Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Period Portraits Mod 0.4

Default Re: Period Portraits Mod 0.4

I've now downloaded the startpos and everything works fine minus I have to start a new campaign to get the right pictures, but for me it doesnt matter as tsar peter is still correct by some reason (playing as russia for the moment)

Are you planning to include portraits for eastern monarchs and such? Anyway great mod + rep

Well... with latest version (0.4) of this mod on russian 1.4 version of game I have some wierd results.
    Peter the Great have correct portrait - that's good, BUT the same portrait of Peter the Great is assigned to Mazepa (general)!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Сorrect portrait for Mazepa:

Looking at Menshikov (knyaz and general), I see some unfamiliar fat cossac. Mazepa could look like cossac, but it is not his portrait either and by any means he was not so fat.

Сorrect portrait for Menshikov:

I haven't searched for all the ministers, but at least Golovin's portrait is incorrect. This famous general, admiral and minister was notably fat.
    Сorrect portrait for Golovin:
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; November 22, 2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: spoiler tags

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

OT, could you widen the Louis XIV portrait slightly. Is a little squashed. Otherwise a fabulous mod.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Great mod, i do not know how i missed this!!! oh yes i do know how i missed this!! I work on that bloody TAR Mod!!!

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

The idea sounds great, are faction specific portraits possible as well? eastern portraits are limited to eastern factions after all.

Around Europe there have been quite some different styles, I believe generals usually didnt wear wigs in the Netherlands for example.

And where do I install this? I have a mod manager but it doesnt install files as far as I know. where can I put these portraits?
    Last edited by Inhuman One; December 10, 2009 at 01:39 AM.

anyone?

Yoram777's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    OT, could you widen the Louis XIV portrait slightly. Is a little squashed. Otherwise a fabulous mod.
    The card portrait, or the larger info portrait?

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    The idea sounds great, are faction specific portraits possible as well? eastern portraits are limited to eastern factions after all.

Around Europe there have been quite some different styles, I believe generals usually didnt wear wigs in the Netherlands for example.

And where do I install this? I have a mod manager but it doesnt install files as far as I know. where can I put these portraits?
    Faction specific portraits are not possible unfortunately (only region specific), and for now this mod only replaces the European portraits.
    The Portraits are as accurate as possible at the beginning of the campaign after that new portraits are random.

Installation:

1.Place the .pack file in your "\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data" folder.

2.Place the startpos.esf file in your "\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\main" folder for accurate European portraits at the beginning of a campaign.
    (make backup of the original startpos.esf first)

3.Select the mod in LtChambers' Mod Manager and launch the game.

Enjoy the mod
    Last edited by Yoram777; December 12, 2009 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoram777
    The card portrait, or the larger info portrait?
    The larger info portrait.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; December 12, 2009 at 11:18 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Yoram777's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    The larger info portrait.
    Ok, well that's a pretty easy fix.
    The original (full size) picture is simply too small, which is why it gets stretched out to fit the (ingame) frame.
    I will make a new .pack which fixes another picture with the same problem as well.

I've also been busy finding (colour) replacements for all the black&white portraits, which I didn't really like.
    But I need Tuca to update the links and he doesn't seem to be around much lately, so it may take a while

Quote Originally Posted by Yoram777 View Post
    Ok, well that's a pretty easy fix.
    The original (full size) picture is simply too small, which is why it gets stretched out to fit the (ingame) frame.
    I will make a new .pack which fixes another picture with the same problem as well.
    Okay good. Thank you sir.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

thanks for the help.

Its quite interesting that while armor was not hardly worn in this period that many generals and kings where still painted wearing a full suit of armor.

...Excuse my Ignorance...
    ...(I am aware the Mod is specified to be activated with the Mod Manager, but)...
    ...Unfortunately, I have never had much success downloading (blahblah00015A error?)/converting over to Mod Manager...so have always continued implementing mods, including the very excellent Tuca period Music Mod, as patch packs activated via the user.empire_script...
    ...after very much wishing to appreciate your latest efforts, and inspired by similarities in an earlier Yoram777 post, I decided to throw caution to the wind and download the Portraits mod, naively assuming I could activate it in a similar fashion to the music mod...
    ...sadly, to no avail...
    ...I unzipped the pack into data, replaced startpos...and then tried adding various amendments to the user.empire_script along the lines of "mod PeriodPortraits.pack;"..."mod period_portraits.pack;" etc etc...
    ...To cut to the chase, though never specified, is it actually possible to activate this mod via the User.empire_script...and if so, How? (what is the exact line to be added)...
    ...or is it strictly for Mod Manager only?...
    ...Highest Regards...

Thanks so much for this mod. it really has changed the immersion factor for the better for me.

Marxism is evil.

Is this mod compatible with the latest CA patch, Onkel Tuca? I ask because apparently, CA have changed resources to American regions, and nearly all my crashes since then have been after battles on the American map. I understand this may have involved changes to startpos.esf by CA, and that this mod also has a startpos.esf.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; December 20, 2009 at 09:52 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

ChrisJoker's Avatar Semisalis

I think its something to do with a steam update because i cant install the mod manager and i have to activate my mods manually ohh and heres how to write the mods in the user empire script

example:

mod Period Portraits.pack;
    mod ROS.pack;
    mod familytreemod.pack;

my game only crashes when i place the period portraits pack v0.4 in my steam apps data and activate through user empire script. can somebody fix this problem plsss, in the meanwhile people should deactivate steam from automatically downloading updates. u can do this by clicking on steam icon goin to my games right click on ETW click properties and ur giving the option to deactivate steam from updating automatically.
    "An army of sheep led by a lion can defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep".(Arab proverb)

I really like the idea of this Mod, but before I try uploading it I have some stupid questions.

