Thread: Commemoration for Calvin

Default Commemoration for Calvin

Hello everyone,

As a final tribute to Calvin by the Content Staff, we offer up these sentiments by the members of the community. As these remembrances come from Calvin's friends, they are best left to speak for themselves.

Commemorations
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter
    What i shared was very simple, that we developed a friendship
    by him helping with folders and files on the RS 2 Mod.
    Also I would make statements about the Lord which he agreed in.
    Plus I wrote a book 2 years ago, and it was going to be published in January, And Calvin expressed that he would like to have a copy of it.
    The book is called "Beyond Paradise"
    the story of our ultimate redemption.
    This book details the death, burial, and the resurrection of Christ.
    many examples from the old testament to the fulfillment in the new.
    This is how we exchanged our conversion.
    Not in detailed conversion in the Lord, but off and on.

I think below expresses my feeling...

"Calvin was a friendly,caring and a giving person.
    never ceasing to help.
    A very good Samaritan as Jesus spoke about.
    That's what i experience about him.
    True it's a loss, yet in weakness there is strength in the Lord.

William Chandler
    ( SwHunter )
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savage
    To one of the most humble and friendliest guys I have ever met. You were there for everyone who needed you. Especially for your patron. I will ever be grateful to have met you and to be called your mate.

Rest in peace mate,I shall never forget you.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime
    I first met Andy in one of the football threads in the Games & Community forums. He was displaying his usual pessimism for the prospects of his favourite club, Wolverhampton Wanderers, for the forthcoming season but you could still feel his unswerving devotion to the club despite this. It immediately impressed me as I could see the integrity and loyalty of the man. Andy was no glory hunter, he had made his choice from an early age and would stick with them through thick and thin. When I later discovered he had defended another person from being mugged by a gang of knife wielding thugs and had suffered terrible injuries as a consequence my initial respect was confirmed and multiplied many, many times. Has there ever been a more heroic act by one of our members? I think not.

In spite of his injuries Andy went from strength to strength. He became constantly involved in all aspects of the site. Moderating, a magistrate in the Tribunal where he always vigorously defended the appellant if he felt an injustice had been done with his customary integrity and humanity. His greatest contribution, in a staff capacity, was in the Content department where his energy and dedication to making a difference was self-evident for well over a year in his writing and editing of countless articles.

In the real world too his life was improving immeasurably. His love for his fiancée had always been a constant, his sadness at the geographical gulf that separated them, his joy when they spent time together and so when he broke the news that he was emigrating to the States and gave us all regular updates to the trials, tribulations and progress that he was making in his blog here, I felt genuine happiness that he was going to achieve his goals. It couldn't happen to a nicer bloke, I thought.

The truly shocking news of his death then was far too cruel a twist to take. Many members of TWC have been devastated by the loss but our grief pales in comparison to the suffering that his friends, family and loved ones in the real world must endure. If it's any crumb of comfort to them, then even here, in this virtual world of text and avatars, Andy's courage, bravery, integrity and humanity shone through all of his posts and all of his deed. He was one of our finest ever members and he will be sorely missed.

Sincerest Condolences

Harry Lime
    Quote Originally Posted by dvk901
    All I know, for the record, is that Calvin was a great inspiration for me as an individual friend. We shared a lot in common...so much so we were going to gut the RTW traits and ancilliaries and rewrite them all to our liking. But he was also the kind of guy was always encouraging me to keep at things, even when I was feeling down or upset about something. I will really miss brainstorming with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling
    I first Met Calvin before I joined the Content Staff, i was perusing the forums (I was a bit of a newb at the time) and I saw this funky badge that Cal had.. I Asked him in a pm what it was as I feared that if I wrote on his wall that I would be laughed at by people.. He messaged back kindly what a Magistrate was and he wished me well..

I didnt run into Calvin again until I joined the Content Staff and became an ES Intern under B.Ward.. I Pm'ed him saying I had read some of his previous articles from back in the day and said I admired Ernest Shackleton too, he replied to me again with great nicety.. Now I failed to mention that I was an avid follower of Calvin's Corner and even contacted a friend in the US Embassy to see how his visa was coming along. Now I became a lot closer to Calvin when he became the step-in editor for the ES, we became MSN Friends and had convos regularly ranging from Shackleton to Book Superstores in the US.. I also sent him nearly all of my article for him to check, help and generally advise.. I even sent him a school article I wrote once for him to check..

So Cal/Andy, I really will miss you, I knew you yet I wish I had known you longer and better. RIP Andy and Condolences to You and Your Family..

Major Darling
    Quote Originally Posted by Pøntifex
    This is so shocking...I feel awful right now. He was such a nice guy, I can't really believe this has happened. It was just a short time ago we had a scare with him and its just so awful that this has happened. We worked alongside one another on various little projects and he was also someone to learn from. He had many prospects of a great future with his wife to be and the saying the worst things happen to the best people really holds true here. The community will be affected by his loss, but this can only be mirrored by what his real community must be feeling at this moment. My condolences to his family, I hope they can find peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie
    This is really dreadful, I knew Calvin well and we spoke to each other a lot over the last couple of years. I met him when he PM'ed me one day when he wanted advice on what video card he should get for his PC, he ended up buying a new PSU and a 8800GT and he so happy with it we become friends. Latter on I become editor of the Helios and shortly afterwards he became editor of the Eagle Standard and we used to have great friendly banter about who had the better publication and just recently I was looking forward to working with him again on a brand new publication as well.

We even shared the same love of games, just after I held him out with his computer he started an AAR report in the CM called Traders Tales: Stories from X2: The Threat, he never got around to finishing it (and to fair I never got around to finishing mine either) but it still a great read and it was nice to talk to someone who had the same interests as you.

I'm really upset about this to honest, Calvin was a genuine nice guy and never said a bad word to anyone you couldn't ask for a more upstanding guy and I don't say that lightly either. And just for the record Calvin had a wife who is now widowed all my sympathy is with her and his family.

I can't even bring myself to post this my normal style and at this point in time black seems a lot more fitting and reflects how I feel at this point in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empress Meg
    I knew that Calvin was going through a rough patch in October. We exchanged PMs perhaps once a week, sometimes they warranted replies, sometimes they did not. Mostly they related to Content. Though I was not hustled back into that department on my return to staff Calvin always kept me on the know, forcing me to keep in touch with my first publication - The Eagle Standard. That is where he and I had our first introductions after all, though we shared many similarities and interests. That is the kind of guy Calvin was; he never forgot who was important to him, who helped or aided him, who he could count on for advice or some needed critiques.

I am glad that I kept the PMs of those early days. I kept them purely for informational purposes (what the ES lacked or what was working well, what we did to solve that issue, etc.) but now they take on a new facet: slightly morbid, slightly pleasing depending on my mood. Who ever thinks that any memento of a person will be their legacy?

A completely new feeling overtook me when Calvin passed away. Blood drained from the face and shudders of despair! I never felt that way before over someone’s passing whom I never really knew. Someone I never meet face to face. Never saw a picture or knew his features. But that did not matter one jot; I had lost a very good friend. That evening, trying to make sense of my feelings I had the desire, some would say the nerve, to write to his brother’s account. To my infinite joy I got a reply back in turn. Who would have thought some guy over in the UK whose suffering was still acute would even care what some Internet avatar had to say about his brother? But the tiny connection with Calvin’s family crystallized in my own heart the relationship that Calvin and I enjoyed for a brief time. It did not matter that he was merely text on a page as some cynics would quip. He was real and his loss was felt. Later, when told my letter to his brother would rest with Calvin, I was content. Peace.

I will keep that letter private, but I will share part of a PM string that best sums up our relationship and my subsequent feelings when they were fresh and unknown. I will keep the member's name who, poor soul!, got these PMs but I have asked his permission and will thank him again.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't be so choked up over a guy I never met in person, but I really considered him a friend. We're are going through the same thing, but slightly opposite you see. He was coming to the USA and I was going to UK, both of us to be with our partners. We both went through some of the same bad experiences but pushed through them. Christ, he owned rats- like me! I'm really shaken up about it. I had no idea. I knew that he was ill, but he said it was just anxiety and over-work, something I knew about quite keenly, another connection you know? It's just awful to think that I will never meet him now, never know him in person. All I have now are some ing PMs from him and that sort of thing. How does one remain content with those?

I have known one or two folks who have passed online, but not well. They were clanmates in a clan network so extensive no one person knew everyone well. I did not know Osceola at all, and that is why I never said anything in his memorial thread. That would be disrespectful, but I understood the need for others to express their grief. Now I get to feel what it is like to have someone removed from my life without ever meeting them, but having that same wrenched feeling of truly knowing them and losing that small bit of joy.

I'm shocked and wounded just as I would have been with a close relative or friend's sudden passing. I consider online friends the equivalent of the Pen Pal from twenty years ago. People we may never meet in person, never get to hug or buy a drink but they remain forever impressed on our minds in their words. A friend told me once that:
    "As the relationship is more in the abstract, through the written word, it's easy for the imagination to fill in the blanks, so the person, even if you only communicated a few times, seems like the best fellow on the planet."
    While I do tend to agree that we fill in the little holes left in a person's life we are also not to far off the mark as the written word can be so telling, so honest in it's simplicity. I would like to think that Calvin was quite sincere with me and everyone he knew here. For my part I hope that he knew I was just as sincere when we spoke. We had the same dreams and goals, the same bad bumps in our past, the same pets. We worked with one another in the content department and i got to know his creative and impressionistic side. Such a sweet feller too when you came right down to it, his faults and his virtues. He was like the mirrored me in a way even down to our sex being opposite! I have need to do something for him, but the online memorials that some of the other guys are proposing seem too paltry for me right now. Perhaps a day or two will see my mind changed on that.

I'm really thankful for your letter to me just now. It's a striking piece of serendipity. I did not expect a reply at all, but yours has been so grand to receive in return that I cannot thank you enough. I hope I shall never feel surprised and always obliged by such seemingly small acts of kindness that affect me in such a big way. Perhaps in your words I have found that small bit of virtu that made Calvin such a great guy. I shall keep this in remembrance of him and I hope as a groundwork for our own acquaintanceship.
    My heart when out to his family, who through their pain found time to visit us here on the TWC and the other sites he frequented. They are good folks, strong and caring and passionate, just like Calvin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos
    Rest in peace, Calvin...

He and I had some pretty nice talks together. He was always considerate, kind, and a pretty good joker.

I was an avid reader of his blog about him planning to come to the US, so he could be with his fiance.

Well, this has certainly put a damper on my mood, but it's important to remember Calvin, now that he's gone, and I'm glad to give Calvin all the attention he deserves from me. A wonderful man, truly, in every way.

Rest in peace, old friend. I'll miss the chats we had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    This is very shocking and unexpected... Calvin was incredibly nice to me. He seemed perfectly healthy, hale, hearty, and lively during the short time I spoke with him! Since he was so good, he is probably in Heaven now. Let us hope that this is a joke or misunderstanding of some serious degree...

Recquiescat in pacem, most solemnly...

The Content Artist y2day also created a small banner for commemorating Calvin in one's signature:

Quote Originally Posted by y2day View Post
    My last correspondence with Calvin was in a PM a few days ago he titled "A final request" .One never thinks how something typed so innocently can come to mean so much. I still can't believe he is no longer with us. He was a friend and all around good person. He shared his life with us and with that he touched so many people here. Through the internet he made connects with people that few do outside of this theater. He was always honest and really cared about others. I wish his family and fiancee strength in the months ahead, and will keep them in my prayers. We miss you Andy. I wish you peace and hope to meet you face to face in heaven.

Roy (y2day)

And here are a few more thoughts about Calvin:

More Sentiments
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Valle View Post
    RIP Calvin. Shocking that such a young member died.
    Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    What an awful bit of news. He was such a great member of the team.
    My thoughts and prayers are with his fiancee too.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSEUDO ROMANUS View Post
    My God! I have no words. He was so excietd about his new life with his fiancee! I'm so sorry for his family and especially her. Rest in peace, Calvin. You will never suffer again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangerman View Post
    Rest in Peace, Calvin. This is very sad to hear and big shock after all he's gone through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgûl Killer View Post
    Seriously, Calvin is the last guy who deserved to go. My condolences to his family... I feel awful... I wish I could do something to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankbuster
    You were a wonderful person, a hard worker and a great contributor in all areas of your life.
    You'll be sorely missed by all of us.
    My condolences to your relatives and your fiancee...

I'm so sorry
    R.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    One of the kindest persons I had the chance to meet, always looking forward, especially towards his new life with his bride to be.
    He will be greatly missed by all who he loved.
    My condolences to his family and fiance. May he rest in peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post
    Damned, you never know when life is going to strike with such devastating news. My sincere condolescences to his family and friends. For the few words that I exchanged with him, he looked like an excellent guy and he will be deeply missed.

In addition to this publication, Calvin’s memory is further being honoured by a new content editor badge featuring his avatar:

Furthermore, the Member Award for your "Favourite member of Content Staff" has been renamed to "The Calvin Content Staff award". That is to show how big Calvin's influence on Content Staff was.

The Content Branch would like to thank those who contributed to this final goodbye to our friend. In Calvin's Memory, signed the Members of the Content Staff.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Commemoration for Calvin

Appreciate this guys. I just wish his two families and partner could see this,your tributes. I told my wife and she was shocked also,in that she is coming from Vietnam to Australia,so we both had to think,what if..same for one of us? I was darn hoping he would do well in his journey to USA. We can only imagine how his poor partner is feeling? So sympathies with her. All we can do is make the most of each moment we have with each other,and for me far away from my partner..I sent 2 dozen roses to say Missing yah..^_* . Calvin(Andy)gave a shake up to me not to take my time with my partner for granted.

Best wishes and thankyou

Phillip & Phol

Bongfu's Avatar Senator

Calvin was awesome to work with when I did the short work I did with him. I loved reading his blog he kept. You shall be missed Calvin, the TWC will never be the same without you.
    Lorehammer - Team Lead
    A Radious Total War: Warhammer Sub-mod

Indefinitely Banned

Rest in peace my friend. I shall miss you on TWC very much!

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

I know that you clearly haven't found your way around the forums yet, but you can see as clearly as anyone that this page is dedcatd to a user, Calvin, who is missed by all and was friends with many people on this site. Why did you post that here, it is very insincere...
    Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I never personally talked with Calvin (I joined this forums just a bit after he passed away), but from what I've recently read he was a great person indeed. I wish to Rest In Peace!
    [Col] RO Citizen

♔Icebear77♔'s Avatar Biarchus

Still feel sad and still hurts to read this

RIP Calvin

Necromancer's Avatar Campidoctor

Yea... It's hard, you guys. I actually just lost one of my best friends this past October. One of his biggest mottos was “Live Fast, Die Young”... It's tragic how this seems to be the case for so many great people, and it cuts even deeper when we, at the time, took light of such dark humor. I know how you all feel...

Even though non or very few of you may have known Calvin personally, it still hurts. In this age of international electronic communication we're in, someone literally halfway around the world can make an impression in your life. And while nothing can replace a relationship with someone you see on a regular basis, strong bonds can still be formed on wonderful sites, like the TWC.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to remember ever chatting with Calvin in the forums. But, what I do remember is how good-natured and polite he was. He never had a mean thing to say to or about anyone. That's hard to find today. So, out of respect and in memory of Calvin, perhaps we should all make it a goal to be more courteous, helpful and respectful towards one another from now on?

I know that it may seem out of place for me, someone who can't even remember whether or not he even spoke with Calvin, to be making such a long and in-depth post. But, at the TWC, we're a family. A family united by common interests and dreams. And when we lose someone, it affects us all in one way or another.

If a year has passed since we've lost him, and there's still people posting messages about him, the he must've been a very special person. One worth keeping in mind, body and spirit.

My condolences go out to his family and bride-to-be. This is obviously a very sensitive time of year for them, and they'll be needing as much comfort as possible. If anybody who reads this who has gotten in contact with his family, perhaps they could send them another message saying that we all still miss him, and think of him and send them all our best wishes.

R.I.P. Calvin... I may have never actually spoke with you, but you were a part of this wonderful, giant family, and we undoubtedly lost one of its greatest members...

--- If my lack of knowing Calvin makes this post seem, in any way, innapropriate - please, have a moderator remove it. ---

On Sep 25 2009 I got a visitor message from Calvin, saying 'Good Lord, he lives!' and replied... as far as I can remember that was the last time we talked. I didn't learn of his death until February this year and it still feels remote... I never knew Calvin personally, but we spoke in the Football threads and I remember his bravery fighting muggers and the horrific injuries he sustained. Calvin was a truly good man and one of the best people I have met on the internet. Learning of his death over two years death has been very weird and this delayed grief from across the internet has helped me realise how fragile life is and how the best of us can die. Having not visited the site much around that time, I do not recall the circumstances, but all I can say is that I wish all the very best for Calvin's family and hope he is happy in heaven

RIP, Tweety
    ~

RESTORING ROME - CHAPTER II: TRAGEDY OF THE KOMNENOI
    bitte sehr
    SCHRÖDINGER'S CAT - A VERY SPECIAL FELINE