Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223

Thread: Most unhistorical thing you've done or seen happen?

Default Re: Most unhistorical thing you've done or seen happen?

In my United States campaign, my enemies the Iroquois confederacy were allied with the Marathas and in a spirit of friendship the Marathas traded a province in India for an Iroquois one in North America.

Mughal & Maratha just united against me when i took Mysore,
    Mysore was at war with Mughal and hostile relation with Maratha.
    first time i saw it in game and India didnt unite to throw out intruders historically either
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

Playing as the United Provinces, the United States invaded and took Flanders. I didn't have money or an an army in the region so I had to request peace and give them Alsace-Lorraine and Genoa.

What do you guys think of Morocco (already before the year 1710!) building super-armies of (cannonfodder)camel-cavalry, middle eastern arab sjeik look-a-like desert nomads armed with muskets and barbary (land) pirates armed with swords (crossing the Gibraltar sea strait on what i believe was a massive fleet of flying carpets or the standard very long magic bridge between the countries ) almost reaching the capital of the Spain province after their portugese allies had failed to take it the previous turn. (The Moroccans where eventually stopped in the bloody battle between cordoba and andalusia that would cause heavy casualties on both sides.)

Assuming that their first invasion force would capture spain and re-establish another great moorish empire the Moroccans simultaneously sended their great fleet of galleys and light galleys and 1 5th rate across the Atlantic Ocean that reached (after the pathetic small Spanish navy tried to stop them) the Spanish colony of Hispaniola and delivered their invasion force that then captured the capital Santo Domingo with very little resistance. Thnx to their Native Cherokee allies who in the mean time were constantly launching decoy attacks at Florida so the Spanish kept their main force concentrated in that area and therefore were completely catched by surprise when the Moroccans attacked their unprotected holdings.

what mod are you using ?
    in my games, Spain always destroy Morocco in a few years, and morocco never build an army

Quote Originally Posted by poa View Post
    what mod are you using ?
    in my games, Spain always destroy Morocco in a few years, and morocco never build an army
    Weirdly enough poa this was pure vanilla lol i was playing spain on vh/vh where the ai thnx to all the money will go completely mental on you just because you re the player and will even make alliances with other enemies so they can all bother you at the same time. I was really amazed to see the Morocco AI giving me that much of a hard time lol and even teaming up with my other sworn enemies like Portugal, the Cherokee and Savoy i believe creating 1 big international anti-Spain Alliance. I dont know if the campaign AI in this campaign became incredibly intelligent or just hated every inch of my guts that they wanted to kick my ass good that time but no matter what it was i liked it and i want to see it again and this time i will know how to handle it.

ah, i have some kind of love/hate relation with Spain, they have possible greatness,
    but the nightmare economy and abysmal relations makes it an ungodly slugfest initially

I am playing with I.S. combined with my own campaign adjustments and their ae only two crazy things; Italian States have one of the West Indies Islands and Denmark, has the most southeastern province in Russia. France destroyed the UP and have all of the German states except Bavaria, Hanover, and Wurttemberg. However, Prussia has Hanover. Russia has most of the Caucuses region, Poland has Transylvania, but loss West Prussia to Prussia. Norway keeps emerging and then later get destroyed only to reemerge. I am playing Portugal. I traded Goa for Jamaica when I too the Carnatic region. I also too Ceylon when UP was destroyed. It is around 1716 at the moment. I also took Cuba and Granada from Spain in the last of two words which I just concluded. The War with Spain was interesting. I took Salamanca near the border. then fought three huge battles (at least 65- 70 units were involved) the second battle I nearly loss when my right flank collapse. Fortunately, I had the wherewithal to have reserves. The last battle I repositioned and won easily. I withdrew after that.... I was still outnumbered 3/4 to 1. I got tired of fighting on the same ground. Spain never thought about invading. This is when I took Cuba. This is when I offered peace. I am feeling pretty good about the diplomacy aspect of the game, so I feel I do not have to make any adjustments there. (BTW, the Maratha would never will never go outside of India in my adjustments.... at least in theory they won't and haven't). I am still waiting to see the Europeans powers show an interest in India... UP being destroyed put a little damper on it.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

PikeStance mentioned that the Marathas never go outside India with Imperial Splendour combined with PikeStance's Campaign Overhaul mod (which I highly recommend - an excellent combination of mods). I recently saw an unusual cross-theatre invasion in the Americas involving troops from India - but they were neither Marathas nor Mughals. They were British!

Playing the United States with Early American Revolution (18K startpos, v1.05) and the improved AI which comes with Empire Total Factions, I was happy to see a British naval invasion from India to the Bahamas in 1759. As you can see from the unit cards below, this army includes six regiments of East India Company infantry. I had seen Britain take troops from Jamaica or England to attack the United States - I had not seen Britain bring an army from India to attack the US before.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Alwyn; December 22, 2014 at 03:08 AM.

I had the same thing happen in my campaign. The British brought troops from North America to attack and take Mysore. The only way to make this historical would be to have "company" units recruited within the home country. This could be made possible when you researched the technology. However, there would be no way to make the AI do this. I guess this is something CA would have to consider; units being restricted to specific theaters in the next hopeful rendition of Empire.

The impotent and useless King Carlos II of Spain managed to father a daughter, who turned out to be one of Europe's greatest ever monarchs presiding over Spain's greatest period of enlightenment, reform and imperial expansion...

Ottomans waging a naval war with Britain in the American Theatre.

As Prussia I saw Wurtemburg Defeat France (I later defeated Wurtemburg) and in the same game after defeating Poland Courland became the Knights of St Johns protectorat. I also early in the game took most of Austria's territory but decided to show mercy and left them with Transylvania. By 1750 they owned the entire Balkan Peninsular (except for Croatia), Istanbul and Anatolia.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I wonder how you feel about seeing a small faction defeat a major one. I quite like this happening occasionally - otherwise the game seems too predictable, if the major factions always defeat the smaller countries around them.

In my current campaign as Venice, Bavaria has been conquered and revolted successfully to reconstitute itself ... 3 times. It's been nabbed by Austria, Prussia, and France now. I think I'd stay away from there if I were the AIs.

One of the stranger things I've seen more than once is Poland being reduced to a single region, becoming a protectorate of ... wait for it ... The Knights of St. John, then receiving tech and money subsidies from me, to build and grow strong and dominate central Europe...but still be a protectorate of the Knights of St. John. (who all the time only ever control just Malta)

As Alwyn was stating, I find it very satisfying that a minor faction can beat a major one. Admittedly, the minor nations in Europe during the 18th Century were considered 'coinage' for diplomacy between the major nations (major powers regularly traded land for agreements and relationships - we'd just a lot more regions to pull it off accurately), which is why small nations often allied themselves with major powers (simulated mostly through the protectorate/alliance mechanic, as those 'alliances' technically had guarantees of military support should the minor be attacked (one seriously overlooked feature of diplomacy in ETW was the ability for a 3rd nation to negotiate relations between 2 other nations)), but it's always very satisfying to see one win, as the 18th Century was all too often an exercise in 'Might makes Right'.

unhistorical just cause what came to be by chance,
    Sweden was absolutely nothing before Gustav Adolf, who created a more efficient bureaucracy
    and started counting exactly how many able bodied men were born that could be enlisted.
    Preussia took example of how a more efficient use can make up for size & wealth

Meelis13's Avatar You fight like a cow!
    Citizen

Not counting my own exploits (Prussia), i had Russia making peace with Sweden & giving swedes 2 areas to very east of europe (that swedes later traded with me for Ingeria). The only area more east of that was given by russians to Turkey. Sweden also got area in Romania from Austria, while Austria somehow bargained Alsace-Lorraine & some indian territory out of french. Oh and im not even reached 1720 yet
    Heidinn veor- dark age mod for M2TW now recruiting scripter/coder

Poke.

Just had Ottomans trade Jerusalem to Iroquious.