Thread: Crash at Loading Screen

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Default Crash at Loading Screen

A while ago I downloaded "Empire Optimized" and got so far as to writing the lines into my scripts.
    I then decided to stop the mod and deleted the lines from my script, however since then I cannot load my E:TW at all!

It was working fine before with all the mods on the 1.5 patch and now won't even load. However at first it came up with an error box but now it just loads then crashes with no error boxes or anything.

So please help guys... what should I do?!

P.S: I deleted my scripts and disabled ALL my mods however it still crashes.

Default Re: Crash at Loading Screen

Try deleting all traces of your mods from the data folder, then delete scripts/preferences, then try validate integrity of game cache via steam. This is what I did and it worked for me.......it would seem its something to do with patch 1.5 messing up if you have any mods for some reason or at least thats what i have read on some of the other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by xenomorph83 View Post
    Try deleting all traces of your mods from the data folder, then delete scripts/preferences, then try validate integrity of game cache via steam. This is what I did and it worked for me.......it would seem its something to do with patch 1.5 messing up if you have any mods for some reason or at least thats what i have read on some of the other forums.
    And then I can re-install my mods afterwards? And do you want me to delete the WHOLE Scripts folder cause I have already done that....

Yeah go into your scripts folder and delete your scripts file and your preferences file and last used mods file if you have one.......Im not entirely sure if you can re install your mods because id read somewhere that the latest patch makes your game crash if you use mods......again im not sure how true that is so your welcome to give it a shot if you like.
    Just make sure that after you have deleted all traces of your mods from the data folder and youve deleted your scripts etc that you then verify integrity of game cach through steam.......this is the process that worked for me and prevented the inevitable crash to desktop on boot up.
    Like youself, i used to play ETW with a few different mods installed and it just seems such a shame that for some reason the latest patch doesnt seem to allow you to use mods at all.
    Let me know if this works for you though, a couple of people ive suggested this process too say that its worked where as others say it hasnt, so it seems like like its a bit hit or miss really.

Quote Originally Posted by xenomorph83 View Post
    Yeah go into your scripts folder and delete your scripts file and your preferences file and last used mods file if you have one.......Im not entirely sure if you can re install your mods because id read somewhere that the latest patch makes your game crash if you use mods......again im not sure how true that is so your welcome to give it a shot if you like.
    Just make sure that after you have deleted all traces of your mods from the data folder and youve deleted your scripts etc that you then verify integrity of game cach through steam.......this is the process that worked for me and prevented the inevitable crash to desktop on boot up.
    Like youself, i used to play ETW with a few different mods installed and it just seems such a shame that for some reason the latest patch doesnt seem to allow you to use mods at all.
    Let me know if this works for you though, a couple of people ive suggested this process too say that its worked where as others say it hasnt, so it seems like like its a bit hit or miss really.
    Nah, works perfectly WITHOUT mods but with ANY mods it crashes. Argh if this is there last major patch then we are faced with bland vanilla E:TW....

Magestryn's Avatar Decanus

ok so I updated to windows 7. Empire was working on vista but now is launching, I see the first screen then it just CTD. WIndows is looking for a solution. bah.. any ideas? I have no idea how to get to the hardware accelerater to see if thats the issue. Everything is updated.. any suggestions? I have deleted and reinstalled twice now. There are no remnants of earlier versions.

The video card is ATI 3100

Quote Originally Posted by Magestryn View Post
    ok so I updated to windows 7. Empire was working on vista but now is launching, I see the first screen then it just CTD. WIndows is looking for a solution. bah.. any ideas? I have no idea how to get to the hardware accelerater to see if thats the issue. Everything is updated.. any suggestions? I have deleted and reinstalled twice now. There are no remnants of earlier versions.

The video card is ATI 3100
    Is this related to my thread on XP??? Cause if not you are more lucky to start your own thread!

Yeah it would seem we are stuck with vanilla Empire for the time being im affraid, I dont know if this is the same for everyone though, as there still seems to be people posting up stuff on the mods forums.....im guessing if it wasn't possible to play with mods at all on v1.5 patch then why would people still be creating content and discussing it on the mods forum?
    Also i would assume that if it wasnt possible to play with mods installed anymore then the fallout from this would be much higher with more people complaining seeing as i think most people who play empire do so with at least a few mods installed?

Anyway, other than doing what we have done (which im glad works for you by the way) i dont know what to suggest other than to say looks like vanilla from now on or at least until the next patch when hopefully CA will realise that the modding comunity plays a major part of the total war franchise.

With regards to your problem Magestryn im affraid i havnt got a clue on what to suggest regardling problems relating to windows 7, as Dynamo suggested your probably more likely to find useful advice by creating your own thread.