• Rome

2 0.20%
  • Imperialism in the late 19th and early 20th centuries

0 0%
  • Late Medieval

3 0.30%
  • 1200s

1 0.10%
  • Use world map, but make our own countries based off of it and modern countries with their populations. Very loosely based off of world history.

1 0.10%
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: RawR! OOC threads!

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Default Re: Hypothetical Colonial Alliances: 1512

What will be the rules for time taken to colonise far away areas what if someone decides to go to say New Zealand and colonise?
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

MuttonChops's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blackadder View Post
    What will be the rules for time taken to colonise far away areas what if someone decides to go to say New Zealand and colonise?
    Oh you mean if say the Ottomans for the Lulz, decided to colonize New Zealand?

Hmm, interesting...I will follow this see if fruit comes from it.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Oh you mean if say the Ottomans for the Lulz, decided to colonize New Zealand?
    If the Ottomans defeat the Mamluks as they did historically, they have a really good chance to colonize that area.

As for the actual question, The big thing is time taken to travel there. If you are Portugal, and Australia has been discovered (I don't think it is at the start of the game), and you travel around Africa (assuming you start in Portugal), it could take around a turn in game to reach it (if a turn is a year, that might work. I need to study the speed of ships in this era a little more). Once you find a suitable location to colonize, the process of making it an established colony are the same, but due to the distance it would have a worse chance of surviving. The more colonies in the area for such a far away land, the better chance it has to survive though (other colonies that are off to a better start can help make sure the colony survives).

Course, if you find just the perfect bay in New Zealand, all this may not matter and they could survive without you for a while.

EDIT: The actual rules will be more refined than these.
    Last edited by Confederate Jeb; February 27, 2010 at 09:27 AM.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Default Re: Hypothetical Apocalypse Alliances

I really want to see this start up. Are you still planning on coming up with some rules or are you waiting for the others to die down?

Magic Man's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Theres a WA thats just starting up, so i don't know if that'll suck time from this.

Suppose it depends on how successful it is.

Theres a WA thats just starting up, so i don't know if that'll suck time from this.

Suppose it depends on how successful it is.
    Wait, you mean mine? Cause if not I really need to start thinking which games I'll be joining.

I plan on getting an updated version of the map up today, plus some of the current rules.

Just a note, as to why some provinces are larger than others when other areas of the same size get split into many more provinces. It's really for balance as well as the importance of the region. If I made every province about the same size, the Ottomans might have over 100 provinces to start with, and that would be pretty ugly.

Also, Germany and the surrounding countries are hard to draw/even out, so do not laugh at my Switzerland or Austria. I know they are bad...okay, horrible. But they get the job done!

EDIT: Added Switzerland, Joseon Dynasty, House of Hapsburg, and parts of the Teutonic Knights, Hungary-Bohemia, and Moscow. I've decided to merge Swabia-Bavaria with the Rhineland faction (as I currently call it ), so that there are only 3 HRE factions, but I will allow the Teutonic Knights and Hungary-Bohemia to be considered parts of it (as the knights and Bohemia were both technically parts of it). I will probably make the Livonian Order part of it as well.

Since this update I've made the color of Switzerland darker. It was too close to the rebel/blank color.
    Last edited by Confederate Jeb; November 09, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

Problem Sleuth's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I need to talk to some people first to get some stuff hammered out, and then this will probably get going. I may delay it simply because I don't want want to compete with two other games, and if I want to compete, I may have to rush it, which could result in botched rules or a bad start.
    Armed with your TOMMY GUN, you are one hard boiled lug. Nobody mess with this tough guy, see?

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

So, factions will have like 25 or so people on average?

I'm interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Man
    obviously I'm a large angry black woman and you're a hot blonde!

Also, what about Hungary? They were still a pretty big country, being the buffer between Christian Europe and the Ottomans they should be a major, and they haven't been destroyed yet
    I agree, they were also in personal union with Bohemia.

Perhaps Muscovy would be open? I would love the idea of expanding it then establishing colonies for a nice alternate history.
    Last edited by Prodigal; March 01, 2010 at 10:46 PM.

Default Alliances Game

I was thinking of making an alliances game of my own, and was thinking of ideas, like WWI or the Chinese warring states period(which would include all of Asia I think, not just China) when it hit me that many people have their own ideas of alliance games they would like. So, any recommendations for a good alliance game?
    Last edited by Prodigal; March 03, 2010 at 07:54 PM.

Default Re: Alliances Game

in my opinion, the best alliance game was 1715 by Aetius. I was pretty successful, but fell apart with Aetius leaving.

I agree, they were also in personal union with Bohemia.

Perhaps Muscovy would be open? I would love the idea of expanding it then establishing colonies for a nice alternate history.
    Both Muscovy and Hungary-Bohemia are present in the game, and both are important factions.

With how much history I've been going through on these factions I'd be surprised if I messed up that badly on one.

Stellar alliances if you like Scifi stuff.

If you don't... well d'oh.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitsar View Post
    I was thinking of making an alliances game of my own, and was thinking of ideas, like WWI or the Chinese warring states period(which would include all of Asia I think, not just China) when it hit me that many people have their own ideas of alliance games they would like. So, any recommendations for a good alliance game?
    Roman. Never been done before, easy to find maps and history for, and generally well liked.

Each of the historical games work for specific people, just as Stellar goes for Sci-fi lovers. Fantasy and World alliances typically are for everyone and allow a lot more customization, as does Stellar, though you normally have to fit the history/regulations.

You know, I'm not sure what era I really prefer. Ones that have a lot of action worldwide or are a pivotal moment in history always fit the bill.

Perhaps imperialism in the late 19th and early 20th centuries...

Indefinitely Banned
    Castle 2_5_2, Kingdom of Swissland, BlackHawkClan Empire

YAY, SWISS !!