Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sweden - Discussion Thread

Default Re: Sweden - Discussion Thread

Narva was reallly a great battle. Wasnt it around 7000 men that won against 30 000 russians?

Salvo's Avatar Maréchal de l'Empire

No.
    14 000 vs about 50 000
    Great battle, amaizing victory...

Yea. It really was.

Laetus

The casualty ratio of the Battle of Narva was just ridiculous. The Russians lost 15000 men, and the swedes only payed with 662 of theirs.
    Granted, the elements and terrain were on their side, but such results against an enemy outnumbering you 5 to 1 is impressive by any standard.

At the time, Peter the Great was busy modernising his armies, but they were still woefully lacking in modern equipment and training. There are many accounts of battles between the Russians and the Swedes similar to those of the Battle of Narva, a Swedish force facing a Russian one of twice their numbre or more, and with the Russian casualties being horrendously high.

The Swedes did have luck with the weather. There was heavy snowfall when the Swedes attacked. Luckily, the wind blew towards the Russian forces. Bet they got loads of snow in their eyes
    "I came, I saw, and I didn't believe my eyes!"

Laetus

Yeah, and apparently the wind shifted really sudden. The russians had the wind in their backs and then it turned. Snow in your face and the next thing you know, you've got 8000 severely p-d off and horribly beweaponed swedes running at ya! Yikes!
    If it hadn't been for the weather, though, the battle could have been a Russian victory.

Agree guys
    There are many accounts of battles between the Russians and the Swedes similar to those of the Battle of Narva, a Swedish force facing a Russian one of twice their numbre or more, and with the Russian casualties being horrendously high.
    Levenhaupt i9n Livonia won few similar victories (he was good, although after Poltava he didn't command well)

That is a pity...

Yes
    After Poltava Sweds had still 14 000 soldiers Levenhaupt had orders to bring them to Crimea, but he didn't...He was afraid of 5 000 Russian cavalry

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Bla Hussars (1758):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

On December 19 1757, the baron Ungern-Sternberg mandated count Vutbus of Posseska Infantry and von Platen from Drottningens Livregemente to raise, by the end of April 1758, 2 hussar squadrons counting 100 men each.
    On June 20 1758, baron Wrangel raised a hussar regiment of 10 squadrons of 100 men each. The squadrons raised earlier by count Vutbus and von Platen were incorporated into this new regiment. Recruitment took place in Danzig and Lübeck, and partially in Sweden. The regiment was organised along the Prussian model and the language of command was German.
    On October 10 1761, the regiment contributed 5 squadrons to the newly raised Gula Husarenregiment while receiving an additional squadron. It now consisted of 6 squadrons for a total of 800 troopers.
    During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:

• since June 20 1758: baron Wrangel
    • from October 10 1761: count Vutbus

[edit]
    Service during the War In 1758, the regiment, raised in Pomerania, reinforced the Swedish expeditionary force operating against Prussia. On November 18, a detachment of the regiment was part of general von Lingen's force at the combat of Güstow.

Troopers were armed with a short, curved sabre, two pistols and a carbine.
    [edit]

Officers The officers had gold lace trim and buttons rather than yellow lace trim and yellow buttons.
    [edit]

Musicians Trumpeters wore uniforms similar to those of the troopers with gilt decorations replacing yellow braids and laces.
    Brass trumpets with yellow cords.
    [edit]

Colours This unit did not carry any standard.

Gula Hussars (founded 1761):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

On October 20 1761, baron Wrangel raised a regiment of “Yellow Hussars” counting 6 squadrons for a total of 800 troopers. The Bla Husarenregiment contributed 5 squadrons for the constitution of this new regiment. The regiment was organised along the Prussian model.
    During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:

• since October 20 1761: baron Wrangel

Troopers were armed with a short, curved sabre, two pistols and a carbine.
    [edit]

Officers The officers had silver lace trim and buttons rather than white lace trim and white buttons.
    [edit]
    Musicians Trumpeters wore uniforms similar to those of the troopers with silver decorations replacing white braids and laces.
    Brass trumpets with white and silver cords.
    [edit]

Colours This unit did not carry any standard.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; February 04, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

You may find this picture helpful:

ACMilan88's Avatar Semisalis

Here are some stuff i found on my HD, might be useful.

Thanks

Those mitre caps are awesome

I'm sorry but I couldn't just keep quiet after seeing someone posting reference pictures from the film "The Sovereigns servant", it makes me cry as a student of history, seeing how nothings historically correct about that film... at all.

Please, use these as sources instead, excellent pictures:

Swedish Cavalry - Battle of Poltava, note the young age (around 15 I would say) It wasn't uncommon that armies of the time had soldiers in them ranging from ages 14 to 60.

Swedish infantry, pike and musketeer - Note the "Karpus" on the pikemans head, also note the black scarfs wrapped around their necks.

Cavalry officer

Swedish Carolean with winter clothing.

Swedish grenadier - here also take note of the age.

Also take notice that all the infantry are equipped with swords - model 1686, made in some 350 thousand in numbers -, something which was very uncommon around the world but something the caroleans used with great effect due to their very offensive tactics.

Grea, thanks REP++

This grenadier is wearing an early mitre cap. After the the great northern war, the swedish grenadiers used brass plate mitres as the prussian grenadiers.

TheGeat's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Vasa121 View Post
    This grenadier is wearing an early mitre cap. After the the great northern war, the swedish grenadiers used brass plate mitres as the prussian grenadiers.
    This guy has alreade been made in Danovas "Poltava mod", i assume that you already know that though.

Yup, I have that mod

Excellent pictures.
    We will make them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12