Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: New Factions

Default Re: New Factions

Quote Originally Posted by HarneY View Post
    Ive never actually played EB1 because I dont have a copy of RTW but I'm curious to know whats the situation on the british isles like?
    Er... unknown?

Currently, EB features the Catuvellauni (Casse) and a lot of Eleutheroi on the British Islands.

Civis

Yeah, in EB1 (and most likely EB2) there's only one faction, called Casse, positioned in (modern day) southeast England. They start with one province and there are seven other rebel provinces comprising the Isles. So naturally as a Casse player, you'll spend the first couple decades uniting the Isles, with no worry of invasion since the Continental powers will already be at war with one another when the game starts.

HarneY's Avatar Semisalis

Thanks guys that was extremily useful

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis88 View Post
    ...the Galatians had a powerbase in Anatolia, however they never conquered much (in RTW terms), the province they had in EB was their greates historical expansion...
    They were quite a threat to the other factions located there, so there influence in the first decades of EB´s timeframe is bigger then you wrote.
    Maybe they could also start with the thracian city Tylis? Then we would have two starting provinces and more options, dominating Asia Minor or start a second invasion to Greece

Finally I agree, that there are more important factions (and some needed to fill the blanks on the map). I don´t have the Galatians on my personal favourites list of the 10 new factions, but they would for sure be an interesting faction. So I can understand that usmell wants them in.

p.s. when we are talking about Celts I hope we will see some new celtic factions like Belgae and others located in Southern Germany, Illyria-Danube region and maybe even in the Po-Valley. Aside from Romans and Greeks the Celts are the third dominating european culture in EB´s timeframe. It would be logical to include some new celtic factions.
    Last edited by Xerrop; January 30, 2010 at 03:09 AM.

Yeah, we will undoubtedly see a new Celtic faction or two. If only we could be ahistorical, then I would totally voucher for an Incan faction!

Holding out for Galatia!

I'd like to see Galatia playable! What say you, usmell?

And boiii. The name Boii keeps reminding me of this guy.

Still. I vote yeaaaaahhhhhh for Boiiiiii.

ProdigalSon's Avatar Foederatus

I'd also like Galatia and also like Achaean/Aetolian Leagues or Sparta far more than the generic greek faction.
    Hey Moral Soldier you've got righteous proclamations,
    And precious tomes to fuel your pulpy conflagrations.

So; we want Galatia, The Boii (ha ha), The Aetolian League and SPARTAAA! Whew, those EB guys have their work cut out for them. If they choose to heed us, that is.

Holding out for Galatia!

Senator
    In the icey lands of Norway... which aren't actually icey... more like rainy.

Quote Originally Posted by usmell View Post
    So; we want Galatia, The Boii (ha ha), The Aetolian League and SPARTAAA! Whew, those EB guys have their work cut out for them. If they choose to heed us, that is.
    If you've played EBI you'd realize theres no chance Aetolian league or Sparta is going to be in. They're locked tightly against Koinon Hellenon, Makedonia and Epeiros. Theres just no space for them, they would die after a few turns.

The others however are quite possible.
    Last edited by hekk; January 31, 2010 at 05:21 PM.

Well, I would prefer to have a crowded area to play in rather than abig empty one. So why not throw in Galatia and The Boii? What about The Scordiscii (sp?)?

Holding out for Galatia!

If you played EB I, you would know that Sparta is a member, in fact the leader, of the Koinon Helenon an alliance of Athenes, Rhodos and Sparta. Also that area is too crowded as pointed out, so no additional greek faction.

The Scordiscii are an interesting possibility, and we may indeed see them.

The Boii imho are as good as in. They are a unique celtic tribe, in an unique position, and afaik we have information about them at least to match some other factions. So i really beieve they will be in.

Sweet! Now we need The Belgae and Galatia!

Holding out for Galatia!

I share usmell's love for Galatia. I mean, how can you not like them? They're like a bunch of wild dogs set loose! Nearly plundering Delphi and causing havoc in most of Asia Minor. Me likes.

But I don't mind what factions they implement really (except Galatia, that's a must!). 10 (or 9?) more factions equals 10 (or 9?) times more fun. And more choice. And more massacres. And more awesomeness.

God, I'm already having a hard time picking a faction for a campaign now! Worth the wait. Definitely worth the wait.

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The Galatians are an important factor in my Makedonike campaign, they make up the backbone of many of my auxilliary armies.

And i'd love to see them presented as a whole faction instead of rebels.

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

are there Ilyryans in the game

Not yet

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis88 View Post
    Not yet
    does that mean that they will be?

Quote Originally Posted by Hrobatos View Post
    does that mean that they will be?
    As long as the EBII-team doesn´t preview the seven missing factions we won´t know.

But maybe cause it´s an empty space in the map - a factions suggested by fans (and me too) several times in this thread would be the Scordiscii, a celtic tribe with mixed illyrian influence. They would start with the city Singidunum.

Quote Originally Posted by Horatius Flaccus View Post
    There are two important reasons why they don't include the Mauryan Empire:

1. The culture limit. It's not possible to make use of another culture, they already have 7.
    2. Only a small part of India is represented on the map, therefore it's not possible to realistically represent an Indian faction.
    The 3rd and most important reason is that the campaign would become too unrealistic. We would have a strong Mauryan empire which would conquer Baktria, Pahlava and the eastern parts of the Seleucid Empire. That would be unhistorical, the Mauryas rarely played an important military role in the Hellenistic world - aside from the treaty of 305/304 bc.

As they would be on the corner of the map there is no real challenge for them, they would have secure and rich starting provinces. In order to avoid this there would be the need to add whole India and two new indian faction to prevent a steamrolling of the eastern campaign map.
    Last edited by Xerrop; February 02, 2010 at 05:27 AM.

well lot of northern "ilyrian" tribes were actualy celto-ilyrian
    Skordici, Jasi, Liburni, Panonci, Ardijevci, Delmati and others
    Delmati and Ardijevci were most pewerfull, Ardijevci created Ilyrian kingdom and there were three romano-ilyrian wars
    ilyrian tribes builted fortified cities on top of mountains and hills, made of stone, and it was difficult to conquer them, yet Romans were excelent siegers
    Gauls also builted stone cities, and didnt had much worse technology than Romans

Yes, the whole point of this mod is to make the "barbarians" be fairly represented. So we already know all of these things! I would love to see an Illyrian faction. And Galatia!

Holding out for Galatia!