Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum 1.6a: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 1.6: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion Thread

you need to set UNLIMITED_AMMO: FALSE in your preferences file

as for your formations, do you mean how they start out on the battlefield? or you can't move them around before starting a battle?

Nono i can't modify the "type formation"... there is no button for "loose formation"!!
    And there isn't the button "start the battle", i play immediatly if an enemy attacks me. do you understand?
    Finally: where is preferences file?

Sorry for bad english

Hoplites and some other units do NOT have a loose formation. Actually, they technically do, its the same as their regular formation.

Donno about your no "start the battle" button.

For those who have steam and have purchased rome total war gold and the alexander expansion, and wish to get this mod working without the "cannot find steam" error, Ive got instructions as to how to make it work (if this has been posted before, feel free to delete this post as it is obsolete).

After installing the mod as usual (into rome total war gold folder),
    open steam's games menu, right click "Rome : Total War Gold", and click on "Create desktop shortcut". Once its done, right click the shortcut youve just created and select properties, there will be a line that says something like :

Target : "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 4760
    (at least, thats the target path for me).

Copy that line, then right click on your "Roma surrectum" shortcut on your desktop, and select properties, then overwrite the target path that has been placed there by the install.
    Now what this will do is that whenever you will click on the "Roma surrectum" shortcut, the mod will launch through steam while using the RTW original exe (it doesnt use the BI one).

These were the instructions to make the mod work for steam users,using the rtw standard exe.

IMPORTANT NOTE : THE WRITTEN INSTRCUTIONS BELOW THUS FAR WERE NOT PROVEN TO WORK IN ANY WAY SHAPE AND FORM, IN FACT, ITS LIKELY THAT RTW MODS WHICH ARE NOT MOD-FOLDERED CANNOT BE USED WITH THE ALX.EXE THROUGH STEAM.
    THIS IS WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS TO WARN STEAM USERS WHO MAY HAVE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW.

Now,due to my interest in better ai, Ive heard that if the mod runs via the alexander exe, the ai will improve quite a bit, which has led me to tinkering a little with the target path and the "Start in : " line in the shortcut properties.
    Once Ive finished doing the above, I set forth to try and make the mod work using the Alexander exe.
    Ive tried to change both the target and the "Start in: " line 3 times or so.
    Now, in two of those attempts, the roma surrectum shortcut would launch the alexander expansion, which is meaningless,
    But on my third attempt, the mod started up (Presumably using the alexander exe).

In order to make that happen, you must write in the "Start in : " line

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war gold"

and change whatever is written in the "Target" Line to the following:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 4760 -show_err -nm -mod:alexander

This (again) is supposed to make the mod work using the Alexander exe, thus improving the ai, after making these changes, Ive noticed an improvement with the AI's abilities in combat, as well as in campaign.

Yet Im not 100% certain of this.
    To confirm whether this works 100%, well, to make sure, a person with steam whos been playing with this mod long enough using the original rtw exe (I cant tell really, havent played this mod all that much), has to test the mod's ai using the alexander exe (as explained above how to do that) to see if theres indeed a considerable ai diffrence, if there is, then it works, if its pretty much the same, well, then Ive accomplished nothing.
    (if you play-test this, let me know of your results, so I can know whether my solution works or it requires further tinkering).
    Im going to play-test this as well quite a bit, and see if theres any notable diffrences.

Important Note : Making these changes in order to use the ALX exe,will change the location of your saves folder.
    in order to find your new save folder, make a test save (called, for instance, "TEST"), then search for it, wherever that test save file will be found, that is the new save folder where you'll have to transfer your save game files from your previous folder, in order to continue playing previous campaigns.
    For me, the path to the new save games folder is:
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war gold\alexander\saves
    This will be created after you first start the mod with the changes mentioned above,
    Logicly, the line Ive written above (".....-applaunch 4760 -show_err -nm -mod:alexander")
    should start the mod using ALX exe as a mod, but the creation of this file, makes me wonder if perhaps the rome total war alexander folder should be transferred into the rome total war gold folder, rename it to alexander, and then the changes will apply.
    All the more important why I need playtesters to prove my currently written solution right or wrong. still, I will attempt this folder modification sometime, untill playtesters feedback proves my solution to be 100% accurate in the first place.