- As far as you know is this compatible with Swiss Halbardier's Additional units Mod ?

- I'm actually rather fond of the vanilla Queens portraits because... err... some of them are actually rather pleasant to look at.....
    So is there any chance you might put up a screen shot of some representative examples of Queen portraits ?

Suggestion - by doing relevant subject searches you can find loads of portraits on Wikipedia. For example, Do a search on " Battle of Lexington & Concord " in Wikipedia and you'll find the most wonderful portrait of British Colonel Francis Smith ( a personal favorite of mine ) of the British 10th Regiment of Foot commanding in the Lexington/ concord expedition. For example , in the Italian States faction ( i.e. Papal states ) Wikipedia has the full list of 18th Century Popes -- in order ! -- with all portraits of same ! In fact, as far as I know, Wikipedia has a near-full catalogue of portraits , in chronological order, 1700-1799 , of all major and many minor houses in the 18th century .
    For example ; a complete list of portraits, in chronolgical order, of the Princes of Liechtenstein, 1700-1799.

offer - I have a large number of portraits in a photobucket album that I mainly ripped off of Wikipedia . For example ; the Portraits, in chronological order, of the ruling Princes of Liechtenstein and Hesse-kassel in the 18th century ( no Hesse-kassel or Liechtenstein factions in Tw though . *shrug* ) two 18th century Popes portraits, portraits of most of the representative princes of the Catholic ruling houses, in chronological order, in the 18th century. A nice portrait of Marshal Maurice De Saxe and Marshal Soubise in the French section, and a few portraits of Austrian and Spanish Princesses whom I Thought were physically attractive. ( all formal stuff. no nudes ) reply if interested and I'll give you a link to this photobucket album.

Quote Originally Posted by kesa82 View Post
    offer - I have a large number of portraits in a photobucket album that I mainly ripped off of Wikipedia . For example ; the Portraits, in chronological order, of the ruling Princes of Liechtenstein and Hesse-kassel in the 18th century ( no Hesse-kassel or Liechtenstein factions in Tw though . *shrug* ) two 18th century Popes portraits, portraits of most of the representative princes of the Catholic ruling houses, in chronological order, in the 18th century. A nice portrait of Marshal Maurice De Saxe and Marshal Soubise in the French section, and a few portraits of Austrian and Spanish Princesses whom I Thought were physically attractive. ( all formal stuff. no nudes ) reply if interested and I'll give you a link to this photobucket album.
    -It is compatible with AUM and any other mod which doesn't changes portraits.
    -If I have understood you, Wikipedia have a gallery with portraits of all representative princes... This is really great.
    -And can you give me a link to the album? I'm working on my own portraits mod and it sounds interesting.

ChrisJoker's Avatar Semisalis

plsss somebody fix this mod it doesn't work for me and my game is steam updated to the December 7 patch!!
    "An army of sheep led by a lion can defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep".(Arab proverb)

Quote Originally Posted by Isabelxxx View Post
    -It is compatible with AUM and any other mod which doesn't changes portraits.
    -If I have understood you, Wikipedia have a gallery with portraits of all representative princes... This is really great.
    -And can you give me a link to the album? I'm working on my own portraits mod and it sounds interesting.
    - thank you for the clarification. I figured it wouldn't clash with AUM as these mods deal with different aspects, but forewarned is forearmed.

- I don't think Wikipedia has a portrait album, all in one place. I doubt it. BUT, yes, you can find loads and loads of portraits under relevant searches. For example, do a search under , " French kings " and presto ; there they are ! Portraits of almost all of them. ( there may not be portraits of some Dark Ages kings for example, and there is the occasional mystifieing ommission. But since ruling princes in the 18th century were habitually given to having their portrait painted, the 18th century is rather comprehensively covered. )
    A little - a little - ingenuity may be required in carrying out searches.
    For example, search " Indian chiefs portraits " and you will most likely come up empty. ( you may not though ! ) Hmmm.
    What were some prominent eastern Indian tribes in the 18th century ?
    Search under -
    " Iroquois Confederacy "
    "Delaware Indians "
    " Cherokee Indians"
    Do I know some prominent Indian leaders of the period? yes I do. So I might look under " Oconostoga " "Pontiac" or King Philip " for example, and come up with some portraits of 18th century Indian chiefs !
    Yes, there are just loads and loads and loads of portraits on wikipedia.
    They are of different sizes, some are tif., some are jpg. , some are rectangular, some are square. but at least they are there.
    oh, I might add that one Wikipedia article invariably seems to link to three or four more, which often leads you to more pictures and portraits. I've spent an entire day before finding and downloading pictures from wikipedia.
    Collecting pictures, especially portraits, is my hobby.

-- I sent that link over to you via private message. Good luck and happy modding.
    Last edited by kesa82; December 23, 2009 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJoker View Post
    plsss somebody fix this mod it doesn't work for me and my game is steam updated to the December 7 patch!!
    Just download the startpost again. The update overwritten your startpost, which is necessary if you want the mod working properly.
    If you can not see any portrait (of the mod) your problem is other. Try deactivating others mods...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast