Thread: Campaign mini map

Default Campaign mini map

hi..is there a way to disable that little map in the top left corner of the campaign map?...it all runs very slow when i'm on the campaign map, but when i open up the unit builder and i can't see that little map, it all runs so much better...i hope u understood what i mean...thanx

Pronoiar's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: campaign mini map

Yeah, I have noticed that too. The game seems to limit the campaign map framerate to match the half of your refresh rate. And yes, for some strange reason, that limit doesn't apply when the minimap is not displayed, and the framerate maxes out.
    So, try putting your refresh rate to the highest possible value and you should get a smoother gameplay. That was the best solution I could come up with. It's strange though...

so nobody knows of a way to disable that minimap

The minmap cannot be disabled.

oh but i think it can be disabled...only by the ones who put it there in the first place

Ok, I don't think this will do it but it does make the actual map completely disappear. Find these two files in your MTW installation directory e.g:

"x:\Medieval - Total War\Textures\campmap\MINILUKUP.BIF"

"x:\Medieval - Total War\Textures\campmap\MINIMAP.BIF"

Rename the files as follows:

"x:\Medieval - Total War\Textures\campmap\MINILUKUP.BI_"

"x:\Medieval - Total War\Textures\campmap\MINIMAP.BI_"

Try running a campaign and you'll see that the minimap is gone. If it doen't make any difference, rename the files back.

oh man!!...i formatted my pc a few days ago , due to a nasty virus....now i'm trying to reinstall Medieval..but i just can't do it...everytime i try to, i get an error about InstallShield...what is this InstallShield and why doesn't it let me install Medieval ??? i'm using XP, the same XP that i used before, and Medieval worked just fine...anybody knows aything about this InstallShied error ?....i'm getting too old for this.....

I really wanted to try out what Caravel said (thanx by the way )....hope i get past this error to try it out...
    Last edited by radu_g83; November 25, 2009 at 02:39 PM.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Guys, if you really want a solution to your minimap-problems, you should look at post: 6-7 in this thread instead:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...45#post6732045

Iv'e uploaded a fix there that probably will make your lag-problems disappear, and it does disable
    the minimap, which is necessary to counter the relevant problems discussed here (it certainly
    seems that the regular files are indeed causing problems for some). Check out and install those
    replacement-files and you probably can play your MTW again – minus the lag…

- Cheers