Credits for inspiring the new instructions to try making the mod utilize ALX exe, goes to
    ROFL Copter.
    The thread which has given me the new idea:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=291563

Edit : have been tinkering around, trying to get the mod to use eitheir BI exe or ALX exe, both to no avail so far.
    Edit : New instructions to make the mod work using the ALX exe, requires playtesters to confirm AI improvement, will attempt new idea, and post results here.
    Edit : Currently asking the advice of kdub22, a fellow forum member whom posted instructions to explain how to make Europa barbaroum work, using the ALX exe, with Steam.
    As well as making m2tw mods work with Steam.
    Edit : I think it may not be possible at all to make rtw mods work with ALX.exe through steam, I may try it again the future, but Im currently tired of my experiments.

~Regards RCOG.
    Last edited by RCOG; February 11, 2010 at 06:14 PM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Thank you...I referenced this in the 'Compiled Info' thread.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

No problem,by the way, is it possible to 'retire' generals? if so, how?, Ive never managed to find a 'retirement' button of any sort.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

There isn't.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

well, you could send them on a boat trip which then ends..."unlucky"

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

I let my generals die campaigning. If they get very old and the movement suffers they tend to get retired back to a large settlement or my capital (after passing on any decent retinues - like churigeon onto the new general).

I think some people suggest that when any governor or field army general reaches 'a certain age' that they get shadowed by their successor for an easy transition of power.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post

I think some people suggest that when any governor or field army general reaches 'a certain age' that they get shadowed by their successor for an easy transition of power.
    Yup, think of it as the new blood learning from the old guard (and taking their best retinues whilst they're at it!)

**RS Dev Team***Reciprocal Repper!* RIP Calvin- you will be missed

So thats what all those age traits insinuate, thanks everyone.
    Also, as far as Ive tried to make roma surrectum use the alexander exe via steam, Ive reached a dead end,
    Roma surrectum is installed at the rome total war gold folder which is seperate from the rome total war alexander folder, meaning, that even after the installation of roma surrectum, the alexander expansion can be played, when I tried to install the mod inside the alexander folder, and all the while, changing the target path to the alexander exe, it starts the alexander expansion and crashes upon loading (as it should after the installation of roma surrectum). if I change the path to the one that starts the mod using the rome total war exe (tried to start it using the BI exe to no avail, "failed to load mount" ......),
    then it accomplishes nothing new.
    Im stuck on finding the solution as to how to activate the mod via any exe other than the RomeTW one.

srry if this is posted elsewhere in advance, but is this mod-foldered?

No and it ain't going to be.
    Son of Legio
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

why not?

Quote Originally Posted by romanman753 View Post
    why not?
    To many changes to the original essentially. Team has no time unfortunately to make it mod foldered

**RS Dev Team***Reciprocal Repper!* RIP Calvin- you will be missed

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by romanman753 View Post
    why not?
    Better question is why. You can buy a terrabyte drive for almost nothing now a days and people are complaining about a couple of gigs.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

BUT, RS2 is modfoldered.......to itself! Haha. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

hi guys. quick question. what is a reccomended difficulty for RS 1.6? I play vanilla on H/H or VH/H. Should I start a bit lower with your mod?

THanks!

H/H or Vh(battles)/H(Strat).
    I would say start on H/H and increase to VH/H if you find it to be to easy.

Welcome btw.
    Son of Legio

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    BUT, RS2 is modfoldered.......to itself! Haha. Sorry, couldn't resist.
    DVK, you're a mean, mean man!

Parsman's Avatar Libertus

I know that Roma Surrectum disables BI and other mods, but I ask anyway: Is there any chance to restore them? )