Thread: Roma Surrectum II: Sarmatian Preview

Default Re: RS2 Sarmatian Preview

Absolutely Great, cant wait see them fight against the romans

Romaion
    ​VICTORIOSO SEMPER

Taien's Avatar Foederatus

OMG,that one looks awesome!
    Saka Elite Cavalry +1 Santa Claus!xD Just kidding,I love how they look!

SMoVader's Avatar Civis

Icon7 Re: RS2 Sarmatian Preview

Quote Originally Posted by mastaace View Post
    no problem, can't wait to see the xxxxxxx
    Damn I wasn't on earlier >_<, but judging by the faction's position and the 7 x's I would have to say maybe the Dardani?

Edit : of course if that is a red herring then I would say the Boii xD.
    RSIII player

Looks, great! Looking forward to crushing the petty* nomads with my Legions...

*I hide my fear with thinly veiled insults...
    May You Rest In Peace Calvin

Pavlik the Rus's Avatar Civitate

Great units.
    So, how many preview remains?
    "Unknown" celts, Carthage, Romans?

Under patronage of respectable MARCVS
    Надо чаще встречаться
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58644

mastaace's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by SMoVader View Post
    Damn I wasn't on earlier >_<, but judging by the faction's position and the 7 x's I would have to say maybe the Dardani?

Edit : of course if that is a red herring then I would say the Boii xD.
    i chose a random number of x's

SMoVader's Avatar Civis

xD
    RSIII player

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    As they have some foot units they aren't really a 'pure horse faction' - which is just as well as cavalry don't usually succeed in sieges.

As Tone has posted the xxxx preview still has a little way to go - there were some graphical issues with some models that have been fixed and screens have now been re-taken. Mulattothrasher has finished the text and just has to work out which screens to include.

We thought that the fans may appreciate another preview in the meantime....

I'm putting together the Gallaeci preview and hope to have it finished next week (I'm not a historian). It's supposed to just be a unit preview but I hope to add some historic detail about the faction and some background into the 'state of play' when the campaign starts.
    Yeah, of course, but their strong point is in cavalry. I don't think you'll get far with the infantry only...
    About the xxxxx preview. I wasn't judging or anything

Great work as always

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    They should be later this week, followed, I think closely, by the Gallaeci (Iberian faction)
    Nice to know thinks are progressing well (if you can do two previews in a week, it can't be too long before the release ... hopefully)

A small comment about the regions: Sources speak of two Alan kingdoms, the smaller of which can field 100,000 men, the bigger as many as 400,000 (according to both Romans and Chinese!). Anyway, from what I can ascertain, one is west of the Caspian, and the other on the east. Alans are also reported to have fought against the Pathians. Basically, I'd say the Alan region should be split in two to represent this, but of course, its your decision.

By the way, nice campaign map textures

Edit: That'll be a first... the Pannonians as a faction!
    Last edited by Caligula Caesar; November 22, 2009 at 04:21 PM.
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

THIS...IS...SARMATIA!!!
    Beautiful work, fantastically wonderful!! i love the Saka Nobles, they look tough as nails!

So I was looking at the starting location pics, and I noticed on the world minimap that there's a green-blue colored faction in the regions to the north of Pannonia...

Is that the secret celtic faction? Could they be... the Marcomanni? or the Quadi??
    Last edited by Acid Dent; November 22, 2009 at 04:39 PM.

I think the blue ones are the Getae and the green ones right next to them the Boii, but we'll see

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Acid Dent View Post
    So I was looking at the starting location pics, and I noticed on the world minimap that there's a green-blue colored faction in the regions to the north of Pannonia...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarrus View Post
    I think the blue ones are the Getae and the green ones right next to them the Boii, but we'll see
    I was wondering what you guys were on about then I saw that in the screens that Tone put in for the starting location for the Sarmations included the radar map...

I did think of that when I was getting the screen for the starting location of the Gallaeci and cunningly stripped off the UI bits under the strategy map.

Of course, it could always be an elaborate hoax - after all where is China on the map.......

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

rsslcs's Avatar Senator

Gawd, how did I not see this earlier!? Brilliant preview guys! Now I know that Borat is actually a Sarmatian...

This will be my 2nd play. First, I will play my old favorite; The Seleucid Empire

My 3rd play will be Sparta, 4th will be Macedonia, 5th will be Carthage, and 6th will be Rome

I will renounce Medieval 2 until I get bored (which I probably won't)
    Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=514102

The greater part of the names occurring in the inscriptions of Olbia, Tanais and Panticapaeum are supposed to be Sarmatian, and as they have been well explained from the Iranian language now spoken by the Ossetians of the Caucasus (the Ossetic language), these are supposed to be the modern representatives of the Sarmatians and can be shown to have a direct connection with the Alans, one of their tribes.
    By the 3rd century BC the Sarmatians appear to have supplanted the Scythians proper in the plains of what is now south Ukraine, where they remained dominant until the Gothic and Hunnish invasions. Their chief divisions were the Rhoxolani; the Iazyges, with whom the Romans had to deal on the Danube and Theiss; the Taiphali; and the Alani.
    http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Anthro...sarmatians.htm

and
    http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/LX/Sarmatians.html

Ossetians are those still remaining "Sarmatians". Those remaining in the Ukrainian steppes, would be largely be part of Goths or Huns, such as Johanes, a Gothicized Sarmatian, who is the one speaking about how the Huns came out of nowhere to subdue the Goths who were living in present day Ukraine.

Those taking refuge in Thrace (and defeating the Romans) were Goths.

Sarmatians were still a force the Romans had to reckon with in the late 4th century AD. Ammianus Marcellinus (29.6.13-14) describes a severe defeat which Sarmatian raiders inflicted upon Roman forces in the province of Valeria in Pannonia in late 374, when they almost annihilated both a legion recruited from Moesia and one from Pannonia, which had been sent to intercept a party of Sarmatians who had been pursuing a senior Roman officer named Aequitius deep into Roman territory; the two legions failed to coordinate, and their quarrelling allowed the Sarmatians to catch them unprepared and deal a stunning blow.
    These were probably either refugees from the ancestral Sarmatian lands or operating under Hunnic overlordship.
    Last edited by Keravnos; November 23, 2009 at 02:46 AM.
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.

Antonius's Avatar Decanus
    Europe - Britain, Austria, Italy, Belgium....

very awsome preview once again....

That Battlefield environment is just so so so so so so incredible
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.
    ~Alfred Adler

Well done guys. Another great preview!

Should be a word describing ‘beyond amazing’!
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Indefinitely Banned

Superb work guys. Well done.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast