Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: ATVTW - Trait/Ancillary Validator

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default ATVTW - Trait/Ancillary Validator

Current Version: Version 2.2.7 (Mar 20 2012)
    Required: .Net Framework v3.5 or better

Download: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2657

What does ATVTW do?

ATVTW is a program which validates the trait/ancillaries/advicethreads for Rome: Total War, Barbarian Invasions, Alexander: Total War, Medieval II Total War and Kingdoms. It checks most problems (common and rare) related to traits/ancillaries, and will display those errors when requested. It displays all information about each trait, ancillary and trigger. It has built in search functionality if you need to move to specific traits/ancillaries/advicethreads/triggers. It checks the traits/ancillaries in descr_strat and export_descr_prebattle_speeches if the traits exist and if the levels are valid. It will also give you a list of traits and ancillaries which cannot be acquired through triggers.

How to use ATVTW:

There are two parts to using ATVTW. The first is parsing the trait/ancillary files, this is the first thing that you do when you start the program. If you haven't used the program before you'll need to create a new setting (mod). This basically involves choosing the engine, the name of the settings and the data folder in which all the files reside. If the setting you want already exists, open it. Upon creating or opening a setting the files will be parsed, this will identify errors (one per trait, ancillary or trigger) where ATVTW cannot properly read a trait, ancillary or trigger. These errors must be fixed before continuing. Once the files are successfully parsed, use the next problem button on each tab to find errors and/or warnings.

Required Files:
    data/export_descr_character_traits.txt
    data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt
    data/descr_cultures.txt
    data/descr_sm_factions.txt
    data/export_descr_buildings.txt
    data/export_descr_units.txt
    data/export_descr_advice.txt
    data/text/export_VnVs.txt
    data/text/export_ancillaries.txt
    data/text/export_advice.txt
    descr_regions.txt in either maps/base or maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/ or maps/campaign/barbarian_invasion/
    data/text/barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlement_names.txt or data/text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

Required M2TW Files:
    data/descr_missions.txt
    data/descr_religions.txt

Optional RTW File:
    data/descr_beliefs.txt

Change log for version 2.2.7

Previous Versions' Change Logs:

Spoiler for Change Logs for Previous Versions

See change log for version 2.2.6 here.
    See change log for version 2.2.4 here.
    See change log for version 2.2.3 here.
    See change log for version 2.2.2 here.
    See change log for version 2.2.1 here.
    See change log for version 2.2.0 here.
    See change log for version 2.1.3 here.
    See change log for version 2.1.2 here.
    See change log for version 2.1.1 here.
    See change log for version 2.1.0 here.
    See change log for version 2.0.7 here.
    See change log for version 2.0.6 here.
    See change log for version 2.0.5 here.
    See change log for version 2.0.4 here.
    See change log for version 2.0.3 here.
    See change log for version 2.0.2 here.
    See change log for version 2.0.1 here.
    See change log for version 2.0 here.
    See change log for version 1.3.1 here.
    See change log for version 1.2 here.
    See change log for version 1.1 here.
    See change log for version 1.0 here.
    Pre 1.0 changes can be found here.

Features to come:
    • Add ability to identify custom trait/ancillary attributes not present in vanilla
    • Add the ability to modify and add to the traits/ancillaries files
    • Improve handling of window resizing for the tabbed portion of the window
    • Add ability to read ancillary images from the packed content (RTW at least) as well as the local ui/ancillaries folder
    • Add ability to monitor files for changes and to reparse files when changes detected
    • Add ability to check scripts for trait/ancillary existence and correct levels (traits only)
    • Any other suggestions that are made that I can figure out how to implement

If you find any bugs or have any suggestions for improvements please post them here or PM them to them.

Special thanks go to Tamur for releasing his code so I could work on it, and to Calvin for all his work in testing the program and all his suggestions for improvements. He will be missed.
    Last edited by Squid; March 20, 2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Updated for version 2.2.7
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Default Re: ATVTW - Trait/Ancillary Validator

Version 2.0

Changes from 1.x Versions:
    This version of ATVTW is an almost total code rewrite from the previous version. I have pretty much gutted everything and redone it. The changes allow the code to be more reusable and easier to read, and will allow me to more easily add features to the program. A list of changes, hopefully complete, is:

• M2TW compatible, including all attributes, conditions, character types, common events, etc.
    • Removed all instances of false positives for errors from the program
    • Added checking for all building, units, religions, missions, paybacks, factions, cultures
    • Checks settlement names against those found in the imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt or barbarian_invasions/descr_strat.txt (if present)
    • Fixed error where all character type is not reported as an error with the AgentType condition
    • Changed UI to a toolstripbar UI instead of buttons (all functionality maintained)
    • Added ability to generate export_descr_VnV_enums.txt and export_descr_ancillary_enums.txt
    • Checks that the requirements of conditions are exported by the events in the trigger
    • Form components will resize if the window is resized
    • Will now report one parsing error per trait, ancillary or trigger as opposed to just the first parsing error found
    • Added checks for more warnings, including duplicate cultures, excludedancillaries and antitraits
    • Check for ancillary images has been added, this requires the file (export_descr_ancillary_images_enums.txt) to be in the data folder. The file export_descr_ancillary_images_enums.txt should contain one ancillary image (including file extension) per line. This can be generated by unpacking the ui folder and doing a directory listing on the data\ui\ancillaries directory and redirecting the output to a file.
    • Settings are remembered between sessions
    • Improved and more specific error messages for when there are an incorrect number of items/tokens on a line
    • Checks that comma seperated lists are actually comma seperated (i.e. antitraits/excludedancillaries)
    • Various other minor bug fixes and corrections

Go to the first post to get the new version.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

-_-

Never idly import RTW ancillaries into M2TW. If you catch yourself doing so, make sure to add the lines Type and Transferable to their entries!

Thank the Gods for this Validator!

EDIT:

I'm receiving messages that uses of the conditions "CharacterAge" and "I_FactionLeaderTrait" are not defined. Does the program recognize these conditions, or am I suffering a syntax error somewhere?
    Last edited by Pnutmaster; November 03, 2009 at 05:47 PM.
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Squid
    many thanks for posting this - will be interesting to use on the latest Stainless Steel versions.
    will report back any issues.
    --------------------------------
    curses - brick wall - there's no descr_religions.txt in the stainless steel data directory
    and I haven't unpacked the rest of the M2TW or Kingdoms files to see if there's more than one,
    let alone work out which one SS uses (hmm - check system.log trace that might show it!)

sorted - the system.log shows it gets it from data/pack_0 and there's only one of those - for M2TW/Kingdoms
    main data folder, not one of the kingdoms scenarios.

so I'll have to unpack and stick the file in the SS/data directory and then run the prog again.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; November 04, 2009 at 05:34 AM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pnutmaster View Post
    EDIT:

I'm receiving messages that uses of the conditions "CharacterAge" and "I_FactionLeaderTrait" are not defined. Does the program recognize these conditions, or am I suffering a syntax error somewhere?
    There is no condition CharacterAge, and it should be FactionLeaderTrait not I_FactionLeaderTrait.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    curses - brick wall - there's no descr_religions.txt in the stainless steel data directory
    and I haven't unpacked the rest of the M2TW or Kingdoms files to see if there's more than one,
    let alone work out which one SS uses (hmm - check system.log trace that might show it!)

sorted - the system.log shows it gets it from data/pack_0 and there's only one of those - for M2TW/Kingdoms
    main data folder, not one of the kingdoms scenarios.

so I'll have to unpack and stick the file in the SS/data directory and then run the prog again.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to read stuff from inside the pak files for M2TW.
    Last edited by Squid; November 04, 2009 at 10:29 AM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Version 2.0.1

This is a bug fix release, all bugs that people have posted, as well as some others have been fixed as were some other issues I noticed.

Changes from 2.0 Versions:

• Fixed display errors with Affects/Effects/Conditions that have errors or warnings
    • Updated message in status textbox when first running ATVTW
    • Fixed missing file check to look for the enum files instead of the enum lookup files
    • Fixed reading the enums so that lines that don't start with an enum header (e.g. if it doesn't have {stuff}) it is ignored)
    • Fixed bug with BI campaign files where the program checked for BI campaign files (descr_regions & descr_strat) but tried to open imperial_campaign versions of them
    • Fixed bug where settlement names were being checked even if no settlement files had been read
    • Fixed bug where ancillary images were being checked even in no ancillary image file names had been read

Last edited by Squid; November 04, 2009 at 11:57 AM.

konny's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Sqυιd View Post
    There is no condition CharacterAge
    There is:

Code:
    Identifier:	CharacterAge
    Trigger requirements:	character_record
    Parameters:	logic token, age
    Sample use:	CharacterAge >= 75
    Description:	Test the age of a character
    Battle or Strat:	Strat
    Class:	CHARACTER_AGE
    Otherwise, great stuff! I will try as soon as possible.

Team member of: Das Heilige Römische Reich, Europa Barbarorum, Europa Barbarorum II, East of Rome
    Modding help by Konny: Excel Traitgenerator, Setting Heirs to your preference
    dHRR 0.8 beta released! get it here
    New: Native America! A mini-mod for Kingdoms America

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Hmm, its not in my version of the docudemons. Was it introduced in kingdoms or something?

EDIT: OK, I was using M2TW docudemons when I made this, the next patch will include kingdoms specific events/conditions. Do kingdoms conditions and events work with the m2tw exe (i.e. will an m2tw mod be able to use CharacterAge)?
    Last edited by Squid; November 04, 2009 at 12:09 PM.

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

Is I_FactionLeaderTrait also specific to Kingdoms?

Identifier: I_FactionLeaderTrait
    Trigger requirements:
    Parameters: faction type, trait description, logic token, level
    Sample use: I_FactionLeaderTrait england BadCommander >= 2
    Description: Test a factions leader traits
    Battle or Strat: Either
    Class: I_FACTION_LEADER_TRAIT_TEST
    Implemented: Yes
    Author: ScottL
    AFAIK, the condition fires correctly. In fact, it's the basis for my "Scribe" system (a dubbed diplomat allows you to see which factions are open to alliances by marriage).
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

I'm going to need to update my docudemon files, as another version I have agrees with you.

Userpro's Avatar =RAE= HostedMod Creator

First of all thanks Sqυιd, for this really usefull tool.
    But i've encountered an issue with it (v2.0.1): When parsing files in the Ancillary-tab, the tool gave me this error everytime and for all ancillaries:
    Error: Ancillary accomplice is not defined in export_ancillaries.txt.
    Error: Description accomplice_desc is not defined in export_ancillaries.txt.
    Error: EffectsDescription accomplice_effects_desc is not defined in export_ancillaries.txt.
    ... although the entries are all correct in the export_ancillaries.txt file.

Thanks again for making & sharing this tool!
    Last edited by Userpro; November 05, 2009 at 09:48 PM.
    Visit our TWC M2TW-Kingdoms Hosted Mods Forum for...

!!! RAE Development stopped --- read last Statement here !!!
    M2TW-Kingdoms Mod Creator REDEO AD EXORDIUM ( RAE )
    Progress: 95% internal final beta release - 85% official release
    RAE TWC-Wiki Eagle Standard interview ... RAE.net Homepage ... RAE TWZ-Germany
    Proudly Sega & Steam Boycotter since ETW! See why here or this petition
    Sorry for bad english here, there and in my tutorials > advanced horde invasion & hide/unhide stratmap-ui & Beginners modding

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Could you upload your files so I can check them to see if I can find whats causing that to appear?

Do u mean all the files which use the validator?
    Last edited by Userpro; November 06, 2009 at 01:29 PM.

Sorry for bad english here, there and in my tutorials > advanced horde invasion & hide/unhide stratmap-ui & Beginners modding

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Yes, the required m2tw files, I can't run the validator on your files unless they're all there. You can just zip them and upload them. If you're worried about unreleased stuff I don't release any files I've been given for testing to anyone and you can PM me a link rather than post them here.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Version 2.0.2

This is a bug fix release, all bugs that people have posted, as well as some others have been fixed as were some other issues I noticed.

Changes from 2.0.1 Version:

• Changed AboutForm to display the build information separately
    • Fixed the parsing of conditions to correctly parse the I_CharacterTypeNearTile Condition
    • Fixed various formatting errors in the error/warning messages for levels
    • Fixed enums with no <tab> after the } not being read correctly
    • Fixed levels not being error checked

Great Sqυιd, will try it out immediately and report back soon!

Perfect work as ever, but one thing i doesn't really understand:
    Why does the condition "AgentType = named character" beeing recognized as invalid?

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

ARGG!! Its a bug in my code, in the original RTW only version of ATVTW I'd handled that AgentType, but when I rewrote the code almost completely I obviously forgot I'd had to specifically code for named character as its a two word entry unlike all the other characters, and I have to deal with that as an exception.

At least i'm only sure about that it is a valid docudemons condition for kingdoms.
    Last edited by Userpro; November 10, 2009 at 12:22 PM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Its valid for RTW and presumably M2TW as well, I just forgot I had to deal with it as a special case. What's the error that ATVTW is giving you for the named character error? Is the "Error: Invalid number of parameters for condition AgentType" or something else?

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast