Page 1 of 35 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: A Proper Empire: Terra Incognita v1.1.0 - FAQ, Troubleshooting, and Bug Reports

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Icon5 A Proper Empire: Terra Incognita v1.1.0 - FAQ, Troubleshooting, and Bug Reports

This thread is dedicated to answer your questions about APE:TI v1.1.0 and to help you with troubleshooting

If you want to report bugs, have trouble getting the mod to run or questions about the installation process, please post here.

FAQ

General Questions

Is this mod compatible with all DLC?
    Yes, it's fully compatible.

Is this mod compatible with mod xyz?
    At the moment, we don't officially support using APE:TI with other mods. The reason for this is that the modding mechanism requires overwriting certain files (for example the localisation) from the original game which means that we can't guarantee compatibility with other mods. If you want to use another mod with APE:TI, it's possible to manually merge them, but you will have to do so at your own risk and we won't give more than basic help for it.

Exceptions are mods that are specifically designed to work with APE:TI, for example the Additional Units Mod by Swiss Halberdier which has a compatibility version for our mod. However the support for these will be handled in the respective mod threads. There are also a few submods for APE:TI which of course can be used at your leasure.

Can you help me take the mod apart?
    The mod is built with all aspects of the changes complimenting other aspects of the mod. Even if you were to take pieces out there is no telling where the changes that crossed between portions of the game would conflict. Remember, the mod is freeware and you are free to make any changes to it that you like!

Which version of the game do I need?
    It's required to have version 1.5 of ETW installed for the mod to function properly. In most cases steam should update your game automatically to the latest patch, otherwise you will have to obtain it.

What about the hotfixes? Do I need them?
    It's recommended to always download the latest hotfix.

Gameplay Questions

How does manpower and supply work?
    Basics of Manpower and Supply
    Manpower/Supply: France

Manpower/Supply: Prussia

Manpower: [A]4011/[B]5011 [C](+200)
    Supply: [D]926/[E]5491

A = Total number of troops available but not yet recruited. Unit numbers are subtracted from this number.
    B = Maximum possible number of troops not yet recruited. A + C over time can equal up to this but cannot cross it.
    C = Number of troops that get added to A each turn.

D = Number of troops currently recruited and supplied. Unit numbers recruited are added to this number.
    E = Maximum possible number of troops that can be supplied.

A, B, and C represent actual bodies.

D and E represent guns, ammo, uniforms and other things needed to supply those troops.

If A goes below 0 you cannot recruit any more soliders. This means you have run out of warm bodies to recruit.

If D goes above E you cannot recruit any more soldiers. This mean you have run out of supplies to equip your troops.

You can have available manpower and max out your supply; you will not be able to recruit.

You can have available supply and use up all your manpower; you will not be able to recruit.

How do I increase my manpower and supplies?
    Your supply limit is currently tied directly to your manpower, increasing your population will increase both (but it will take some time, especially if the population increase is NOT due to conquest.)

I'm losing money that isn't displayed in the overview screen!
    This is the research cost (a kind of upkeep for school buildings). On normal difficulty a school will cost you 3000 per turn which are deducted directly from your treasury. Larger buildings and higher difficulty settings increase the cost, you can review it by clicking on the education building.

Can I have huge unit sizes with APE:TI (similar to DarthMod)?
    Yes you can. To do this please navigate to the following directory (you may have to enable "show hidden files and folders" in the explorer folder view settings):

Windows Vista - C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts
    Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

Now, open the file called preferences.empire_script.txt and change the value campaign_unit_multiplier to anything you like (huge is 1). Make sure you only change the numerical value and leave the semi-colon at the end of the line intact. Also please set the preferences file to read-only (right-click -> preferences) so that the game won't overwrite your setting every time you change something in the menu. Alternatively create a file called user.empire_script.txt and copy the line into it, this will override the setting in preferences.

Common problems

The Ottoman/Maratha or other Easter/Indian faction turn takes a long time.
    The Istanbul landbridge is causing it -- units have to enter or leave the city in order to cross the landbridge and that causes full stacks to be delayed because the AI won't move the garrison out to let the full stacks pass through without having to split the stack, so it takes more than one turn for a stack to pass the landbridge.

The advisor pops up but doesn't display any text.
    If this happens you have a conflicting localisation.loc file somewhere in your data folder. Please make sure to have no other mods installed, or at least none with a localisation file.

My game crashes at game start or randomly.
    First of all, make sure you remove your user.empire_script.txt by enabling "show hidden files and folders" in Windows Explorer's folder view options and navigating to the following directory (choose the one that applies to you):

Windows Vista - C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts
    Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

If you are positive there is no file of that name in this folder, check if you updated your display drivers lately. There have been reports of the latest NVidia drivers breaking ETW so you might want to try to downgrade to a previous driver version.

Most crash bugs are, however, related to the game core and not due to the mod. If you experience a reproducible crash on turn end, try disabling "Show CPU moves" or enable "debug_mode" at the bottom of your TI_prefs.lua to remove the fog of war and give us specific info about when the crash happens.

Confirmed Bugs/Issues

APE: TI crashes after install! There is a second Empire Total War Folder in my install directory!
    When you pick the directory it needs to go in you have to RECHECK the line and take off the duplicate 'Empire Total War' off of the end of the line or else it ends up as;

'Drive:\folder\Empire Total War\empire total war'

So uninstall and reinstall -- this time once you pick the folder make sure you take off the extra 'empire total war' on the end.

Resistance doesn't decrease for a long time in a conquered region but then it suddenly does and then stops again.
    This is a bug in the resistance system. Basically, there's maximum resistance, resistance and minimum resistance for each faction. On conquest resistance should be set to maximum resistance but it isn't so the resistance will go to the full 100 points while the maximum resistance requires the trait level not to go above a certain level (that depends on difficulty). This will be fixed in the next patch.

The Pirates are too strong.
    We already nerfed them but we shall see.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; July 08, 2012 at 03:34 AM.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Default Re: FAQ, Troubleshooting and Bug Reports (current: v1.0.9)

I have a problem where the menu freezes when I am selecting a new campaign. Every time I stop for more than a few seconds on a faction such as Denmark, the screen locks up for a number of minutes before unfreezing for a few seconds and then locking up again. This happens every time I do this. It seems to be a problem with APETI since it never happened to me in vanilla.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by GIMJ View Post
    I have a problem where the menu freezes when I am selecting a new campaign. Every time I stop for more than a few seconds on a faction such as Denmark, the screen locks up for a number of minutes before unfreezing for a few seconds and then locking up again. This happens every time I do this. It seems to be a problem with APETI since it never happened to me in vanilla.
    We've had reports of this and I've had this happen on occasion.

The odd thing is that it freezes for you for minutes; another reported that it NEVER unfreezes and the game has to be killed.

I've timed mine and they last about 8 - 12 seconds; it could possibly be the new flags or even the way we've made changes to the startpos.esf; we'll let everyone know what we find!
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; November 28, 2009 at 08:44 PM.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

It's not the flags or the startpos.esf -- at least it doesn't seem to be considering it was happening to me tonight on the graphics option menu.

I find it funny that it doesn't happen to me when on the major factions, only the minor ones.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Empire.exe
    Application Version: 1.5.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 4abbc9d0
    Fault Module Name: Empire.exe
    Fault Module Version: 1.5.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4abbc9d0
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00cbec4a
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: fd00
    Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
    Additional Information 3: fd00
    Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
    Vista crash on launch after openning screen. Vista with Steam. Verified integrity and have no other mod installed... had TROM installed prior but have since reinstalled.
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

Here is an strange one, I did a search on it, but it came up blank.

On the campaign map windows that open generally have a brown background. Sometimes the background on these are transparent or flashing with random graphics from elsewhere in the game.
    Other times when I open the same window it is back to the brown background.

Odd.
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Ballacraine View Post

On the campaign map windows that open generally have a brown background. Sometimes the background on these are transparent or flashing with random graphics from elsewhere in the game.

Odd.
    I have exactly the same problem.

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Well, it is good to know it isn't just something I have done wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Obi Wan Asterix View Post
    Vista crash on launch after openning screen. Vista with Steam. Verified integrity and have no other mod installed... had TROM installed prior but have since reinstalled.
    As unfortunate as it is, random crashes that can be traced to a specific situation (look here for what I mean: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=312699) we can troubleshoot but random crashes are more likely due to Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballacraine View Post

Odd.
    I've had that happen before -- I have to restart the game for it to go away. Very little chance the mod causes this.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; December 18, 2009 at 11:12 PM.

Not certain, but I think it has started since the last patch from Steam.

Icon5 Re: FAQ, Troubleshooting and Bug Reports (current: v1.0.9)

Just a quick question on how to edit the unit sizes: once I get into that file, I change the multiplier to anything OTHER than 1? (1 being the original size?) Just some clarification on what value has to go into there and what effect a given value will have. ex: putting a 2 in the multiplier spot will make units 2x their original size? Is this correct?
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    "Go to where the men speak Italian, then continue on until they speak something else."

"I've found that brothels are a much safer investment than ships. Whores rarely sink, and when they are boarded by pirates, why, the pirates pay good coin just like everyone else." - Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish

"Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life." - Falstaff
    Henry IV Part 1, 3. 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dizoakius Maximus View Post
    Just a quick question on how to edit the unit sizes: once I get into that file, I change the multiplier to anything OTHER than 1? (1 being the original size?) Just some clarification on what value has to go into there and what effect a given value will have. ex: putting a 2 in the multiplier spot will make units 2x their original size? Is this correct?
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    You are correct!

Sweet! Thnx!
    "Go to where the men speak Italian, then continue on until they speak something else."

"I've found that brothels are a much safer investment than ships. Whores rarely sink, and when they are boarded by pirates, why, the pirates pay good coin just like everyone else." - Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish

"Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life." - Falstaff
    Henry IV Part 1, 3. 3

As the Iriquous, i can build forts. Seems a little weird. When i build said fort, it doesn't even show up on the campaign map, but when i hold the cursor over the position, it shows that it is there.

Graf von Watts's Avatar Laetus

I have been playing as Saxony, nd I notice that I am not able to declare war on anyone. I get to the option where it shows who the allies are, but then it just sits there I can navigate out of the screen, but I cannot declare war. What do you think?
    Im Namen des Vaters, des Sohnes und des Heiligen Geistes.

There are no more Austrian Cuirassiers! I am playing as Austria in 1.9 and lo and behold no heavy cav what gives?

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingvengeance View Post
    As the Iriquous, i can build forts. Seems a little weird. When i build said fort, it doesn't even show up on the campaign map, but when i hold the cursor over the position, it shows that it is there.
    We plan on reworking the Native factions in the near future!

Quote Originally Posted by Graf von Watts View Post
    I have been playing as Saxony, nd I notice that I am not able to declare war on anyone. I get to the option where it shows who the allies are, but then it just sits there I can navigate out of the screen, but I cannot declare war. What do you think?
    That is correct, Courland and Saxony cannot declare war -- they can only follow their patron nation into war.

Quote Originally Posted by kalckreuth View Post
    There are no more Austrian Cuirassiers! I am playing as Austria in 1.9 and lo and behold no heavy cav what gives?
    They are still available to Austria (you can note them in quick battles) but it doesn't look like they are attached to a building!

--

We are tracking the bugs and there should be a HOTFIX ready by the end of the week -- it should even cover MP campaign compatibility for APE: TI players!

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Is it save-game comptaible with older versions?
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

I just got finished my Austria 1739 winter turn and my game crashed tried it again and it still crashed. Can anything be done about this?

Page 1 of 35 123456789101126 ... LastLast