Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WWW.THIRDAGETOTALWAR.COM - discussion

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Icon3 WWW.THIRDAGETOTALWAR.COM - discussion

Hi all,

I am currently working on the www. ThirdAgeTotalWar .com website, I own the domain, and I wanted to open this thread to ask you all whether you have any ideas for features, layouts, color schemes, sections, videos or screenshots I should use etc... that will make the website better.

I am also interested in any help you have to offer, whether it be programming, artistic or idea generation etc...

This is what I have done so far on the Homepage, just so you can get a genral idea of the layout and color-schemes:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    -Golden Background made by JohnLennon

I already have done some work on the factions page (no picture though):

There is a map of Middle-Earth and there are all the faction regions highlighted on it and the faction symbols on top of the highlights. When you click on a region/faction symbol it will take you to the faction info page.

Anyway, start discussing please,

Evan Frayling

P.S. Feel free to praise the work here as well......but not too much spamming, because I want some substance in this thread unlike others......AND NO OFF TOPIC!
    Last edited by Evan MF; November 01, 2009 at 08:46 AM.

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Default Re: WWW.THIRDAGETOTALWAR.COM

Game Info, Factions, Gallery, Media, Community, Support, etc. Sleep?

Looks good, that's for sure!

I'm not sure what I can suggest, it all seems self-explanatory. This at least: put a border around the video rather than have a moving scene in the middle of a plain image, looks better. Why not have the each Faction in a separate page with each having a unique style (Moria pillars as borders to Dwarf Faction, a jet black page with a fiery heading for Mordor and so on.)

May I also recommend a sub mod page UNIQUE to your website, with a list of RELEASED sub mods and their current update, details and a link to their page. Also do a COMING SOON sub mod list beneath. (Like this page). Just be nice to have a NEAT sub mod page. (I understand this would include a lot of work so don't see it as necessary, I did see the Forum link to Sub Mods).

Good Luck!

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Hmm. Looks nice!
    But did you do that highest photo yourself?

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Sorry Evan i haven't had time to make a vid for you...long story, but i am not able to do one the next days...

Muffer Nl's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    Hmm. Looks nice!
    But did you do that highest photo yourself?
    No he didn't I think Maxmazi or Louis Lux made it.

Brego's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Muffer Nl View Post
    No he didn't I think Maxmazi or Louis Lux made it.
    It was made by JohnLenon:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...64#post4545164

Full picture here:

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    The background was made by JohnLenon, he probably cut parts of some easy to find promotional material from lotr desaturated them, then pieced them together, the resulted effect was achieved with a couple of filters and a yellow photofilter. You can kind of see what he did in this pic:
    Last edited by Brego; November 01, 2009 at 05:27 AM.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Thanks for answering.
    The pic is really amazing, indeed it is!

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

Maybe make some self-made reviews of submods. Or interview creators of submods?
    Or ask leader of submods if they can give your site an exclusive preview??

Just some ideas to make this site worth watching!

Under the patronage of Pøntifex Maximus

Quote Originally Posted by Eol_Nauglamir View Post

Nice work on the site, but I agree here with Eol, it would be much more interesting to people if there were things like that there.

Yeah, we don't want this to be a series of links that we could get to far quicker on this forum.

Icon10 Re: WWW.THIRDAGETOTALWAR.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus View Post
    Yeah, we don't want this to be a series of links that we could get to far quicker on this forum.
    The website itself will act as a springboard into the forums and an expansion of download outlets for the mod. We need a more TATW representative website that will draw players and members in quicker.

I can remember, many time I was typing Third Age Total War in google and looking around at different websites, and watching videos on Youtube, but every time I can onto the forum page (which came on top Goolge Search Results every time), because I didn't see any immediate images or architectural relevance to Third Age Total War, I didn't bother looking at it, UNTIL I decided to see what it was all about.

Remember this website will only be displaying the many various features of the Mod and displaying latest news of the Mod. If they are really interested, people can join these forums. I do not think it would be worth making a forum on the website, when this community here is already so well established.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBigAb View Post
    Sorry Evan i haven't had time to make a vid for you...long story, but i am not able to do one the next days...
    No rush, I haven't finished the core pages yet...

There will probably be an admin access to the Mod creators and those whose Submods are established enough to be represented on the site. I will make a Submod page where you can update information and progress on the site.

Remember all, this isn't just a website for you (the community) its also there for new comers to learn and explore about the Mod and its features.
    Last edited by Evan MF; November 01, 2009 at 09:29 AM.

Default Re: WWW.THIRDAGETOTALWAR.COM - discussion

For the factions page I am thinking of having a little interactive image of a soldier, and whe you put your cursor over it, it starts to rotate.

A bit like these: http://www.totalwar.com/empire/units/?id=1

Does anyone know how to make this, and how you can get access to the unit models?

That is very good work - it's really professional! Though .com implies that TATW is out to get money.

It's probably some action script 3 script.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Frayling View Post
    For the factions page I am thinking of having a little interactive image of a soldier, and whe you put your cursor over it, it starts to rotate.

A bit like these: http://www.totalwar.com/empire/units/?id=1

Does anyone know how to make this, and how you can get access to the unit models?
    That will be awesome and will CERTAINLY get people interested enough to download it. I mean, who wouldn't download something with units as beautiful (that word does not seem like a good adjective for something that kills) as these. Good luck! The units are all the .MESH files in C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age\data\unit_models\*****\How you could make them into what the ETW website did god knows, ask SEGA (but don't expect a reply, they're too professional to be interested in us(unless you bribe them)).

Will this website get to a point where it is top of the Google search?

Can you monitor the number of people that go to the site because if so you should ask the mod leaders to contribute to the upkeep. (Hehe)
    Last edited by Inarus; November 01, 2009 at 10:26 AM.

it has already been added to the Google Crawler...

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus View Post
    That will be awesome and will CERTAINLY get people interested enough to download it. I mean, who wouldn't download something with units as beautiful (that word does not seem like a good adjective for something that kills) as these. Good luck! The units are all the .MESH files in C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age\data\unit_models\*****\How you could make them into what the ETW website did god knows, ask SEGA (but don't expect a reply, they're too professional to be interested in us(unless you bribe them)).

Will this website get to a point where it is top of the Google search?

Can you monitor the number of people that go to the site because if so you should ask the mod leaders to contribute to the upkeep. (Hehe)
    I will be trying to maximise search results with this website, it shouldn't be that hard because third age isn't such a large search term, but total war is...

I heard once that the revolving unit thing isnt actually an model, but hundreds of photographs. when it turns, it looks like a model.

Icon5 Re: WWW.THIRDAGETOTALWAR.COM - discussion

[QUOTE=TheArtfulDodger;6230471]I heard once that the revolving unit thing isnt actually an model, but hundreds of photographs. when it turns, it looks like a model.[/QUOTE]

I assumed that too but then how is it possible to take hundreds of photos of a model?

I have a question for you all:

Are the region divides correct on this map?
    (this will be used on the site ):

BTW I have not done the Grey Havens Elves or the Eastern Dwarves. This is just the CORE locations of each faction, otherwise it may become confusing. I am sure you can tell then which region is what....

If anyone had some sources of what exactly the borders where that would be useful...

Last edited by Evan MF; November 01, 2009 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Frayling View Post
    Are the region divides correct on this map?
    (this will be used on the site ):

BTW I have not done the Grey Havens Elves or the Eastern Dwarves. This is just the CORE locations of each faction, otherwise it may become confusing. I am sure you can tell then which region is what....

If anyone had some sources of what exactly the borders where that would be useful...

Gawd, that image image looks like one screwed up rainbow. Is that Dale is Mirkwood? And the Eastern Dwarves should be as far west as Erebor. Fangorn is rebel not of Rohan, nor does Rohan stretch to Lorien. Erm... You sort of lost your high standard of excellence. Why not merge together the images of the Faction Starting positions, the images from "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign" Those titled "Map-[Faction]. Just copy all the location colours onto one map and voila!
    Last edited by Inarus; November 01, 2009 at 03:05 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast