Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting to miss "Exterminate Populace"...

Default Starting to miss "Exterminate Populace"...

Hi all!

First, sorry for such a newbish topic, but this simple problem is kind of bugging me, so I figured I'd ask for some advice from the more senior Empire-ers!

I bought Empire a couple of days ago after deciding I'd had enough of Rome and the original Medieval (yes yes, it's old now, I know ), and so far it's been a blast.

Started as Great Britain, big campaign, just so I could check out the wealth of new mechanics. I'm just about getting the hang of naval battles now, guns etc.

First thing I did after a bit of looking around was declare war on France after one of their ships accidentally blocked me from moving through the Channel. Unacceptable!

A couple of years later, and I'm smugly sitting on what was Louis' comfy throne in Paris. I'm having far more trouble with their populace than their army, however.

I've exempted them from taxes, moved in a full banner repressi-err, peace-keeping force, and done every thing I can see to be possible to cheer them up a bit. They have a new classy theatre. That didn't help.
    Etc. etc.

So far I've had a small rebellion (which I destroyed as violently as possible), and a whole bunch of angry letter-sending nobles. And so it continues. They're constantly angry, and I continue to let them live with criminally lenient taxes.

I'm now stuck with my whole army in a place I supposedly own, apparently unable to appease the populace even the slightest. They have the whole "resentment of occupation" thing going, and it refuses to diminish. I'm not sure whether I should just leave them to it, lest I suddenly find my King gets killed or something.

How do you guys prefer to conquer? Is there some trick to breaking the populace in a bit, or is it just a case of grabbing lots of regions and then taking out uprisings as they happen?

I'm almost tempted to just let the region explode, merely so I can cut down all the leftover troublemakers, but I have no idea if that works or not.

Any assistance appreciated!

Default Re: Starting to miss "Exterminate Populace"...

heres how it works, u declared war on them, they angry because you destroyed their nation and brought war tot he continent I wouldn't be happy about that either

Solution:wait it out and crush all rebellions and get some dragoons and when they finnally start making money again dont tax them too hard

pattonrommel's Avatar Centenarius

You know, I kind of miss the options that Medieval and Rome gave you. Exterminate and sacking were really useful, though I am not sure how they would connect to this time period. But still, the option to crack down on your new found city or even just completely sack it and abandon it if your campaign is faltering would give more leeway than to just hold tight and wait for the inevitable rebel uprising. But then again, there isn't much you can do in taking over an enemy's capital except reinforce as the population becomes calmer.

On another note, I wouldn't mind having prisoners back either

Orko's Avatar Praeses

I also miss being an evil overlord and exterminate all thos who stand in my way. Resistance is futile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

There's been some discussion here.
    ETW does behave somewhat different that the previous TWs, so you may want to read some of the guides.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

uzi716's Avatar Ordinarius

I do wish there was a exterminate polulace mode..it would be a lot easier than pacifying the population

After the excesses of the Wars of Religion, deliberate extermination fell out of favor in the 18th century but made a major comeback in the Total War of the 20th Century with further revivals since the.

Dragoons are one option, but some nations have other units that count double (a full repression point each rather than half per unit) that can help quell disturbances.

I'm now stuck with my whole army in a place I supposedly own, apparently unable to appease the populace even the slightest. They have the whole "resentment of occupation" thing going, and it refuses to diminish. I'm not sure whether I should just leave them to it, lest I suddenly find my King gets killed or something.
    Very historical feel, isn't it.

It would be nice to exterminate enemy population and pacify the region. But most of all I miss prisoners you can slaughter.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
    - W. Churchill

I would also very much like a chat with the persons(s) that removed those CLASSIC TW features, to put it mildly.

Mmmm...at the very least, the option should be given to certain nations who have a history of....questionable behavior in their campaigning. But the option should always be there to enforce our rule where it is needed. I mean, after fighting a country in a bloody war for 10 long years, why let their capital get off easy?

And the prisoners are very well missed. Extra money on the side from selling them off was always welcome....or killing them if you could not afford to battle them again. Since capture via musket it out of the question, what if their was a surrender mechanic for the AI that allowed them to lay down their arms if an organized retreat was completely out of the question

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    There's been some discussion here.
    ETW does behave somewhat different that the previous TWs, so you may want to read some of the guides.
    Ah, I'm such a fool. Completely missed those! I always miss stickies in particular for some reason :\

Thanks!

Some very helpful replies, ty all

Problem was indeed solved by just waiting it out a bunch of turns with a full banner army (which I didn't have originally).

Funnily enough, the capital of Spain got over occupation much faster. Smaller populace I guess. Got a handy solution to it all now - I asked Savoy to become my Protectorate. They refused, despite a 5000 gold bounty for it.

That promptly changed when they were stuck in their capital with 50 men, against 1200

Now I'm just taking the nearby territories and giving them to Savoy. No rebellions or need to stall my armies in the towns so far it seems, plus a nice chunk of cash from it too!

well unfortunetly I dont think that the Brits in 1700 decided to viciously sluaghter an entire town like they would have in the mid ages

Quote Originally Posted by 3morelives View Post
    well unfortunetly I dont think that the Brits in 1700 decided to viciously sluaghter an entire town like they would have in the mid ages

True, but there has to be some alternative to suffering rounds of rebel troops. You give them tax breaks and that is their thank you?! I want alternative choices to this nonsense!!!

Yes, my dad(who likes this sort of thing at his age), used to exterminate timur populations in M2:TW, but I can't do the quick-and-easy-way-to-stop-rebellon method, and so I just leave my army there to make them happy and rest(bad for blitzkreig), once they cool down, my army has replenished and I can do that all over again for the next city
    What the hell happened to this WORLD?

After each revolt the level of angriness will lower significantly.
    It's good that you have built a theater but you should also consider the religion.
    French are catholic, britain is protestant. You will need to build a protestant church and convert France to your faith.
    in Empire the newly conquered region will resent you if the majority of the population is of a different faith than yours.

make a church lvl 2, it will double the happiness for the people of that faith. So when you're over 50% you won't have a problem with that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ndefontenay View Post
    After each revolt the level of angriness will lower significantly.
    ... the number of angry people having been reduced. Repeat until peaceful.

Role-playing Russia, taxes were always crushing once all villages had appeared but the local populations would see reason after there were fewer left standing. Peter also liked a big navy. Very Tsar-like feel to it.

MastahCheef117's Avatar Civis

They re-added it in to Napoleon. (Loot, Peacefully Occupy, Liberate)
    Losing battles in Total War since Rome.

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of the French

Shouting the Battle Cry of Freedom - The story of Lt. Col. William J. Barker and the 71st Ohio Infantry

Quote Originally Posted by MastahCheef117 View Post
    They re-added it in to Napoleon. (Loot, Peacefully Occupy, Liberate)
    YAY!!! I can finally make life easier again!(maybe napoleon is as barbarian as medieval people after all)
    What the hell happened to this WORLD?

Quote Originally Posted by british_general View Post
    YAY!!! I can finally make life easier again!(maybe napoleon is as barbarian as medieval people after all)
    Problem is, "Loot" in NTW doesn't pacify the people, it makes them more angry...
    makes sense if you ask me.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Halvars-XII's Avatar Civis

Destroy some industrial buildings and build some theatre or whatever it is, and make sure your churces hare PROTESTANT and assassinate every CHATOLIC that enters your country. And i pormise that you'll have the people happy again with some dragons.

Halvars, guide us, Halvars, teach us, Halvars protect us. In your light we thrive, in your grace, we find security, to your wisdom, we become humble, we live only to serve, Our lives are yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast