Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who hates RTS economies?

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Am I the only one who hates RTS economies?

That is pretty much the problem of the genre yes, that they keep repeating Age of Empires 1. At first there was still innovation like with Rise of Nations and of course Age of Empires 2, but after that it stayed pretty much the same.

It's silly though since there still is so much room for improvement both visually and gameplay wise.

-army customization.
    -ability to put missle troops on walls.
    -siege towers, ladders and such. Allowing light castle building elements.
    -finishing animations.
    -Unit formations such as Phalanx, spear wall and wedge.
    -road and bridge building.
    -Focusing on city factions or counties instead of nations for a better sense of scale with just having a few hundred people under your command. I really miss commanding a small army instead of a nation.

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

It would be cool if a company tried to do that hybrid 3rd person/RTS thing Rise & Fall was trying to do, but did it correctly this time.
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Well there's a game called nuclear dawn coming out soon, which is a FPS and RTS. Apparently they've gone out of their way to make sure neither genre is watered down. It's been in development for ages, but not much has been released.

@ Inhuman, I agree. There's potentially a huge amount that could be built into RTS, but it seems to progress very slowly

The strategy market has stagnated, no new developments in the genre for years, aside from Relic's offerings of CoH and DoW I/II.

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

So no one has played Axis and Allies? That to me seemed like the best way to handle economics in a strategy game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Henry X View Post
    So no one has played Axis and Allies? That to me seemed like the best way to handle economics in a strategy game.

I have but i lost the game ages ago so cant remember it that much.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

army customization.
    -ability to put missle troops on walls.
    -siege towers, ladders and such. Allowing light castle building elements.
    -finishing animations.
    -Unit formations such as Phalanx, spear wall and wedge.
    -road and bridge building.
    -Focusing on city factions or counties instead of nations for a better sense of scale with just having a few hundred people under your command. I really miss commanding a small army instead of a nation.
    0ad.

If 0ad is ever finished, that is.

Bah RTS is always a bloody clickfest either way. Either because I'm having to frantically manage economics or frantically maneuver troops around a million different way all the time.
    It's why I absolutely hate muliplayer in RTS games. No matter what happens I cannot take it easy unless I'm against the AI or friends. Though I've managed to enjoy a few online.

Dawn of War was a nice middle ground. Two resources, strategic points, simple cover/health/morale system. DoW2 was a pile of crap for me though. To few units possible and cover system was to needy of my attention.
    Age of Mythology was great for me. Slower paced, only four resources unlike Empire Earth, and simple tech work.
    CnC Generals was fun mostly with friends. One resource that takes care of itself later on and the unit micromanagement was simple though pathfinding always drove me nuts. "Let's form a line guys!" "Yeah only the front guy will be in range at any given time!"

I enjoyed Men of War but I hated the muliplayer unless it was Co-Op. Same for Company of Heroes. Tried Starcraft, way to fast for me. Among other things.

The only RTS i would agree can turn into a clickfest is SC2, although with a better unit composition you can win with low apm. I still find it quite intense and stressful even when you know you are ahead.
    In comparison I find other RTS a nice change of pace, where you can hold position, defend, tech up instead of trying to do everything at once.

I never play any RTS online unless its with friends against the computer. Just against the AI is fine with me.

Oddly enough games like heroes of might and magic VI might be the closest thing to a traditional strategy game like this. Maybe they should make a game like that in a historical way sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by beng_man View Post
    Rowan, have you tried playing LOTR: The Battle For Middle Earth? The good sides are a turtler's best friends, especially Gondor. You also won't find peasants running around collecting resources for the most part, as only the evil factions can build them.
    I played 2 and it was rather to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

2 was garbage. The original was better though I'd hardly say it was stellar.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I liked resource gathering in EAW. You just built mining facilities on the planets and you'd get resources every day.

The fortress building was quite nice in BFME2, every upgrade was visual and there where quite a few. The ability to create your own hero was also rather refreshing.

Sadly the AI was braindead and always goes after your buildings and ignores your troops, and some factions can't build walls. Putting Gondor and Rohan into a single faction is also a bit weird.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

I like the resource gathering aspect, I just dont like the combat system. Like OP said.... throwing the strongest toughest unit into the fray.

thatguy's Avatar Domesticus

World in Conflict was freaking awesome though.

http://www.battledebate.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Or perhaps you've been missing the point of modern warfare? Crush the enemy within a month and then fight an insurgency for the next 10 years..
    Quote Originally Posted by spl00ge View Post
    I just got 9 inches.

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    I never play any RTS online unless its with friends against the computer. Just against the AI is fine with me.

Oddly enough games like heroes of might and magic VI might be the closest thing to a traditional strategy game like this. Maybe they should make a game like that in a historical way sometimes.
    Same.

I only play FPS games online.

AI will always be my opponent in every other game.

As long as RTS games have sandbox mode I am golden.
    2010 ,2012,2014 World Series Champions: San Francisco Giants
    1962, 1989, 2002

Online gaming does work fine for shooters yes, unless they have stupid reward systems that reward those that play the game more with rediculous overpowered bonuses since that kills the game for anyone that just play it casually once in a while. But the great thing about shooters is, if someone better than you kills you ten times, you will get a real sense of accomplishment when you kill that guy if only just once, and in shooters thats very much possible.
    In strategy games its just impossible to anyone who plays such games online a lot, same goes for most genres.

Geleco's Avatar Domesticus

edit: wrong thread somehow
    Last edited by Geleco; July 01, 2011 at 08:22 PM.

The Black Reaper's Avatar Hell's Gate

company of heroes was a good RTS.. not that much resource gathering either... Just taking over and controlling points that increased your "money"

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0 GHz | CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 + | Mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1333 MHz | PSU: Antec Truepower 650W | GPU: Evga Geforce GTX 580

Under the Patronage of the Honorable Nicholas Rush

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast