Default Mosques of Turkey

Suleymaniye Mosque, Istanbul

Selimiye Mosque, Edirne

Beyazıt Mosque, Istanbul

Yeni Mosque, Istanbul

Ayasofya "Hagia Sofia" Mosque, (Museum since 1923), Istanbul

Sultan Ahmed Mosque, Istanbul

Sulla's Avatar Sulla

A truly spectacular building which I would love to see one day. Very nice pictures.

Under the Patronage of the noble Senatorii Wild Bill Kelso
    Brother Of Necrobrit, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran and Oldgamer
    Patron of the Senatorii cunobelin & the CivitateLegio XX Valeria Victrix

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

The number one thing I want to do in the future is visit Istanbul. To visit the mosques, the great walls, the statues of Byzantine Emperors that were preserved, the Serpent statue, etc. I would love to do that.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Istanbul is one of the great cities. Great pictures. The Blue Mosque (or more accurately the Sultan Ahmed Mosque) is one of the most beautiful buildings in the world. Only two have made me emotional The Blue Mosque and The Cistine Chapel. Both are exquisite...

The skyline of Istanbul is fantastic. Go to The Galatia Tower (not sure of spelling), the view is great.

The Aya Sofia is awe inspiring. Truly amazing, and just across the park from The Blue Mosque.

fantastic pictures (did u take them yourself?) and architecture
    well done
    [BIG MTW2 SIG]
    Skyhigh - can't go out at night because he'd bump his head on the stars.

No, I didn't take them. I think the photos that were taken professionally looks far better than mines in the forum page.
    Thanks to everyone..

It is a shame muslims had to ruin Hagia Sofia though. It was, from what I have read, far better when it was in it's true form. Turning it into mosque is in my opinion one of the biggest crimes against culture in known history.

Everyone is warhero, genius and millionaire in Internet, so don't be surprised that I'm not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwaz
    It is a shame muslims had to ruin Hagia Sofia though. It was, from what I have read, far better when it was in it's true form. Turning it into mosque is in my opinion one of the biggest crimes against culture in known history.
    Uh yeah Really? Mehmed The Conqueror did ruin it? Collapsed it? Byzantine banished from Istanbul after the Ottoman reign? Great Patrik killed or exiled? No...

So, what are you talking about? if it is about fantasies i say nothing but if you talk about history i say only check your data and compare the behaviors of their centuries conquerors with the Turks. We kept it like a heritage of old but a new form as a mosque and we honored it as a museum as a great universal value. When we do those things we were being glorius. Mehmed II and Ataturk made their noblest decisions of their age.

Let me see... Turned it into a mosque for example! It was magnificent church and tearing out what was and replacing it with islamic items is nothing short of desecration. Those minarets? They do not belong to Hagia Sophia!

Everyone is warhero, genius and millionaire in Internet, so don't be surprised that I'm not impressed.

Ridiculous how man can waste enough cash to erect such buildings, yet do not seem to have the (financial) means to solve more 'earthly' problems such as hunger, diseases etc...

This has real risk of becoming a heated political debate I think but I have to say I agree with Tiwaz. I dont know how you can call the 'wiping clean' a cultural icon that was one of the world's most impressive church as showing 'glory'. Christian icons were destroyed, mosiacs plastered over and replaced by Islamic one...that is er glorius? This has nothing to do with modern Turkey today of course. I dont even know why its included as 'mosques of turkey' since its a church and not even a mosque today but a museum.

Ridiculous how man can waste enough cash to erect such buildings, yet do not seem to have the (financial) means to solve more 'earthly' problems such as hunger, diseases etc...
    Maybe because some of them were built centuries ago?

Maybe because some of them were built centuries ago?
    Doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Torment
    Doesn't make it any less ridiculous.
    Shrug I fail to see how buildings built long ago have any bearing on hunger in this day and age, especially considering the time and era some of them were built in such as as the Hagia Sophia.

Quote Originally Posted by danzig
    Shrug I fail to see how buildings built long ago have any bearing on hunger in this day and age, especially considering the time and era some of them were built in such as as the Hagia Sophia.
    You think hunger was not a problem centuries ago?

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Little Legionaire
    Uh yeah Really? Mehmed The Conqueror did ruin it? Collapsed it? Byzantine banished from Istanbul after the Ottoman reign? Great Patrik killed or exiled? No...

So, what are you talking about? if it is about fantasies i say nothing but if you talk about history i say only check your data and compare the behaviors of their centuries conquerors with the Turks. We kept it like a heritage of old but a new form as a mosque and we honored it as a museum as a great universal value. When we do those things we were being glorius. Mehmed II and Ataturk made their noblest decisions of their age.
    Yes, the fact that they destroyed all of the beautiful, expensive mosaics on the walls of the Hagia Sophia, let alone removed countless religious artifacts and symbols showed that they didn't really destroy the Hagia Sophia, they made it a much more beautiful place to worship God.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Are you from Istambul? Can you show more pictures? I am really into Eastern Roman culture, so I would love to see as many pictures as possible. Your mosque pictures are very beautiful.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Great collection!

I hope my org start work in Turkey soon enough.....
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Quote Originally Posted by therussian
    Yes, the fact that they destroyed all of the beautiful, expensive mosaics on the walls of the Hagia Sophia, let alone removed countless religious artifacts and symbols showed that they didn't really destroy the Hagia Sophia, they made it a much more beautiful place to worship God.
    More beautiful? It was a travesty. Orthodox tradition has produced the most magnificent and beautiful churches in christianity (and humanity overall). Muslims have made some impressive works but Hagia Sofia is nothing short of a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by therussian
    Look at who says that. Just think age of 14th centuries conditions. No, you can't coz point is about Turks or what they made off. So, Turks were soo vandal and cruel tell me how did still standing Greek and Armenian religional leaders still alive? We saved them and honored them and we were being unstoppable when we do that. We did not force mass people to convert Islam. You can't prove any example. When we were raiding Austria, marching poland and steppes of Ukraine and our sailors all across mediterranean you are in safe.

If you cry about Aya Sofya just think what you did? Kazan Khanate? Grenada library? Mass Muslim and Jew exile from spain. You are blaming like a rutin like a keyword from Google itself.

Go on like that repeat yourself. If you wanna try to start a flame war try somewhere else except this topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Little Legionaire
    Look at who says that. Just think age of 14th centuries conditions. No, you can't coz point is about Turks or what they made off. So, Turks were soo vandal and cruel tell me how did still standing Greek and Armenian religional leaders still alive? We saved them and honored them and we were being unstoppable when we do that. We did not force mass people to convert Islam. You can't prove any example. When we were raiding Austria, marching poland and steppes of Ukraine and our sailors all across mediterranean you are in safe.

If you cry about Aya Sofya just think what you did? Kazan Khanate? Grenada library? Mass Muslim and Jew exile from spain. You are blaming like a rutin like a keyword from Google itself.

Go on like that repeat yourself. If you wanna try to start a flame war try somewhere else except this topic...
    How is it starting a flame war by pointing out Hagia Sofia was made lesser then it was and ruined when the city was conquered?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast