Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minas Tirith On Earth!

Senator

Default Re: Minas Tirith On Earth!

All we need now is a Real life Helms Deep!

The Record of Lodoss War, The Mother of all Epic High Fantasy stories.

Duke_Dutch's Avatar Civis

I think the idea of Minas Tirith was based on Vienna during the siege of 11 September 1683.
    Vienna was a stong point with large walls ( star fort). and the Ottoman Army ( 150.00 men strong) is Mordor and Rohan is Poland with the largest cavalerie charge in history ( 20.000 horseman) who came to reliefe the siege. at the moment the ottomans where on the point of taking the city John Sobieski III ( King Theoden) attack early in the morning and broke the ottoman ranks and saved the city.

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by carth View Post
    truly a wonderfull castle/church/island. i like it more then MT
    Now that is going too far. Does Mont Saint-Michel have a large bit of rock jutting out from the side where you can hurl burning men off? Or countless trebuchets? Or a great gate that withstands all but the Greatest Battering Ram?

But one thing I must say is that Mont Saint-Michel has a beauty of its own. I may not have any belief in God but those Cathedrals are beautiful and amazing and- well just awesome! They are marvels of construction and I cannot think of better buildings that have been erected since. Ah the Ancient and Medieval architecture is brilliant, unrivalled, etc.

Dude, a friend of mine went on vacation there like 2 weeks ago

Muffer Nl's Avatar Praefectus

That's, like, awesome, like, dude.
    Seriously don't use dude and like, in the way you used it, on a forum. And a few hundred people go there every day...
    Dude...
    Seriously...

The truth of the statement above is guarenteed to be 100% truthfully.
    Last edited by Muffer Nl; November 01, 2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Spelling error...

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

Very nice, one thing I must ask: How many levels does it have?
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by Costin_Razvan View Post
    Very nice, one thing I must ask: How many levels does it have?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Only Joking, Google it and look at the arial view plan

GrumpyBean's Avatar Ordinarius

Here is the Google-earth version of this

Very funny and old tale of Mordor. The grass is always greener.
    Epic Tale of Thera, simply a masterpiece . Borissomeone's Tales of Thera.

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus View Post
    It's Medieval, what d'you expect?

I have heard of this inspiring place in France, (bit like the Holy Island up north in Northumberland (England) but more impressive). I am glad to see that it was not the French that first used the place but the Romano-Bretons (a.k.a Roman culture mixed with Britannian tribes (damn that must have been a good mix). Unsurprisingly the Franks (need I say who they are now) ransacked the place (well what else do barbaric Frenchies do?). So after time the place gets a church (on God's orders you understand) and later a nice big castle. Result: a brilliant inspiration for PJ. We owe God a lot (or at least one of his French Bishops).

A great post! That place sure looks awesome, thank God the French didn't have Henry VIII as a King.

good god, your knowledge of French history really sucks...

"French" is a modern invention, but it's essentially a mix of whant you call unfrench (the local tribes like bretons, basques, bourguinions, catalans, etc.) and "franks" which were originally northen tribes from Germania, thelmselves one of the many waves of invasions (romans, normans, etc.). Most of the "french" don't have frankish origins. Besides, the "franks" very quickly got absorbed by the locals, and lost their original language, religions (conversion of Clovis), traditions, etc.

"French" didn't mean a thing when they created that, but at the same time people who created that were no doubt the ancestors of "modern french".

Stick to fantasy, history obviously ain't your thing

Just quickly, St Michelle in France is indeed an abbey (hence, it looks like a church like someone said ), and likewise Micky's Mount off Cornwall is the priory. However, I believe it was taken over during Henry VIII's time, and became a private home/castle/thing.

Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland:

Rivendell, Middle Earth:

Last edited by Finnduil; November 02, 2009 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maroule View Post
    good god, your knowledge of French history really sucks...

"French" is a modern invention, but it's essentially a mix of whant you call unfrench (the local tribes like bretons, basques, bourguinions, catalans, etc.) and "franks" which were originally northen tribes from Germania, thelmselves one of the many waves of invasions (romans, normans, etc.). Most of the "french" don't have frankish origins. Besides, the "franks" very quickly got absorbed by the locals, and lost their original language, religions (conversion of Clovis), traditions, etc.

"French" didn't mean a thing when they created that, but at the same time people who created that were no doubt the ancestors of "modern french".

Stick to fantasy, history obviously ain't your thing
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/victories.html

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Icon10 Re: Minas Tirith On Earth!

That one always gets them Frenchies! Rule Brittania! - After all we defeated Napoleon...

Icon11 Re: Minas Tirith On Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnduil View Post
    Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland:

Rivendell, Middle Earth:

Rivendell looks nicer...

That one always gets them Frenchies! Rule Brittania! - After all we defeated Napoleon...
    You know, after all...
    Well we Dutchies ED Britania once.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_Revolution
    What it basicly says is this:
    Parliamant wanted to get rid of the king so Willem III van Nassau hired an army, crossed the channel with about 20000 men and made the English army surrender even though they had more men in England (The main fighting force was 19000 but there were others stationed over England. A bit like what Numener did to Sauron don't you think?)

Icon10 Re: Minas Tirith On Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Muffer Nl View Post
    You know, after all...
    Well we Dutchies ED Britania once.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_Revolution
    What it basicly says is this:
    Parliamant wanted to get rid of the king so Willem III van Nassau hired an army, crossed the channel with about 20000 men and made the English army surrender even though they had more men in England (The main fighting force was 19000 but there were others stationed over England. A bit like what Numener did to Sauron don't you think?)
    Yes well, you had your moment. So we don't go off-topic into a anti-Dutch/anti-Anglo debate...Battle of Camperdown..., I think we should focus on putting down the French...

According to the The Art of The Return of the King no single place was used as the definite inspiration for Minas Tirith, but it was actually a huge mashup:

The overview was of Mont Saint-Michel, the keelshaped cliff and terraces taken from Positano in Italy, the buildings based on byzantian architecture and so on and so forth...

Brego's Avatar Ordinarius

If I'm not mistaken they designed the model of Minas Tirith mostly after this drawing by Alan Lee:

Though, this doesn't show the architecture of the buildings etc. that much..

Icon6 Re: Minas Tirith On Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Brego View Post
    If I'm not mistaken they designed the model of Minas Tirith mostly after this drawing by Alan Lee:

Though, this doesn't show the architecture of the buildings etc. that much..
    Yes, and Alan Lee got his inspiration from Mont Saint Michel, and various other places...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast