View Poll Results: Who would you support in their claim as King of England?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • Harold Godwinson of England

89 45.18%
  • Harald Hardrada of Norway

53 26.90%
  • William of Normandy

55 27.92%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would You Support Harald, Harold or William?

Banzai's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Would You Support Harald, Harold or William?

William, he had the most valid claims and he was betrayed by godwinson. And I think the Normans were über sweet.
    "We have the best Congress that money can buy." Will Rogers

"I take my children everywhere, but they always find their way back home."
    Robert Orben

"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million."
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

Haraldr haršrįši

I will support Harold, mainly because he never had the time to be king, and William and Harald wanted the throne, since they had most chance to become king but didn't and because my blood made my brain vote for him.

Harald Hardrada for the chance to change history forever, especially about the dreaded English(or British if you will) empire of the 17th-20th century. not to mention that an actual Viking empire as opposed to mere raids would have been sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by 13lackGu4rd View Post
    Harald Hardrada for the chance to change history forever, especially about the dreaded English(or British if you will) empire of the 17th-20th century. not to mention that an actual Viking empire as opposed to mere raids would have been sweet.
    'the dreaded english'! i like it..FEAR US..FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES..THE ENGLISH ARE COMING! time to put on my +5 pantaloons of dreadfull scorning and sort the normans out.

Harold would have gone down in history as the greatest ever Englishman and also one of the greatest military commanders of all time had he not died at Hastings, all he needed to do was stay alive for 30 mins or so when it got dark.
    falnk with cavlary. stay a way from muder hoels.

I voted for William the Conqueror - despite him being a bastard he managed to succed his father as duke, lead his forces in war when he was only 16, squashed a rebellion of Norman barons who tried to get rid of him in his young years, earned himself the epithet "The conquerer" after his campaigns in britanny and last but not least succesfully conquered England (luck had no doubt a great part in it, but also Williams skill as a miltary commander and determination). And after all his actions had a deciding impact on the future of Britain.
    "He will die, but you will be destroyed" - Marion. From the AAR "Sword of Albion" by Theodotos I.

I would support Harold (The horny Hunter) in his hunt ! :

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFlsD6Ls8ok

But there is only Harold in this mod now, isn't it?
    I hope someone make historical family tree and portrait.

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

a blood-thirsty norse bastard, an opportunistic french-speaking norse bastard, or the King? I think by the laws of fealty there is only one option available...
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

I personally believe that the story about Harold swearing fealty to William and still taking the English throne is a load of bullcrap for a variety of reasons, and the fact that Harold Godwinson was a real tough warrior (not to mention i'm 60% Angle, but also 30% dane.), so I vote Harold.
    Last edited by Imperial Eagle; January 11, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
    A blood-thirsty norse bastard, an opportunistic french-speaking norse bastard, or the King? I think by the laws of fealty there is only one option available.. - sirfiggin

all hail Harold Godwinson the Saxon King!!!!!!!!!!!

Harold, the true king of England.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

lord of eras's Avatar Libertus
    Somewhere, Undisclosed Location aka Castle Eras

Hail Harold II, the true king of the Angles and Saxons!
    My AARs, in chronological order (read them all!):
    Dragon of Wessex, my very first attempt, halted after one introductory chapter (thus showcasing my willingness to commit), a MTW:VI AAR
    Antonius of Cerdices's Chronicle, one prologue and one chapter, for IBFD
    The British Resurrection of the Roman Empire, my longest-ever AAR (so far), twelve chapters, for IBFD
    Of Ravens and Dragons, my first 'character' AAR, three chapters, for VI2

Dead men DO tell tales, a 'hybrid' AAR, 10 chapters (so far), resurrected 15/8/12 (for Crusader Kings II)
    Peers of the Realm, a Savegame AAR, 6 chapters (so far) updated 14/8/12 (CK2)

Ha, Harald and William got pwned....
    A blood-thirsty norse bastard, an opportunistic french-speaking norse bastard, or the King? I think by the laws of fealty there is only one option available.. - sirfiggin

I read about him, and to be honest, Harold wasn't really that bad of a guy.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

William of course!

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

am a hayes so I would have to say the Normans.

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

MagUidir's Avatar Biarchus
    a little bit every where. from Tennessee but now Live in California.

id say harold, even though it would have been kinda sweet to see what the world would have been like with the british isles being ruled by the vikings

As an Englishmen, although it would obviously change much of modern England, I would side with Harold Godwinson certainly. William did not have the greatest claim. He was not a blood relative of the King, was not English and had not the support of the Witenagemot. He completely overturned the ancient traditions of England.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast