Thread: Greek equivalent of Gibbon?

Default Greek equivalent of Gibbon?

The decline and fall of the Roman empire was immortalized and masterly presented by Edward Gibbon. Is there an equivalent modern work for the Greek/Hellenistic era? Does Greek history have a Gibbon?

Opifex

Default Re: Greek equivalent of Gibbon?

You mean from the Enlightenment era? Or something modernly written?

I'm asking because you'd be tough out of luck to find something with the same style and sweep of history in the modern day.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Well, anything from say the 1760's till today. Something of epic scope.

Opifex

Probably nothing. I don't mean to compare him to Gibbon per se, but if you want to get the heroic feeling of hoplites, nothing is better than the 2-3 works by Victor Davis Hanson. Hellenistic history, in an epic sense, is probably best in Peter Green's 'From Alexander to Actium' (though he hates the Romans, so not too objective about them).

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Thanks Signifer. I read Hanson's "A War Like No Other" and thought it was fantastic! Alexander to Actium is on my wish list.

Gibbon, as in boring, outdated and often quite wrong?

No, I don't think so

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Lance-Corporal Jones View Post
    Gibbon, as in boring, outdated and often quite wrong?

No, I don't think so
    Well, if that's what his looking for I can point out some Greek elementary school textbooks.

Nevins's Avatar Semper Gumby
    Civitate

In John Keegan's book A History of Warfare he fully explores Hoplite tactics, why they evolved in Greece, and supplies a nice timeline of Greek battle. Its an excellent read, and the chapter of two on Greece is really well put together.
    Client of the honorable Gertrudius!

Opifex

None of these are epic however; not Keegan's at least, insofar as I know of it.

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Nevins's Avatar Semper Gumby
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne View Post
    None of these are epic however; not Keegan's at least, insofar as I know of it.
    Well, I don't think that such an epic exists so I am trying to work with what we are given.
    Client of the honorable Gertrudius!

Quote Originally Posted by Fingy View Post
    The decline and fall of the Roman empire was immortalized and masterly presented by Edward Gibbon.
    A masterful fantasy tale indeed.

Opifex

Quote Originally Posted by Nevins View Post
    Well, I don't think that such an epic exists so I am trying to work with what we are given.
    That's what I'm saying though, Hanson does well from the perspective of an epic and a moral angle (although his work is spread across a few works, instead of a single one).

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

It's it's difficult to imagine a similar epic - In Rome you have the success story (and the failure story) from tiny city state to Europe wide empire to collapse in a span of centuries. No one else not Athens, Sparta, Thebes, Syracuse, Macedonia (or is bastard successors), nor Gaul Carthage or Parthia managed the same... so any epic history would necessarily be much smaller in scale, place and time.
    Last edited by conon394; December 12, 2009 at 10:35 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Why would you want to read Gibbon? Either buy a scholarly history book or a novel, don't get a book that tries to be both and fails miserably. Go for either accuracy or fiction, don't get one that tries to be both.

Opifex

Have you read Gibbon even once? It is a masterpiece of English language. So no need to pile on something that no other historian has written about as well.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    It's it's difficult to imagine a similar epic - In Rome you have the success story (and the failure story)from tiny city state to Europe wide empire to collapse in a span of centuries. No one else not Athens, Sparta, Thebes, Syracuse, Macedonia (or is bastard succesors), nor Gaul Carthage or Parthia manages the same... so any epic history would necessarily be much smaller in scale, place and time.
    Tat's kind of where I disagree; not on the issue of scale obviously, but on the issue of tremendous epic feeling. That's what Hanson succeeds in conveying so well, when he paints the virtuous citizen farmer hoplite, whose analogies to Cincinnatus are more than accidental. I agree that imperial (i.e. hellenistic) Greek history is far less admirable and spectacular, but the civic/republican history and spirit are tremendous. I'm sure some Victorians have written a history with that in mind, but I don't know of any, so Hanson remains the only title I can recommend from that angle. Plus his Who Killed Homer is untoppable.
    Last edited by SigniferOne; December 11, 2009 at 10:34 PM.

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Opifex

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Does Greek history have a Gibbon?
    Again what Conon said. Damn, you beat me to cocluding the thread twice in a single day! But I want to add a few things. The fall of the Greek world couldn't not have been specacular within the confines of romanticism because of two factors
    1. the Romans were there to take up the standard of the West and allow civilisation to keep thriving afterwards.
    2. there are no intense religious clashes, groundbreaking barbarian invasions and fascinating social tranformations accompanying its fall

In short, the fall of Rome can be viewed as the twillight of the old world and thus is far more captivating and intriguing than fall of the classical city-states or the hellenistic kingdoms and confederations. So no Gibbon
    Last edited by Timoleon of Korinthos; December 12, 2009 at 09:54 AM.
    "Blessed is he who learns how to engage in inquiry, with no impulse to hurt his countrymen or to pursue wrongful actions, but perceives the order of the immortal and ageless nature, how it is structured."
    Euripides

"This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which avails us nothing and which man should not wish to learn."
    Augustine