Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: DWARF FACTION icon REMAKE...

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Icon7 UPDATE: DWARF FACTION icon REMAKE...

Hi guys,

When I first came across The Third Age Total War I looked at the faction icons and thought: Wow they look great, except ... the Dwarf one loos like it was made in paint!

UPDATE:

How is this guys? (STILL NOT NEAT LAYOUT) :

OLDER:

So I though of redoing it myself, here is what I have done so far. It is just a layout.

But tell what you think! Good layout? Any colour scheme suggestions?

Don't worry about all the gloss/bevel and effects, I can do that later, I just have to get the layout and basic colours right first.

The current one is in here:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Evan

P.S. Remember the template is the shield outline not the whole image!
    Last edited by Evan MF; October 17, 2009 at 04:43 PM.

Default Re: Dwarf Faction Remake...

Good idea and maybe for the color scheme you could do it like a black with gray and a little bronze here and there,just a suggestion.
    you should really rename the title of this thread because you are not remaking the faction...at least i think.
    The signature is being constructed

Danny_K_1's Avatar Praefectus

I had an idea for a Dwarven icon at one point but it was on the basis that the icons were being changed to a shield icon but there not anymore.

Irish guy's Avatar Semisalis

Could you not just make a single thread instead of these countless ones for every idea you get? Call it Evan's idea thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
    Good idea and maybe for the color scheme you could do it like a black with gray and a little bronze here and there,just a suggestion.
    you should really rename the title of this thread because you are not remaking the faction...at least i think.
    It attracts more people though. The moment changed it I got you guys coming in here.

Has too much simmilaritys to OOTMM.. It does looks very good, but you'll have to change the ork banner aswell :O

Quote Originally Posted by Tjens View Post
    Has too much simmilaritys to OOTMM.. It does looks very good, but you'll have to change the ork banner aswell :O
    Not sure where the similarities are apart from the mountain sillhouettes (spelling?) that are still different....

Brego's Avatar Ordinarius

Hmm, the symbols you use might be a little too small, cause when resizing the picture to the right it might be hard to see what it is supposed to be. So maybe it would be better to just use one symbol instead of three.

If im not mistaken, this is about the right size:

Icon10 Re: Dwarf Faction Remake...

Quote Originally Posted by Brego View Post
    Hmm, the symbols you use might be a little too small, cause when resizing the picture to the right it might be hard to see what it is supposed to be. So maybe it would be better to just use one symbol instead of three.

If im not mistaken, this is about the right size:

The border is ment to be the picture edge not. That picture is showing the area around the border because it was only an in-development shot.

Besides look at the detail on some of the other icons...

Too many flat colours, the silver scroll doesn't work.

IMO, it's fine as it is, but could do with tweaks, rather than a brand new colour.

Humm... i have to be honest. I don't like it.
    Here are my reasons:

1 - As Brego said, that image will not look good on a small scale... but I’m not only referring the amount of icons, I’m also concern about the thickness of the lines, which reduces the legibility of the icon.
    1.1 – Those 6 little stars over the crown will totally disappear.
    2 - The image is not centered. It’s easy to see that there is whiter circle on the left.
    3 - The design is to flat. User interface stuff requires more “dynamism”.
    4 –Needs some colors.

I’m sorry if am sounding rude, I assure you that it is not my intention, but not every man who can wield a pencil is an artist, and today’s pencils are Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
    I’m not saying that you should stop. Not at all. You should keep trying to improve, because even creativity needs practice. But I do not consider your design an improvement over the old one.

I’m sorry if am being to honest, and straight to the point. But I think that the reason why you posted this, is to have some feedback and listen to others opinions. So I am giving you mine.

And believe me, an honest opinion is 1000x better than 1000x post saying: “OMG UBBER 1337 STUFF”.

Icon12 Re: Dwarf Faction Remake...

Quote Originally Posted by wazms View Post
    Humm... i have to be honest. I don't like it.
    Here are my reasons:

1 - As Brego said, that image will not look good on a small scale... but I’m not only referring the amount of icons, I’m also concern about the thickness of the lines, which reduces the legibility of the icon.
    1.1 – Those 6 little stars over the crown will totally disappear.
    2 - The image is not centered. It’s easy to see that there is whiter circle on the left.
    3 - The design is to flat. User interface stuff requires more “dynamism”.
    4 –Needs some colors.

I’m sorry if am sounding rude, I assure you that it is not my intention, but not every man who can wield a pencil is an artist, and today’s pencils are Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
    I’m not saying that you should stop. Not at all. You should keep trying to improve, because even creativity needs practice. But I do not consider your design an improvement over the old one.

I’m sorry if am being to honest, and straight to the point. But I think that the reason why you posted this, is to have some feedback and listen to others opinions. So I am giving you mine.

And believe me, an honest opinion is 1000x better than 1000x post saying: “OMG UBBER 1337 STUFF”.
    Hmm.. I wonder whether you read my full post before you posted, because I did imply that the colours would be edited, the glossy effects would be added AFTER some positive opinions about the layout. And, it isn't neatly positioned becasue the picture was taken whilst in development (my fault).

Therefore the only answers I can build from are 1/1.1 and yes I will work on making the line thicker and the images larger.

I respect your opinions anyways.

I've always thought the dwarf icon sticks out like a saw thumb but it's not the actual drawing that needs to get changed, I just think it needs to be recoloured into a more dark earthy kind of look.
    Spoilers are evil, read spoiler below to find out why.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Information not found

SonOfThunder's Avatar Tiro

Hah, at first I thought you were going to remake the whole dwarf faction...and I was thinking, "WHY??" Because I love the Dwarves the way they are!!

But anyway, see that's not the case. To be honest, I've never been dissatisfied with the dwarf icon, but I'd like to see your end result! So far, so good.

Yarrum's Avatar Ducenarius

I think it looks decent at the moment, I'm interested to see how it turns out. On a side note, why do you keep posting this stuff in the main section? There's a submod section dedicated to submods...

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfThunder View Post
    Hah, at first I thought you were going to remake the whole dwarf faction...and I was thinking, "WHY??" Because I love the Dwarves the way they are!!
    Haha I felt the same way. "remake the dwarf faction? But they look beautiful. (in a deadly military sort of way)"

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
    Haha I felt the same way. "remake the dwarf faction? But they look beautiful. (in a deadly military sort of way)"
    Dwarves; The deadliest, most stubborn and cutest fighting force in Middle Earth.

I like the icon. The one in game is good, but it reminds me off Warhammer too much. I love those dwarfs too, but I think it should be more unique. I like the darker feel to this one.

Nah, tbh i don't like it either.

It's not the lack of colours & effects, its the design itself. Not one but three(!) little symbols, all those little stars and a shady layer of what appears to be Durins gate in the background. None of it will be clearly visible in a small scale, no matter what colours or effects you might add.
    And even visible it would be just too much. Imagine Rohan having a banner with a horse and a bow and an axe and the golden hall in the background and a little glimpse of helms deep and the kings crown and the burials hills and whatnot

When you refer to the detail of other factions banners, i guess you're talking about the Elves, Rhun and Eriador. But keep in mind that none of those banners depict any actual symbols, but just sorts of mosaiques.
    Every other faction that uses distinguishable symbols doesn't look any better than the dwarves do (I mean just look at Harad, Rohan or Isengard - how simple can it get? )

So either you change the whole thing into some sort of runic mosaique picture sans symbols, or leave it as it is and maybe just recolour it. The bright blue has always been bugging me
    Last edited by Fulgrim88; October 09, 2009 at 12:44 AM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|>Deus ex Machinegun<|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I might just use the arch, hammer and star, and erase all smaller details...

Blackomur89's Avatar Campidoctor

Nah I don't like it either, the faction symbol could use a change but not that one.
    That is the symbol of the king under the mountain.
    I would suggest a shield and a two-bladed dwarven axe in front of a mountain or a door similar to Durins door.
    2D artist for Call of Warhammer TW; 2D artist for Westeros TW; 2D artist and researcher for The Ruins of Arnor TATW sub-mod; 2D artist for Warcraft TW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast