Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Medieval II Steam FAQ

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Steam FAQ

Aspect ratio it is.

Good to know. Thank you for the info.

you're welcome...and hope it helps others...now i'm looking to see if my monitor can run another aspect ratio.

Good luck with it.

SOLUTION TO ONE OF POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR CRASH AT LAUNCH WITH MESSAGE "GAME ENCOUNTER UNEXPECTED ERROR AND WILL NOW EXIT"

Ok im back and after a year finally found the solution...don't know if this has been answer before in this forums or other forums but after a year of searching I found a solution on my own...

You will have to ad this solution if your having this problem of the game crashing at startup, I had this issue with this game and after launch it gave me the error message "game encounter unexpected error and will now exit" it also affected another game of mine "Dirt"

So after going trough the list of possible causes and solution, I found a new one and a solution. here is the list of things that I went before this solution...you have to do it also.

1) Check that the motherboard drives are up to date and according to your operative system (if its windows 7 you have to install windows 7 drives for your motherboard)
    2) Check that the game is not being block by your security software and its allowed in the firewall...also you may try a reinstall of the game with the security system turn off.
    3) Try a new reinstall of Steam if this is a steam game (uninstall first do a Ccleaner of registry and reinstall steam and then the game)
    4) Make sure that steam in not being block by security software of firewall
    5) Update graphic card and check if it is compatible with the game or mets the minimum requirements of the game.
    6) Try running game with all other running programs turn off
    7) Make sure your Operative system is up to date with the automatic updates and that your meting the minimum system requirements of hardware and software.

If you have try that and done that, there is this final chance to make the game run. and this is what i'm adding to the list.

8) the problem may be your screen resolution and in specific the refresh rate of your screen.
    In my case my screen was running in its native resolution of 1280 x 720 with refresh rate of 60hz
    SOLUTION
    My solution was to create a second customize resolution of 1280 x 720 refresh rate of 75hz, I did this with my nvidea card that has the option of changing resolution I also adjusted the desktop size and position to scaling full screen, but this is just for the game to luck good, actually it opens fine just by changing the REFRESH RATE TO 75hz

If you don't have a graphic card that does this you may also try on windows 7 to change the screen resolution/advance settings/list all modes and see if there is one with 75hz...

That did the trick for me and hope it helps all that are desperate and haven't found an answer...I'm now enjoying after 1 year Total War Medieval 2 and Dirt 1 and Dirt 2....so enjoy and hope it works.

Hi, last night i downloaded medieval 2 kingdoms from steam again after having deleted it a year ago or so. Unfortunately this time i got an error mentioned about twice earlier in this thread ''Unhandled exception has occured in your application''. After trying a load of stuff from googling that error in google (including uninstalling and reinstalling the .net program), i eventually tried to install the new launcher in the OP. The launcher has managed to stop the error occurring, but now when the launcher is started i get:

M2TW path: 'not found'
    ''medieval2.exe' not found! Medieval 2 TW needs to be installed.

Does this mean I need to install M2TW as well as kingdoms in order to just play Kingdoms? Pleas help me find out what I've done wrong, I've spent about 4 hours trying to fix this Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by person on steam
    "There is an easy fix for that:
    1. Go to your regedit and find:
    -edited out because the forum is rejecting my post-
    2. Add key with the name AppPath and as property fill in
    the path to your medieval II installation:
    --edited out because the forum is rejecting my post-
    3. Start the replacment Launcher and enjoy the silence ."

Is there any chance someone could explain to me how exactly you do step 2? I've managed to get the regedit program to create a folder (or key) called AppPath, but how/where do i fill in the M2TW path as the 'property'? When i right click the new folder/key it doesn't seem to offer any options where i can put that path in, other than to just rename it.... help me please

What version of windows?
    The best way to get a clean install of this is to uninstall the game, delete all traces, run a good free registry cleaner to do what CA's uninstaller never has, reboot, and reinstall.

Windows 7. Hoping i don't need to re download the whole game again
    Is there a guide on how to uninstall the game properly?

There never has been a guide for uninstalling properly because CA never bothered to make an uninstaller that has actually worked as advertized and the rest is word of mouth from players' experiences.

You have Kingdoms on Steam. What about Medieval2?

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    There never has been a guide for uninstalling properly because CA never bothered to make an uninstaller that has actually worked as advertized and the rest is word of mouth from players' experiences.

You have Kingdoms on Steam. What about Medieval2?
    Sorry I took so long to respond, irl problems

I only downloaded Kingdoms, not Medieval2. Thanks for the reply.

Yesterday, I had an annoying issue with the Battle Editor not resolving the landscape textures while everything else worked ok. MTW2 Kingdoms worked fine in every other way during battles and on the strat map. I had made no changes in the graphics settings, but a recent patch of my NVIDIA card made me suspect that was at fault.

After removing the NVIDIA program and reloading it from scratch, the Battle Editor was identically the same.

So in Steam, there is a setting that allows you to verify the local cache. I've not found this to work well. Steam will automatically try to update your files, and if you mod at all, then this could play havoc with your changes and cause corruption. You can disable those updates. When you have an issue that you suspect is Steam related, for it does patching frequently, then you can try verification of the local cache, and will probably see at least four file errors. Steam will then try to reload those corrupted files, but sometimes you might have to try upwards of four times to get all of them to be repaired.

The ugly part of Steam for modders is that since this happens, you might backup your mods into another directory, then delete your Steam MTW2 folder, then start fresh with a new installation of MTW2 that is pristine. That's what finally fixed the Battle Editor for me. That's particularly irritating because it means copying the mod folders back and hoping they work, or if not, then reloading each mod, and then copy and pasting the changed mod tweeks that you personally made into the mod folders in Steam.

Having fiddled with this nonsense since 2007, I can tell you that MTW2 and Steam are a bad combination if you plan on modding at all. However, had you purchased those DVDs with the program, chances are high they would be scratched even with the best care after so many years of ownership.

Remember that after doing a fresh installation, that the MTW2 config file will have changed and you may need to do things like this to get the Battle Editor to work again:
    [features]
    editor = 1

As a result, it's worthwhile to copy your MTW2 config file into that backup first before making the attempt.

Note: Steam monitors your MAC address which is a unique identifier for your Wifi modem. When you switch computers, Steam knows this and will lock you out until you go through a security procedure to verifiy ownership (by email). Then you'll be allowed to redownload your purchased software.

You don't have to be online to play games, as you can go "offline", but it still requires a connection from time to time for verification procedures. Which is a pain if you happen to be somewhere that there isn't a WiFi connection. When using a laptop and playing MTW2, then the WiFi being on during gameplay adds heat. It also helps drag down the framerate. Once you connect and the launcher boots to the MTW2 selection for mod choices or the vanilla game or mods, then you can turn off your WiFi. Many folks have a switch to do this with a transmit signal identifying it.

You likely have set some programs to auto-update. If your WiFi is turned on, then they will poll to see if a patch is available, and you do NOT want that happening while you're in the midst of a battle. It's always better to turn your modem off to prevent this happening.

Remember that the easiest way to make mods work in Steam is Squid's launcher tool. It makes registry changes extremely simple, which then updates the MTW2 launcher and allows you to play those newly installed mods quickly. For modders who use Steam, this means you can easily have multiple versions of mods with slightly different names, which you then can make tests to see if one change responds better than another. That's very useful.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; April 02, 2014 at 03:45 PM.

After this latest Steam patch and a quickfix, then there's a way to get your mod to run, but it's a little tricky.

First check your Steam client ID. Go to Steam, right click on MTW2, and then properties. Then click on Local Files. It should display a build number and the latest stable build is 334162. That's highly subject to change due to the debacle of multiplayer switching to Steam and not Gamespy, with multiple sound effects and music issues as well as weird mod units showing up.

The old Kingdoms Launch is GONE. Now it was a particularly rotten piece of code because it would hang up and have to be forced off by the task manager. But the good thing about that old launcher was that it allowed any number of mods to be loaded into the menu so this helped modders.

To do that, a modder had to either learn how to regedit (alter the registry to insert the cfg files into the Kingdoms Launcher menu) or use Squid's tool. Neither work now, for there is no launcher anymore in Steam.

The way to fix it in the short run is this
    . That's running a non-Steam game through Steam, which will then create a menu item in Steam, and you then right click on the new menu item, and then send that shortcut to the desktop. This is, for now, the best way to get multiple mods into the Steam menu and/or send desktop icons to directly get the mods to run.

Since the patch isn't stable and functioning, partially due to CA/Steam releasing the multiplayer patch, and partially due to some unknown mod sound design issues (read the rest of the link), then it's inevitable for there to be further patching before all of this gets worked out.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Hi,

I couldn't get the game working under various configurations. I'm trying to run the windows version of the game under Playonlinux (wine versions 1.8 to 2.3) but what I see is only some color changes in the screen with music. I'm able to click things but can't see anything than colors... I think being able to change the resolution to my laptops native resolution could help... How do I change the resolution under steam installation? There is no medieval2.preference.cfg file. Not even any *.cfg files.

The laptops I tried to run have following specs: ubuntu14 + i5 Cpu + HD4000 graphics, other one: ubuntu16 + some pentium dual core Cpu + gma graphics. The steam linux version shows only splash screen.

The last thing I'm going to try is install windows under VM

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

This question is probably best asked in the Linux subforum here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...ar-Linux-stuff

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    This question is probably best asked in the Linux subforum here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...ar-Linux-stuff
    Thanks

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: Medieval II Steam FAQ

I thought to share how to launch the Medieval 2 TW Kingdoms expansion. Just double click on the Medieval 2 TW in the game list in Steam and a mini game selector will popup.

The same thing applies for Rome TW too.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

I installed on steam and know there is no hotseat mode, any ideas?
    “Its been said that when human beings stop believing in god they believe in nothing. The truth is much worse, they believe in anything.”
    Malcolm maggeridge

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

There is no hotseat mode in the disk version either, only online multiplayer. It requires some modification. Check my set up to see how it would look.

How can i delete the kingdoms campaing from steam installation. I want to delete all except just one campaing so i can play mods that needs kingdoms. I want to uninstall cause i dont play any of them and need some more space .

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast