Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Medieval II Steam FAQ

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Steam FAQ

Go through the menues in Steam for offline if it exists for Medieval2. You have set it after logging in.

Ok, when playing this game I can play it fine. When I quit and try to play kingdoms it says that i can't something need to be closed? So how do you fixed this?

Check what is still running in Task Manager.

It is the launcher is there a way to keep it from happening?

No, the game uses the launcher in Steam version.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=523952 Post #7 is a link to a launcher replacement.
    Last edited by irishron; March 08, 2012 at 12:02 PM.

So with this launcher can I end a game then play another without this launcher saying you need to end it?

Dunno, try it. It's supposed exit normal, any way. THis member made this in .Net to make it work better. Hopefully it does.

So it's ok to use it won't steal any information will it?

thanks again with all the help

What, the launcher replacement? It won't steal anything. One programmer has already checked his code.

Yeah, I was talking about the launcher so yall check the code? So there nouthing in it that would steal information about your account?

Why would there be? The is no more info than there is in CA's launcher and it had none.

Ok, thanks for the information, and also for checking the code.

thanks
    Last edited by quite; March 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM.

When trying to launch the launcher, I get this problem:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
    ************** Exception Text **************
    Error in the application.
    -2147024770 (Unknown)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.Audio.Open(String fileName, Boolean autoRun)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.Audio..ctor(String fileName, Boolean autoRun)
    at Launcher.LauncherMainForm.ApplySkins()
    at Launcher.LauncherMainForm.LoadSkins()
    at Launcher.LauncherMainForm.LoadLauncher()
    at Launcher.LauncherMainForm.LauncherMainForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/fra...2/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    System
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/syst...089/system.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/syst...em.drawing.dll
    System.DirectoryServices
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/syst...ryservices.dll
    System.Messaging
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/syst....messaging.dll
    System.ServiceProcess
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/syst...iceprocess.dll
    System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/syst...ystem.data.dll
    Launcher
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2669.20298
    Win32 Version: 1.0.2669.20298
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Me...r/launcher.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/syst...dows.forms.dll
    CoreLib
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Me...ar/CoreLib.DLL
    SkinLib
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Me...ar/SkinLib.DLL
    AxInterop.SHDocVw
    Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Me...op.SHDocVw.DLL
    Interop.SHDocVw
    Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Me...op.SHDocVw.DLL
    Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/acce...essibility.dll
    UpdateLib
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Me.../UpdateLib.DLL
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/syst...system.xml.dll
    Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
    Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/micr...eoplayback.dll
    Microsoft.DirectX
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
    Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/micr...ft.directx.dll
    ************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
    application or machine (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.
    For example:
    <configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>
    When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
    rather than being handled by this dialog.

What do I do?
    Also sorry if this is not the apropriate post, i'm new here

Could you ever start the game?

AWRA's Avatar Libertus

Currently getting ready to buy new computer and one option is to have it come with Steam pre-loaded along with Portal. Some questions and concerns.

Somehow something tells me not to have it come pre-loaded and that Portal might be trouble.

The only thing I want with Steam is to be able to play S2 - a different forum area I know, if I understand right it stays on all the time right? - like windows update with no control.

Have all original disks for all of the TW series up to MTW2 and Eras - never Empired, Napoleoned.

If you have Steam pre-loaded or get it does it leave alone the disk loaded games?
    "I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin."

Quote Originally Posted by AWRA View Post
    Currently getting ready to buy new computer and one option is to have it come with Steam pre-loaded along with Portal. Some questions and concerns.

Somehow something tells me not to have it come pre-loaded and that Portal might be trouble.

The only thing I want with Steam is to be able to play S2 - a different forum area I know, if I understand right it stays on all the time right? - like windows update with no control.

Have all original disks for all of the TW series up to MTW2 and Eras - never Empired, Napoleoned.

If you have Steam pre-loaded or get it does it leave alone the disk loaded games?
    I'll admit that I don't have the most intimate knowledge of Steam but I do know that the app can be disabled so that it is not always auto-updating. I'm relatively sure that you as the user can specify when and how it updates as well. I'm also pretty sure the user can disable the app at will through the Start bar. Steam isn't a run-away app like some these days...

Now for the next question. Are you buying this build from a custom house that is offering Portal pre-loaded as an incentive to buy? Generally pre-loads aren't worth the trouble as you'll get quite a bit of bloat ware. But this is a question only you can answer - do you want to play Portal, have it automatically installed on your system and pay the premium to the build maker to install it? That's entirely up to you....

As to your last question - Steam and the older Creative Assemblies titles do not always get along. The good news is that there are a number of workarounds to make the games work - it just takes some patience and diligence. There are a number of people on this board that are more familiar with those issues though so I'll deffer to their judgment. Good luck!
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort

AWRA's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
    I'll admit that I don't have the most intimate knowledge of Steam but I do know that the app can be disabled so that it is not always auto-updating. I'm relatively sure that you as the user can specify when and how it updates as well. I'm also pretty sure the user can disable the app at will through the Start bar. Steam isn't a run-away app like some these days...

Now for the next question. Are you buying this build from a custom house that is offering Portal pre-loaded as an incentive to buy? Generally pre-loads aren't worth the trouble as you'll get quite a bit of bloat ware. But this is a question only you can answer - do you want to play Portal, have it automatically installed on your system and pay the premium to the build maker to install it? That's entirely up to you....

As to your last question - Steam and the older Creative Assemblies titles do not always get along. The good news is that there are a number of workarounds to make the games work - it just takes some patience and diligence. There are a number of people on this board that are more familiar with those issues though so I'll deffer to their judgment. Good luck!
    Polecat - thanks for response. I'd be buying computer from DELL from their customizations, but it looks like their options have shifted in just last couple weeks, its now just Steam available. My concern is that when you get it preloaded Steam you spin off into all kinds of hell when you try to load S2 and it chokes on sorting out that you already have Steam. I think I'll be going with Steam not loaded.

I am familiar with some of the threads having to do with Steam and for that matter Win7 - mostly want to be able to play S2, but still play MTW2, Kingdoms, and especially TATW.

As a sidebar mainly trying to get best new computer bought before the Win8 is force fed on us, when we know that every other MS op system is crap or has been for some time, and as I understand Win7 is pretty good, so if pattern follows . . . After all its all about salaries anymore, not if stuff works.
    "I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin."

Quote Originally Posted by AWRA View Post
    Polecat - thanks for response. I'd be buying computer from DELL from their customizations, but it looks like their options have shifted in just last couple weeks, its now just Steam available. My concern is that when you get it preloaded Steam you spin off into all kinds of hell when you try to load S2 and it chokes on sorting out that you already have Steam. I think I'll be going with Steam not loaded.

I am familiar with some of the threads having to do with Steam and for that matter Win7 - mostly want to be able to play S2, but still play MTW2, Kingdoms, and especially TATW.

As a sidebar mainly trying to get best new computer bought before the Win8 is force fed on us, when we know that every other MS op system is crap or has been for some time, and as I understand Win7 is pretty good, so if pattern follows . . . After all its all about salaries anymore, not if stuff works.
    Win7 is likely the last build by MS to be truly stable for awhile if history holds true. It looks like Win8 is moving to the smart phone mentality - touch screen interface, simple and intuitive GUI and open sharing. Useful for tablets but not necessarily desktops. It definitely won't be like the Desktop OS's but it is the future I'm afraid. But if their move with Windows CS and Vista is any guide then the product launch will be rocky and will have more holes than Swiss cheese....

As for your own circumstance - Dell is good enough if you don't have the expertize to build your own. Are you buying through Alienware? But there are other options. You can always buy a standard pre-built case and take it to a Mom-and-Pop store to upgrade. Or you can buy the parts for the best gaming system imaginable from an Internet outfit like Newegg, take it to the same Ma'and'Pa store, have them build your computer and install Win7 on the system. Both methods are more expensive than simply building your own but not much more than buying from the main brands. You'll also get more control over your build this way. Good luck!
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort

AWRA's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
    Win7 is likely the last build by MS to be truly stable for awhile if history holds true. It looks like Win8 is moving to the smart phone mentality - touch screen interface, simple and intuitive GUI and open sharing. Useful for tablets but not necessarily desktops. It definitely won't be like the Desktop OS's but it is the future I'm afraid. But if their move with Windows CS and Vista is any guide then the product launch will be rocky and will have more holes than Swiss cheese....

As for your own circumstance - Dell is good enough if you don't have the expertize to build your own. Are you buying through Alienware? But there are other options. You can always buy a standard pre-built case and take it to a Mom-and-Pop store to upgrade. Or you can buy the parts for the best gaming system imaginable from an Internet outfit like Newegg, take it to the same Ma'and'Pa store, have them build your computer and install Win7 on the system. Both methods are more expensive than simply building your own but not much more than buying from the main brands. You'll also get more control over your build this way. Good luck!
    Polecat:
    From your comments my fears are shared. Wonder if everybody will figure out that sometimes a desktop is useful and what's needed. In my work I hate it when I get black-berried - spend a bunch of time writing out something that has complexity and then they want a dumbed down version, ask questions that were answered, or ask for a resend. Some times you have to sit down like an adult and read the old fashioned way.

My situation - mostly its time and who I can trust - don't know some mom & pop and my knowledge level of pitfalls is limited. I went Alienware Aurora/GTX680 - lower end processor but still OC'd to 4.1, 16 RAM, 500 SS drive coupled with 1TB storage. Monitor 27" ultrasharp - looking forward to the 2560 x 1440. For the first time I'm getting home install - maybe avoid the BSOD problem associated with the 680 card and Alienware - doesn't seem to affect everyone though.

Guess I ended up off topic from Steam - hope the mods don't yell too loud. Oh yeah - did not include Steam pre-loaded in the purchase.
    Last edited by AWRA; July 23, 2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added comment

If you're happy with it, not a peep from me. Good luck with it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast