Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minas Tirith On Earth!

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Icon10 Minas Tirith On Earth!

Look similar don't they? Apparently this is where they got the inspiration of how it should look in the movies (including Lore to...) :

Mont Saint Michel, Normany, France, Europe, Earth:

Minas Tirith, Anorien, Gondor, Middle-Earth, Arda:

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Minas Tirith On Earth!

Tell me that the 1st time u saw Saint Michel mt. you compared it to Minas Tirith!!!!

Cool, isn't that place where the tidal water sometimes makes it an island and sometimes has that land bridge :o Pretty cool actually!

Would be awesome to defend the French place though if it was an island ;D trebuchets vs ships = win

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

Is it not just off the Cornish Coast in South West England?

Then again, the pictures look different.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Anyways, been there, I liked it They do look similar. I guess that's pretty cool.

Icon10 Re: Minas Tirith On Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn of Carrock View Post
    Tell me that the 1st time u saw Saint Michel mt. you compared it to Minas Tirith!!!!
    Ofcourse! It has large plains of grassland around it like the Fields of Pelennor and insetead of a mountain behind it there is the sea. When I stood on the battlements I imagined that the fields were covered with Orcs!

In fact this Norman Castle held out against the English for 10 years...

And Dark Horse, that pic you ahve is a different place, that still looks similar.

Here is another picture of it! (when the tide comes in and washes all the orcs away)

Last edited by Evan MF; October 31, 2009 at 06:11 PM.

I am glad Evan you pointed that out, it must be Tolkiens inspiration for Minas Tirith since he tried to reproduce our world as close as possible and provide a one by one interpritation!
    For a moment I thought this forum was useless.

desean's Avatar Semisalis

place looks more like a church then a castle

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    I am glad Evan you pointed that out, it must be Tolkiens inspiration for Minas Tirith since he tried to reproduce our world as close as possible and provide a one by one interpritation!
    For a moment I thought this forum was useless.

Tolkein didn't get his inspiration from this (well there is no evidence that he did), but Peter Jackson and his concept artists did.

Brego's Avatar Ordinarius

Just for fun

Quote Originally Posted by Brego View Post

Just for fun
    You got there first!

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

What's more funny, is that there are 2 church/castle islands with the same name, one of each side of the Channel

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by desean View Post
    place looks more like a church then a castle
    It's Medieval, what d'you expect?

I have heard of this inspiring place in France, (bit like the Holy Island up north in Northumberland (England) but more impressive). I am glad to see that it was not the French that first used the place but the Romano-Bretons (a.k.a Roman culture mixed with Britannian tribes (damn that must have been a good mix). Unsurprisingly the Franks (need I say who they are now) ransacked the place (well what else do barbaric Frenchies do?). So after time the place gets a church (on God's orders you understand) and later a nice big castle. Result: a brilliant inspiration for PJ. We owe God a lot (or at least one of his French Bishops).

A great post! That place sure looks awesome, thank God the French didn't have Henry VIII as a King.

Warmaster Tibs's Avatar Senator

You have to admit the architecture is beatifull.
    The AI is like a retarded overwieght child. He realy want all those fries, he just does not know how to get them. http://img1.coolspacetricks.com/imag...unny/81776.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus View Post
    A great post!
    Why thankyou, I was worried that this thread may go either way......that's how unpredictable this community is...

Inspired me to check the place out sometime in my future travels

Quote Originally Posted by SpankytheMighty View Post
    Inspired me to check the place out sometime in my future travels
    It was truly extraodinary the way I came upon it. We were driving through North France near the North Coast, the fields were completely flat. And in the distance we could see this mound and a tower on it and I thought it must be Minas Tirith.

As we got closer it became more apparent that it wasn't Minas Tirith, but still a very memorable and beautiful site...

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus View Post
    It's Medieval, what d'you expect?

I have heard of this inspiring place in France, (bit like the Holy Island up north in Northumberland (England) but more impressive). I am glad to see that it was not the French that first used the place but the Romano-Bretons (a.k.a Roman culture mixed with Britannian tribes (damn that must have been a good mix). Unsurprisingly the Franks (need I say who they are now) ransacked the place (well what else do barbaric Frenchies do?). So after time the place gets a church (on God's orders you understand) and later a nice big castle. Result: a brilliant inspiration for PJ. We owe God a lot (or at least one of his French Bishops).

A great post! That place sure looks awesome, thank God the French didn't have Henry VIII as a King.

Rather religiously charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    What's more funny, is that there are 2 church/castle islands with the same name, one of each side of the Channel
    St. Michaels in Cornwall was a priory of the abbey Mt.St. Michel in Normandy, so the architecture and the name was surely influenced by it.

Anyways, I must admit when I was in Mont Saint Michel I didn't think of Minas Tirith though I was very impressed, but then it was before the PJ movies...

carth's Avatar Tiro

truly a wonderfull castle/church/island. i like it more then MT
    "By the blood of our people, your lands kept safe."

Muffer Nl's Avatar Praefectus

Ofcourse! It has large plains of grassland around it like the Fields of Pelennor and insetead of a mountain behind it there is the sea. When I stood on the battlements I imagined that the fields were covered with Orcs!
    Actually Mont St. Michel is surounded by water. When it was first built you could reach it 2 times a day for 2 hours depending on the tide. Later on they made a dijk (I'm using the Dutch word here as that is the original name) so you could reach it anytime.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast