Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Good 40K Novels

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Good 40K Novels

Crimson Fists were the first poster boys, then they were replaced by the Blood Angels who were replaced by the SMurfs. Besides, most GW employs have a raging
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    hard on
    for the UMs, so....

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinary Guardian View Post
    Crimson Fists were the first poster boys, then they were replaced by the Blood Angels who were replaced by the SMurfs. Besides, most GW employs have a raging
    hard on
    for the UMs, so....
    A fan story i found.

+++++

The following is an extract from Hidden Imperial Histories by Adept Voliusnius Brouyt
    +++++
    Of the many Space Marine Chapters that protect the good citizens of the Imperium none are as well respected, nor as admired the warriors of the Ultramarines. Such is the greatness of their deeds their stories are told on innumerable worlds, their reputation as the saviours of the Imperium of Man is both well deserved and proven, time and time again. Indeed such is their martial prowess that even other Astartes can only but compare themselves forlornly inferior to those that hold Guilliman's geneseed.
    This however occasionally leads to friction amongst some of the more bellicose chapters of Astartes that still stubbornly refuse to yeild to the wisdom of the blessed Codex Astartes. Such antagonism is best summed up with an anecdote from when the Ultramarines encounter with an obscure and ill-recorded chapter whom records merely identify as the [Angry??] Marines.
    This chapter had apparently chased a tyranid splinter fleet into Ultramarine space. Impressed by their sheer ferocity the blessed Calgar offered an invitation to their Chapter Master, a man known to history only as Kratos. However the invitation to meet their spiritual liege was responded to only with the head of hive tyrant on which was crudely scrawled an insulting cartoon of the Ultramarines 1st Company's defence of Macragge and images of male genitalia.
    Infuriated by such a blatant and insulting Snub, Calgar personaly took it to on himself to demand an apology from the arrogant Kratos, travelling to the offender's battlebarge's throneroom in person. Unfortunately he little expected the animalistic rage that would greet his justified demand for obeisance from the vile lesser chapter's Master and the argument between the two soon came to blows.
    Sadly the clash between the two occurred behind closed doors, with no clue exactly what words were exchanged. Yet when the doors opened again it was Calgar that was bloodied and bruised, with the sacred Gauntlets of Ultramar torn from his shoulders. Only the wise counsel of the Inquisition prevented him declaring immediate war against his unruly brethren, a war that would no doubt have cost the Imperium greatly before the Ultramarines inevitable victory. The story stands as a clear example of how refusal to follow the Codex only promotes discord and strife between erstwhile brothers.
    As to what occurred in the Angry Marine chambers, few can know, the only clue perhaps the jeering cry raised by the Angry Marines whenever they meet Ultramarines during campaigns. A nonsensical mantra of "STOP HITTING YOURSELF STOP HITTING YOURSELF", repeated ad infinitum. What such an idiotic phrase could mean a scholar can only guess at, perhaps it is merely an indication of the less than exemplary mental nature of non-codex Astartes.
    +++++

Quick advice. Avoid anything written by C.S. Goto at all costs. He is a terrible writer and butchers 40k lore.

Example: In one of his stories, human CHILDREN take out an Eldar Falcon Grav Tank by jumping on to it and stuffing ROCKS into its gun barrel, which destroys the tank when it opens fire. I stopped reading after that nonsense.

His books are a joke.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by billyboyjennings View Post
    Quick advice. Avoid anything written by C.S. Goto at all costs. He is a terrible writer and butchers 40k lore.

Example: In one of his stories, human CHILDREN take out an Eldar Falcon Grav Tank by jumping on to it and stuffing ROCKS into its gun barrel, which destroys the tank when it opens fire. I stopped reading after that nonsense.

His books are a joke.
    Never heard of that guy, but thanks for the warning, that sequence of events sounds awful enough
    I'm also thinking of reading Path of the Warrior , is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|9|Lord_Max View Post
    White scars just remind me of a Judas priest song with those bikes...
    Mongols + Bikes + Bolters = winna!

Quote Originally Posted by justicar5 View Post
    Mongols + Bikes + Bolters = winna!
    yeah

I am looking for the best WH:40K novel to get started on. I have read an Imperial Army novel called Fifteen Hours by Michael Scantlon. I am looking to continue with the Imperial Guard since I find them the most interesting of the races.
    Last edited by stupiddk; September 25, 2010 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    Never heard of that guy, but thanks for the warning, that sequence of events sounds awful enough
    I'm also thinking of reading Path of the Warrior , is it any good?
    Is that with the Eldar? Is it out? I wants it..I needs it!!
    stupiddk: The best you will find in 40k is Horus Heresy stuff...basically, they get more love than normal 40k books, because, hey, they decribe the most pivotal and tragical event of the entire 40k universe. Also, they tend to have a plot, which goes beyond the "Space Marines went there, pwnd everything, killed every last one of the chaos/xeno scum and then left whistling towards the West" like most 40k novels are. If you like Guard I also recommend the Gaunt's Ghosts series. You should also take a look at Chaos SM books, they are far better for the most part than those about their loyalist counterparts
    Last edited by Sanguinary Guardian; September 26, 2010 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stupiddk View Post
    I am looking for the best WH:40K novel to get started on. I have read an Imperial Army novel called Fifteen Hours by Michael Scantlon. I am looking to continue with the Imperial Guard since I find them the most interesting of the races.
    Well then, you should read all of the other Imperial Guard novels. As of December there will be nine available.
    Art //

Guys , I'm about to buy Redemption Corps AND Helbreach or Rynn's World.
    Advise which of the last two is best.
    Aron Demski Bowden ROCKS !

Please tell me if they're worth the buy before I loose all my lunch-money !

Rynn's World would be a must in my opinion seeing as it's a pretty big event for a well known chapter and in the 40k Universe in general. And Redemption Corps looks to be a lot of fun as well. And did you mean Helsreach?? Didn't find much to captivate me personally but I haven't read any 40k books but those are my opinions (still waiting for a book on Macragge ).
    Therefore I am I must - King of Dyslexia
    My Stories:Wolfmen - Henrick Gleeson - The Woman and the Bread Roll

Thanks for the reply.

I'm dealing with a first time ever low cash moment so I gotta pick my books wisely from now on

I would love to read something that also deals in minute detail with the Istvan III massacres.

If you want the Istvaan III massacre read the "Galaxy in Flames" from the Horus Heresy series. Generally HH series rules...
    For the Betrayal at Istvaan V pick "Fulgrim" also from the HH series...

Are they getting close to Siege of teh Emprah's Palace?

Nah, not yet...just up to Istvaan Massarcres, the splitting of the Dark Angels, the destruction of the Furious Abyss and the fall of Prospero....there are many books dedicated to individual Legions ("Legion" being one of them) and I think that trend will continue until all Legions are covered.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Ya, so sad that Blood Angels has no role for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Nah, not yet...just up to Istvaan Massarcres, the splitting of the Dark Angels, the destruction of the Furious Abyss and the fall of Prospero....there are many books dedicated to individual Legions ("Legion" being one of them) and I think that trend will continue until all Legions are covered.
    It is only fitting that my 666th post be about the Night Lords.
    I hope they do one about them ...

Legion is awesome, BTW

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Ya, so sad that Blood Angels has no role for now.
    We have all the role we need later.
    Night Lords...I do hope they will, they are easily the most interesting Legion...and most probably my second army.

We have all the role we need later.
    Night Lords...I do hope they will, they are easily the most interesting Legion...and most probably my second army.
    You don't seem like a Night Lords person.
    Art //

How so?