the PS2 is the best selling console of time so with that in mind any news regarding the PS3 is always bound to attract attention.

Before the PS3 was officially launched in 2006 I made a prediction about the PS3 and it’s future – Link

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie
    Not only will the PS3 never make Sony a profit I predict it will cause Sony to become very vulnerable to a takeover from one of it Japanese rivals. For the last couple years now Sony’s only profit making operation has been its games division, if you read their financial reports they are making losses on just about all other operations (especially there TV’s and film making exploits).
    That was over 3 years ago and the PS3 is still firmly in 3rd place in terms of hardware sales and Sony have racked up huge losses on the PS3 project running into billions of dollars. However a couple of months ago the PS3 had a bit of a re-launch, with a smaller chip and a new stylish slim line case and plenty of hype the PS3 fortunes as of late have seen it make a dramatic turnaround which just goes to show the magic of a bit clever market and design. Looks like Sony have taken a leaf out of Apples book!

However even with the new slimline case and reduced price tag the PS3 has a lot of catching up to do with the 360 (you can forget the Wii as it's sold far to many units to be caught up by the other consoles) Sony will need to continue ploughing cash into marketing the PS3 if it's to have any chance of ending it's life anywhere near to the number of PS1's and PS2's that have been snapped up by the consumer. Also Microsoft while this has been going on Microsoft has a trick up it's shelve in order to bring focus back onto the 360 called Natal which promises to completely change the way we play video games and looks to replace the good old control pad. Well I'm sure Sony will keep a close eye on this but like myself they probably see this as just another marketing gimmick, the control pad is as every part of console gaming as the mouse is to PC gaming i.e it will never be replaced and when it does it will be replaced by Star Trek style holo-decks!!!

Well that’s all from me for this show.

Live long and prosper.
    Freddie

Finally, I present to you a brand-new rant by the famous editorialist Lord Rahl. This time, Rahl writes about relationships and the different goals of men and women. What are they after when entering a relationship? But I will let Rahl do the explaining.

Rahl's Rants: Maybe You Didn't Hear...
    Rahl's Rants: Maybe You Didn't Hear...

This might come as a shock to some. Actually, I know that this will come as a shock to 99% who read this editorial. Here's the news that I'm breaking to y'all :Tiger Woods is in a scandal! I know what you're thinking right now. You're thinking that this is the freshest, most alarming news you've ever heard, right? Well, by now you've probably found out that I'm being sarcastic. Of course you've heard of the latest news with Tiger Woods. How could you not have heard it? It's been everywhere. Tiger Woods and this scandal has become more popular than Michael Jackson, Obama's plan for Afghanistan, and Jesus Christ(/The Beatles)!

Personally, I find the whole thing boring and not worth talking about. Because I always find humor in things, no matter what it is, I think that someone should have warned Tiger Woods about his wife. Why? Because she's not the American woman. She's a freaking Norse-woman, a Viking! Why does that matter? Because when an American woman (the exception goes to American white trash women) figures out that her husband has been cheating on her, she goes for the money. However, when a Viking woman finds that her husband has been cheating on her, she picks up the nearest weapon and attempts to beat the out of him! I personally think the latter is more awesome.

But why am I ranting on Tiger Woods and this scandal if I said it's not worth talking about? That's a question I've heard a lot of radio people talk about, and I've come to the same conclusion as many of them. I don't think this scandal is important because of Tiger. He's his own man and I think he should deal with it on his own terms and without everyone trying to stick their noses into it. Yeah, he's a celebrity and as such he should expect people to want to know about him and what he's doing, but I don't understand why people are so obsessed with this scandal simply to know more about it. Why should anyone care about just the scandal? I care for a different reason.

I care about the scandal because I think it sort of exposes what relationships are like, at least in the United States. Actually, I could be wrong about all of this but this whole Tiger scandal got me thinking about a lot of ambiguous, and perhaps ponderous to some, topics that deal with both male an female in relationships. It is my opinion that the American culture has slowly but surely undermined what relationships could and should be. With how men and women act these days it is no wonder to me how there is so much divorce, drama, and widespread infidelity in relationships.

The first opinion of mine that I'd like to state is that women in America are brought up believing that they need to be spoiled and get what they want. It used to be that women were the second-class citizens, to some point, and they strove to be "equal" with men, but now I think that evolution has become bastardized into women believing that they should get whatever they want. That's why they want a "sugar daddy", so they can buy whatever they want and need. They think that they deserve a sugar daddy. Why? I think it's because of what our society props up these days. That is, celebrity. American society today is all about celebrity. It's not about working for what you deserve. It's about getting everything just because you're the way you are. Take, for example, Paris Hilton. What good is she? She'd dumb and mildly attractive, but what has she done to deserve her fame? NOTHING, absolutely nothing. Everyone today thinks that they're "all that", that they provide enough to society solely from their personality. Well, except for the fortunate few, that's not the case. I think most guys are practical enough to understand that they aren't the next big celeb and so don't try to believe they are, but from what I see - especially on Facebook and Twitter, which makes anyone and everyone have the ability to let anyone and everyone else know what they're thinking/feeling - is that women think differently. For me, personally, I don't find females who act like celebrities very attractive. If she's down-to-Earth then I can appreciate her. I think that more females need to learn that you get what you get and you get what you (truly) deserve, not you get what you want if you whine or talk enough about it.

Talking about all of that leads me to my next opinion. It is, men get treated like crap. Yeah, we deserve it sometimes, but I get the feeling a lot of times that us guys get treated like crap just because we're guys. I think it is hard for men to get the credit that they deserve in relationships. From the relationships I've had, I've come to the understanding that a lot of women aren't satisfied no matter what I do. Maybe I sound arrogant, but in a couple of relationships I've had, I believe I put in a lot more into the relationship than my counterpart, however, it never seemed to be enough. Seriously, guys really don't want a lot from a relationship. We want sex and we want to be accepted. That's all. I don't think that enough girls realize that a lot of guys try as little as possible to get as much as they can get before ending the relationship to move onto the next. But why do guys do that? Guys act the way they do to girls, and I mean negatively, because of what they expect (I think). If guys expect the women they meet to want too much and (the guys) think they won't get as much out of the relationship as they think they deserve, then they'll end up trying to get the most, and that means sex, from the least amount of work.

Finally, I don't know if I'm making any sense from this rant, I think guys should stand up for themselves some more. We keep letting girls and sex control us and I believe there is a need for men to start acting more like real men. Real men don't settle for weak-minded and/or insecure women. Real men stand up against those types and pick real women who know how to appreciate a man and will give us respect.

To close...

GOOD HUNTING!

After all of these articles, I have some eyecandy for you guys as well. What better ending could there be than a beautiful girl? This time I went with a more conservative choice. Here is the classic beauty, Jessica Biel!

Page 3

That's all from us for now. Last but not least, I think it'd be worth mentioning that this year's Christmas Writing competition has begun. Details can be found here. Anyway, winter is approaching quickly so we wish you and your loved ones Happy Holidays in advance!

~Astaroth and the Helios Team

Last edited by Astaroth; December 07, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Default Re: Helios 45 - A Burning Desire

Well done guy's I should back with an article for the next issue, if my LR issues are ok
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Great articles everyone
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Ariovistus Maximus's Avatar Troll Whisperer

Great work!

Jin's interview was amazing.
    Land of the Free! Home of the

Saint Nicholas's Avatar No Avatar Specified

Great edition guys.
    "Muscovy", as its rulers have previously called it, is a sleeping giant, with age-old traditions and ways of doing things. Here, the feudal way of life has become so entrenched that the serfs are as tied to the land as cattle, and with almost as few rights. It is a vast, deeply conservative and religious country: Mother Russia and the Orthodox Church are the two pillars of national belief. The Tsar may be the father of his people, but by tradition and practice he is a stern parent. Ivan the Terrible was well named, and he has not been the only ruler with an iron will. Russia is the "Third Rome". The last bastion of Orthodox Christianity.

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

That's a nice issue there! I'd take it on a date.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Excellent articles everybody! And as always, I hope everyone enjoyed my article as much as I did writing it!
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

Well done everyone

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

A great job. Interviewing some of our more interesting members posting in the D&D is a nice idea. More original material and less copy and paste is appreciated!

Now some of you have some responsibilities for other publications with deadlines approaching. Get to work! You know who you are.

P.S. -- there is a writing competition sponsored by the Scriptorium. It is still not too late to pound out a great Christmas story. Compete! Receive medals!! Earn reputation points! Do it for the glory!

Last edited by Viking Prince; December 08, 2009 at 12:23 PM.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

that was pretty sweet. thanks for that.

Nikos. I'm getting a huskie now, you've convinced me! Everyone else. Nicely done, and Jessica Biel is definitely a winner.

Edit- VP, where do we find the rules and what not for the writing competition and where do we submit our story??

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Edit- VP, where do we find the rules and what not for the writing competition and where do we submit our story??
    The announcement on the top of each main forum page will guide you:

Scriptorium Christmas Writing Competition Announced!

Sumissions via pm to any Librarian.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

I think Lord Rakls opinions make some good points and worth of consideration to be major topics.

Society has the most blame for all that's going on, especially the Tiger Woods thing. Personally I don't watch T.V. and only became aware, when I went to the Gym one day, but it seems to me from observation that it is not the people who seem interested in the case, but it is the MEDIA who feeds the lion despite of a lack of interest from the viewers. There must be a term for this when the media makes a big deal out of nothing and sells it as being Huge.

Also about women controlling men, it seems to me that women are different in all aspects, especially sociocultural backgrounds play a big role in a relationship. If there's one thing I've learned is that there are women who just click right, but as human beings we're complex by nature and relationships are complicated, it is unfortunate to hear about fairy tales and prince charming's, because reality is a whole different manner, the problem is that society takes in these "fantasies" and includes them in society, and as a consequence we get the "sugar Daddy's" and "daddy's girl" and "OMG girls".

Is it our fault? are we to blame ourselves? as an individual? or as an entire race of people? the truth is that there's no one to blame and if there is something to blame it would include many different variables working together, it seems that as time changes our feelings and attitudes change, so maybe it is an evolutionary trait that makes us behave in such complex manner.