Thread: $100 Million a Year for Sport...

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

Default $100 Million a Year for Sport...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/art...ml?autostart=1

This is probably more for our Aussie members, but I'd be interested in other's opinions too. To summarise the article, an independent Government report as rejected the Australian Olympic Committees call for an extra $100 million a year (approx. 91 mil USD) for the next ten years.

It also rejected the AOC's goal of reclaiming "top five" status on the medal table at the 2012 London Olympics and future Games as not sensible and not an appropriate measure of Australian performance.
    Frankly, as proud as I am about my country's sporting achievements, I am starting to get sick of the attention our sports people get - be it funding, salaries, celebrity status etc. I'd much rather see 100 mil a year pumped into schools, hospitals, and social welfare schemes. Of course, to state this in many Australian public forums, is be called un-patriotic or 'un-Australian'.

Also, as a country of only 21 million people, being in the top five on an Olympic medal tally, when against sporting powerhouses like the US, China, Russia, UK etc, is a ridiculous goal. Surely we're wanting to punch well above our weight?

I'm interested in other people's experiences to the way sportspeople are treated within society.

Cheers.

P.S. If anybody was wondering, our sports minister is only 30 years old and hot (in my opinion) .
    Last edited by Dr Zoidberg; November 22, 2009 at 02:08 AM.
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Default Re: $100 Million a Year for Sport...

People are fickle. When the Olympics roll around, people love to complain about the Canadian performance, the lack of funding, and t ill that jazz. But when it comes down to it, I doubt many people will actually like to spend more money on amateur sports after the Olympics are over.

Less money for sport means more money for bombs. Go bombs!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

91M $ ? For 21M people?

That's a kind much isn't it?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    91M $ ? For 21M people?

That's a kind much isn't it?
    Not even 21 million people mate - that's the total population. They want 100 mil $AUD a year for our elite athletes - a couple of hundred people at best.
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg View Post
    I'm interested in other people's experiences to the way sportspeople are treated within society.
    In my country, the government does nearly nothing to support the sporting elite.

As a student I was a member of a rowing club, and I know many Olympic athletes.
    They get some money, but it's less than welfare and they all have to work at least part-time to survive.
    All facilities, coaches, equipment etc. is payed for by the national rowing association, which gets its money from membership fees (you have to be a member if you want to compete in any races).

I don't have an issue with this government (non-) policy, but I do get annoyed when politicians try to profit from the achievements of the Olympic athletes.
    They don't care about those athletes during the 4 years of training between the Olympic games, but once they have earned a medal they all want to have their photo taken with them.

IMO governments should do a lot to support the "grassroots" of sports.
    I think club membership for children should be government funded, so children would never have a financial excuse not to do sports.
    With enough people doing sports themselves, Olympic athletes should also have no trouble getting funding from their national association.

ps: how many "sporting elites" does Australia have? (what is the definition? competing at international level?)
    I would be surprised if it's more then 1000, so that would be more than $100k/year EXTRA per athlete!
    Last edited by Erik; November 22, 2009 at 10:52 AM.

CarbEast's Avatar Senator
    The best place on planet Earth - Russia obviously.

I wonder why Australia would want to participate in this dick waving contest. If there's any value in having high results in achievement sports it's ideological. I can understand why USSR, USA, and their satellites invested massively in sport, but do Australians feel need to promote their political system over what others have? Or is it just a bit of boost for national feelings?

It's all in a day's work for bicycle repairman.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by CarbEast View Post
    I wonder why Australia would want to participate in this dick waving contest. If there's any value in having high results in achievement sports it's ideological. I can understand why USSR, USA, and their satellites invested massively in sport, but do Australians feel need to promote their political system over what others have? Or is it just a bit of boost for national feelings?
    I really hope they do it for themselves, and not to impress the rest of the world.

Because I think I can speak for all non-Australians here, when I say I have no idea if Australia came 5th or 35th in last Olympics medal score.

Not even 21 million people mate - that's the total population. They want 100 mil $AUD a year for our elite athletes - a couple of hundred people at best.
    Kinda much to pay. THat's an extra 5$ per year for everyone in Australia to pay just for the Olympics.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I really hope they do it for themselves, and not to impress the rest of the world.

Because I think I can speak for all non-Australians here, when I say I have no idea if Australia came 5th or 35th in last Olympics medal score.
    Erik, you raise a really good point.

Down here, there is this national mentality that we are somehow known the world-over for our sporting prowess; which is obviously not the case. What really grinds my gears is that we want to be world famous for our athletes, not our scientists, or our writers, or our humanitarians, but our bloody athletes. And I think this requested funding boost is indicative of our screwed up national priorities.

Oh, and FYI, we came 6th in Beijing, when ranked by number of gold medals. Which makes this whole goal of getting back into the top five even more ridiculous. $100 mil a year for the next ten years to climb one bloody sport. WORST. IDEA. EVER.

You are known for wrestling crocs. Stick to what you know!
    Let the Africans run.
    Let the Euro's and the Latino americans play football.
    Let the weird countries play handball (aka Norway + east europe)
    Let the snow countries dominate winter-sports.
    Let the Chinese kick martial ass.
    Let the Aussies wrestle crocs!
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Erik, you raise a really good point.

Down here, there is this national mentality that we are somehow known the world-over for our sporting prowess; which is obviously not the case.
    Actually, after you mentioned it, indeed I realized that Australia had many medals. If you haven't brought up that you were 5th-6th usually then no. I wouldn't have added up.

I just asked my father: "Did you know that the Australians do quite well in the Olympics usually?"
    He answered "No. How well?"
    I told him they were 6th in Bejing and he said "No, I didn't know. Good for them."

The Aussies in here can lest assured though that two more people know of the Australian athletic competence. 6th with just 21 million people is very well actually.

Ariovistus Maximus's Avatar Troll Whisperer

You'd think that the celebrity-athletes could help foot the bill if they want it so bad.
    Land of the Free! Home of the