Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: The Europa Barbarorum Wonders Project

HAL9000's Avatar Laetus
    In a great city that no one seems to care about.

Default Re: The Europa Barbarorum Wonders Project

Is the rock of gibraltar already in? I can't remember... Presumably it would be called the Pillars if Hercules.
    Also, the fortress of Masada in Judea, and the Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The Temple of Jerusalem and the city of Petra are missing from that list.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    The Temple of Jerusalem and the city of Petra are missing from that list.
    Petra is one of the starting settlements and was far from a wonder at that time. Monumental artwork from the site dates back mainly to the first century BC to first century AD, the rest is even later.

Temple of Jerusalem should already be in, no? I'll check.

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

It's called Solomon's temple right?
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

dajarvi's Avatar Semisalis
    Marquette, Michigan, right on Lake Superior

Call me crazy, but Mount Zion would be pretty sweet!

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I am sure it has already been suggested but what about sanctuary of Apollo at Didyma ?

Tomb of Antiochus

http://www.learningsites.com/NemrudDagi/nemdagi-2.htm
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=nemrut

Antiochus I Theos of Commagene constructed a combined preemptive tomb for himself and sacred complex for the state religion, which was of his own invention and demanded the worship of Greco-Zoroastrian deities alongside members of his own family, past, present and future.

The birthday and mensiversary of Antiochus' coronation were celebrated as religious festivals atop the ziggurat, on the 16th and 10th day of each month, respectively. He celebrated himself as the god of happiness and goodwill and employed priests and musicians to perform at lavish festivals to his deities for all eternity.

Antiochus kept good relations with the Roman Republic, but after Commagene fell to the Roman Empire, Legio XVI desecrated the tombs and looted the wonder extensively.

Malakopea and Enegup Underground Cities

http://the-travelbunny.com/2013/01/0...d-city-turkey/
    http://www.goreme.com/kaymakli-underground-city.php

Malakopea, at least twenty stories deep and Enegup, only eight floors, but wide enough to house 3500 people, are connected by a five mile tunnel. Since their construction, they, like the hundreds of other underground cities of Cappadocia, served as refuges for common people, who could continue to raise livestock and practice trade in safety, while war raged on the surface.

The catacombs have been expanded and renovated throughout their long history, but from the earliest times, which are thought to be those of the Lydians or Medes, troglodytic residents have enjoyed spacious quarters, good ventilation, fresh water and unrivalled security.

Necromanteion of Ephyra

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4217034...57623349076134

Clad in cyclopean walls, which in ruin, accommodate deadly snakes, this oracle was used between prehistoric times and its destruction by the Romans in 167 BC, by priests of death, to facilitate the apparent journey of the living to and from the underworld. One such communion by Odysseus began as follows:

Odyssey, Chapter 11

[24]Thither we came and beached our ship, and took out the sheep, and ourselves went beside the stream of Oceanus until we came to the place of which Circe had told us. “Here Perimedes and Eurylochus held the victims, while I drew my sharp sword from beside my thigh, [25] and dug a pit of a cubit's length this way and that, and around it poured a libation to all the dead, first with milk and honey, thereafter with sweet wine, and in the third place with water, and I sprinkled thereon white barley meal. And I earnestly entreated the powerless heads of the dead, [30] vowing that when I came to Ithaca I would sacrifice in my halls a barren heifer, the best I had, and pile the altar with goodly gifts, and to Teiresias alone would sacrifice separately a ram, wholly black, the goodliest of my flocks. But when with vows and prayers [35] I had made supplication to the tribes of the dead, I took the sheep and cut their throats over the pit, and the dark blood ran forth. Then there gathered from out of Erebus the spirits of those that are dead, brides, and unwedded youths, and toil-worn old men, and tender maidens with hearts yet new to sorrow, [40] and many, too, that had been wounded with bronze-tipped spears, men slain in fight, wearing their blood-stained armour. These came thronging in crowds about the pit from every side, with a wondrous cry; and pale fear seized me. Then I called to my comrades and bade them flay and burn [45] the sheep that lay there slain with the pitiless bronze, and to make prayer to the gods, to mighty Hades and dread Persephone. And I myself drew my sharp sword from beside my thigh and sat there, and would not suffer the powerless heads of the dead [50] to draw near to the blood until I had enquired of Teiresias.

The site must have enjoyed considerable popularity among the superstitious Greeks. Periander, the great inventor and tyrant of Corinth, apparently used the oracle to ask his wife the whereabouts of some treasure, after he had murdered her, had intercourse with the dead body and buried her inadequately. The discussion concluded with both parties satisfied, at the expense of Periander's female constituents, who were gathered together under false pretences and forcibly stripped of their finest garments, which were burned in a pit, as an offering to the unhappy spirit.

I'd also suggest Mycenae and the Palace of Knossos, if those aren't in already.

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

So its been several years since this thread was made, so I'm assuming you guys have made up your mind of what wonders will appear. Can you tell us any of them? I'm still hoping for the Palace of Knossos. Quite an important part of Cretes ancient past. The Minoans are very interesting IMO.

Here is a question, will EBII use a marker on the map to show where each wonder is like in EBI? (Those stone circles)

Quote Originally Posted by James the Red View Post
    So its been several years since this thread was made, so I'm assuming you guys have made up your mind of what wonders will appear. Can you tell us any of them? I'm still hoping for the Palace of Knossos. Quite an important part of Cretes ancient past. The Minoans are very interesting IMO.
    They were also very much forgotten and buried in EB's time...

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

Definitely not forgotten. Where do you think they placed the myths of King Minos and the Minotaur?

CanOmer's Avatar Centenarius

Tombs of Lycia - Lycians, 5th century BC

Click on images to enlarge

All pre-Greek people of Anatolia built beautiful monumental tombs associated with some form of ancestor worship. The Lycians developed this form of art to perfection, no doubt facilitated by the soft limestone of the region. The quality of stonemasonry of the Lycian people is noteworthy and is especially significant in the construction of tombs. Today the entire landscape of Lycia is still dotted with their fascinating funerary monuments. The most recent count has revealed one thousand and eighty-five examples still intact, rock-cut tombs being the most common form. Lycia is famous for the sheer number of tombs and their quality.

One thing that sets Lycian tombs apart from Hellenistic tradition is that whereas in Hellenistic culture the dead were placed outside of liveable areas (often flanking main roads into the cities), Lycian tombs are often integrated right into cities, displaying Lycia's ties with eastern traditions. This is very noticeable, for instance, at Patara, where monumental tombs are proudly placed right alongside the harbor. A monumental temple-tomb is even located beside the huge imperial granary and the main trade center. The Lycians, in effect, were always living with their departed ones.

The Lycians seem to have held a belief that the souls of their dead would be transported from the tombs to the afterworld by a sort of winged siren-like creature, and so often placed their tombs along the coast or at the top of cliffs when they were not integrated into the liveable areas of the cities.

Further reading: http://www.lycianturkey.com/lycian_tombs.htm
    Short video about Lycian tombs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp5BXVb-gQc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hattush - Ruins of Hattian Capital, 12th century BC

The first "settling in" around Boğazköy took place in the 6th millennium BC during the Chalcolithic period, when small widely scattered hamlets appeared most particularly on mountain slopes and rocky outcroppings.

Late in the 3rd millenium BC, towards the end of the Early Bronze Age, a Hattian settlement developed, marking the beginning of continuous occupation at the site. The Hattians, native Anatolians, called their town Hattush.

During the Middle Bronze Age the Hattian occupation grew into a city of such significance that a Karum was established here in the 19th and 18th centuries BC - a trading post of Assyrian merchants who had come from Assur. With their caravans of donkeys they transported goods to and from Mesopotamia, and along their route they also dealt in local Anatolian products, thus stimulating a certain "globalization". It was these Assyrian traders who first introduced writing to Anatolia.

The ruins excavated demonstrate that the city of Hattush was burned down in a great conflagration around 1700 BC. Responsible was King Anitta from Kussar, who also put a curse on the site. But already by the second half of the 17th century BC the temptation to settle here again had obviously become overwhelming, for a Hittite king had indeed chosen the site as his residence and capital. The Hattian Hattush was now the Hittite Hattusha, and the king took the name of Hattushili, or "one from Hattusha." This is the beginning of the story of the Hittite capital and the Hittite Royals - until now, 27 kings are known by their names.

The Old Hittite city comprised an area of almost 1 square kilometer; it was protected by a massive fortification wall. On the high ridge of Büyükkale was the residence of the Great King, and the city lay on the slope below to the northwest, reaching to the valley below. In the course of time great effort was spent on the development of the Upper City. This area south of the Old City was included into the city limits through the erection of a new 3.3-km long defense wall with several monumental gates, thus bringing the size of the city to 182 hectares. Within the wall a great many large structures were built, among them many temples - houses for "the Thousand Gods of the Hatti Land". (Source: http://www.hattuscha.de/English/cityhistory1.htm )

The End of the Capital City Hattusha (ca. 1200/1180 BC)

With the decline of its great empire, the capital lost its influence and thereby also its role as a political, economic and religious center. Little by little its residents drifted away and certainly the last known Hittite king, the Great King Shupiluliuma II, son of Tudhaliya IV, did not remain in Hattusha to the bitter end. He may well have moved his court elsewhere, thus sealing the fate of the city.

Various complexes of the Empire period-the royal palace, certain temples, and stretches of the fortification walls among them-reveal signs of a fiery destruction. At least part of this devastation can only be attributed to the hands of an enemy. When the invaders entered the city, however, they must have found it nearly deserted, for the rooms destroyed by the fire had already been virtually cleared of their contents. Only what was worthless or stationary had been left behind. To the former category belong the records, the documents on file in the clay tablet archives; to the second, furnishings such as the huge storage vessels in the temple magazines.

Until very recently we were dependent entirely on speculation as to who was responsible for the final desertion of the Hittite city. No trace whatever had been found of invaders who took over the site and settled here. It was assumed that the Kashkans, the restless northern neighbors of the Hittites, had dealt the dying city the fatal blow. Finally in 1996 the small settlement of a foreign population was discovered on the ridge of Büyükkaya. These people, who were by no means Hittites, settled down here after the desertion of the city. With them begins the Iron Age history of the site.

The Hellenistic/Galatian Period

The Asian expedition of Alexander the Great marks the beginnings of the Hellenistic period in Asia Minor. Although at first it had little impact on Central Anatolia, in the first half of the 3rd century BC Celtic Galatian emigrants from central Europe settled here. The site of Tavium near the village Büyük Nefesköy some 20 km south of Boğazköy became the seat of the Trokmer clan, who took the land around Hattusha/Boğazköy under their control. Büyükkale once again became a fortified citadel, and a small village occupied part of what had been the Lower City. The painted pottery characteristic of the Galatians was recovered here, as well as vessels imported from the Hellenistic cities along the west coast.

Further reading: http://www.hattuscha.de/English/cityhistory2.htm

The Lion Gate

The Rampart of Yerkapı, Sphinxgate

Temple 5 with the King's Gate in the background

The King's Gate

Chamber 2, The Hieroglyph Chamber

The Royal Citadel of Büyükkale

More photos and reconstructions: http://www.hattuscha.de/English/citytour.htm
    Last edited by CanOmer; December 11, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
    My Submods For Europa Barbarorum II Clean Campaign Mini Map for EB 2.3 ;

CanOmer's Avatar Centenarius

Travertine Terraces at Phrygia

Deriving from springs in a cliff almost 200 m high overlooking the plain, calcite-laden waters have created at Pamukkale (Cotton Palace) an unreal landscape, made up of mineral forests, petrified waterfalls and a series of terraced basins. At the end of the 2nd century B.C. the dynasty of the Attalids, the kings of Pergamon, established the thermal spa of Hierapolis. The ruins of the baths, temples and other Greek monuments can be seen at the site.

Long Description
    This site is exceptional by vurtue of its superlative natural phenomena - warm, heavily mineralized water flowing from springs creating pools and terraces which are visually stunning. It is on this outstanding natural site that Hierapolis, an exceptional example of a Graeco-Roman thermal installation, was established. The Christian monuments of Hierapolis constitute an outstanding example of an early Christian architectural complex.
    Pamukkale, which literally means 'cotton castle', is the name the Turks gave to the extraordinary site of Hierapolis. The name was inspired by the preternatural landscape of bizarre forms created by calcite deposits from the hot springs that surface through a fault: mineral forests, petrified cascades and terraced pools of an immense natural nymphaeum. The ancients attributing healing powers to the hot springs (35 °C) equal to their power to metamorphose the landscape, they founded a thermal station on the site in the late 2nd century. The history of Hierapolis followed the same course as many Hellenistic cities in Asia Minor. The Romans acquired full control of it in 129 BC and it prospered under its new rulers. It was a cosmopolitan city where Anatolians, Graeco-Macedonians, Romans and Jews intermingled. The hot springs which attracted throngs of people 'taking the waters' also served another purpose: scouring and dying wool.
    Further reading: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/485/
    Last edited by CanOmer; December 12, 2013 at 08:22 AM.
    My Submods For Europa Barbarorum II Clean Campaign Mini Map for EB 2.3 ;

Yeah Lycian tombs, pretty a common sight here that locals no longer give any special attention

Samraat Mahendra Maurya's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by HAL9000 View Post
    Is the rock of gibraltar already in? I can't remember... Presumably it would be called the Pillars if Hercules.
    Also, the fortress of Masada in Judea, and the Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland.
    I presume they will have to find the Ancient name for each, i searched and the Giants causeway's old name was Clochán an Aifir which mean the stepping stones for the Fomoriansperhaps, they can translate that into ancient gaelic, if only we had known more about the ancient Irish and their language! To bad they didn't have writing
    Masada was one great fort!

Laetus

I don't know if it's still useful to make a new suggestion, but while I was in Jordan last year, I did an archaeological survey during which we discovered large amounts of villages, tombs and more of the like. The majority has prehistoric origins, but several structures are made by Safaites, a nomadic group of people living from the 7th century BC until the 1st century AD. Near the tombs that were Safaitic were several hundreds of rockart discovered, some only pictures of animals, others with Safaitic letters. This complex lies in the black desert in Jordan, approximately 20 km from the village of Azraq. The inserted picture shows a prehistoric kite also present in the area. Kites were traps meant to catch wild animals.Some of these are purely prehistoric, others have Safaitic or even medieval attachments.

The Mount Olympus is missing on the "Italy, Greece, Balkans" list.

Laetus

Hello,
    I apologize for my bad english. I would like to propose a wonder: Eurialo castle, situated in Syracuse and built by Dyonisus I, between 402 and 397 b.C.
    Some information:
    http://www.italyguides.it/us/sicily_...alo_castle.htm

Some information and images:
    http://www.regione.sicilia.it/benicu...=103&IdSito=74

Thanks team for the effort to EB2 team !!!

Hi all,

I have started to work in a model the "Idol of Gades". There are only descriptions from early medieval travelers but rather accurate. It's also mentioned in the Codex Calixtinus. To give an idea, based on the measures and description provided by muslim texts it should have been some sort of "mausoleum of halicanasus" type of thing with a base of 21x21x55 meters (x-y-z). Richly decorated with marbles and "red copper" pillars in the main body crowned with a 3m golden bronze statue on top covered in gold holding a key.

It's not completely clear if this is the same thing as later reformed Temple of Melkart or the old phoenician lighthouse. Unfortunately as there is no trace of any these things we'll never know.

this is a comtemporary representation of the old lighthouse. If you read the description from the texts this looks nothing like the Idol but just an ancient lighthouse from phoenician times and not roman as the Idol seems to haven been (IC BC to IC AD).
    http://books.google.es/books?id=WDfX...0cadiz&f=false
    The text (in spanish, sorry) describes some of the information from old sources.

Here some text with the original description in spanish
    http://www.catandur.com/2009/05/el-idolo-gaditano.html
    This is google translate trying its best with it
    The Andalusian writer s . XII al- Zuhri says " The idol of Cadiz was a beacon of hundred cubits high , built on its base, square, with rough , blackish and pumice worked perfectly , at the corners rested on columns of iron, lead and . red copper top of that parallelepiped stood another , a third of the size of the first, which featured a split upper pyramid, . every one of the triangles that formed was the extension of the sides of the square that served as base top of the pyramid was truncated and terminated in a horizontal slab of white marble two side spans on an anthropomorphic image that appeared wonderful naturalness , balance and size , his face turned to the west, where the Ocean and wrapped his body a blanket , protecting the north, extending his left arm with the index pointing to the entrance of the strait called al- Zuqaq , leaving the ocean and across Tangier and Tarifa, as if to show the way the right hand went below . cloak and wielding a stick closed which seemed to throw into the sea " ( in Zikr )

The al- Andalus GARNATI continuous description idol " has the left hand towards the Black Sea ( Atlantic Ocean ) and pressing a key. In this sea there are always waves like mountains, and no vessel may enter it for its many dangers. God knows best. " And Yaqut , an oriental who lived between the twelfth and thirteenth centuries concludes " the right hand of the figure appeared carrying a widespread attitude key to close the sea, pointing as if to warn : do not cross "
    Finally more details in this book in page 31
    http://books.google.es/books?id=N5pr...0cadiz&f=false

So, for the tl;dr people (i go in that group ) here is some sketch that I am going to follow to practise some Blender.
    If the .blend format is good at all for EB2 and the monument is relevant I would be happy to share the model when I finish it within this decade (I m struggling big time mapping materials correctly)

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

I'm not sure any building can make it into the mod without a relevant date of construction.