View Poll Results: Did You Know Beforehand?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I knew already

11 55.00%
  • No, I didnt know before

9 45.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Did You Know European Tradition of Chivalry Originated from the Middle East?

Default Re: Did You Know European Tradition of Chivalry Originated from the Middle East?

Quote Originally Posted by ivan_the_terrible View Post
    That's very dubious. European chivalry of medieval times has as many similarities with traditional Roman virtues as with anything the Arabs might have brought.

Chivarly as such developed in europe.
    Did the Romans sing love songs to their women?

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Default Re: Did You Know European Tradition of Chivalry Originated from the Middle East?

Quote Originally Posted by motiv-8 View Post
    Now off-hand that seems dubious... Could you elaborate?
    I didn't mean to imply that Chivalry originates in Roman virtues. Just that things like honour were not absent from europe before the Arabs somehow brought it.

Quote Originally Posted by jankren View Post
    Not really. But I doubt the Arabs invented it either.

That there was an Arabic chivalry does not mean European chivalry was square off based on it. Many similarities, in fact, only denote that which is presumably common to chivalrous instinct, and not that they had been brought over from any place rather than developed naturally. For they do, as long as there is a nobility of some sorts, and some conditions.

Of course all the analogies made here to it "being traced" to previous times are valid but they miss the point of each and every chivalric tradition. That there are common notions of chivalry does not mean there is only one "chivalry", although I would be bold enough to state that most Arabic chivalry was in fact imported from the Sassanids. Most of the Arab State of the Early Caliphate in fact assumed the trappings of its predecessors since their cultural identity was arguably rather similar, as much as that structure was the result of if not sharing then striking similarity between Sassanid and Byzantine cultural and religious traditions.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis XI View Post
    That there was an Arabic chivalry does not mean European chivalry was square off based on it. Many similarities, in fact, only denote that which is presumably common to chivalrous instinct, and not that they had been brought over from any place rather than developed naturally. For they do, as long as there is a nobility of some sorts, and some conditions.
    This is what I was trying to say. Couldn't do it so eloquently though.

Yes. Go read Ovid if you're in doubt.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Louis XI View Post
    Yes. Go read Ovid if you're in doubt.
    I prefer Catulus for the love things. Lesbia and sparrows, it's all he could think about.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Quote Originally Posted by ivan_the_terrible View Post
    Not really. But I doubt the Arabs invented it either.
    And nobody suggested that in the first place.

While the Arabs and Persians undoubtebdly had their own warrior traditions, I still feel that the Germanic tribes were the most likely source of European chivalry. They had their own warrior traditions which greatly emphasize loyalty to their lord and fighting prowess. Christianity would have probably given such existing traditions the aspects of aiding the weak and being pious.
    Chivalric ethics spread throughout from France and Spain though.
    Last edited by jankren; November 09, 2009 at 07:58 PM.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

This is lame. No it didn't. Maybe each respective area had it's idea of chivalry but that's defined by those specific people specifically for their specified area.
    "Mors Certa, Hora Incerta."

"We are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents." ~ Despot Voda 1561

"The emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans." ~ 1532, Francesco della Valle Secretary of Aloisio Gritti, a natural son to Doge

Nevins's Avatar Semper Gumby
    Civitate

Are we only talking about the Princess in the castle and the knight in shining armor here? Or are we also talking about the tourneys and jousting and warrior's code of honor?
    Client of the honorable Gertrudius!

Quote Originally Posted by jankren View Post
    Many times I heard people saying how the concept of chivalry is one of the distinct European traditions which separates European culture from others.

But Im just wondering how many people actually already know that the concept of chivalry (knight in shining armor, lady on the pedestal, love poetry, etc) came from the Arabs?
    Yeah...no it didnt. Courtly love, Chivalric notions, are a European creation as a means to blend Christian morality with courtly intrigues. Theres a reason its TAUGHT in academic circles as a uniquely European creation, it is, regardless of whatever two cent crack pot "go minorities!1!!" website you've read.
    “All things have sprung from nothing and are borne forward to infinity. Who can follow out such an astonishing career? The Author of these wonders, and He alone, can comprehend them.” - Blaise Pascal
    To see a world in a grain of sand,
    And a heaven in a wild flower,
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
    And eternity in an hour.

'Chivalry' is just a warrior code, and every warrior culture has had one. The Germanic culture from which Europe's Frankish knightly class arose were no exception.

While we don't typically associate poetry and singing with the earlier Germanic warriors - other groups like the Irish and Welsh certainly prized a pursuit of the arts as a virtue in a warrior.

I'm not surprised some 19th century historians tried to trace an 'Arab' origin to chivalry - they were academics of their time with a very scathing attitude to the christian tradition they thought themselves too advanced for, and a tendency to be pro-islam simply because they viewed it as an affront to Christianity.

Some aspects of chivalry could well have been influenced by Muslims - but the middle eastern tradition of 'knights in armour' 'courtly love' etc is Iranian, originating with the Parthian and Sassanian courts (and perhaps their predecessors). But even there, any link is questionable, because warrior feudalism has sprung up all over the world in very different cultures.

Chivalry, with its somewhat vague definition, is simply the combination of the warrior's code with higher ideals, in whatever form they happen to take among a particular culture. In the case of European chivalry, it most likely comprises the Saravan (Sassanid origin) cavalry techniques, which is the form of cavalry tradition most suited to Europe's climate (due to the fact that Europe's humidity contraindicated the use of the composite bow), the Germanic warrior ethic, some Roman civic values, and the Catholic Church's call to higher ideals.

Their Law's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'd have to disagree with the OP. I'm actually currently doing a module on chivalry, and all the reading i've read on it points to it being a primarily European creation. What is unique however is that the 9 Chivalrous Heroes, come from all areas and faiths.

But the real issue i have here is that people are assuming cultural transferral is a one way street. It is just as valid arguing that European chivalry could of been responsible for a development of Middle Eastern warrior codes. Without proof i will take the OP views with extreme (and i mean extreme) pessimism. Frankly it smacks of cultural revisionism, which is a valid argument if it has some proof, which the Op does not.

And perhaps an even greater sticking point is that i guarantee that everyone here will have a different definition of what chivalry actually is. For example I view it as an entirety, both the ideal strived to in literature and song, and the reality of those influences upon the world. Both factors are equally part of chivalric culture in my view. However some people view only the martial traditions as being part of chivalry, others view it as the ideal alone. Others will view it is a romantic notion, whilst some might consider it a moral code (etc Geoffroi de Charny: Livre de chevalerie). Thus how can you argue whether chivalry is Middle Eastern or European if you can't agree on an consensus of what chivalry is and encompasses.
    Last edited by Their Law; November 10, 2009 at 04:06 AM.
    "You have a decent ear for notes
    but you can't yet appreciate harmony."

Lysimachos11's Avatar Biarchus

The notion of Arabs having been chivalrous is mostly a 19th Century invention of Europeans, primarily through works by Walter Scott. He created the image of chivalrous Saracens.

That doesn't mean the Arabs did not have a chivalric code though. But I agree with most people Western chivalry cannot be said to come from Al-Andalus. The battle of Adrianople in 378 introduced heavy cavalry as the dominating force on European battlefields. The whole feudal system originated from the Germanic tribes, and IIRC when these Germans came to rule over indigenous subjects, they adopted a warrior code that laid the basis for later medieval knights. I think it was under the Merovingians the first real knights with a special code emerged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneca
    "By the efforts of other men we are led to contemplate things most lovely that have been unearthed from darkness and brought into light; no age has been denied to us, we are granted admission to all, and if we wish by greatness of mind to pass beyond the narrow confines of human weakness, there is a great tract of time for us to wander through."

From what i know, at least from military point of view, europeans knights have as "grandfathers" and inspiration source the roman heavy cavalry, "cataphractari", inspired as well mostly by parthian/sassanid heavy cavary.

Arch-hereticK's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

As far as I can understand chivalry is the warrior ethic of elite heavy cavalry that charge headlong into enemy ranks. The Moors and Arabs were predominantly light skirmishing cavalry using hit and run tactics on the open field, which is the exact opposite of the western gothic/frankish tradition which pre-date the caliphs anyway.

I'm sure there are similarities as there are with all warrior codes all over the planet, but that doesn't neccessarily indicate origins.

Their Law's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Arch-hereticK View Post
    As far as I can understand chivalry is the warrior ethic of elite heavy cavalry that charge headlong into enemy ranks. The Moors and Arabs were predominantly light skirmishing cavalry using hit and run tactics on the open field, which is the exact opposite of the western gothic/frankish tradition which pre-date the caliphs anyway.

I'm sure there are similarities as there are with all warrior codes all over the planet, but that doesn't neccessarily indicate origins.
    See this is the issue. Chivalry is not a purely military idea. It encompasses a vastly larger spectrum. So judging on a purely warrior based ethic is flawed, if you go down this line chivalric behaviour has been present in some form for 100 of years before what we consider the chivalric period. So if that is the case why is chivalry a clearly defined period. This is the difficulty when discussing chivalry.
    "You have a decent ear for notes
    but you can't yet appreciate harmony."

It might've but I doubt it. It seems more likely that it developed out of Germanic, Celtic and Slavic social codes and warrior culture which glorified individual prowess and vitrue.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Arch-hereticK's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Their Law View Post
    See this is the issue. Chivalry is not a purely military idea. It encompasses a vastly larger spectrum. So judging on a purely warrior based ethic is flawed, if you go down this line chivalric behaviour has been present in some form for 100 of years before what we consider the chivalric period. So if that is the case why is chivalry a clearly defined period. This is the difficulty when discussing chivalry.
    But it started as a military idea. This thread is discussing the origins of chivilary, some think it was the middle east but the evidence is inconclusive.

konny's Avatar Artifex

Chivalry is not tied to the existance of heavy cavalry. While it was the code of honor of the European Medieval heavy cavalry, other cultures had similar heavy cavalry without developing chivalry, but chivalry remained the code of honor of the European nobility and became the base of the general European code of behaviour long after the knights had disappeared from the battlefields.

Team member of: Das Heilige Römische Reich, Europa Barbarorum, Europa Barbarorum II, East of Rome
    Modding help by Konny: Excel Traitgenerator, Setting Heirs to your preference
    dHRR 0.8 beta released! get it here
    New: Native America! A mini-mod for Kingdoms America

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast