Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Medieval II Steam FAQ

Default Medieval II Steam FAQ

Hi,

I've had numerous Steam issues, as have other Steam users who attempt to either run Medieval War 2 or Kingdoms and I have an idea that I hope a moderator sees and follows through on. I thank the twcenter.net community members for answers my questions in the past. In many cases Steam issues consist of six general questions:

1. Do we need to patch our Steam version to run mods?
    2. How to install a certain mod into the load-up screen in order to select it and boot into that particular mod?
    3. Why am I getting script errors in Steam and the message : Too many users in the SQL database.
    4. What is user access control, and why do I need to turn it off to run MW2 or Kingdoms through the Steam platform?
    5. I have a steam version and my "Launcher.exe" gives me issues, like the looping intro music plays even when the game is launched.

As far as I know the answer to the questions are as follows:

1. Do we need to patch our Steam version to run mods?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Answer: No. Steam automatically patches the games. You don't need to go to Creative Assemblies site to patch it, and if you do download the patch, it won't run the patch anyways.

2. How to install a certain mod into the load-up screen in order to select it and boot into that particular mod?

Spoiler for obsolete\outdated method
    Answer: Use the Kingdoms Launcher Editing Application created by Sqυιd. There are one things to look out for when setting up a mod to run with the Steam Launcher: The mod folder must not have any space in the name. So when you install a mod into the mod folder check its name before running the Kingdoms Launcher Editing Application and remove any spaces from the name. (e.g. TATW is OK, but Third Age Total War is not)

Since the latest update Steam does not use a launcher anymore, nor can you add mods to it's Library list. Use this method to get your mod started: Creating a World - Starting M2TW Mods the easy Way

3. Why am I getting script errors in Steam and the message : Too many users in the SQL database.

Answer: No idea on this one. I'm currently having this issue, andit's frustrating me immensely. I love the Custom Campaign Mod/Retrofit Mod. I downloaded them initially from the scripts found in the Steam platform, where they linked to a Steam version that properly loaded the program. I'd love help on this one.

4. What is user access control, and why do I need to turn it off to run MW2 or Kingdoms through the Steam platform?

Answer: The short answer is that user access control interferes with the running of MW2 or Kingdoms. It will crash if turned on. The easiest way to turn off User access control is to:http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

or simply, run msconfig from the Run command, click on tools, click on disable UAP, click launch, click on reboot, and it's turned off.

5. I have a steam version and my "Launcher.exe" gives me issues, like the looping intro music plays even when the game is launched.

Since the latest update Steam does not use a launcher anymore
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 16, 2017 at 06:03 AM. Reason: updated point 2 and 5

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: Steam FAQ

Cleaned up and updated this FAQ.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Hi I downloaded the total war games M2TW and kingdoms off of steam. That was all fine followed the way to get the Third age from the main forum where the download is. I even followed the steam version. When I click the launcher which was recommended to download (net frameworker) it says ''Unhandled exception has occured in your application''....This is on the launcher I then just continue through it and on the mods list in steam the mod isn't there.
    By the way every time it asked for file location I did the one you told me and the forum just in case and it still doesn't work.
    Like wtf does that all mean.
    Thanks if you can help

************** Exception Text **************
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Mods\Official\0004Third_Age_2.1' is denied.
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)
    at KingdomsLauncherApp.LauncherEditorForm.WriteSingleKey(ModDetails modDetails)
    at KingdomsLauncherApp.LauncherEditorForm.MnuFileNewClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4952 (win7RTMGDR.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Fra...7/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    KingdomsLauncherApp
    Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Luke/AppData/Local/...ads%5B2%5D.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL...dows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL...089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL...em.Drawing.dll
    Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by luke1234 View Post
    Hi I downloaded the total war games M2TW and kingdoms off of steam. That was all fine followed the way to get the Third age from the main forum where the download is. I even followed the steam version. When I click the launcher which was recommended to download (net frameworker) it says ''Unhandled exception has occured in your application''....This is on the launcher I then just continue through it and on the mods list in steam the mod isn't there.
    By the way every time it asked for file location I did the one you told me and the forum just in case and it still doesn't work.
    Like wtf does that all mean.
    Thanks if you can help

************** Exception Text **************
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Mods\Official\0004Third_Age_2.1' is denied.
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)
    at KingdomsLauncherApp.LauncherEditorForm.WriteSingleKey(ModDetails modDetails)
    at KingdomsLauncherApp.LauncherEditorForm.MnuFileNewClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4952 (win7RTMGDR.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Fra...7/mscorlib.dll
    KingdomsLauncherApp
    Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Luke/AppData/Local/...ads%5B2%5D.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL...dows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL...089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL...em.Drawing.dll
    Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility
    Are you logged in as Administrator?

hmmm I don't know I just bought this laptop I always assumed you are. My first dealings with windows 7. I went into command promp and typed this ''net user administrator /active:yes''...It says access denied.

also why is it saying things about windows 32 version when I have 64 installed?

One of the things about learning a whole new Windows version.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=397636 should help.

Hmm I am a newbie to mods seeing as this is my first...do you have any idea what else it could be...btw I am running as admin now.

Just found it after a few hours of looking. Somone said to just switch the name of americas and third age and it worked NICE!!!

feel free to delete my posts its kind of messy now.
    Last edited by luke1234; December 12, 2010 at 08:26 AM.

Hi,

Steam user here. I've tried Westeros and Custom Campaign and with both I get a fatal error when trying to load the mods. I did my own reg key entries for Westeros and used ones provided on these boards specifically for CC. Anyone else get these fatal error messages? Any idea how to fix these? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Luneleger View Post
    Hi,

Steam user here. I've tried Westeros and Custom Campaign and with both I get a fatal error when trying to load the mods. I did my own reg key entries for Westeros and used ones provided on these boards specifically for CC. Anyone else get these fatal error messages? Any idea how to fix these? Thanks!
    What is the fatal message? Can you post a screen shot?

Hi,

I have bought Medieval2 TW from Steam. I want to learn my cd-key but i couldn't figure out how can i do that.
    How can i learn my Cd-key?

-------------Leader of the AP mod-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Elvasat View Post
    Hi,

I have bought Medieval2 TW from Steam. I want to learn my cd-key but i couldn't figure out how can i do that.
    How can i learn my Cd-key?
    Read your thread.

I'm having a problem with the launcher i can't my kingdoms selection and its all white. it gives me a connection error for some reason i don't have a firewall up

Verify the game's cache?

Hi I have been a lurker on these boards for a while now. I am having trouble with a re-install of MTW2 and kingdoms. The problem was that the launcher would not load up, so i contacted steam support and they told me to go into steam/steamapps/common/MTW2 and change medieval2.exe to launcher.exe and to change launcher.exe to launcher_old.exe.

That worked in allowing me to launch MTW2 but not kingdoms and the launcher would not load.

I tried a re-install with my anti-virus and firewall off but it still didnt work, and now the launcher.exe medieval2.exe and launcher_old.exe are in the MTW2 common folder and i get an application error that looks like this.

I guess that screen shot didn't work the code was I tried attaching it here

(0x0000135) application failed to launch properly.

If you want clean reinstall of the game,
    1. Uninstall it using the uninstaller that comes with it starting with the Kingdoms campaigns.
    2. Delete BOTH Medieval II total War folders.
    3. Run agood registry cleaner. Necessary to get what the uninstaller does not delete.
    4. reboot.
    5. Reinstall time and good luck.

Welcome to TWC.

Thank you for the help, I am trying it now.

I am also having trouble downloading the steam mod launcher from Squid

hopefully the problems are related, but the main reason I want kingdoms is for the great mods on this site.

Let us know how it goes.

Is there a trick to play offline?
    I recently bought Medieval 2 using Steam. I know the game does not need an internet connection to work, unlike online games. But this does not work. I tried launching Medieval 2 without Steam and that also did not work.
    All in all not a big deal but would like to play on the plane for instance.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast