Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help beating mordor as high elves

Icon11 Need help beating mordor as high elves

Let me set the scene, dale has been obliterated by rhun and the dwarves are doing rather poorly in defeating them. Despite me destroying all of isengard rohan was crushed. Gondor is down to 3 citys. Eridor is completly surrounded by me. I am at peace with rhun and hard but i am attempting to takee back rohan's old citys taken by mordor. All of the misty mountains were taken by me, so basicly oomm rohan isengard and dale are non existant. The silvan elves have two settlements and have become rhuns vassal.

Well first let me tell you how far i am in the game, i am the high elves, and basicly i control a huge circle around eriador, and all the misty mountains as far as dain's halls in the north east. I own both lorien citys, and fangorn, and beorns halls. All of isengard is mine, and most of rohan. I have actually taken some gondor settlements that rebels took. My border settlements of mordor are, dol goldur, um entmoor (i think thats the name) um alburg and erech, i own hornburg, edoras and dunharrow.

Im having a load of trouble beating back mordor. The masses of uruks are no big trouble for my elves, but i massively need help killing olog hai. Cave trolls arent as bad, but it seems like its imposible to drive back all the orcs uruks and trolls, i need help and advice how to kill them. Btw this is on regular tatw 1.3 with no submods. Any advice? Also btw when i was slaughtering oom, how would a city i sieged at first have only 3 units of goblins but when i assulted, they magicly had a huge, full stacked army? Please help me with my troubles, thanks!!

Default Re: Need help beating mordor as high elves

1) Welcome to forums!
    2) Against Olog-hai you must use sword infantry and cavalry combo.
    3) The magically spawned armies are garnison script - it's purpose is to make game a bit more challenging.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." George Orwell

Thanks, what units should i use, warriors of mithlond, or eldar swordsman?

It depends of what can you afford. Starting from militia and going to Mithlond. In my Elven campaign the basic was militia swords and only in the elite assault armies I used eldars or mithlonds. Still the result in $ was roughly the same - more cheaper casualties or less but costly.

PS
    General guidelines to beating trolls are:
    1) Use armour piercing units;
    2) Do not use spears unless they arn't armour piercing;
    3) Use your armour piercing/sword infantry in combo witht frequent cavalry charges.
    4) Before charge try to weaken the trolls with missiles.
    Last edited by Ęsir; November 09, 2009 at 08:41 PM.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." George Orwell

At this point my main armies consist of eldar spearmen swordmen archers, and elven archers, i only get mithlond rarely because it is difficult to build the barracks required. Eldar spearmen, being the easiest elite(in my opinion) unit to produce due to they only being one or to buildings away from making elven swordman, who simply cant cut it against uruks. Also what do you meen by armor piercing units and are eldar spearman armorpiercing? Well please get back to me asap?

ackrite26's Avatar Miles

High Elves do not have any AP units.

20 units of archers concentrating fire on one troll at a time seems to work pretty well.

ackrite26's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Kalos View Post
    20 units of archers concentrating fire on one troll at a time seems to work pretty well.
    Not everyone wants a complete stack of archers. Quite boring.

Pffft. Boring to you maybe - I can't think of anything more fun than watching 4,000 arrows pincushion trolls one by one.

Bummer about the ap, can you give some examples of ap units, and next time i am able to play tatw, i will custom battle test your theory about the archers, also please state factions that have multiple ap units, thanks for the help!

ackrite26's Avatar Miles

The Dwarves have the most AP units.

Take a look at the Palantir Unit Guide

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=255647

Has all TATW 1.3 units and stats.

The trick is to do as much damage with bows as possible (to whittle off a few hitpoints) and then engage with spear and sword if you must. You can use lighter elven archers specifically as skirmishers on the enemy flanks, targetting the trolls as the enemy approaches.

Some people say not to use spear as they have a negative vs. heavy troops, but spearmen soak up hits that let your melee troops continue to fight.

The other advantage of using combinations is that when trolls fatigue, spear men can disrupt their attack from distance.... which also saves lives while allowing your melee to stay in close. Spearmen alone are useless though.

Once engaged, charge from the rear with cavalry to make short work . This can be difficult to do with three thousand orc inbetween your horsemen and the trolls backs, so timing is everything.
    ----------------------
    Elves are going to lose men fighting trolls in melee (due to their lack of AP), more so if you lack cavalry. So do as much damage as you can beforehand and the fight will hopefully be short.

ologhai vs ballista

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Beorning mercenaries are AP. Low armour though so they die pretty fast - use them wisely.

"Effective against armour" usually means they're armor piercing. Also against mumakils/olog-hais I believe catapults are pretty nice.

Also, only the more important cities that a faction control, like the 2-3 biggest cities got the garrison script so that units come when under siege.

Ah that makes sense. Lol thanks for the help!

You should use cheap militia to fight against the trolls. They are not very expensive compared to your units. When you got the Olog-Hai charge your cavalry in. At least three or four times.

Don't Olag-Hai count as a cavalry unit so why not just use spears against them?

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

No, they're infantry.

Might I suggest a different approach, give all the rebel cities back to Gondor? In my dwarves campaign due to the complete lack of ability to recruit anything good for a LOOOOONG time, and anything all for some time, I just keep enough cities to have a robust economy, and give the rest back to GOOD AI factions. Its more fun to role play,l and my experience is once the AI has been beat down once, they do better the second time. I basically rebuilt SE and Eriador from all the OOTMM cities I finally retook, and they have in turn really been holding their own while I have been SLOWLY building a stack of Erebor Ax, Dragon and Iron Guard decked in mithril with some catapults and Khazad troops to do a 40 turn march in to Mordor LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast