Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: EsfEditor 1.4.5 (Updated Oct 24, 2009)

Default EsfEditor 1.4.5 (Updated Oct 24, 2009)

NEW FEATURES

• Enhanced Node Titles (1.4.4)
    • Enhanced Speed (1.4.5)
    • Posted Corrected NodesDescriptions.xml file (10/24)

BACKGROUND

I've finished a very modest update to the EsfEditor. My main achievement has been to make it easier to discern the node contents. You shouldn't feel so much like you're "flying blind."

Please be aware that I've never really done any programming before two months ago and my knowledge of C# (in which the editor's programmed) reflects that fact. By the time koras321 got finished with 1.4.3, the EsfEditor was a fairly sophisticated piece of software (for a newb like me, anyway ). In addition, I had to decompile the last build to get the most recent code, so I had no documentation. However, just's original source code and alpaca's excellent esf search utility (which while written in Python, shares the same basic algorithms with the EsfEditor) were well documented and proved quite helpful.

FUTURE PLANS
    There are many more features I'd like to include, but I'm not sure how much more time I have. At the very least, expect to see the current features expanded.

SUPPORT

I'll support what I can, but as I wrote above, I'm a novice. I understand generally how the code works, but I can only fix what I understand.

THANKS
    Many thanks to just, koras321, alpaca, and Paul Davey (aka "Mattahan"). The latter gentleman produced several thousand outstanding icons, all of which are open source. I've included one in the distro. I've also included a NodeDescription.xml recently posted by Lazy Knight, but I'm not sure if his additions are showing up.

STARTPOS Screenshot
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

REGIONS Screenshot

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

REQUIREMENTS

.NET Framework 3.5

SOURCECODE
    This program is distributed freely as open source software. You may make any changes you like with or without permission.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/esfeditor/files/
    Last edited by erasmus777; October 24, 2009 at 09:39 PM.

Default Re: EsfEditor 1.4.4

nice work man... i'd plus rep but it won't let me.

Default Re: EsfEditor 1.4.4 (Updated Oct 12, 2009)

That was a surprise! Thanks man, very helpful, it is going to reduce boring searches of those endless lists, save valuable time and protect our nerves. Hope you expand your changes in CAI fields, +rep!

I love the new icon for the program:

This is how I feel when I'm modding this game. It's so much harder when compared with previous TW games that it seems necessary to have an axe to break the code .
    Last edited by Boicote; October 13, 2009 at 06:57 AM.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

You must have read my mind, I was just about to make a quick hack of just's old version in order to be able to more easily find nodes. Can I have the source code asap, please?

Edit: Is it me or is it slow?
    Last edited by alpaca; October 13, 2009 at 07:37 AM.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Tried to modify a savegame to remove some of the units in an army and thus removed some UNITS_ARRAY entries of said units... but even after removing one of them, saving and looking at the file again, after I open the node "CAMPAIGN_ENV", I get an error message that I also get in 1.4.3:

System.Exception: Unsupported value type: 37 at: 0
    bei EsfEditor.Parser.EsfParser.ValueParser(IEsfNode parent)
    bei EsfEditor.Core.EsfObjects.EsfSingleNode.Parse()
    bei EsfEditor.Parser.TitleParser.GetTitle(IEsfNode node, List`1& children)
    bei EsfEditor.Forms.EsfEditorForm.treeView_AfterExpand(Object sender, TreeViewEventArgs e)
    bei System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnExpanded(NMTREEVIEW* nmtv)
    bei System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
    bei System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
    bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    You must have read my mind, I was just about to make a quick hack of just's old version in order to be able to more easily find nodes. Can I have the source code asap, please?

Edit: Is it me or is it slow?
    Yes, it's slower, but I'm working on the performance. I'm teaching myself in my spare time, so I still have lots to learn If you have any suggestions, let me know.

I'm still getting the sourceforge site setup, but here's the code. I made a few changes, let me know if you notice better performance after compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by erasmus777 View Post
    Yes, it's slower, but I'm working on the performance. I'm teaching myself in my spare time, so I still have lots to learn If you have any suggestions, let me know.

I'm still getting the sourceforge site setup, but here's the code. I made a few changes, let me know if you notice better performance after compilation.
    Ah, you requested hosting by SF? Then you might want to set up SVN. If you add me to the dev group I'll put any changes I make there, then. My user name is alpaka (with a k)

No source there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhit View Post
    Tried to modify a savegame to remove some of the units in an army and thus removed some UNITS_ARRAY entries of said units... but even after removing one of them, saving and looking at the file again, after I open the node "CAMPAIGN_ENV", I get an error message that I also get in 1.4.3:

System.Exception: Unsupported value type: 37 at: 0
    bei EsfEditor.Parser.EsfParser.ValueParser(IEsfNode parent)
    bei EsfEditor.Core.EsfObjects.EsfSingleNode.Parse()
    bei EsfEditor.Parser.TitleParser.GetTitle(IEsfNode node, List`1& children)
    bei EsfEditor.Forms.EsfEditorForm.treeView_AfterExpand(Object sender, TreeViewEventArgs e)
    bei System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnExpanded(NMTREEVIEW* nmtv)
    bei System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
    bei System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
    bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    Obviously you made some error. I can't help you with the message, but I can tell about the possible error in your changes. If you tried to disband units this cannot be done (CTD). The only way you can do it is live in game and make hybrid startpos (see my tutorial about startpos.esf). If you tried to place them to another location this can be done but you have to know two factors. First you have to change cai army record as well. Second, an army has always one or more characters so all changes must be applied to characters as well. Since this is a lot of work and an easy-to-make-error one, you can use also here hybrid method.

Ah, you requested hosting by SF? Then you might want to set up SVN. If you add me to the dev group I'll put any changes I make there, then. My user name is alpaka (with a k)

No source there though.
    Will do.

Try this...

i think that felt faster... the only times i get the slowdown is when i open the CAI stuff which has a ton of entries... or when im editing certain entries.

No source there though.
    You're setup for svn. The files have been committed and a link added to the OP for anyone else who wants the source code.

You're setup for svn. The files have been committed and a link added to the OP for anyone else who wants the source code.
    Checking out. If you want to set up your repository with SVN instead of downloading manually, the correct link is https://esfeditor.svn.sourceforge.ne...oot/esfeditor/

Erasmus: It's customary to have a trunk, branches and tags in the SVN root. The idea is that the trunk gets the main version that's worked on, a tag is created whenever a public release is made and the branches are when people try to do more experimental stuff and don't want it to interfere with the trunk. Not saying that you have to do this but it's a well-tried and -established pattern.

May I suggest handling this differently and mapping node names to relevant child nodes by hand via an XML file or something? The problem with a generic approach is that it usually doesn't do what you want. For example, it'd be great to be able to display the ID, slot ID and settlement ID for the CAI_building_slots

Edit: Seems to run a lot faster now, by the way.

May I suggest handling this differently and mapping node names to relevant child nodes by hand via an XML file or something? The problem with a generic approach is that it usually doesn't do what you want. For example, it'd be great to be able to display the ID, slot ID and settlement ID for the CAI_building_slots

Edit: Seems to run a lot faster now, by the way.
    That's a good suggestion and the direction I'm moving in. Unfortunately, that's not something I've dealt with yet, so it'll take a little work. For the moment, however, I've updated to version 1.4.5, which I hope everyone will find to be faster.

I'll also see if I can get the svn file structure organized better.
    Last edited by erasmus777; October 13, 2009 at 01:32 PM.

Default Re: EsfEditor 1.4.5 (Updated Oct 13, 2009)

it's kinda choppy... like if somebody kept hitting refresh...

Once i open the CAI it takes a second to open anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursisanafou View Post
    it's kinda choppy... like if somebody kept hitting refresh...

Once i open the CAI it takes a second to open anything.
    k. let's try again...

yea thats much faster

Quote Originally Posted by Cursisanafou View Post
    yea thats much faster
    Great to hear

Take your time, Rome wasn't build in a day. If you have time, it'd be good to add numerical indices for multinode children that don't have titles (CAI entries for example) - this would make it easier to find things and cross-compare with my python tool.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast